Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine That Vanguard Was Going Free to Play...

Bear with me.

Imagine that Vanguard was going free to play. Just imagine it. Picture it in your mind. Now tell me how you feel...

Comments

• najob75najob75 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Anybody seen this?

Smedley  on Massively regarding Vanguard:

"And Smedley agreed. "You know what, they were absolutely right. We assigned more development resources to it, even though that game is smaller. We're seeing such a huge interest in that game -- it's really been renewed -- that we're taking another close look at it. Vanguard players and people who have never tried might be in for some... interesting news in the near future."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/free-for-all-smedley-helps-us-understand-free-to-play/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by najob75

Anybody seen this?

"And Smedley agreed. "You know what, they were absolutely right. We assigned more development resources to it, even though that game is smaller. We're seeing such a huge interest in that game -- it's really been renewed -- that we're taking another close look at it. Vanguard players and people who have never tried might be in for some... interesting news in the near future."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/28/free-for-all-smedley-helps-us-understand-free-to-play/

Smedley is now a fan of the F2P model, pretty sure the EQ2 Extended server is bringing in cash hand over fist and he was never one to overlook a good opportunity to make a buck.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Anybody seen this?

This is really interesting :)

I've never buried the possibility to play vanguard again some day.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Is this really a possibility ? Wow ! This could revive Vanguard.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

It might be a good thing... i recently had a go at resubbing to vanguard but starter area was totally dead adn i could not get myself motivated to play..

So having lots of people there would be good :)

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Voted Other.

I'm not a Vanguard player, but I'm feeling excited about Vanguard as long as it's NOT free to play. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

This has gotten me some ants in my pants now and I am thinking of moseying down to SOE and getting myself a Vanguard sub. Damnit ! I already have three MMORPGs on my computer right now.

Has anyone given any thought as to how the f2p will be designed for Vanguard ? Shizz I am so hyped about the prospect of this game getting the attention it deserves finally.

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Hmmmm, Vanguard, Free to Play...

Not sure what difference it would make.  Part of the challenge is to imagine how the cash shop would work.  What would players be buying?  Chunks?  Rares?  Experience bonuses?  Dungeons?  The only fee I see really working and acquiring wealth would be the "Leave the IoD" charge.  After that it's an open world and I don't see the what the product would be.

In some ways it is alread "Free" as part of the Station Subscription.

Maybe the cash shop needs to sell bug fixes?  I'd pay twenty bucks to fix dual-wield graphics.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by kitarad

Is this really a possibility ? Wow ! This could revive Vanguard.

It will only revive Vanguard if they follow LOTRO FTP model,going the EQ2X way will do nothing for Vanguard. Smed thinks he is smart and many EQ2 players are pissed off because of the way that they now promote EQ2X.

They want to direct new players to the FTP model because thats where the money will be spent. Vanguard would still be the sad and under populated games it is today. FTP system for Vanguad need to allow FTP players to play on one of the current servers or at least both servers.

Without this system it makes not one bit of differance if Vanguard goes FTP to any of the current player base. The people who have stuck with it will get nothing but xp bonus weekends lol.

55 Dread Knight

55 Bard

55 Disciple

50 Tuurgin Shaman

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

What's keeping me from getting into this game is the threat of it going F2P. If they could guarantee that the game was going to get additional development like it's started to get, and that it would remain P2P without a cash shop, I would re-sub to it.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by Ceridith

What's keeping me from getting into this game is the threat of it going F2P. If they could guarantee that the game was going to get additional development like it's started to get, and that it would remain P2P without a cash shop, I would re-sub to it.

I agree. Hopefully there is a new server for the f2per's

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'm a Station Pass subscriber and Vanguard player. While a price change doesn't affect me, having it go F2P will open the door for a lot more people to try out vanguard and see how much there really is to that beast of an MMO.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont think it will help anything now anymore.

Really, Vanguard is the perfect PvE MMO and nobody is playing ... so meh, whatever.

• carrie01carrie01 Member Posts: 77

I like the idea of F2P because my biggest problem with VG is the low population. I think VG would work as an F2P because it would fit nicely with Vanguard's "appearance tab", which would make it easy to implement a lot of purely cosmetic items (that would be sold in the item shop). Flying mounts would also be a strong item in VG's item shop. They could also require cash shop items to warp to higher level rift stones but that might piss people off too much... I think it could be a source of revenue if the pricing is cheap enough to buy a lot of them in bulk... The world/quests/content should be completely open and f2p though...

Favorites: Vanguard SOH, Final Fantasy XI, Dungeons and Dragons Online

Future:
    Final Fantasy XIV 2.0
    EverQuest NEXT
    Wizardry Online
    Vanguard F2P edition (fingers crossed)

http://vgrpgblog.blogspot.com/

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I don't see Vanguard going free to play.  If it did, I would have no trouble installing it again and playing it.  Now that Sony has gotten Galaxies taken away from them, maybe they will fix Vanguard.  Yeah, I know, no chance of that really.

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Voted other as i'm a "former" Vanguard player that would be excited to come back if it went FTP. Quit playing as I think it's pretty close to criminal to charge for a game with zero support. I don't think VG will EVER get FULL support so would only support some form of FTP where I decide how much i'm willing to pay.

• trouser03trouser03 Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by Aquazen

I agree. Hopefully there is a new server for the f2per's

I think that is a great idea, and would also be a nice experiment.

Would the ftp server have a higher pop? (I would think so)

Would the ftp server have a buch of ass clowns? (I don't get that vibe on EQ2X)

Which server would generate more $$ for SOE?

Would some on the paying server leave for the ftp if the pop was higher?

I know the current server has a great community, but there are lots of people that just simply need a fuller server to enjoy the game for any length of time. With a FTP server, I imagine for the first time EVER, (I played in beta and release) Telon could have the numbers it was designed for.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

So I just resubbed myself and I have to say that if it went free to play it would absolutely keep my business.  The game is one of the best on the market.  It has a huge expansive world, three different spheres of play, interesting and unique character classes and races.  Sure it has a few bugs still, and its character models could use a little work but the biggest turn off for me regaurding this game has always been the lack of a player base.  Having seen the population effect that going F2P has had on other games, I honestly think its in the interest of SOE to do this.  More active players whether free or not lead to more subscriptions which leads to higher income for companies involved.  All I can say is why wouldn't they go there?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err ?

They are guaranteeing that.

These threads "plz make Vanguard f2p" are from users of this site. SOE never agreed to that.

Personally I would only tolerate f2p if it would be on a new server. I dont want my current game polluted by the usual f2p people. I got enough of those on IoD already.

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Only a Handful of pay to play Online Games are left, I wouldn't even call them MMOs, and people are still up in arms about it... It's over, the model has shifted.

• sartoksartok Member Posts: 79

Im poor and i'd no joke pay $1000 if it had a full FFA server again. Best time of my gaming life. Have not played for 2 years....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kyleran

Anybody seen this?

Smedley is now a fan of the F2P model, pretty sure the EQ2 Extended server is bringing in cash hand over fist and he was never one to overlook a good opportunity to make a buck.

Smedley is a fan of money, and right now does it sounds like F2P games have the potential to bring in more money.

If GW2 becomes big I easily see him change his mind to B2P instead if it potentially brings in more money.

The current MMO trend is more and more DLC, that might continue or change. 

But F2P did revitalize games like DDO who was dying so trying it for VG do make sense.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

How could you implement Vanguard as F2P when, for starters, there's no restrictions as to zones because the game is open world?  Due to the fact that the game world is broken up into chunks which require tiny hickups to fully load, you may could restrict zone access that way, otherwise I don't see how VG would exist as F2P unless it was something like lots of class/races for sale in an item shop and then lots of P2W stat buffs and gear to make up for the fact that there wasn't a whole lot of content they could invision a way to restrict from F2P players.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Its still a SOE game so no.

• BigjitBigjit Member Posts: 59

If it's anything like EQ2 extended or what ever the F2P name is, I'd avoid it like the plague.