Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Deathwing Goes Down

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Joe Sanicky is excited. He's excited about the opportunity to finally take down Deathwing in World of Warcraft. With the arrival of the v4.3 patch, players will be able to put one of the most iconic bad boys in WoW away for good. Check out Joe's thoughts about the 4.3 update. Let us know what you're thinking in the comments.

So at long last Deathwing will run rampant across Azeroth… well he already has been… well we get to fight him! And by “we” I mean those raiding guilds get to fight him. There are also three new dungeons titled End of Time, Well of Eternity, and Hour of Twilight. In these three dungeons players will partake in copious amounts of time travel, history altering fights, and titanic amounts of lore! Pictures from the blizzard previews are getting me extremely excited to experience these dungeons, especially considering Blizzard is doing something somewhat new by having us fight two of four memorable characters from the mythos in their corrupted, time-warped forms. Plus seeing Deathwing dead before we ourselves have done the deed is an intriguing sight to say the least.

Read more of Joe Sanicky's The WoW Factor: Deathwing Goes Down.

That will be ten dollar.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• surstromingsurstroming Member UncommonPosts: 151

you know when you go to a dance, and suddenly realize every1 has the same dress?, see where I'm going with this one? no?....

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

*peers into crystal ball* Deathwing goes down within a day of the patch...notwithstanding server down time/crashes/hotfixes on patch day.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

Apart from you can not put him down for good as this is a multi shard instance fest so he will keep coming back up again !

Seriously people still play WOW?

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    Or I can log in and queue for a daily random. 6 times. Puging each one. Oh no, that's right - toons and software deleted. Please continue to pay and play though. Stock prices matter!!
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by Cacophanist

Apart from you can not put him down for good as this is a multi shard instance fest so he will keep coming back up again !

imo, once you strip out item farming and social drama, it's actually a better game.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

If i could wear my brewfest hat while raiding i would have enjoyed Icecrown.

"Look at the dwarf with his keg and Tyrolean! HES PUNCHING ARTHAS!" Adorable.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Isn't it funny how this article is supposed to be a positive one with the "MMORPG.com's Joe Sanicky is excited. He's excited about the opportunity to finally take down Deathwing in World of Warcraft. [even though the writer then goes on to explain how he'll likely never be able to get there]. And then I read:

"And by “we” I mean those raiding guilds get to fight him." [So what are you excited about?]

"Personally I’m rather miffed about the gold costs." [Followed by...]

"Not to mention Telarans get a wardrobe for basically free…" [Rift sucks, but at least it has ease-of-use here]

"Seeing more gold sinks added along with a rather convoluted wardrobe system makes me want to slap a developer." [Or why do people continue to support shitty development?]

In the end there is very little to look forward to, and WoW is gonna be going way down in population come the new year. It won't come close to dying, but maybe it'll give Blizzard a reminder that fun beats grind and they'll change some systems.

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Thanks for a fun lighthearted read. 

Not entirely sure what point the poster above me was trying to make though. Perhaps he just doesnt understand sarcasm.

As he's a WoW player, statistically, he is probably too young to get it...

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by SBFord

players will be able to put one of the most iconic bad boys in WoW away for good...Let us know what you're thinking in the comments.

I think Blizzard's going to have a tough time selling the Biggest Baddest Badguy Ever (No, Rly) Version 5.0.

The parade of lore rewrites and deus ex machinas continues.  See ya next expansion!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Yet another huge lore event I'll miss out on because raiding is required to do it!  {never have seen BWL, AQ, Dark Temple, Frozen Throne, and now the Deathwing encounter...I did from eventually watch them on YouTube, but thats no way to enjoy the game like everyone else getting to actually experience it!} 

Seriously though, I honestly don't see why it'd be so hard for them to implement a 5-man or even solo/duo version {like Trion is about to do in Rift} for players that just don't like to raid.  And I know I've bitched and whined and complained in the past about not getting the good gear that raiders do, but in reality I don't care about that, I want to see the story and be able to participate in these epic lore changing events!

Anyway...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is just sad to see yet another populat villian get turned into a raid. They did the same thing with Arthas. Sad really.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Yup, millions and millions, more than any MMO ever to have existed.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Painlezz

More people play farmville, but that doesn't mean it's a better game.

Only from western developers, as there have been and still are MMOs from the East that make WoW's numbers look small!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Khrymson

Yet another huge lore event I'll miss out on because raiding is required to do it!  {never have seen BWL, Dark Temple, Frozen Throne, and now the Deathwing encounter...I did from eventually watch them on YouTube, but thats no way to enjoy the game like everyone else getting to actually experience it!} 

Seriously though, I honestly don't see why it'd be so hard for them to implement a 5-man or even solo/duo version {like Trion is about to do in Rift} for players that just don't like to raid.  And I know I've bitched and whined and complained in the past about not getting the good gear that raiders do, but in reality I don't care about that, I want to see the story and be able to participate in these epic lore changing events!

Anyway...

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you.

As a point of note, I am usually a soloer and don't usually get to raid.

However, making such an epic encounter available for 5 people sort of takes the wind out of it. I do believe that the encounter could have difficulty levels (with different types of rewards) for those who are not hard core raiders. However, as there are people who hate to raid there are also people who hate to solo.

You have the choice to raid if you want to experience something like this. I can't imagine there aren't people in the same boat as you would love to meet once per week to try this out. They might be more forgiving of mistakes (unlike raid guilds) and in the end you would learn the encounter and succeed.

But to completely change an encounter just because someone doesn't like it doesn't feel right to me. you have the choice to take part in the available content and you have the choice to decline.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Confirming what I've always suspected about the general populace.

You really would think, by now, that Blizzard would have figured out how to include the non-raiding subscribers who are paying the same as the raiders.  5-man versions of these encounters, perhaps?  I guess raid PuGs are like tossing a crumb....they're possible but apt to be horrible and not good experiences, but if that's all they're willing to give, I guess you should just be happy that Blizzard tosses that crumb under the table for you.  /sigh of disgust

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Sovrath

Yet another huge lore event I'll miss out on because raiding is required to do it!  {never have seen BWL, Dark Temple, Frozen Throne, and now the Deathwing encounter...I did from eventually watch them on YouTube, but thats no way to enjoy the game like everyone else getting to actually experience it!} 

Anyway...

However, making such an epic encounter available for 5 people sort of takes the wind out of it. I do believe that the encounter could have difficulty levels (with different types of rewards) for those who are not hard core raiders. However, as there are people who hate to raid there are also people who hate to solo.

You have the choice to raid if you want to experience something like this. I can't imagine there aren't people in the same boat as you would love to meet once per week to try this out. They might be more forgiving of mistakes (unlike raid guilds) and in the end you would learn the encounter and succeed.

But to completely change an encounter just because someone doesn't like it doesn't feel right to me. you have the choice to take part in the available content and you have the choice to decline.

in 4.3 blizzard are adding the LFG raid finder and adding a 3rd raid difficulty that is below normal so those not in a raid guild can jump into a pug raid and fight deathwing.  The gear level is a little lower than normal to to make it fair.  But lets be honest to enjoy WoW to it's fullest you need to raid, the trick is to find a raid guild that suits your life.

Anyway...

Thats why I said there should be options, and why would it take the wind out of it?  Its all about preference, where someone like me is more than fine with it being a solo/duo encounter or even 5-man and will still enjoy it.  Then there are the players that prefer to raid in large groups of 10-25 or more where it takes mass coordination and working together.

The hard core raiders still have their raid version for the challenge they desire, but then there is an easier mode for solo/duo players.  And then lets say that hard core raider had his guild cancel their run that week, they still have an epic encounter to participate in instead of having to wait another week.  Its a win-win all around and doesn't effect anyones choice of playstyle.

As it stands though, it just seems ridiculous that most MMOs in the past decade are designed entirely around the solo/duo player, but as soon as you reach the level cap, all that it tossed away and you're forced to raid if you want to progress further.  {I don't mind 5-man, but thats about as large as I enjoy, save for FFXI which was 6-man...heh} 

• gruntreapergruntreaper Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by expresso

Anyway...

in 4.3 blizzard are adding the LFG raid finder and adding a 3rd raid difficulty that is below normal so those not in a raid guild can jump into a pug raid and fight deathwing.  The gear level is a little lower than normal to to make it fair.  But lets be honest to enjoy WoW to it's fullest you need to raid, the trick is to find a raid guild that suits your life.

Didnt rift do a thing like that a while back letting the casual player be able to see the raid/lore content?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Does it not defeat the purpose of playing in a persistant world when you have easier versions of the same dragon ?

Anyway...

Thats why I said there should be options, and why would it take the wind out of it?  Its all about preference, where someone like me is more than fine with it being a solo/duo encounter or even 5-man and will still enjoy it.  Then there are the players that prefer to raid in large groups of 10-25 or more where it takes mass coordination and working together.

The hard core raiders still have their raid version for the challenge they desire, but then there is an easier mode for solo/duo players.  And then lets say that hard core raider had his guild cancel their run that week, they still have an epic encounter to participate in instead of having to wait another week.  Its a win-win all around and doesn't effect anyones choice of playstyle.

As it stands though, it just seems ridiculous that most MMOs in the past decade are designed entirely around the solo/duo player, but as soon as you reach the level cap, all that it tossed away and you're forced to raid if you want to progress further.  {I don't mind 5-man, but thats about as large as I enjoy, save for FFXI which was 6-man...heh} 

I'm afraid that part of my preference is jaundiced by the fact that I tend toward being an old school open world gamer. Where the idea of immersion, of giant epic battles (in my case lineage 2) and coordinating to take down epic raid bosses was the call of the day.

It's hard for me to get into the mindset of the theme park gamer where everything is treated like a ride. Now, I don't mean that to be insulting as it "sounds" insulting as I write it.

But if an encounter is an epic encounter then it should be an epic encounter and one that is similiar to all people across the board. This dragon is such that it tore apart wow's world did it not? 5 people seems to be a bit light for such an encounter. But then again, that could just be from where I'm coming from and what I've seen as far as epic dragon fights.

as I said, I am a soloer but I'm not fully into the "it's all about preference" idea. one has a preference to take advantage of the given conent (and as another poster said there will be a lower difficulty added) but it just doesn't sit right with me to cater every encounter to everyone's preference.

It's a raid encounter. I don't see why people can't make plans to take it on. Heck, I could even make time to do that and I'm notoriously not a raider.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by kitarad

Does it not defeat the purpose of playing in a persistant world when you have easier versions of the same dragon ?

I'll be honest, that's part of where  I'm coming from. But in a full blown theme park game these things seem to be more about being "rides" and more about entertainment value than being something to master. edit: than being a persistant encounter to master.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Yet another huge lore event I'll miss out on because raiding is required to do it!  {never have seen BWL, AQ, Dark Temple, Frozen Throne, and now the Deathwing encounter...I did from eventually watch them on YouTube, but thats no way to enjoy the game like everyone else getting to actually experience it!} 

Anyway...

Well, I'm all for opening the endgame content up a bit for non-raiders, but it would be a terrible idea to have 5 man instance versions of the raid.  The endboss of any expansion is supposed to have an epic feel to it.  Killing it isn't supposed to be easy (at least relatively speaking).  Allowing him to be killed by a 5 man group just to allow non-raiders to experience the event would guarantee that the first kill of that boss will always be the 5 man version kill.  I just don't like the idea of a raid group putting in the time to kill him only to have a soloer/non-raider say, "Oh yeah, we already did that. "  That first kill needs to be epic in scope, not some 5 man version.  

I'd be okay with introducing these kind of raid-mechanic 5 man dungeons AFTER a new raiding tier came out.  That way, the new raid content will have already been accomplished, and the the previous tier could then be unlocked as a new 5 man dungeon to allow non-raiders to experience it.  At that point, the raiding players will have already downed the boss and moved onto the next tier of content anyway.

• Trixey4795Trixey4795 Member Posts: 42

All sounds hugely interesting but sadly I'm just enjoying  farming volatile water/air and doing heroics for orbs all night long to have the time for it Oo

I'm afraid that part of my preference is jaundiced by the fact that I tend toward being an old school open world gamer. Where the idea of immersion, of giant epic battles (in my case lineage 2) and coordinating to take down epic raid bosses was the call of the day.

It's hard for me to get into the mindset of the theme park gamer where everything is treated like a ride. Now, I don't mean that to be insulting as it "sounds" insulting as I write it.

No I hear ya, I've been playing MMOs for 14+ years and gaming in general for nearly 25 yrs now.  I fully recall the days of UO and camping in EQ, as-well-as engaging in the massive open world madness {I actually loved that! ~ The Invasions in Rift take me back} and the outstanding party system in FFXI, and open world NM camping.

Its just devs don't make MMOs like that anymore, and prefer to design everything in the themepark image, especially when its not necessary.   This all started when post-2004 came about that made MMOs the mainstream entertainment and the populations have exploded, thus forcing devs to make things instanced to accommodate everyone playing.  Its not that I don't like raiding, its that I don't like how they go about it these days.  {In the end though, I've had to adapt to these changes, but it won't stop me from advocating that every playstyle is included...}

Do you recall the christmas tree event in FFXI about 5-6 years ago, that had a tree warping around the starter zones that took the whole of each server working together over a month to take down?  Stuff like that was excellent and I don't see why devs won't do stuff similar anymore.  Or the opening of AQ in WoW that took the entire server several months to gather the masses of resources required.  There is so much that could be done similar to these in all MMOs, and a participations' reward could be added to them so no matter when you showed up, you'd still get at least some credit, like in Rift.