Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding Subscriber only features in F2p games is wrong.

13»

Comments

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86
    I really like the new freemium models overall. They provide players with more options, and it's up to the players to decide which option works best for them. A casual player will get a better value from slowly unlocking content as they mosey through the game, and dedicated players will get a better value from continuing to subscribe. I don't get the P2W complaints in reference to PvE games. So some other player advances to endgame faster because they spent money? Who cares? I play games to enjoy the experience. If you want to compete, play PvP games. P2W in PvP games is terrible. I wouldn't play games that I felt were like that.

It seems to me that a lot of people are upset that less hardcore gamers who wouldn't feel justified in paying a subscription are now able to enjoy more games. Shame on you. I believe that subscribers should get log-in priority and first crack at new material before cash shop players. Let's be fair. Subscribers are the bread and butter of the devs and should be treated accordingly. However, subscribers should be happy to see a previously untapped market come in and boost the lifespan of the game. These newer players also help to justify further development, thereby providing a better experience for the dedicated fans. The devs make more money, subscribers get more content, and casual players get to enjoy a game they might otherwise have skipped. Everyone wins.

Arguments about game quality do not matter to a pay model. Spending any money on a game you don't enjoy is unpleasant.
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    PVP is now available without subscription in Lotro, but u need to purchase classes from the store.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by kostoslav

PVP is now available without subscription in Lotro, but u need to purchase classes from the store.

Only for creeps. Normal (aka freep) characters still have to subscribe to enter PvP zone.

Not to mention that store have now advantage items for PvP...

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I have to agree with the OP to an extent. If you decided to go f2p and just bought the content packs you needed until you suddenly hit a brick wall where you needed to subscribe to do something. Thats kinda like saying you just wasted all that money buying content packs.

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86

As opposed to quitting a game subscription and not being able to access any of the game at all?  Subs give better access, but players have to decide if the cash shop offers enough content to keep them interested.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Z3R01

Before I quit Lotro was like this, also I believe EQ2 & AoC run this way also.

They all have content or features that are locked out to the micro transaction crowd.

Im reading Lotro changed but as of my time leaving the game restricted micro-transaction players.

I haven't found any for LOTRO. In the past VIP offered early access for some new content but there haven't been any releases that were solely for VIPs. Never offering it later in the itemmall would be leaving a ton of money on the table, so I can't see them doing that.

In LotRO all Free People pvp access is subscriber only.  Fast travel is a subscriber only benefit, but can be rented for short periods via the cash shop.

So... you agree then, that free players can get the same as paying players.

As for the AA and AoC thing... Alternate Advancement is available to characters at Level 80, correct? If so, are you really trying to argue that a person playing for free for 80 levels is somehow slighted by having to finally pony up a couple coins each month to advance further? Obviously they enjoy the game, no?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by Loktofeit

The people that pay monthly for something get access or features that the people who play for free don't get. This, to you, is wrong or unfair?

No I just want the option to buy those same features through a CS. 

If you pay a subscription the CS shouldnt even exist for you since all the content should be given to u. 

A micro-transaction model should be just that. I gain access to the game and buy what i want to experience. 

Probelm is to hook people into subs they only offer 90% of the features to those players and force you to subscribe to access the other stuff.

Why not add those features to the shop? Even if its expensive atleast its an option, right?

If the game has a Lifetime option then for a 1 time purchase you get all subscriber features for life. And like you just said "even if its expensive", so yeah.