Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Superhero Face Off: DCUO V CoH

2»

Comments

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

After reading many threads in this and other sites, I got to the conclussion that CoH is the Eve of superhero games. If you say anything bad about CoX and a gang of hardcore fans will jump in and tear you into pieces. I guess 5 years of being the only superhero mmo had its advantages.

Good thing that soon all three major superhero mmos will be freemium so there is no need to ask for advice. People can try them all and decide by themselves.

• opposedcrowopposedcrow Member Posts: 55

I think another big factor to consider is that because it's older, CoH can run on systems that couldn't hope to run newer titles like Champions Online or DCUO (like mine).

Maybe down the road once I get a better computer I'll be able to compare the three superhero MMO's for myself but until then I'll be sticking with CoH Freedom simply because it's the only option I have. Not that I mind though, I'm enjoying my time with it despite the dated graphics and somewhat unintuitive U.I.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

I'll probably get into DCUO's F2P if I can play for free on the PS3.

I doubt I'll ever play CoH/V again because after 5 years of CoH/V (and about $900 lighter) I decided to get a Lifetime subscription to Champions Online (around $300) before CO even came out. Even after CO went F2P, I'm still getting more than a F2P player gets in CO and thus CO maintains my initial investement in it.

If Paragon Studios / NCSoft would sell a Lifetime subscription to CoH/V, I'd probably buy it and continue to play with the original characters I created in CoH/V and quite likely create new ones. I don't see them doing that any time soon though so CO and perhaps the PS3 F2P DCUO will provide me with Superhero MMO fun.

In my book, CoH/V lost.

• Servant-XIIServant-XII Member Posts: 34

I've been playing CoH for the whole run and CO and DCUO have a lot to be desired in comparision.

The number one turnoff for me was the jerky animation of both CO and DCUO. Throwing a a punch looked like the were throwing their shoulder out of socket. This lends to the overall look of the game and that was a huge turnoff for me. The character movement doesn't flow fluidly like CoH.

Also, I keep seeing people mention that the graphics are dated and these same people never mention the Ultra-Graphics mode that was implemented quite some time ago and requires higher end cards to run in. This just goes to show that there are a lot of people who know little to nothing about the game and how it has changed over the years. They just parrot what others have said having no experience with the game which is rather annoying.

For those actually interested in the Ultra Mode Settings of CoH, just click here for a very well done explanation. No, the graphics engine has not been upgraded because the game came out 7 years ago (which should tell you something  if people are still playing it and comparing other superhero MMORPGs to it as the standard). They have to be sensitive to the customers that they have who are still running on the same system they had when the game came out. The fact of the matter is not everyone is running high end computers (the vast majority are not) to run the best graphics. It's just smart business to update what you can without alienating your customer base.

However, I agree wholeheartedly that the game should have dynamic content. It's rather stale when the guy you just stopped is back out with no time in between for even a jailbreak. And the trial grind is another annoying feature as people just do the same thing over and over.

It all boils down to trying the game for yourself and deciding if it's the type of game you want to play. But in a head to head, CoH wins every category in my opinion. Hands down.

CoH Supergroup: The Millennium Paladins

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

So now MMORPG.com is supporting this VS mentality? Grand....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Apples vs. Oranges... go!

Both are fruits, but one tastes like citrus and the other like... um... apples?

CoH and DCUO are both superhero MMOs, but are complete opposite ends of the spectrum. 

DCUO caters towards the casual crowd who probably care less about playing with others than most.  It also tends to have an action-oriented feeling where reflexes and quick decisions matter more than learning to play your chosen class as efficiently as possible. 

CoH is the complete opposite.  The gameplay is still heavy on the action, but your success in a fight depends more on being PROactive than REactive.  The toughest fights in the game are trivial when players know what to do beforehand and proper planning takes place, rather than have players who can react to changing situations.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Overall CoX is a better game, but DCUO is not bad at all. The game has some original ideas and its definitely a learning curve for both the players and the devs i'm sure.

They made mistakes, but I have no doubt SoE will turn it out. I recently resubbed to get my free green lantern pack and try that out, the light powers are awesome and superbly done. We'lll see if it holds me this time.

The missions are at least not so much a grind like CoX

• ShukanoShukano Member UncommonPosts: 57

Someday, in the distant future, someone will merge all 3 superhero mmo concepts and we'll have a baby we can all be proud of. DC didn't do it, Marvel failed before it even released, and Champions well... it was a good attempt at CoH 2.0. Maybe Darkhorse or Image comics can come up with something, otherwise someone will just have to invent a new IP again like CoH did.

How about a super violent Watchmen or Kickass mmo....lol. But seriously....

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I always thought it was funny how CO felt like CoH but worse...much worse...I think Cryptic were one hit wonders personally. Kinda like Brad McQuaid and Richard Garriott.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

DCUO isn’t making any friends as it stands.  But all that is bound to change when the game goes F2P in October, so long as it follows the friendly EQ2: Extended model. 

This one made me scratch my head. I admit, I haven't played EQ2: Extended, namely because of how turned off I was. Three races, 4 classes, and basically you're unable to play a competative character without spending a fortune especially come end game.

If DCUO is anything like EQ2: Extended, I would run the other way screaming.

• Kristin13Kristin13 Member Posts: 6

Champions is actually good now and better than these two games. I liked DCUO but they force you to group with complete idiots and I don't have time to befriend people online to be in a league and i won't join one and just be some name on a list. Not to mention champions is sooo freaking crowded and now SWTOR is (CoH is desolate, i'm on there now, i have characters on all servers and a handful of people are on, going to cancel it)  but because of the other two games being crowded DCUO is even more empty, less loser people to do things with. Especially at 4 am when I play. Good thing all the hacks work and they can't catch anything. I can hack in front of a gm and they are too stupid but the only reason is because the game is so unplayable right now and I don't want to play with the handfull of preeks (can't say the real word) that do play. They ruin the dc world, the reason I play.

• Kristin13Kristin13 Member Posts: 6

not to mention incarnates ruined everything. i hate forced grouping. some people love the worlds the mmos take place in but don't have the hours/time to play them and some of us just but a steeper pricetag on friends. I dont want to befriend strangers in these games. I don't even want to know them as aquaintences. If they were on the ground begging me for help and I had a choice of saving them or picking up a dollar, i'd go for the money, then rip it in half because the mmo communities these days suck. They say stupid things that ruin the immersion i seek. People talk about well it's a mmo but the second half of that is RPG.