Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extra Life Gaming Charity Event

RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314

Every year within our Acolytes Gaming Community we choose a charity to donate money towards.  Over the years we have grown as a community and we feel it is important to not only enjoy the time within our own community each night, but to also reach out to other communities and help however we can. This year we have chosen Extra Life.  

It is a 24 hour gaming marathon to raise money for children's hospitals. Below are some FAQs.  Rift is a major backer of Extra Life so you can enter in your Rift ID for the marathon if you wish.

Please go to THIS LINK http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&eventID=501&teamID=6275 if you would like to join our team and/or donate towards a good cause! Our goal is $1,000 and I am sure we can reach that if not more! Tell your friends, spread the word and donate to a good cause while playing video games!

What EXACTLY is Extra Life?

Extra Life begins at exactly 8 a.m. in your local time zone on Saturday, Oct. 15, and ends at 8 a.m on Sunday, Oct. 16. If you can’t make this day work, you can do Extra Life whenever it's convenient for you. Some folks even break it into two segments.

What if I can’t commit to that date or the entire time?

The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 15th stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.

Which countries may participate?

Extra Life is open to EVERY country on planet Earth. Martians are accepted on a case-by-case basis. The money you raise is directed to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital you select during registration.

Are donations from my country tax deductible?

Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All donors will receive an IRS compliant tax receipt.

What kind of games qualify for the Extra Life marathon?

All games. From PS3 to poker on your phone, everything counts - even Facebook games!

What if I can’t finish the full 24 hours due to commitments or exhaustion?

If you won’t be able to finish the whole thing, you can make up the remaining hours later. It’s all on the honor system and what really matters is that we’re all raising money for a great cause. Your sponsors should know they are supporting the cause whether you crash on hour 18 or not.

How is the money collected? Where does it go?

Credit card donations may be made on a participant's fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.

Can I sponsor myself?

Of course. Or, in the spirit of teamwork, you could also opt to sponsor a fellow participant.

How many sponsors do I need to get?

We are asking each gamer to find at least four people to sponsor them at $1 per hour, to raise a minimum of $96 total. So one sponsor at $4 per hour works too!

Do I get a T-shirt?

Platinum registrants that raise $200 or more will receive a T-shirt in the mail!

Thank you all!

Hieru

Acolytes Gaming Community

Comments

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Greetings Redruum, its been a while. I take it  things have been going well for that crazy old bunch.

I'll take a look as see what I can do to help out here.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway