Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Old Republic preview from PC Gamer

Here is a nice preview of TOR from PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/30/the-old-republic-preview/

"I’ve played The Old Republic at trade shows and at press events multiple times, and always come away impressed. But I’d never had the chance to disappear into the game properly. Here, with no distractions, I simply vanished into it. In six hours, I burned through from level one to level ten, barely looking up. It was a brilliant, brilliant experience – polished, flowing, with quests that smartly escalate and a story well told."

Sigh, I'm mainly jealous that he got to play the game, but it looks like he had a lot of fun and he says some really positive stuff about the game. I like this part about character creation:

"I was surprised at the flexibility available in TOR’s character selection – there are far more examples of body types, haircuts, beards and random facial accruements than I’m used to in WoW, say. I was so surprised by just how fat your character can be, I’ve hereby vowed that every character in my menagerie will be artfully modelled on a lardier version of the Pillsbury Doughboy. Even the ladies."

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Thanks for sharing Xondar, good read.

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Awesome read!  The haters are becoming more and more marginalized as we get closer to launch.  ;)

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Satarious

Awesome read!  The haters are becoming more and more marginalized as we get closer to launch.  ;)

I noticed that there seems to be a lot of negative threads here, so I decided to post something positive from someone who has actually played the game.

As your avatar once said: "This aggression will not stand, man."

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Xondar123

Here is a nice preview of TOR from PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/30/the-old-republic-preview/

"I’ve played The Old Republic at trade shows and at press events multiple times, and always come away impressed. But I’d never had the chance to disappear into the game properly. Here, with no distractions, I simply vanished into it. In six hours, I burned through from level one to level ten, barely looking up. It was a brilliant, brilliant experience – polished, flowing, with quests that smartly escalate and a story well told."

Sigh, I'm mainly jealous that he got to play the game, but it looks like he had a lot of fun and he says some really positive stuff about the game. I like this part about character creation:

"I was surprised at the flexibility available in TOR’s character selection – there are far more examples of body types, haircuts, beards and random facial accruements than I’m used to in WoW, say. I was so surprised by just how fat your character can be, I’ve hereby vowed that every character in my menagerie will be artfully modelled on a lardier version of the Pillsbury Doughboy. Even the ladies."

Seriously guys, we all know in terms of character customisation Wow blows.

It's like saying hey they have color CRT TV when you can have a 3D Flat screen...

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Originally posted by Deewe

Seriously guys, we all know in terms of character customisation Wow blows.

It's like saying hey they have color CRT TV when you can have a 3D Flat screen...

image  I am hoping that the 2 MORE months and 19 days that I have to wait for this game to release... they work a bit more choice into the character generator.  For an example... Aion was the best character generator I've ever seen.

No bitchers.

I noticed that there seems to be a lot of negative threads here, so I decided to post something positive from someone who has actually played the game.

As your avatar once said: "This aggression will not stand, man."

Or, my favorite comeback:  "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Wow clone!

Wow with lightsabers!

Single-Player RPG!

(sorry, just preempting the inevitable hater talking points.)

Anyway, great stuff in that previews.  Like the bit about character customization, and LOVE the part about the lack of "kill 10 of this mob" quests.  

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"The Old Republic is a monster. I can’t wait to play more."

RAWR!

Great read. They are getting an awful lot right in the mmorpg department. Fun combat, immersion, variety in gameplay options, and rich, large, open worlds are a few of my personal prerequisites. They all look to be represented.

On top of that there's the alignment system and hard choices to make which adds a layer to character development which most mmorpg's are simply lacking.

I'm more and more hopeful that this will be that WOW challenging themepark mmorpg we weren't allowed to have in the past years of jadedness and disappointments.

The only thing I am still very curious about is the scope of endgame content and how long it will take people to get that "been there, done that" feeling. If they manage to make endgame a long lasting, fun, experience, with plenty of long term incentives, for solo players and groups, there will be no stopping SWTOR.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

So much information, I feel I may not need to play the game. I can probably see all the content on youtube. Save myself some money.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ExostoticExostotic Member Posts: 26

Gah! I want my Beta key sooo bad now. I was feeling a little down about the game lately because of all the hate. This made it sound awesome

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Exostotic

Gah! I want my Beta key sooo bad now. I was feeling a little down about the game lately because of all the hate. This made it sound awesome

I tis their job to make it sound awesome. They leave a ton of stuff out but not suprising.

Never listen to the haters.  They're just a bunch of amateurs, man.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Bioware are not a bunch of dummies, they know how to make a fun and entertaining game. Cant wait to get my hands on SWTOR.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I tis their job to make it sound awesome. They leave a ton of stuff out but not suprising.

God forbid someone just sits down, plays the game and likes it! No, that wouldn't be possible! It must be his job to say a game he's just tried out is awesome!

He pointed out specific things he found fun and enjoyable, that lends veracity to his article.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

How is PC Gamer obligated to make the game sound awesome?

Explain yourself.

Originally posted by Kost

Explain yourself.

First, they refuse to listen to a positive review because it's from an unknown Irishman.  Now that we have an established reviewer giving it stellar reviews, they again refuse to listen and blame it on the man for rigging the system.  You can't win with these haters.  It's emotional.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Explain yourself.

Because if it's a positive review about any MMO other than GW2, it must be because BioWare is holding the reviewer at gunpoint and making him say nice things about their game?  

• Interesting take on it. Definately can't wait for Dec 20th.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Originally posted by DarkPony

"The Old Republic is a monster. I can’t wait to play more."

RAWR!

Great read. They are getting an awful lot right in the mmorpg department. Fun combat, immersion, variety in gameplay options, and rich, large, open worlds are a few of my personal prerequites. They all look to be represented.

On top of that there's the alignment system and hard choices to make which adds a layer to character development which most mmorpg's are simply lacking.

I'm more and more hopeful that this will be that WOW challenging themepark mmorpg we weren't allowed to have in the past years of jadedness and disappointments.

The only thing I am still very curious about is the scope of endgame content and how long it will take people to get that "been there, done that" feeling. If they manage to make endgame a long lasting, fun, experience, with plenty of long term incentives, for solo players and groups, there will be no stopping SWTOR.

I couldn't agree more, man.  If the end game keeps people busy for a long time, then SWToR is going to be an unstoppable juggernaut.  I got my preorder on day one based on the fact that it is Bioware and what I was hearing was really good.

It is hard to see where this could go wrong.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Explain yourself.

First, they refuse to listen to a positive review because it's from an unknown Irishman.  Now that we have an established reviewer giving it stellar reviews, they again refuse to listen and blame it on the man for rigging the system.  You can't win with these haters.  It's emotional.

Just like in 'Nam, Dude.

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

I am an SWTOR fan but i will put a small damper on this, he only played 6 hours.  Remember your first 10 levels in...

Fill in the blank, Rift, Aion, AoC, WAR, etc.

I am not saying that SWTOR will be bad, i personally think it will be good but you can put much into a 6 hour play session preview.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

For all the talk about haters in this thread, I sure don't SEE any hater posts, so what are you all going on about?  Just enjoy the info from a good preview and be happy, ffs.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

I loved the read. i also played it on gamescom and i can't even agree more.

Originally posted by just1opinion

For all the talk about haters in this thread, I sure don't SEE any hater posts, so what are you all going on about?  Just enjoy the info from a good preview and be happy, ffs.

+1
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

General impression I am getting from various people I know in RL are similarly matched by the preview.

I am very thankful that it is 80 days away though since the holiday release schedule is now in full swing.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Ehm guys ... review is done by certain Tim Edwards, guy that gave Cataclysm verdict 93/100, to quote him about Cataclysm : ' A triumph. Competitors beware: this is the best MMO in the world. Once you're hooked it's impossible to stop playing ' ...

Seriously, I wouldnt take him that much seriously ... :P