Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Of all the games I was excited to try out at Eurogamer Expo, Star Wars: The Old Republic was definit

From Brendan Drain @ Massively;

[Mod Edit - Please do not post the contents of an article into a post.]

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/01/mmo-impressions-from-eurogamer-expo-2011-part-2/

Comments

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

The reason for the combat is not because they can't afford modern server hardware but only because the public cannot afford very good internet connections. There's this thing called "accessibility".

I also think 3 months is plenty long enough to do the tiny insignificant tweaks to the character creator that were needed. Of course they freaked out pretending it wasn't even done, they don't want people like you going onto forums and saying "oh noez all hope is lost" about a missing "create character" button or some buggy costume pieces that needs small tweaks.

This is one of those threads. OP saw something he didn't immediately orgasm over and instantly categorized it as "bad".

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought no quests would entail killing X of Y? Aren't those only bonus quests? As in quests you don't have to do to progress the story?

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought no quests would entail killing X of Y? Aren't those only bonus quests? As in quests you don't have to do to progress the story?

Those are mostly bonus quests...

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

The reason for the combat is not because they can't afford modern server hardware but only because the public cannot afford very good internet connections. There's this thing called "accessibility".

I also think 3 months is plenty long enough to do the tiny insignificant tweaks to the character creator that were needed. Of course they freaked out pretending it wasn't even done, they don't want people like you going onto forums and saying "oh noez all hope is lost" about a missing "create character" button or some buggy costume pieces that needs small tweaks.

This is one of those threads. OP saw something he didn't immediately orgasm over and instantly categorized it as "bad".

i beg to differ with your first statement.

12 years ago a game came out ( Asherons Call ) that allowed people to dodge magic and arrows and was 100% skill based when fighting both Mobs and People and back then internet was on 56k.

the reason combat is dumbed down so much in all these games like WoW is because people keep buying them so the game companys dont have to change stuff [mod edit].

at least age of conan tried to change it up with their melee combat.

bleh guess i was just lieing to myself when i hoped star wars would be somthing different.....

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Just a reminder : NDA has not been lifted for SWTOR. You can say you are in beta, but absolutely nothing else.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by vesavius

Final thoughts

Given how much money is being thrown at Star Wars: The Old Republic, I was genuinely surprised that BioWare had stuck with the WoW gameplay model down to the last detail, even when it didn't work very well or suit the setting. If all you're looking for is a new Star Wars-themed MMO with familiar gameplay, then SWTOR is sure to be a big hit with you. I personally left the demo at Eurogamer Expo distinctly underwhelmed and a little bit disappointed.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/01/mmo-impressions-from-eurogamer-expo-2011-part-2/

I am not sure what to say when I read this.  What was this person expecting? Tons of money thrown at something instantly makes it the most uber, innovative game?  Idk, everything I have heard from the internetz (and one lucky friend in beta) is that the game is not going to be breaking any moulds, but that it's solid game.  If you like the formula used by previous games, this one will be good for you.  Not sure what people are expecting.....It's a solid game with a good story, pretty much all I have heard.

Also is it possible they cancelled the character because they didn't want everyone sitting there for two hours trying to figure out how to maximize the boob size on their twi'lek?

Originally posted by DLangley

Just a reminder : NDA has not been lifted for SWTOR. You can say you are in beta, but absolutely nothing else.

Thanks DL,  perhaps what I mentioned was a little to direct...  

Looks like I'll have to tone it down a ton.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by DLangley

What is the best way to ask you questions regarding your actions on these boards?

PM or emails to community?

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by I_Return

pretty much what all veteran mmo players expected, another wow clone to make money,

Bioware's co-founder admitted it too earlier this year.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Didn't even say anything specific...lol

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

pretty much what all veteran mmo players expected, another wow clone to make money,

No, they didn't.  They said it was a touchstone,   that there were basic fundamentals of creating MMOs, and if you didn't follow some basic MMO rules, you were doomed to fail,  they didn't say that it would be a WoW clone.

For example  Wildstar said they used Firefly as a touchstone... does that make it a Firefly clone?   Really?  ..... Really?

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Well pretty much exactly what I thought yet another MMO that plays like WoW lucky for me I will not pre-order or play. Don't understand why these devs just can't make something new and why people keep putting out money for the same game.

Edit: At first I wanted to play this game not going to lie but as more and more details came out I decided against playing.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Can't win them all over.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by maskedweasel

No, they didn't.  They said it was a touchstone,   that there were basic fundamentals of creating MMOs, and if you didn't follow some basic MMO rules, you were doomed to fail,  they didn't say that it would be a WoW clone.

For example  Wildstar said they used Firefly as a touchstone... does that make it a Firefly clone?   Really?  ..... Really?

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

Breaking ANY of WoW's rules is "dumb". Hunh?

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Well I do not see what's wrong with that. If the title is successful than obviously there was a demand for it.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Interesting.  Ah well, can't please everyone.  A few things about his comments:

1)  The guy  must have been living under a rock if he expected SWTOR to be anything but your standard themepark MMO. He actually sounds surprised by it.

2)  10 minutes in the tutorial area is not going to tell you anything about a game, and is not enough to warrent writing a longish review with any accuracy.  I don't know of a single game in existence that can capture someone's attention with their tutorial area.

3)  The concern he has about the character customization screen is ill-founded.  Maybe it was just recently finished and wasn't complete at the time he played, or maybe BioWare just wanted to keep the demo confined to a specific storyline, so they didn't want players being able to pick any race/class they wanted, but character customization is completed and looks pretty good, per PC Gamer, who saw it first-hand.  

4)  He's incorrect about his responses to the voice acted quests not making a difference.  I mean, he's correct about them not making a difference in the tutorial/starter area, but he shouldn't expect them to when the starter areas are always on a guided path.  Once he gets out in the "real world," many of the decisions you make do, in fact, alter things.  I mean, this is MMO 101 stuff:  Starter areas suck.  It's like the guy never played an MMO before.

5)  His comments about the game controls were truly the first I'd seen anywhere that stated that combat was "clumsy."  Everyone I've seen commenting previously has stated that the combat in this game was really tight.  His experience was completely the opposite of what others have experienced.  And again...he sounds surprised when he talks about it being your typical "tab target" combat.  How can this be surprising to anyone who's followed this game for any amount of time?  Again, it's a standard themepark style MMO.  

6) He states that BioWare has copied the "Wow model down to the last detail."  He played the game for 10 minutes in a starter area.  I think it's pretty safe to assume that he didn't get to experience all the little wrinkles that BioWare put into the game.  

Most of the reviews of this game have been very positive, and many of them have been done by people who got much more than 10 minutes of game time in.  

Originally posted by Lexin

Well pretty much exactly what I thought yet another MMO that plays like WoW lucky for me I will not pre-order or play. Don't understand why these devs just can't make something new and why people keep putting out money for the same game.

Just because you've played every MMO since wow doesn't mean we all have, I've played one MMO longer than two weeks since 2005 that was AOC. Only ever got to lvl 30 or so in WOW, and quit.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

Yes. Regardless of what people think they are entitled to, all game companies are in it to make money. People love Star Wars, People love WoW. Chocolate in my peanut butter. Nothing innovative in the recent years has been successful. I'd rather have a game that plays like WoW and is very solid and enjoyable then another Auto Assault or Tabula Rasa that gets shut down quick.

Yes.. the WoW rules... the fundamental principles that every company has tried to emulate, but none of them were close to.

Polish

Ease of Use

Functionality

Range of play

Its a touchstone,  not a CloneStamp.   These games have some similarities,  but they are not even remotely the same.  

Wait so SWTOR=WOW up and down and side to side? Is that what you're saying?

If so there's something you're missing here, it's called context. *stomps and curses NDA"s*

Its a touchstone,  not a CloneStamp.   These games have some similarities,  but they are not even remotely the same.  

Now come on...

I get your a rabid supporter of the title, but really...

Remotely?

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Lexin

Just because you've played every MMO since wow doesn't mean we all have, I've played one MMO longer than two weeks since 2005 that was AOC. Only ever got to lvl 30 or so in WOW, and quit.

Thank you for assuming I have played every MMO since WoW. 

Now come on...

Remotely?

Well, ...  I can't really say exactly how I feel on the topic.  I can't really say much at all.  Remotely .... maybe one step too far, but I can't concisely explain my POV.. so,  I'll leave it at remotely.

I think I'm going to go somewhere now.  I feel I'm going to get in trouble staying here on this topic....

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

HATE HATE HATE HATE

sounds like the guy was just pissed he has to wait in line to play. They specifically told you what you could do on the demo and your tried to do otherwise. If he did his research or followed anything on the game he would of know it was a classic style mmo, no big suprise there.

I have no patience for ignorance :(

Now come on...

Remotely?

Well, ...  I can't really say exactly how I feel on the topic.  I can't really say much at all.  Remotely .... maybe one step too far, but I can't concisely explain my POV.. so,  I'll leave it at remotely.

Well, from the information freely available on the net alone I am sure you can do better then that :P