Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am so effing BORED in this game!

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by free2play

EVE has a fatal flaw. In order for it to succeed, the playerbase at large must fail repeatedly. Build it up, blow it up, build it up, blow it up, repeat and rinse. It's pretty, it's fantastic and it's a total scam. Want more proof, go to the test server and see what EVE is like in controlled conditions with limited PvP. Its like watching paint dry.

In a game involving combat people need to be destroyed repeatadly, its the failure that makes the victory so sweet.  Or do you want 'WOW' style 'Balancing' so somehow everyone wins, over and over and over and over.....and over every single day.  In fact hey losing is meaningless, everything is meaningless, lets just have a state called WIN where we all fly about WINING in the same way.  - Think about it rant over! 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by Bladestrom

EVE has a fatal flaw. In order for it to succeed, the playerbase at large must fail repeatedly. Build it up, blow it up, build it up, blow it up, repeat and rinse. It's pretty, it's fantastic and it's a total scam. Want more proof, go to the test server and see what EVE is like in controlled conditions with limited PvP. Its like watching paint dry.

In a game involving combat people need to be destroyed repeatadly, its the failure that makes the victory so sweet.  Or do you want 'WOW' style 'Balancing' so somehow everyone wins, over and over and over and over.....and over every single day.  In fact hey losing is meaningless, everything is meaningless, lets just have a state called WIN where we all fly about WINING in the same way.  - Think about it rant over! 

Exactly.  free2play has this mindset of 'everyone deserves a trophy so that there are no losers'.  That's the problem with WoW and its clones, and the industry in general.  Nobody lets there be a loser, to make victory at all rewarding.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Sheista

Exactly.  free2play has this mindset of 'everyone deserves a trophy so that there are no losers'.  That's the problem with WoW and its clones, and the industry in general.  Nobody lets there be a loser, to make victory at all rewarding.

couldnt put it better myself +1 to you

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

When did  losing in a video game become a real life soul crushing experience?

"If my neighbors  ever found out that I lost my ship and cargo in an online spaceship game the government might take my children away!"

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i have the exact  opposite problem as the op. Running an alliance in a coalition leaves little personal time lol :)

Originally posted by miagisan

i have the exact  opposite problem as the op. Running an alliance in a coalition leaves little personal time lol :)

christ i stopped playing because of that, i mean 30 hours of school 21 hours of work... and when i looked at my xfire gametime and see 71hours  this past week....

and i can't imagine running an alliance

i was just running a 300 man corp...part of an alliance. and i wasnt even part of the alliance council and i was so busy all the time with ingame stuff

honestly i think CEOs of real life companies work less than what leaders do in EvE online.

i stayed in a station for a full week and never ran out of things to do (didnt even have time to spin my ship) 

i had to stop, when eve becomes more time consuming than real life you need a break

and yes you can also play casually, but its not what i want from my EvE experience, besides, high sec is so dangerous compared to 0.0. it got to a point where i was scared to go into high sec. 

i would rather fly my T2 ships in the safety of 0.0 space rather than the hostile highsec... <---edit: im not being sarcastic, its actually true

• ilusiailusia Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Sheista

Hear Hear m8 well said thats what Eve is all about a loss feels like a Loss but a Win hell defo feels like a win u worked for, unlike all the charity MMO's like WoW and such

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Originally posted by Hazelle

Fatal flaw?

It makes both winning and losing all the more memorable.

I remember each and every one of my losses in eve, hell, I even remember the close calls - come to think of it I remember the PvE losses too; I can't really say that for any other game.

In eve death has consequences .

What Consequence?

I can kill/lose 100 ships a month, I can kill/lose 1000 ships a month, I can kill/lose 10,000 ships a month. They are just killmails. Someone gets to grind 60 hrs of thier life away in shitty prison like PvE. Consequence?

I play Video games to have fun and fabricate a sense of accomplishment. Read the threades just before this one. Up to 70 hrs a week and the game is 'working as intended'. 'scuse me? It's broke.

"free2play thinks"? Free2play thinks that anything "not EVE must be a WOW clone" thinking makes you pretty damn narrow minded.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

I notice that the OP has not been back to comment which makes me figure this for just another troll thread.  That being said, I've had the most fun in this game when I've been in fleets with corp mates.  I don't care if we were mining, running IVs or shooting WTs.  After having played so long though I can respect the bored attitude a bit though.  I can't run a IV by myself without falling asleep.  Mining solo?  Heh, snooze fest.  But I've also found that there are other people who DO enjoy that stuff.  Imagine that, people think differently!  Crazy stuff there.

To rinse and repeat the age old saying, Eve is what you make of it.  If you're not having fun and none of the above suggestions have worked for you then maybe EVE is not for you.  It happens.  Fortunately there are a cosmic fawk ton of MMOs out there to be tried these days.

Cheers!

Fatal flaw?

I remember each and every one of my losses in eve, hell, I even remember the close calls - come to think of it I remember the PvE losses too; I can't really say that for any other game.

What Consequence?

I can kill/lose 100 ships a month, I can kill/lose 1000 ships a month, I can kill/lose 10,000 ships a month. They are just killmails. Someone gets to grind 60 hrs of thier life away in shitty prison like PvE. Consequence?

I play Video games to have fun and fabricate a sense of accomplishment. Read the threades just before this one. Up to 70 hrs a week and the game is 'working as intended'. 'scuse me? It's broke.

"free2play thinks"? Free2play thinks that anything "not EVE must be a WOW clone" thinking makes you pretty damn narrow minded.

i go to drink beers with friends for fun, i play eve as a hobby

you play video games for fun, what do you do as a hobby and how much time and effort do you put into it?

i will admit that 70 is quite alot, but its not everyone that is a corp leader even less an alliance leader. if you choose to be one you know what to expect and willingly do so. you dont have to. 

not eve must be a wow clone is definitively not true, but darn close to it. i mean sure you can call tallent trees and expertise trees differently but they always end up being one and the same.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Originally posted by nhavas

So, basically, I'm dicking around with missions that give me almost no money, getting ganked constantly, my corporation is dead, and I really have absolutely nothing to do. I'm not going to go through weeks worth of reading to play a simple friggin' video game, seeing as I've already spent plenty of time reading about it and trying out my skills.

Play something easier then. Like Hello Kitty Online

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Fatal flaw?

What Consequence?

...but you can't receive  a sense of accomplishment without the risk of failure (unless it's an endurance achievment).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nice_Place_to_Visit 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

EVE has a fatal flaw. In order for it to succeed, the playerbase at large must fail repeatedly.

Wimbledon championship has a fatal flaw. In order for one to succeed, all other competitors must fail.

EVE isn't flawed, your logic is.

Test server proves the importance of loss - the game will become pointless otherwise.

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by kovah

If you're not having fun and none of the above suggestions have worked for you then maybe EVE is not for you. 

NUH UH! If i want to play EVE then CCP needs to cater to ME and change the game to suit ME and make it so i can have everything whever I want it to!!!11

(satire of course. But there are many people who feel that a studio must cater to their every desire and design the game to suit them and only them even though the game in no way shape or form was designed for their particular demographic. As evidenced by the numerous, "EVE IS TOO HARD! CHANGE EVERYTHING!" whines)

• polopilipolopili Member Posts: 1

I think the main problem is that the game is just plain BORING. The game requires very low levels of interaction from the player. Exploring, salvaging, missioning, mining, wormhole farming... It's kinda lame that so many players have to pay accounts to play at once in order to enjoy the game. Yeah, you can have fun organizing stuff with your friends and corpmates, but you can do this in just about every other game, thre's nothing special about EVE in that matter. 

The game does have many interesting aspects but sadly, this game often feels like a second job thanks to it's uninteractive nature. I know I'll get the typical reply telling me that's there's something wrong with ME and that EVE is perfect and that's it's just not ''my kind of game''. I love sandbox MMOs but EVE has some serious design flaws that broke the game for me.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by polopili

I think the main problem is that the game is just plain BORING. The game requires very low levels of interaction from the player. Exploring, salvaging, missioning, mining, wormhole farming... It's kinda lame that so many players have to pay accounts to play at once in order to enjoy the game. Yeah, you can have fun organizing stuff with your friends and corpmates, but you can do this in just about every other game, thre's nothing special about EVE in that matter. 

The game does have many interesting aspects but sadly, this game often feels like a second job thanks to it's uninteractive nature. I know I'll get the typical reply telling me that's there's something wrong with ME and that EVE is perfect and that's it's just not ''my kind of game''. I love sandbox MMOs but EVE has some serious design flaws that broke the game for me.

+1 for your first ever post being this one.

EVE is definitely boring on many levels but the same applies to any MMO so I'm not quite sure I grasp your point.  "Serious design flaws" seems to be the new most used expression when discussing anything you personally did not enjoy.  It's not YOU, it's the game's fault for not appealing to you.  Does not make the game bad.  Does not make your opinion bad.  Just means that you have an opinion about a game.

Cheers!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

I will agree to disagree here, 4 months in now and absolutely loving it.  This week finally got my head around PI and spent a good chunk of time engrossed in setting up 2 planets with level 2 production.  Also started researching the markets, and found a couple decent freight routes, so dove right in and created a modest haulage setup.  So at the moment im managing the PI, got hauling to do if i dont fancy missioning, working towards BS and skills, skills to increase profits - monitoring the markets for some profits through remote buying and potentially some haulage as well.  Not went near a ton of content yet : mining, pvp,exploring,faction warfare,incursions,null sec hauling + PI,Wormholes, goes on and on.  

Game has big issues with null sec i get, but if that gets sorted long term, I can see me playing this for years to come.

Appart from null sec stuff for the serious PVPers  this game is incredible, and certainly not flawed.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I will agree to disagree here, 4 months in now and absolutely loving it.  This week finally got my head around PI and spent a good chunk of time engrossed in setting up 2 planets with level 2 production.  Also started researching the markets, and found a couple decent freight routes, so dove right in and created a modest haulage setup.  So at the moment im managing the PI, got hauling to do if i dont fancy missioning, working towards BS and skills, skills to increase profits - monitoring the markets for some profits through remote buying and potentially some haulage as well.  Not went near a ton of content yet : mining, pvp,exploring,faction warfare,incursions,null sec hauling + PI,Wormholes, goes on and on.  

Game has big issues with null sec i get, but if that gets sorted long term, I can see me playing this for years to come.

Appart from null sec stuff for the serious PVPers  this game is incredible, and certainly not flawed.

once you feel confortable with isk, you could try to join a corp inside an alliance that controls some part of 0.0, then your profits will get you into the billions of isks, (but first you NEED to get into a corp thats in an alliance that own 0.0 space) i suggest NC alliances anyone will do)

you willl be hauling shit from high sec to 0.0 sec. if you can handle the dangers and perils of high sec... (honestly you will realize if you are in an alliance controling 0.0, high sec will become a very dangerous place compared to your friendly (blue) territory

you will get to a poing where losing tech 2 ships is no big deal. unless you are flying a tech 2 transport ship with billions worth of stuff in your cargo, but hey, at that point, you have billions already in your bank... 

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Personally speaking I get bored of the game myself. Im on and off of it every 5-6 months signing on to play maybe 60 days and unsub again. When I do come back i check out whats new and its usually nothign that affects me.

***teached Tibus heth how to dance with the ladies!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by nhavas

I'm playing EVE online right now, partly because I heard it was complex and deep, and partly because as an art director I need some artistic influences for my work on an upcoming game, and EVE has always held a soft spot in my heart in terms of graphics.

Deep? Sure, why not, if you can ever get people to hold the same conversation and not blow you out of the sky.

Complicated? Unless you're gaming the market, not really. It's more a question of "Oh, I have a new ship! but wait, I don't have the skills to make it useful". In fact, everything so far has been queuing skills and logging out or running some smple missions / mining.

I try PVP, I get blown out of the sky each time. Even in a Rifter fitted just the way it's supposed to be. I try everything, I die. I don't care about that really because it's just a game but it'd be nice to have at least five seconds before my clone wakes up again. The "complexity" lies solely in realizing that you havent spent two weeks logged out waiting for skills to train so you can use a tech-2 weapon instead of a tech 1.

So, basically, I'm dicking around with missions that give me almost no money, getting ganked constantly, my corporation is dead, and I really have absolutely nothing to do. I'm not going to go through weeks worth of reading to play a simple friggin' video game, seeing as I've already spent plenty of time reading about it and trying out my skills.

What the hell is the redeeming quality of this game?

reading this I can conclude that you start the game without any knowledge+ plunge into the deep and expect to pwn more experienced players from the first minute and earn fortunes without even bothering to think about how you are gonna do just that.

EVE is not WOW, it requires you to actually THINK instead of guiding you through a themepark world.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Eve like many MMO's is quite boring, if you like looking at empty space than eve is for you, If you like waiting in a queu for hours waiting to join the newb guild that eve is for you, if you like mineing (who the hell likes mineing) than eve is for you, if you like running the same PvE missions time and time again then eve is for you, if after you get into that newb guild you like waiting again for hours to go to a PvP mission where your only job is scouting than eve is for you, I guess if you like Home world or the other space sims you may llike eve, there are some interesting chat rooms on eve but many of them you have to speak Eve speak and understand terms that may take you years, if you like intangibles than you may like EVE, if you are a touch , smell and feel person you will prob not like eve.      In short games like WOW and EVE are boring for different reasons but boring just the same

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by Swollen_Beef

If you're not having fun and none of the above suggestions have worked for you then maybe EVE is not for you. 

NUH UH! If i want to play EVE then CCP needs to cater to ME and change the game to suit ME and make it so i can have everything whever I want it to!!!11

(satire of course. But there are many people who feel that a studio must cater to their every desire and design the game to suit them and only them even though the game in no way shape or form was designed for their particular demographic. As evidenced by the numerous, "EVE IS TOO HARD! CHANGE EVERYTHING!" whines)

How is that 20% layoff working for ya? The l33t HTFU mentality won't do you much good if Eve shuts down in 16 months.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by idgarad

How is that 20% layoff working for ya? The l33t HTFU mentality won't do you much good if Eve shuts down in 16 months.

Eve will be doing fine in 16 months.  And people like yourself will still be predicting doom and gloom.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

rather 16 months with l33t players then walking around dressed as a kung fu panda in a themepark.  ^^

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by dave6660

Eve will be doing fine in 16 months.  And people like yourself will still be predicting doom and gloom.

Tell that to the unemployed staff.