Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am so effing BORED in this game!

13»

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by idgarad

Originally posted by dave6660

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

Originally posted by kovah

If you're not having fun and none of the above suggestions have worked for you then maybe EVE is not for you. 

NUH UH! If i want to play EVE then CCP needs to cater to ME and change the game to suit ME and make it so i can have everything whever I want it to!!!11

(satire of course. But there are many people who feel that a studio must cater to their every desire and design the game to suit them and only them even though the game in no way shape or form was designed for their particular demographic. As evidenced by the numerous, "EVE IS TOO HARD! CHANGE EVERYTHING!" whines)

How is that 20% layoff working for ya? The l33t HTFU mentality won't do you much good if Eve shuts down in 16 months.

Eve will be doing fine in 16 months.  And people like yourself will still be predicting doom and gloom.

Tell that to the unemployed staff.

Companies lay off staff during rough times.  That does not mean they're closing shop.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

If you're not having fun and none of the above suggestions have worked for you then maybe EVE is not for you. 

NUH UH! If i want to play EVE then CCP needs to cater to ME and change the game to suit ME and make it so i can have everything whever I want it to!!!11

(satire of course. But there are many people who feel that a studio must cater to their every desire and design the game to suit them and only them even though the game in no way shape or form was designed for their particular demographic. As evidenced by the numerous, "EVE IS TOO HARD! CHANGE EVERYTHING!" whines)

How is that 20% layoff working for ya? The l33t HTFU mentality won't do you much good if Eve shuts down in 16 months.

Eve will be doing fine in 16 months.  And people like yourself will still be predicting doom and gloom.

Companies lay off staff during rough times.  That does not mean they're closing shop.

I'm not worried about CCP closing shop. I am worried they will pull the plug on Eve if it ends up on the liability sheet rather then asset. The investors and the CEO shouldn't have any qualms about dropping a 8+ year old MMO to salvage a brand new one (WoD) if things get rough. As many players criticized the last 2 eve expansions as nothing more then WoD test, they need WoD to complete to bring in new revenue. If Eve's margin gets low enough where it can't subsidize WoD's development then they risk having to raise additional outside capital to finish WoD and Dust. Depending on the how the balance sheet looks, in this economy with as much MMO market saturation as there is, would you as an investor give an MMO company that didn't manage their existing product enough to warrant a loan, more money? CCP is not Activision, Vivendi, EA, or Sony. They don't have a large enough footprint of IP to subsidize Eve. I don't think you realize just how of a situation this could be. Could be Hellgate all over again for all we know.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Currently Eve is the only thing CCP has, other than a board game and CCG they dont even make anymore so they would be cutting their own throats (figuratively) if they closed it. They "might" have enough money laying around to finish dust, but i dont see it being a long term success due to the prevalent attitudes in that market, the fact that a new console generation is around the corner and they'd have to redevelop it for that and if they did close Eve there would be nothing "special" about Dust.

Originally posted by Codenak

Currently Eve is the only thing CCP has, other than a board game and CCG they dont even make anymore so they would be cutting their own throats (figuratively) if they closed it. They "might" have enough money laying around to finish dust, but i dont see it being a long term success due to the prevalent attitudes in that market, the fact that a new console generation is around the corner and they'd have to redevelop it for that and if they did close Eve there would be nothing "special" about Dust.

Exactly. So if they go back to the investor, they'ed pony up to finish WoD but the condition would be Eve and Dust get shelved to stop the bleeding. Not a lot of investors or going to want to put new money into a company with a deficit. I give them about 16 month if they can't get this sorted out.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Ok, returning to the main subject here, i do believe EVE to be a sensational game, the problem for most new gamers is that they still tag EVE as an mmorpg, and as most gamers do, people instantly associate that term with most d&d mmos runing out there. But EVE is not WoW, EQ, AION, AOC, LoTR, WAR, Vanguard, FF, etc etc. EVE stands on its own as the most succesful game in its genre, wich is mmorpgfh, being the "fh" for friking hard.

One of the main problem in EVE is that new players will take some time to not only get into the game, but also to have a fair chance of doing pvp (wich is the main focus of this game) and actually not get podded by every1. This is perhaps the weakest point in eve, as there is really nothing much to do in the earliest weeks of the game besides runing some missions, doing some mining, and reading hundreds of forum posts so you can figure out how to play the damn game. Sure there are newcomer corps and the help channel can be sometimes populated by really helpful ppl, but for you to actually be doing some advanced content in the game, pvp, wormholes or even runing lvl4 missions alone, manufacturing, etc, will take some time and a good understanding on how the skill training process works. EVE fails to present a tutorial setup for the newcomers and a start area where you could run the first couple of weeks doing something more appealing.

But in the end, and if you can stick to the game and find a decent corp to help, EVE will unveil its true beauty and everlasting appeal for any pvp player that can really appreciate the word "hardcore".

No doubt that Eve is hardcore. But Hardcore doesn't equate to Unfair. There are plenty of balancing issue that need to be addressed to make the game competitive at all levels and accessable at all levels. The problem is we are fighting the entrenched players who want nothing to change versus a new consumer that has some basic requirements that Eve isn't meeting. The UI is a big roadblock. The structure of how players are guided needs refinement. Eve must adapt and change with the market or it will evaporate.

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

I'm not worried about CCP closing shop. I am worried they will pull the plug on Eve if it ends up on the liability sheet rather then asset. The investors and the CEO shouldn't have any qualms about dropping a 8+ year old MMO to salvage a brand new one (WoD) if things get rough. As many players criticized the last 2 eve expansions as nothing more then WoD test, they need WoD to complete to bring in new revenue. If Eve's margin gets low enough where it can't subsidize WoD's development then they risk having to raise additional outside capital to finish WoD and Dust. Depending on the how the balance sheet looks, in this economy with as much MMO market saturation as there is, would you as an investor give an MMO company that didn't manage their existing product enough to warrant a loan, more money? CCP is not Activision, Vivendi, EA, or Sony. They don't have a large enough footprint of IP to subsidize Eve. I don't think you realize just how of a situation this could be. Could be Hellgate all over again for all we know.

CCP has only one bread winner and right now and eve is extremely profitable, granted, it's not profitable enough to maintain the production pace they had going for their 2 other MMORPGs, but still very profitable.  400,000 subs in a recent interview.

DUST's development is farther along down the road, will require less advertising (all gamer news sources will cover the story of this game) , and will pull the console FPS crowd into the MMORPG market.  It will also grow the eve online brand.

WOD was the odd man out since it's an unknown game, with an unknown market (horror mmorpg?) creating unknown profits...

Out of the three, of course WoD was put on the backburner...

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by nhavas

I'm playing EVE online right now, partly because I heard it was complex and deep, and partly because as an art director I need some artistic influences for my work on an upcoming game, and EVE has always held a soft spot in my heart in terms of graphics.

Deep? Sure, why not, if you can ever get people to hold the same conversation and not blow you out of the sky.

Complicated? Unless you're gaming the market, not really. It's more a question of "Oh, I have a new ship! but wait, I don't have the skills to make it useful". In fact, everything so far has been queuing skills and logging out or running some smple missions / mining.

I try PVP, I get blown out of the sky each time. Even in a Rifter fitted just the way it's supposed to be. I try everything, I die. I don't care about that really because it's just a game but it'd be nice to have at least five seconds before my clone wakes up again. The "complexity" lies solely in realizing that you havent spent two weeks logged out waiting for skills to train so you can use a tech-2 weapon instead of a tech 1.

So, basically, I'm dicking around with missions that give me almost no money, getting ganked constantly, my corporation is dead, and I really have absolutely nothing to do. I'm not going to go through weeks worth of reading to play a simple friggin' video game, seeing as I've already spent plenty of time reading about it and trying out my skills.

What the hell is the redeeming quality of this game?

This is pretty much the problem I had with EvE.  My original goal was to get set up and find a way to make enough credits to easily afford a Plex each month.  Which I ended up being able to do by running LVL 4 missions in a CNR.  No problem. 

But what about after that?  All the missions got very repetitive, and mining...well mining is what it is I guess. 

So anyways, I never PvPed much.  I knew other players had been playing for years and were likely to just blow me out of the sky.  I also didnt like the idea of loosing ships, and in turn, mass amounts of credits every time.  I also didnt care for the idea of really fighting other people because if I did, and destroyed them, then I just set them back terribly, and I dont like taking other peoples things, even if it is just a game. 

So the entire thing became incredibly boring and pointless.  Very repetitive.  People would probably say that I was playing it wrong.  But Eh......maybe its just not for me.  I liked the game up until the point I really couldnt figure out anything to do other than what I'd been doing. 

Thats the problem with sandbox games.   And some would say the benefit.  There's really very few goals the game sets for you.  You have to make the goals yourself.  And I had goals in EvE, but they were few and I achieved them.  After that?  I never could find my groove or invent another goal that seemed interesting too me.  In the end, I just got bored. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

its your problem tbh, thats the point of a sandbox, it is entirely up to you to create an experience you will enjoy.  Im very similar to you, not interested in PVP, so my goals are to earn as much as i can from passive elements of the game (up to 90 mil so far pm) and to get to a point where I can fund some pvp losses, at which point im going to start pveing in null sec, ratting, plexes etc.  The buzz then will come from the very real element of danger gathering ISK in zones where I am most certainly a little fish.  Later I may join a corp with like mind peeps.  Incursions in a corp is starting to appeal as well.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Those players have been playing WOW too long, they are used to being spoon-fed and can't think for themselves anymore.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Muke
    Those players have been playing WOW too long, they are used to being spoon-fed and can't think for themselves anymore.

There is enough information on Eve and 'how to do it' that you can go through Eve just as mindlessly as you can WoW. Requiring a person to sit there for 6 months before they can do anything interesting isn't a challenge. Well it is, but your opponent is Patience or Boredom.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

First off, EVE is pretty much what you make of it. If you don't want to do a LOT of research and study, then solo isn't for you.  I spent almost 6 years in the game. My toon has around 42 million SP at this point, and I have quite the collection of battleships, mining barges and lord knows how many other ships.  In all of that time I've never been a member of a player corp. I'm still with SWA.  I also never left high sec in all that time.  But I did a lot of reading, and experimenting with various load outs.  I left the game (likely for good) after Incursions, as I didn't like where the game was headed, and the attitude that CCP had picked up.

One of the better resources for starting players is EVE University.

http://www.eveuniversity.org/

This is also useful for mission tactics and tips (rat resists, triggers and such).

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

If you want a game thats in many ways like EVE, but with bots/mechs on the ground (with PvE and PvP zones) you might wish to try Perpetuum.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

You won't find a MMO with the depth that EvE has unfortionately. If your bored I suggest taking a break and returning later. I get bored of every other MMO I try because EvE just makes them feel bland and lacking content. Its hard to explain lol

Good luck where ever you end up! 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Eve is not a game. Think of it more like hobby like gardening.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Quirhid

Eve is not a game. Think of it more like hobby like gardening.

EVE miners.... mowing asteroids since 2003...

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by Wraithone

First off, EVE is pretty much what you make of it. If you don't want to do a LOT of research and study, then solo isn't for you.  I spent almost 6 years in the game. My toon has around 42 million SP at this point, and I have quite the collection of battleships, mining barges and lord knows how many other ships.  In all of that time I've never been a member of a player corp. I'm still with SWA.  I also never left high sec in all that time.  But I did a lot of reading, and experimenting with various load outs.  I left the game (likely for good) after Incursions, as I didn't like where the game was headed, and the attitude that CCP had picked up.

One of the better resources for starting players is EVE University.

http://www.eveuniversity.org/

This is also useful for mission tactics and tips (rat resists, triggers and such).

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

If you want a game thats in many ways like EVE, but with bots/mechs on the ground (with PvE and PvP zones) you might wish to try Perpetuum.

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

I joined Eve University. I was docked 24/7 because they were at war and I was too much of a noob to do anything.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Haven't joined a Corp yet as the war dec thing seems a pain if are not interested in pvp. Was not sure however if a Corp can prevent anyone from entering a war with them ?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Was not sure however if a Corp can prevent anyone from entering a war with them ?

Not game mechanics wise.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Dust better not bomb or else WOD will be closing up shop.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by stayontarget

Dust better not bomb or else WOD will be closing up shop.

I worry about it being PS3 only. Maybe I am wrong but I never got the feeling the PS3 sold well to begin with.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Haven't joined a Corp yet as the war dec thing seems a pain if are not interested in pvp. Was not sure however if a Corp can prevent anyone from entering a war with them ?

Not within the game system. But its some times possible through bribes. ^^  Thats why I stayed with SWA for my almost six years. NPC corps can't be war dec'ed. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."