Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: A Noob’s First Impressions

Comments

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Harryhausen

Character developement is alot more than just talking. Get real.

What is your personal definition, and what is an MMO that you think has good character development?

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Depth? Seriously?

I've played off and on since launch, there is no depth to the game. It still has major bugs that have been there since launch, and the content is as thin as paper.

I've given the game all I care to now. It is just bad. Repetative doesn't even cover doing the same missions over and over and over again. Then, they add a shiney to the same mission and re-release it...again.

And the skill tree isn't complex, it is just plain idiotic and makes no logical sense. Balance across the board is just awful and made worse with each tweak.

The game MUST go FTP, no one with any sense would continue to pay for it.

This would be a better post if any of it were true...Well, I'll give you the ebenfit of the doubt on the playing off and on since launch part. Unless you can actually cite specific examples?

I've given the game all I care to now. It is just bad. Repetative doesn't even cover doing the same missions over and over and over again.

Can you give an example of an MMO that doesnt have repetitive and or very similar quests?

• MegaMouthMegaMouth Member UncommonPosts: 10

I still play every once in a while and enjoy it when I have time. I definitely consider STO to be more casual and approachable than most MMOs though. This is probably because of the subject matter and I enjoy that.

Originally posted by MegaMouth

I still play every once in a while and enjoy it when I have time. I definitely consider STO to be more casual and approachable than most MMOs though. This is probably because of the subject matter and I enjoy that.

I think I would call myself a hard core casual players =P I like to play a mission or two at a time, but do not enjoy playing for hours at a time in any game. So several times a day I'll log in an do a star cluster mission. If I get ready for something with a more in depth story I'll see whats new in the Foundry and try out one of the recommendations on Starbase UGC:

http://starbaseugc.com/

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

As soon as I needed to use two different computer stations to teleport someone, I knew this game was not written by people who had the slightest knowledge what they were doing. Not to mention the gameplay itself is terrible. One more colossal failure.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Why didnt you wait for the F2P launch and all the updates that will be a part of that? I cant help but remember how the last re-review was done just before Season 4. What is the logic in doing articles on games right before they get a big update?

Eh, the last one had a legitimate reason; the piece had been done already, and they decided to run with it even though Season 4 was on its way. This time, I see no reason for the review this close to the F2P conversion; especially when he's only played it a few hours.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

can i be a borg yet? or is that still only for the morons who preordered the lifetime sub?

until they let me be a borg on a F2P account that i have yet to create, they'd have to pay me to play this POS CoH clone.

Originally posted by SeanBlader

Gene Roddenberry used to tell his writers that Star Trek was about Character Development, and STO doesn't have any.

If by character development you mean the sitting around talking that made up 99% of most Trek episodes, your right, STO doesnt have that. As it turns out most MMO players want to be doing some form of activity rather than just reading lots of text. Go figure!

that must why this game was such a shocking success, because the devs had such a masterful handle on giving the players what they wanted from this franchise...

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The trouble I had with this game was that it's based on something that has so much depth with some of the richest storylines in television history yet when I play the game it's a painfuly shallow ghost of what I expect. I'm going to play SWTOR when it launches and I expect much the same level of workmanship from that game as I did STO.

A few shitty instances just doesn't cut the mustard for these IPs ... FACT!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

its like playing a special ed star trek costume party.

• HarryhausenHarryhausen Member Posts: 11

The same defenders rush in to hack away at anyone that disrespects their crappy game once more.

I am a life long Trek fan. I gave the game every chance I could. It is just so bad, even a hard core Trekkie can't take it for long.

Bugs, shallow content that is so wrong it makes you wonder if they ever saw a Trek episode, and so instanced it feels like you are constantly playing in a tiny shoebox.

Most MMOs are somewhat repetative, the good one's hide it well. STO doesn't even try. The game actually makes you repeat the same content over and over. Not "similar" content, the same exact missions. It gets so boring so quickly, that you wonder why you paid for it.

It's very telling that the bulk of the playerbase is around level 20 more than a year and a half after launch. By the time you level that far, you smack right into the fact that you are doing the same content over and over, get bored, and leave.

Add to that the serious lack of endgame and the hand writing is on the wall.

I see no reason for this to change under FTP.

The way they are setting FTP up pretty much implies that subs are not a priority. Everything is going into the MT store. Most all "content" has anyway to this point, but after FTP, all of it will go in there with just enough given freely to give the illusion of value.

The only thing keeping the game afloat now is that many of the players left playing collect anything that is put in the store. Like their "toy rooms" at home, Trekkers are actually collecting digital ships and costumes as if they were real objects.

Cryptic has seen just how far fans will go to get ever single item in the store whether they need it or not. The entire FTP moel is based on the store supporting the game, not subs because they have been shown over and over again just how much some fans will spend on collecting.

It's a sad substitute for a real game, but there you have it.

Originally posted by Agricola1

The trouble I had with this game was that it's based on something that has so much depth with some of the richest storylines in television history yet when I play the game it's a painfuly shallow ghost of what I expect. I'm going to play SWTOR when it launches and I expect much the same level of workmanship from that game as I did STO.

A few shitty instances just doesn't cut the mustard for these IPs ... FACT!

You must not have played the Featured Episodes:

http://startrekonline.com/feature_episodes

Those are literally the closest thing to playing a Trek episode your going to get.

Most MMOs are somewhat repetative, the good one's hide it well.

Which ones "hide" being repetitive? 

One other thing; the new epsiode of STOked just came out where they interview the new EP, Stephen D'angelo. In this interview it is finally confirmed that Cryptic did not set the release date:

When they aquired the STO rights from Perpetual Entertainment they had the same expriation date that Perpetual did, who had already had the game for 4 years(and not actually done anything). By the time Cryptic took over they only had 2 years left(Peptual had STO from 2004 to 2008 when Cryptic got it, and launch was Feb 2, 2010).

FYI, all of the above are actual facts. Now for opinion, I doubt any other studio except Blizzard could have done more with the game in only 2 years of development.

Lol, compared to STO, all of them. AAMOF, Klingon play was so god awful in how much it lacked content and forced the same missions to grind over and over and over, that the FTP model actually starts them after level 20.

The only way to make it even look like there is enough to do with that faction was to eliminate the beginning and squeeze what little there is to do into the last 25 levels or so.

That is just sad beyond words. 

ROFL, we know Cryptic didn't make the release date. We've known that from the beginning. That's not the point.

They agreed to it! They bragged that they could do it. But, they couldn't. Now they are trying to play catch up. Once you agree to something and promote such as your companie's strength...YOU take on the responsibility for it.

It makes absolutely no difference who set the schedule after you agree to do it. Man, you guys really grasp at straws don't you?

No matter what this crappy company does, you will find another scapegoat for it.

Cryptic made their bed when they agreed to the schedule for the money. Bragging that the short dev time was their specialty only solidifies their guilt.

Lol, compared to STO, all of them.

So just name one then. Which game do you think isnt repetitive? 

I'll just quote what i wrote earlier. You obviously missed it.

"Most MMOs are somewhat repetative, the good one's hide it well. STO doesn't even try. The game actually makes you repeat the same content over and over. Not "similar" content, the same exact missions.". """

"Most MMOs are somewhat repetative, the good one's hide it well. STO doesn't even try. The game actually makes you repeat the same content over and over. Not "similar" content, the same exact missions.". """

Nope, I didnt miss it at all. Lets recap:

1) You said most MMOs "hide" being repetitive

2) I asked you which ones "hide" it

3) You said "all" compared to STO

4) I asked you for a specifc example

5) You didnt give it.

So once again, please give a specific example of an MMO that you think hides being repetitive. 

5) You didnt give it.
    So once again, please give a specific example of an MMO that you think hides being repetitive. 

What part of all is complicated for you? It was obvious to me, anyway.

Even WoW hides it better.

How about this list?

EVE
    GW
    Ryzom
    LOTRO
    DDO
    EQ
    EQII
    Vanguard
    AoC
    Runes of Magic
    Fallen Earth
    Global Agenda
    Lineage II
    City of X
    DAOC
    UO
    LoL
    Atlantica

And I could continue.

I am sure that's what was meant. All isn't a complicated concept.

You are as annoying as the Grand Nagus in the shows.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

5) You didnt give it.

What part of all is complicated for you? It was obvious to me, anyway.

Even WoW hides it better.

How about this list?

EVE

GW

Ryzom

LOTRO

DDO

EQ

EQII

Vanguard

AoC

Runes of Magic

Fallen Earth

Global Agenda

Lineage II

City of X

DAOC

UO

LoL

Atlantica

And I could continue.

I am sure that's what was meant. All isn't a complicated concept.

You are as annoying as the Grand Nagus in the shows.

The only games I've played from your list are LOTRO, AOC, and COX, and those games are all heavily repetitive. I cant tell you how many wolves(LOTRO), Picts(AOC) and people in sewers and warhouses(COX) I have killed in almost identical quests. If those games fit your definition of "not repetitive" I can only imagine the other games on your list are the same way. So thank you for proving my point for me  =)

As HH said, most MMOs, if not all, are repetitive. These obviously are. They are not as repetitive as STO, and what is repetitive is better hidden, or more variable.

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

As HH said, most MMOs, if not all, are repetitive. These obviously are. They are not as repetitive as STO, and what is repetitive is better hidden, or more variable.

Except the 3 games I just discussed do not hide it at all. It is clearly visible from the start. So if you consider those 3 games as 'hiding' their repetitiveness than I can only assume the other games on your list are just as obvious(since you are the one that made the list).

I mean, if TOR were out and its questing is all its cracked up to be, I could see you saying compared to that STO is super repetitive. But the LOTRO, AOC, and COX arent helping your argument at all.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

One other thing; the new epsiode of STOked just came out where they interview the new EP, Stephen D'angelo. In this interview it is finally confirmed that Cryptic did not set the release date:

It was confirmed a long time ago by Cryptic's devs, and I believe Jack as well, that they had the same deadline as Perpetual. Instead of being realistic about what they could do in that time period, they went on about how their great engine shortened development time, and about how they could mass-produce AAA MMOs (Jack's spin there) in an 18-24 month cycle. Heck, when Atari talked about buying Cryptic one of their executives gave the release date they were looking at; STOs devs tried to spin that as some kind of tentative date.

Cryptic would have been far better served being honest about the launch date in the first place, give the reason why they had to stick to it, and then manage their expectations of what they could resonably do in that time frame (i.e. have everyone work on the Federation, and not waste resources on a Klingon faction that is still such a joke that they have to raise the level you unlock them at to hide how barren the Klingon specific content is).

Atari's problem, in the development time department, was that they still expected Cryptic to stick to the 18-24 month development cycle that Cryptic had been bragging about prior to the release, even after CO and STO launched to such horrible reviews from gaming websites and players alike. According to rumors, Cryptic was working on the new NWN game as well as another one, at the same time; Atari should have had an inkling by then that if working on two games at once didn't work the first time, it probably wouldn't be such a great to continue doing that.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan