Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the estimated number of the preorders?

Just like the title says, I was wondering about it.

I heard someone say that SWTOR had something between 400-500k preorders, but this was only the retail order in the US? Is this correct?

So, I'm guessing that includes the CE preorders, but excludes all the digital preorders, which is Origin, and the European preorder. Right?

Has anybody read somewhere what the current amount of preorders is like, approximately?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I've only heard the retail box edition quotes you have listed. EA has not made any comment regarding digital buys that I have seen and that doesn't surprise me. If the digital sales are healthy they likely do not want to mention it because it might discourage boxed sales and those take more resources to produce and thus recoup... At least that's my pet theory of the moment. ;)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I haven't seen anything about it.  From my perspective that might mean numbers were less than expected.  I would think if numbers were very strong, they'd be flaunting them as an indicator of the games success.  On the other hand not having a response might not mean anything.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

From the SWTOR Forum speculation:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=396317
    Ooh, this thread speculates on it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=397850

OP from that thread says:

a) SWTOR pre-sales exceed those of Battlefield 3 according to EA.
    b) BF3 is on par with orders for Call of Duty: Black Ops, which are around 4.5 million.

Therefore:

c) SWTOR pre-sales are above 4.5 million.

Believe it or not^^

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Blutmaul

From the SWTOR Forum speculation:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=396317

Ooh, this thread speculates on it:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=397850

OP from that thread says:

a) SWTOR pre-sales exceed those of Battlefield 3 according to EA.

b) BF3 is on par with orders for Call of Duty: Black Ops, which are around 4.5 million.

Therefore:

c) SWTOR pre-sales are above 4.5 million.

Believe it or not^^

Battlefield 3 numbers. Since the numbers you quoted were out of whack.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/319759/battlefield-3-tops-15-million-pre-orders/

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Taken from Darth Hater:

As the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic approaches, pre-order numbers start to become more and more interesting. This feature would not be what it is without the numbers, of course, and we have VGChartz to thank for the data regarding the pre-orders.

Without further ado, here are America's pre-order numbers for Star Wars: The Old Republic for the week of September 24, 2011:

Title: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Platform: PC

Weeks Until Release: 13

Change from Last Week: 26,690 (7,405 more than last week)

Total: 489,811

Make sure to check out VGChartz for how it compares to the rest of the games currently available for pre-order. Note: Pre-order numbers come from retailers only and does not include digital or Europe. Due to this, the numbers above are not 100% accurate and may be under or over-represented.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

Also keep in mind, most of these pre-orders are from before the game even had an official release date.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Well I got this from vgchartz and it's as of the 24 of Sept, and it's only for retail stores in the U.S. If we take in EU and all online retailers, and add on top of that the recent release date announcement. I believe the number to be much higher than that.

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php?date=40811

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

It's VERY difficuly to quantify - unless EA gives us actual numbers (which they won't - why would they - they don't need to 'trumpet' anything)

It's tough because many people in the 'red zone' purchased through Amazon.com (which ships to an ungodly number of countries) So while the nearly 500K for NA is correct - how many of those are people from outside NA - and how then could you possibly estimate world wide pre-sales.

Of course it's going to be a big number.  If I had to make an uneducated guess right now, it would top 1 million pre-sales, but as I said, without EA's input we won't know.  Suffice it to say, at this point with nearly three months to go until launch, Bioware looks to be easily on the way to recouping their expenditures through box sales alone!

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Anyone who is estimating is guessing and the Dev's aren't going to release that kind of information.

AKA a pointless thread.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

My understanding is that only the US retail pre-orders can be tracked and that number is almost 490K.  From past games experience it is likely that the digital sales will be approximately equal the box sales, so that puts the number at about 980K so far.  Unfortunately, I doubt anyone will give us a number to verify that anytime soon.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365

You will have to wait until the game has launch for Ea to release numbers on pre-order and sales.. They will release those numbers for the simple fact that shareholders will want to know... Until then you can use the vgchartz  as a starting point but i believe it has broken the 600k pre-order already, seeing that Ea CEO said in a past interview that they are thinking of stop taking in pre-order just so the lauch could go over smooth (he would be foolish to do that), well guess what it won't go over smooth, the most they can do is have servers on stand-by just incase Q-line get wayyyyyyy long, similar to what happen to Rift on there early launch weekend.. (Sorry for straying off the topic)..

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

900.000 to 1.500.000

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Precusor

900.000 to 1.500.000

I'd go with that estimate.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Ciccero

I was told by a VERY well informed source,that the number was 27

Pht... Whatever you hater. I heard 28.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

really? no one has said it yet? sigh... It's over 9000!!!!!!!!! =P

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Well I've read that pre-order numbers are breaking all records so taking that into consideration I think it could be anything between 1-2 million but thats just pre-orders . I havn't pre-ordered the the game myself ( partly because I'll be away at christmas ) but I have let it be known its something I want as a present .There will be a fair few people like me I imagine or people that will just buy it at a store over the christmas and new period . I think the game will open to at least 2 million people in its initial couple of weeks after release but thats a very conservative estimate . Pretty much every single person I know that enjoys mmos that have a pc thats capable of playing it seam to have the intention of trying it . I wouldn't be suprise it breaks all records in terms of player numbers in its first month I seriously think it could anything upto 4-5 million . How many stay beyond the initial month remains to be seen and a lot will depend on how good the game is .

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I can't remember whether they said it was the biggest selling (numbers) or the fastest selling (units per day), there's a slight difference, they may have sold more on the day it was announced than any other EA game and then slowed down (though I bet it has picked up again with the release date announcement).

US sales close to .5 million not including digital pre-orders...Europe would probably be about half that on physical copies, so that's .25 and we're up to 750k not including digital? I'd say the 1.5million mark is very possible.

• Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Just like the title says, I was wondering about it.

I heard someone say that SWTOR had something between 400-500k preorders, but this was only the retail order in the US? Is this correct?

So, I'm guessing that includes the CE preorders, but excludes all the digital preorders, which is Origin, and the European preorder. Right?

Has anybody read somewhere what the current amount of preorders is like, approximately?

this is where that number came from mav:

http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php

it shows only US retail numbers, not digital or european sale.  total pre-orders would be unknown

if you want to follow it, darth hater does an up every monday

http://darthhater.com/2011/09/26/building-a-death-star-this-weeks-pre-order-update/

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Thanks, Gaou, for the links.

Ok, it looks to be 490k now, and has something like 20-30k increase each week. If that trend continues, the number of retail sales might end up around 800k or so (13 weeks till launch, avg 25k increase).

That excludes Europe and digital sales.

Hmm, when Blizzard still reported subs per region, it was like 2.5 mil subs in the US and 2 mil in Europe. Rift had I think 40-45 (?) EU servers and the rest of the 99 were US based, which seemed to mirror a samelike proportional divide.

The interesting part is that EA people stated that it was the highest preorder number they had reached for a game. Is that statement true? Because BF3 has currently 750k (X360) and 300k (PS3), so does that mean that SWTOR's preorder figures are higher than that? Or did they mean the highest preorder number when it comes to the PC platform?

In any case, from what the figures are indicating right now, I'd say they're around 1-1.5 mil preorders right now, which makes launch month figures of 1.5-2 million very likely, if not more.

Based on these figures and trend development, my personal speculation would be 2-2.5 million, but we'll see how things continue.

Damn, and here I was thinking that the correct answer was always 42 image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by Xondar123

Pht... Whatever you hater. I heard 28.

I call bull. This game is the best game EVAR! That means at least 30...you guys are haterz! ;-)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Yea , for SWTOR vgchartz is good as it initially release only in NA & EU.

But overall vgchartz is not so good site.  Even in retail sales it only cover NA market , Japan market and only a part of EU/ EMEAA market.  It does not gather full sales from Central & Eastern Europe retail sales even those which are in EU , is also missing places like Central & South America , I am not even starting with Asia...and all those places are becoming more and more important places on global gaming sales especially PC sales.

Add lack of any digital sales , and that's why there is total domination of consoles on vgchartz. Since NA & Japan are main markets for console gaming and retail are much more important for console than for PC atm.

I was following vgchartz for a long time , but I compared it with other reliable data from my own local market and it does not include those. So nice site to look upon , but very very incomplete data.

Yeah I guess total inluding digital and Europe pre-orders atm are easily ~ 1,5 mil.