Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any comments? good. bad?

Deathzor1337Deathzor1337 Member Posts: 5

thought I would download this give it a try, any feedback avaliable on it from anyone playing currently?

Good or bad?

Comments

• x_Paradox_xx_Paradox_x Member Posts: 9

Pvp and combat in general has some room for improvement. Animations, sounds, and such.

After you get past the graphics, the world is actually fun to explore.  It’s a big map with diverse train and lots of stuff.

The crafting system looks like it will be fantastic. I have like 6 alts and still can’t make everything on my own. I can’t wait until we get more people playing so specializing and trade become doable.

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

Not really a sandbox. You are pretty much limited in every way, starting with crafting skills and combat skills sharing the same pool of your max skill levels. I think you can have like 700 maxiumum skill points or some such, which are split between both combat skills and crafting skills, and gathering skill, and support skills, and magic skills. So, if you pick up crafting skills, you will severly hamper your combat effectiveness when going against someone with full combat set of skills. It really is very limiting. They shouldn't be advertising as a sandbox at all, lol. It's the complete opposite.

I stopped playing cause that limitation mostly. The animations are kind of crappy, combat is bad. If you speak about the skill limitations in a bad light the (very low number of) fan bois will get pretty angry.

If they removed the skill limit bonus and just put in decay, it would be a much, MUCH more attractive game. If not, I predict a total failure of a launch and a game who's servers won't be up too long.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by RebornDragon

Not really a sandbox. You are pretty much limited in every way, starting with crafting skills and combat skills sharing the same pool of your max skill levels. I think you can have like 700 maxiumum skill points or some such, which are split between both combat skills and crafting skills, and gathering skill, and support skills, and magic skills. It really is very limiting. They shouldn't be advertising as a sandbox at all, lol.

I stopped playing cause that limitation mostly. The animations are kind of crappy, combat is bad. If you speak about the skill limitations in a bad light the (very low number of) fan bois will get pretty angry.

Yeah they pretty much copied the grand daddy of MMOS..  See some people (old school mmo players) actually like systems like these.. And feel the new school of gimme gimme everything I mean whos wants to make choices or sacrifices, everyone wants to be the cookie cutter best at everything :P:P Duel specs ftw right?

Anyway, other then an awesome skill system that harks back to the early days of RPG/MMOS, this game does need alot of work.  I play it off and on to see whats new.. There is alot lacking in polish, but then one must argue that it is quite the indie title..

Its one of those games you have to work at and figure out, theres no flashing neon yellow markers telling you where to go :P

Oh and the graphics are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddd 

Edit: Havent played in a month or two, but I always wished they would remove the super-fail auctione house.. In a game like this would be awesome to have player run vendors, or just old school spamming to sell stuff at the bank or whatever :P

Originally posted by quentin405

Not really a sandbox. You are pretty much limited in every way, starting with crafting skills and combat skills sharing the same pool of your max skill levels. I think you can have like 700 maxiumum skill points or some such, which are split between both combat skills and crafting skills, and gathering skill, and support skills, and magic skills. It really is very limiting. They shouldn't be advertising as a sandbox at all, lol.

Yeah they pretty much copied the grand daddy of MMOS..  See some people (old school mmo players) actually like systems like these.. And feel the new school of gimme gimme everything I mean whos wants to make choices or sacrifices, everyone wants to be the cookie cutter best at everything :P:P Duel specs ftw right?

Anyway, other then an awesome skill system that harks back to the early days of RPG/MMOS, this game does need alot of work.  I play it off and on to see whats new.. There is alot lacking in polish, but then one must argue that it is quite the indie title..

Its one of those games you have to work at and figure out, theres no flashing neon yellow markers telling you where to go :P

EQ was my first MMO, and still love the game. I even like eve. I don't ask for everything to be handed to me, I am more then willing to work for it over time, but completely cutting the player off with a maxiumum skill limit of 700 that is pooled between every skill is complete crap for a game that is advertised as a sandbox.
  • KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

If they removed the skill limit bonus and just put in decay, it would be a much, MUCH more attractive game. If not, I predict a total failure of a launch and a game who's servers won't be up too long.

You mean exactly like UO? Wow, I guess every game is a themepark now.

Last time I played the game it was very buggy.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

It's a (surpsingly) short download, worth it just to see what Working As Intended are aiming toward.  I took a little jog around the starter town and quit within a half hour of playing, mainly because I just wanted to see what the basic gist of the game was.

Nice crafting system with some decent potential, very open, aesthetically it needs a LOT of work.  From major things like the animations and textures just being god awful, to little things like doors slamming shut a half second after they are opened, and the player characters not fitting through the door frames without some tricky maneuvering.  Mechanically, the only real thing they'll have to clear up is the discrepancy between the point limitation and how many points it takes to level a certain skill up.  Maybe expand the limit or lessen the points required to level something.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

the game have great ideas and mechanics, but its unfinished, it needs a lot of work in my opinion

EQ was my first MMO, and still love the game. I even like eve. I don't ask for everything to be handed to me, I am more then willing to work for it over time, but completely cutting the player off with a maxiumum skill limit of 700 that is pooled between every skill is complete crap for a game that is advertised as a sandbox.

Yeah its pretty limiting.. I mean im not really defending the game, other then I have a soft spot for small indie games like this.  With skill caps like UO, or this crappy game.. You have to firmly choose the direction for your char.. Try to spread too far and your a gimp.. then you have plenty of reasons to make alts..

And I need LOTS of reasons to make alts..  I played wow for 3 years (along with 2-3 other games on and off) and only ever created 2 toons, mostly just played 1 but eventually got that other guy up to 80 (never 85)

But yeah, this game makes me miss Ultima ONline soooo bad.. but its just not really playable IMO

So in a true sandbox, everyone should be allowed to become a grandmaster at every possible trade skill and combat art, as long as they pound someone with a certain type of weapon or craft a certain kind of item every once in awhile so the skill doesn't deplete?

I think i might actually go play this..

Does anyone else have the urge to just go out and chop down a tree when playing? Or skin a freaking rabbit, instead of ALWAYS doing some epic questline that is supposidly telling some terrible story you never read..

GOD let me just get high and chop down 10000s of logs and store them in my player house!!

I miss old school games :(

Originally posted by twodayslate

So in a true sandbox, everyone should be allowed to become a grandmaster at every possible trade skill and combat art, as long as they pound someone with a certain type of weapon or craft a certain kind of item every once in awhile so the skill doesn't deplete?

*snickers*  Yea lets remove all skill caps, cause those 2 semi-recent games where you can max every single skill on 1 toon are doing SOOOOOO well, lets copy that model :)

Originally posted by Kelthius

I've never played UO, and apparently over the last 14 years they've had a total of only 2.6 million players. I'm sure there are people that like Dawntides skill system, but it's not a sandbox skill system, and they shouldn't really be advertising it as such. You don't limit in a sandbox. That's not what a sandbox game is.

I've never played UO, and apparently over the last 14 years they've had a total of only 2.6 million players. I'm sure there are people that like Dawntides skill system, but it's not a sandbox skill system, and they shouldn't really be advertising it as such. You don't limit in a sandbox. That's not what a sandbox game is.

I would have to call you on that my friend..  If you are telling us that UO is not a sandbox then I dont know what to say .. You dont know your stuff I guess..  Sandbox is impossible to define completely.. but if there is ANY game in existence that is sandbox it is UO.  

To me sandbox emulates real world.. Freedom to explore, build, hunt, create..  But if sandbox emulates reality, then you have to have skill caps,  there is no person on earth that is a master of everything, the vast majority master 1 or 2 skills, and have a profeciency of some others.  

So that being said, what exactly does sandbox mean to you? Other then being able to master everything one 1 toon.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

I think i might actually go play this..

Does anyone else have the urge to just go out and chop down a tree when playing? Or skin a freaking rabbit, instead of ALWAYS doing some epic questline that is supposidly telling some terrible story you never read..

GOD let me just get high and chop down 10000s of logs and store them in my player house!!

I miss old school games :(

I agree with u, thats why I would like to see more PvE stuff in DF.  Full loot PvP doesnt make a sandbox

*snickers*  Yea lets remove all skill caps, cause those 2 semi-recent games where you can max every single skill on 1 toon are doing SOOOOOO well, lets copy that model :)

Eve keeps getting bigger and bigger. There is no skill limit in eve. There isn't really a skill limit in EQ either, and I think EQ has a bigger population then UO, and EQ isn't even a sandbox. I'm not saying give everyone everything on a silver platter, but if a player spends the time and has the dedication, he should be able to get up there. It's a big achievement to max a single skill in EQ, it's a freakin huge achievement to max them all, and there aren't many people with fully maxed out crafting characters in EQ, and it's been around since 99.

Im not familiar with any games that let players max everything that have come out and failed. Give me the names of them.

Eve keeps getting bigger and bigger. There is no skill limit in eve. There isn't really a skill limit in EQ either, and I think EQ has a bigger population then UO, and EQ isn't even a sandbox. I'm not saying give everyone everything on a silver platter, but if a player spends the time and has the dedication, he should be able to get up there. It's a big achievement to max a single skill in EQ, it's a freakin huge achievement to max them all, and there aren't many people with fully maxed out crafting characters in EQ, and it's been around since 99.

Im not familiar with any games that let players max everything that have come out and failed. Give me the names of them.

Nevermind dude.. I was agreeing with you and somehow now you are on the offensive towards me lol.. 

I would have to call you on that my friend..  If you are telling us that UO is not a sandbox then I dont know what to say .. You dont know your stuff I guess..  Sandbox is impossible to define completely.. but if there is ANY game in existence that is sandbox it is UO.  

To me sandbox emulates real world.. Freedom to explore, build, hunt, create..  But if sandbox emulates reality, then you have to have skill caps,  there is no person on earth that is a master of everything, the vast majority master 1 or 2 skills, and have a profeciency of some others.  

So that being said, what exactly does sandbox mean to you? Other then being able to master everything one 1 toon.

There is no limit to a persons potental in life, only time to achieve it in. Very silly for you to say such a thing. There is no time limit on characters in a game. They can last forever. Games are not reality.

A sandbox to me is a game that is open, with no limitations to its players. However, that does no mean a player can max everything in a day. In EVE, it would take over 20 years of real time to max every skill in the game. Am I a  fan of the amount of time it would take? No, that is way too long, but, EVENTUALLY, it can be done. One would hope the developers would keep updating the game with new skills, however.

It should take a lot of time (not anywhere near 20 years though), a lot of investment of in game currency, and a lot of dedication to master crafting and combat, and one would hope the developers continue to update the game with new skills and abilities to master over time.

Another game that has no skill limits - WURM Online - also keeps getting bigger and bigger, slowly...very slowly.

Actually Eve does have a skill limit.  It isn't a direct cap but it is still a limit, how many pilots have you seen that have every skill maxed out that isn't an employee of CCP?  If you are suggesting some sort of Ayn Rand-ish system like the one they use in Darkfall, where everyone can become some sort of He-Man (Master of the Universe) type of character simply because they have put in enough work, then that is ridiculous.  Your title might still technically qualify as a sandbox, but it also reduces it to little better than a multiplayer arena.  CoD turned into an MMO.

Also, any sandbox gamer should know not to throw around subscription numbers.  Leaning on that shit is the way of the Blizzard fan, don't belittle yourself.

Edit: and it fries your economy.  If everyone can do everything, then why have trade at all?

There is no limit to a persons potental in life, only time to achieve it in. Very silly for you to say such a thing. There is no time limit on characters in a game. They can last forever. Games are not reality.

Potential and mastered skills or abilities are 2 different things. It is not silly to say that no person on earth is a master of everything because there is not.  Given unlimited time would a person become a master of everything?? WIshfully thinking, sure.. Scientifically speaking no.. Sure a person can get a master degree in medicine, law, engineering, programming in their life.  Which would they master? None, because each skill in its own domain takes the majority of your life to be included in the ranks of "master" in the real world. Assuming that gaining every possible skill point means that you are included in a certain demographic like in real life.. which of course it does not... This isnt even including the fact that a human brain must refresh or keep a skill practiced (recent memory) to be most effective..

Anyway.. this is getting to deep for even me.. ( and im high as sh** right now lmao)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

One of the main things in Darkfall that people complain about is the fact that you can do everything and you are not limited at all.

This has made everyone want to grind forever to get all the skills as for some reason they think they need to do this to compete (this is not true but its a discussion for the darkfall forums) anyway that and the fact the skill gain was silly slow on release kinda killed darkfall for a lot of people.

Putting in a skill cap is a good thing as people wont have that urge to just max everything out and instead they will play he game and have fun. Also in Dawntide you can have more than 1 character well at least you can in the beta....

Anyway I got turned off by the interface/movement/combat in this but i really should give it a proper go as it does have a lot of things that I like and want to see more of in MMOs.

I really wish a big company would pick up a sandbox mmo and put soem real money into one but they are all too scared as most of the current bunch of sandbox mmos have not done very well at all.. but i think thats mainly because they dont have the cash to develop the game

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Funny how this thread has derailed into a "skillcap vs no skillcap" discussion. My opinion on that issue is that Darkfall proved what the absence of a skillcap leads to: the guys who grind, macro and bot the most will rule.

It may sound great that "everyone can be anything", or that "commitment pays off", etc, but in reality all it means is that nolifers who can afford to grind 24/7 will have a huge advantage that has nothing to do with their actual player skill. It means a world in which the only difference between players is the amount of time they have invested into grinding up their skills.

A skillcap, on the other hand, leads to specialization, to supply and demand, to a player economy. I.e., to features that are crucial to a sandbox.

OnT: Dawntide could be a good game some day.

In, like, two or three years. Right now it's mostly buggy, laggy, ugly and empty.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

To me, no skill cap would mean less overall grind.  Now that being said, i dont mind sandbox grind, as long as there is reason behind what im doing, which typically a sandbox offers. 

I love sandboxes, however i hate alts.  I cant stand that i have to reroll to do other things, log of fand log on another character.  To me it seems pointless to have some kind of cap on knowledge with a character, like someone whos good at fighting would be unable to learn how to make the stuff he uses to fight with.

I think people believe that a capped character is more fair to those who want an easier trip to endgame, a phrase that doesnt really exist in any sandbox.

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by strangerdang

To me, no skill cap would mean less overall grind.  Now that being said, i dont mind sandbox grind, as long as there is reason behind what im doing, which typically a sandbox offers. 

I love sandboxes, however i hate alts.  I cant stand that i have to reroll to do other things, log of fand log on another character.  To me it seems pointless to have some kind of cap on knowledge with a character, like someone whos good at fighting would be unable to learn how to make the stuff he uses to fight with.

I think people believe that a capped character is more fair to those who want an easier trip to endgame, a phrase that doesnt really exist in any sandbox.

Have you played Darkfall? No skillcap means more grind, not less - if everyone else can do everything, you need to as well, at least if you don't enjoy being a gimp. Hence the absurd amounts of grinding, afk macroing and boting that's been going on in DF.

What you also seemingly fail to understand is that a skillcap means specialized characters, which means more player interaction, which is crucial to a sandbox game where players make the world. If everyone can do everything, there will be no real economy, and no player economy = no sandbox, just a silent arena where everyone is busy soloing away, minding their own business.

Besides, a character that is a grandmaster swordsman, a grandmaster crafter, a grandmaster gatherer, a grandmaster archer, and a grandmaster mage at the same time is so absurdly unrealistic that it defies all credability, making the game a joke of a "world". Again, look at Darkfall. Everyone is playing the same hybrid char (with some very minor differences); there is no variety, no real group dynamics, no interesting builds except the allmighty jack-of-all trades. Boring as fuck if you ask me.

• TheDorTheDor Member UncommonPosts: 84

I agree with the other posters. No skillcap = more grind.

This is coming from someone that played UO starting in 97, played EVE starting in 03, and played Darkfall starting in 08.

UO = Potential limited by in game time. Once you knew how the game worked, you could 7xGM a character in a week with enough resources. You obviously had to plan the character out and aim for a certain build, but it was very possible.

EVE = (used to) take forever to get enough skillpoints to do anything productive. You couldn't even go ratting with a fresh character. How many months of skill point grind is it before you can fly a capital now-days? 6+? Ya, no grind there.

Darkfall = Macro and bot haven. I was a bot coder for my guild in beta (large guild) up through release. I made simple things like swimming bots, casting bots, etc. A guildmate and I worked together and made a full sparring bot that connected with another player, fought, rested, healed, etc. Everything made was very against the ToS, and yet everyone uses them, because there was no other way to stay competitive.

UO is a game where you have to think what you want out of your character, and have a goal (aka much like real life, aka a sandbox).

EVE is a game where your only limit is the amount of time you leave your subscription recurring for.

Darkfall is a game where your only limit is how long you can keep your computer on for.

Which game would you want to play?

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Noobgren

Originally posted by strangerdang

Have you played Darkfall? No skillcap means more grind, not less - if everyone else can do everything, you need to as well, at least if you don't enjoy being a gimp. Hence the absurd amounts of grinding, afk macroing and boting that's been going on in DF.

What you also seemingly fail to understand is that a skillcap means specialized characters, which means more player interaction, which is crucial to a sandbox game where players make the world. If everyone can do everything, there will be no real economy, and no player economy = no sandbox, just a silent arena where everyone is busy soloing away, minding their own business.

Besides, a character that is a grandmaster swordsman, a grandmaster crafter, a grandmaster gatherer, a grandmaster archer, and a grandmaster mage at the same time is so absurdly unrealistic that it defies all credability, making the game a joke of a "world". Again, look at Darkfall. Everyone is playing the same hybrid char (with some very minor differences); there is no variety, no real group dynamics, no interesting builds except the allmighty jack-of-all trades. Boring as fuck if you ask me.

Darkfalls grind exists only in the magic schools, since there are like 8 of them each witht heir own redundant passives that need to be painstakingly leveled, on top of being a major requirement (magic well skilled) to compete (the other is top end gear and great base attributes for destroyer).  2.0 adresses this.

However the DF analogy as to why DT needs a skill cap is a poor one.  The problem wasnt the grind, its somehow preventing someone from USING (not possessing) all the best combat skills from every category of attack.  No one player should have the best magic spells,the best combat, the best protection, the best archery all in one encounter, it needs to be limited to what you can use at one time....thats the issue with no skill cap.  I should also add that you might be complaining that no skill cap increases grind, all while your rolling 6 alts in order to accomplish what one character should be able to do...the grinds still there buddy, just spread out on alts you have to juggle now (no shared bank to make it extra fun)

With dawntide i feel so restricted..i so badly want an all combat character, but i need to roll a crafter alt just to feed him gear, since nothing i skin is of much value as to trade for made gear.  Problem is....WHY?  why the heck cant some character who can fight and wear heavy armor make it?  How is that over powering?

Why cant a sandbox get it right, stop restricting me with caps on what i can do and just restrict what combination of attacks i can use.  If im rolling out in heavy gear with a 2h melee weapon make it so that if i pull a staff out im weak as a kitten and dont have the ability to cast the top end magic or something...dont nerf what i can learn on one character and force me into alt reroll land.