Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Of all the games I was excited to try out at Eurogamer Expo, Star Wars: The Old Republic was definit

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by d34G13

Just like movies needed to become talkies, games are missing a key component to truly count as the next entertainment medium and that something has to do with the human to digital interaction.

I get where your coming from, but I disagree with the use of the word 'needed'.

Games didnt NEED to have story, they don't NEED to be interactive movies, they don't NEED to be glorified versions of Dragon's Lair.

Some of the best games ever made are not about story at all. In fact, for most MMORPGs are not about story at all and they have sold in their millions.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by maji

Still, it's just that guys opinion. So if you like a generic theme park mmorpg with a star wars skin: rejoice, preorder it, be happy. If you expected anything more: well, tough luck. 

That's the thing it's one guys opinion that it's a "generic themepark MMO" that doesn't make it a generic themepark MMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

Still, it's just that guys opinion. So if you like a generic theme park mmorpg with a star wars skin: rejoice, preorder it, be happy. If you expected anything more: well, tough luck. 

That's the thing it's one guys opinion that it's a "generic themepark MMO" that doesn't make it a generic themepark MMO.

Except it's more then one guy's opinion. It's a lot of guy's opinion. It's definitely my opinion.

The game has good aspects, it will sell well on hype and IP, but I agree with the linked article in the OP fully.

Gamers should cherish this kind of insight pre launch tbh, bcause once we get closer and EA roll out the threat of the 'black list' to anyone that gives it a bad review we won't see it's like again ('it's like' as in honest reviewer views that put truth over advertising revenue) until 1-2 months after launch.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I dont think that SWTOR will be a bad game. Compared to what is out there atm, you could probably call it a good game. Its just that a lot of players are expecting the next step in MMO mechanics and are now disappointed to see the exact same MMO mechanics again (apart from Bioware's trademark, storytelling). These are the gamers imo that want to see more game brought back into the MMO's. The article explained the technical reasons why the oldschool went for the slow tabtarget combat mechanics.

But at the same time you have a lot of players that prefer to play using the same mechanics again that they are comfortable with. For example, I know that a friend of mine wont mind seeing a WoW clone. He wont even think in that way, but will just enjoy the game for what it is.

I compare it to music. Loads of ppl keep listening to the same type of music their whole life without expanding their taste. While others keep looking for something new. Those are just two different approaches. Both groups are still enjoying their music.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I was fairly surprised to read this at a site like Massively they are usually very positive in their writings to keep in the good books of the mmo companys, I presume. Sometimes their articles are mere advertisements for deals. But this TOR one seems to come from the heart, for once, so fair play. I am still going to be waiting for more opinons post launch before I play since the game is heavily sub based.

There's a lot of freer alternatives these days in our austere times so I need to know just why it's so great to open my dusty moth ridden wallet in comparison to free to play MMOs that I can spend on now and again when I have more cash to burn rather than every month or even more if payments are quarterly, half yearly, etc.

• nybratnybrat Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by vesavius

From Brendan Drain @ Massively;

[Mod Edit - Please do not post the contents of an article into a post.]

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/01/mmo-impressions-from-eurogamer-expo-2011-part-2/

The retard played the game for 10minutes, what is there to talk about? I can't take it serious. /thread

• HamlethHamleth Member Posts: 26

10 mns aren ' t enough for you ? 

So take 18 mns more of boring repetitive and "deja vu" gameplay

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/328323/Total-Biscuit-huttball-.html

You have now 28 mn of SWTOR.

world of star wars incoming.  canceled my preorder, waiting for a trial or maybe swtor becomes F2P ;) like many others (Lotro EQ2, War, AOC STO and many many many "new revolutionary brilliant great next gen" mmo.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by nybrat

The retard played the game for 10minutes, what is there to talk about? I can't take it serious. /thread

How does that make him a retard? Bioware restricted the demo to 10minutes maximum. Not his choice.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Just like movies needed to become talkies, games are missing a key component to truly count as the next entertainment medium and that something has to do with the human to digital interaction.

Games didnt NEED to have story, they don't NEED to be interactive movies, they don't NEED to be glorified versions of Dragon's Lair.

Some of the best games ever made are not about story at all. In fact, for most MMORPGs are not about story at all and they have sold in their millions.

I really doubt that statement. Could you give me examples of these MMOS which sold in millions?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Supersoups

I really doubt that statement. Could you give me examples of these MMOS which sold in millions?

Second Life.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

<double post>

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Originally posted by aesperus

How does that make him a retard? Bioware restricted the demo to 10minutes maximum. Not his choice.

Because he is reviewing the whole game based on 10 minutes of very early level, pre release game play

Massively is massively biased against swtor. Every article I have seen there puts the game down in some way. 

Every other site has positive or at least balanced reviews..... who you gonna beleive?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Second Life.

Second life? really? that is the best reference you can come up with? i guess you guys don't even have a proper MMORPG to mention to back up such ridiculous claims.  Second Life is free to play virtual cash shop. We are talking about MMORPG's without story that sold in millions.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Except it's more then one guy's opinion. It's a lot of guy's opinion. It's definitely my opinion.

The game has good aspects, it will sell well on hype and IP, but I agree with the linked article in the OP fully.

Gamers should cherish this kind of insight pre launch tbh, bcause once we get closer and EA roll out the threat of the 'black list' to anyone that gives it a bad review we won't see it's like again ('it's like' as in honest reviewer views that put truth over advertising revenue) until 1-2 months after launch.

GTFO off these forums Vesavius.

You just make  too much damn sense for these parts :P

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

You need to reread what I said and try to understand.

Key words to look out for are 'for' and 'most'.

I said this earlier, and I'll say it again. 

Gameplay doesn't magically change. Not if you play for 20 minutes, 30 minutes or 10 hours. 10 minutes is more than enough time to gauge what the gameplay is like. 

And I think people are reading way too much into the lines about the playtime or the lack thereof.

Personally, I took it as the author commenting on BioWare's piss-poor product promotion and planning. Other games saw fit to allocate resources to promoting their products to their full advantages by having extensive demo stations. BioWare obviously didn't, be that out of incomptence: 

a) did not realise there would be a rush

b) did not plan well enough to accomodate said event,

or they are just apathetic. They knew of (a) and (b) but they just don't care. 

PS. I realise my reply has little to do with you, but I felt it an apt spot of sharing my views re. the playtime in this thread :P

It certainly isn't mine. I can't say what mine is, but I can say I'm in beta. Why should I "cherish" his opinion again?

It certainly isn't mine. I can't say what mine is, but I can say I'm in beta. Why should I "cherish" his opinion again?

Because businesses aim to get people like him into their game. It's how they stay afloat and pump out the products YOU like.

Also, totally irrelevant that you're in some too-little-too-late beta. But I'm sure you are glad you got the opportunity to casually gloat about it, even though it wasn't oh-so subtle. 

And I have seen some beta footage that is absolutely cringe worthy. 

But cherish it all you want. One man's trash, another man's treasure, live and let live, that sort of thing. 

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by stragen001

Because he is reviewing the whole game based on 10 minutes of very early level, pre release game play

Massively is massively biased against swtor. Every article I have seen there puts the game down in some way. 

Every other site has positive or at least balanced reviews..... who you gonna beleive?

If fairness, I wouldn't say Massively is biased against SWTOR. Not only do they cover SWTOR a bunch, I've seen some good points a lot of their writers make. I think they are biased FOR RIFT, actually. But that doesn't necessarily make them against SWTOR.

The only person who had an agenda (or seemed more like an axe to grind) was clearly the writer. As a writer you are supposed to go into something with honestly. Anyone reading how much he wrote clearly can see that did not come from ten minutes of a review. He admitted he spend the beginning of his time trying to access character creation.. character creation. Think about that. He knew he had ten minutes ONLY, and spent the beginning on how he was going to dress up his toon.. for a ten minute testdrive. Does that not strike anyone strange?

It was very easy to see he was miffed about being told by a "nervous" Bioware employee to stop doing what he was doing, and that clearly pissed him off that he got caught. I can imagine his embarrassment as a "pro" being told like some 14 year old noob to "stop messing with the doohickies, son" in front of a line of people who probably laughed at him.

Second, it's clear he went into the game as a "reviewer" with pre-conceived notions. He did not play it just to play it, but intentionally went in looking for things he'd heard about or expected to be lacking. Already going in, his "review" gets skewed on that alone as he poisioned his own well and then drank from it.

Originally posted by empyros

Because businesses aim to get people like him into their game. It's how they stay afloat and pump out the products YOU like.

Also, totally irrelevant that you're in some too-little-too-late beta. But I'm sure you are glad you got the opportunity to casually gloat about it, even though it wasn't oh-so subtle. 

But cherish it all you want. One man's trash, another man's treasure, live and let live, that sort of thing. 

You'll know in dec how I feel about it.

How is it irrelevant in regard to what he said? As well as against a preview where someone played for mere minutes? Gloating how so? It's not lke the person I'm quoting hasn't said multiple times he was in beta as well. He also liked to state quite a bit "don't argue with someone who has actually played the game".

."And I have seen some beta footage that is absolutely cringe worthy." I've seen it in action ..... Your point is?

I didn't trash the guys (P)review I just don't "cherish" it, my first post in this thread was "you can't win them all over"..What was that about live and let live?

I really don't care to know, but if it'll make you feel important~

How is it irrelevant in regard to what he said? As well as against a preview where someone played for mere minutes? Gloating how so? It's not lke the person I'm quoting hasn't said multiple times he was in beta as well. He also liked to state quite a bit "don't argue with someone who has actually played the game".

Because he is not the one playing the beta? Seriously, WHAT bearing does your beta status have on anything here? As I stated, gameplay isn't something that magical changes. Stupid space-rats quests don't just go away and hide in a corner.

."And I have seen some beta footage that is absolutely cringe worthy." I've seen it in action ..... Your point is?

That saying you're in beta doesn't automatically make this game perfect. If you couldn't determine what my point was, then I don't think we'll have any chances of understanding each other.  

I didn't trash the guys (P)review I just don't "cherish" it, my first post in this thread was "you can't win them all over"..What was that about live and let live?

You would do well to take your own advice -- So what if YOU like what you see in the joke-of-a-beta? Why does that mean we all should enjoy it? (Hint; it doesn't.)

PS. I'd like to add that I think the defense "You can't win them all" is a weak one, especially when the game is not out yet. Before a product is consumed, the aim of the producer ought to be for it to be a hit with everyone. That is like the basics of business. 

• JeffJ200JeffJ200 Member UncommonPosts: 17

All Im sayin is that they prolly didnt want him messing with stuff because its easier to keep the line moving if no one changes things. Thats all.

I really don't care to know, but if it'll make you feel important~

Because he is not the one playing the beta? Seriously, WHAT bearing does your beta status have on anything here? As I stated, gameplay isn't something that magical changes. Stupid space-rats quests don't just go away and hide in a corner.

That saying you're in beta doesn't automatically make this game perfect. If you couldn't determine what my point was, then I don't think we'll have any chances of understanding each other.  

You would do well to take your own advice -- So what if YOU like what you see in the joke-of-a-beta? Why does that mean we all should enjoy it? (Hint; it doesn't.)

PS. I'd like to add that I think the defense "You can't win them all" is a weak one, especially when the game is not out yet. Before a product is consumed, the aim of the producer ought to be for it to be a hit with everyone. That is like the basics of business. 

What are you even talking about? All you did here was put a bunch of words in my mouth and call a shrug at a preview, a defense of a game... I guess that means you're all out of contextual arguments.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Bioware cant fix SW anymore it just looks to shit to even buy let alone pay a subsciption for it each month.

Best online games of 2012 will be:

GW 2

Diablo 3

Battlefield 3

Even WoW stays on that list after what 7 years ?

Those 4 games will have a massive playerbase and most others will have a very hard time to survive.

Bioware had a chanse to be on that list but once those 3 mammoths hit the shelves their income will drop so hard...

GW2 no subs

Diablo no subs

Battlefield 3 no subs

WoW Subs

The MMO Market will shift alot i think, WoW might loose / lose alot of players to GW2 and subs might drop as players want to play Diablo instead of wow.

If GW2 is realy good it might even kick WoW from 1st place with active players playing online, add Diablo 3 and some spice to play BF3 / MW3 and you see a few games hold a massive proportion of the mmo/online market.

TLDR:

Bioware missed a golden oppertunity to stand between WoW / GW2 / Diablo3

And with a starwars IP iam realy disapointed by that :(

I guess that means you're all out of contextual arguments.

At least I have you to keep me company.

Oh joy.