Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub $500 laptop that will play SW:TOR?

Comments

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Yes indeed lol yea I will be buying SWTOR on launch day and this ASUS laptop I told you all about is the PC ill be using to play it on. I actually sold my desktop to buy this laptop, its my main computer now. I love mobility and portable features that laptops bring. Just write down the model number from the best buy link and match it up with the box at the store when you get it then your good to go. The 3 stickers on the laptop in the left hand corner will say A6 Vision AMD, Radeon Graphics HD 6720G2, Windows 7

• sage3020sage3020 Member Posts: 23

Just a quick clarification that that laptop is using the integrated graphics of the processor and the dedicated graphics card in crossfire, so it is indeed more powerful than the first one. It's hard to believe there is such a laptop at that price.

Originally posted by sage3020

Just a quick clarification that that laptop is using the integrated graphics of the processor and the dedicated graphics card in crossfire, so it is indeed more powerful than the first one. It's hard to believe there is such at that price.

Yes you are correct its the new APU line of laptops from AMD. They crossfire the onboard GPU with the Dedicated for 1.5 gigs of video memory. Now older games may not utilize the crossfire mode. In my AMD control center I can disable or enable crossfire. When I boot up and play Bioshock in the right hand corner there is a logo that says AMD Dual Graphics Technology. But like I said not all games will utilize dual graphics but the newer games do. Like right now im playing Fallout 1 obviously that isnt going to use dual graphics.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I went and picked it up.  It was actually on sale in store for $429!!

It had the graphics card you mentioned as well: Radeon Graphics HD 6720G2 

I'll have to see how it works now!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Fire up Dragon Age or Mass Effect 2 for a decent comparison. If you want to be certain though, fire up Age of Conan as a test.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Thanks for the replies guys.  I really do not want to go past $500 as it's basicly a gift for an 8 year old.

Is SW:TOR suitable for an 8 year old?
  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by RefMinor

Thanks for the replies guys.  I really do not want to go past $500 as it's basicly a gift for an 8 year old.

lol considering most kids at that age play Call of Duty and stuff, yes.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

I found the laptop I linked in the OP for $425 on sale so as long as everyone agrees it will run SW:TOR as long as we turn down the settings to low/med I think I'm going to go ahead and order.  I was mainly concerned about the CPU as I didn;t know anything about it and 1.4GHz seemed pretty slow.  From what I have read it's a pretty decent chip (for it's cost).

The only risk that it won't run SW:TOR smoothly is if the game is just horribly coded.  For example, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes wouldn't run well at launch no matter what hardware you had.  I can't guarantee that SW:TOR won't be afflicted with that, but if it is, then the problem of the game running poorly wouldn't entirely be fixed by getting a $2000 computer instead.

The system specs on it are far above the official system requirements listed by Bioware.  The only real question is whether the official requirements are honest.

The 1.4 GHz is the base clock speed of the processor.  It will clock cores as high as 2.3 GHz when it thinks it is appropriate, if you're not using too much power.  AMD guarantees that it can always have all four cores run at 1.4 GHz, no matter what load you have on the processor and on the GPU.  But they say that under loads that could use more performance, it will usually have however many cores you're using run much faster than that.  The idea is that AMD promises that the chip won't use more than 35 W, and then runs the processor however fast it can while staying within the 35 W power envelope.

"That laptop isnt going to run swtor, it doesnt have a dedicated graphics chip, its integrated. It wont run on low, or any setting for that matter. "

And it's integrated graphics that is faster than a lot of discrete video cards, such as the Radeon HD 6300M and 6400M series or the GeForce GT 520M.  You've previously vouched for the Mobility Radeon HD 5650 as being good.  With Llano, AMD basically took that same GPU die and built it into the same die as the processor, rather than having it on a separate die on a discrete card.

"Just something like this would be better then what you posted, http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-1570MRB-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B004EWEZNS/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1316964749&sr=1-4 cause at least the processor in it is half way decent."

Eek.  No.  An Arrandale Core i3 processor will beat a Llano A6 in programs that can't take advantage of more than two cores.  Llano will win in programs that scale well to four.

But that laptop means you're stuck with Intel HD Graphics, which is a failure for gaming purposes in almost every way.  Radeon HD 6520G will get you several times the frame rates of the Intel graphics, in addition to actually working right.  If you want to play games, then Intel graphics are a complete non-starter.

"Ok heres something, stuido 17 with dedicated graphics and duo core, http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=1694&SC=lowToHigh&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh. I wouldnt settle for this though."

Your link is broken.  It gives a file not found error.

-----

"Asus K53TA-BBR6

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Series+Processor+/+15.6"+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown+Suit/2881042.p?slloc=01&skuId=2881042&slref=10&id=1218360613837"

Now that's a good find.  I was skeptical of the Best Buy link, as only maybe one computer product in a hundred that they offer is a good deal.  But you found the one.

Even so, you have to be wary of Best buy.  If you go to the store to buy it and they say it's out of stock, then turn around and walk out of the store without buying anything.  Don't buy something else from them.  If they point you to something else and say it's just as good, they're lying.  I halfway expect that Best Buy's plan is to sell a handful of that laptop at a loss, and then try to convince a lot more people who come in looking for one to massively overpay for some other piece of junk instead.

"Very nice laptop for the price and for $30 more you can upgrade to 8 gigs of ddr3 ram just pop in another stick. It comes with one stick of 4 gigs ddr3 ram."

If it only has one memory module, then you absolutely must buy a second memory module and upgrade it yourself.  It needs to be a 4 GB DDR3 SODIMM module rated at 1333 MHz.  I'm sure that Best Buy has them, but they'll probably try to gouge you on it.  Here's what it costs elsewhere, for comparison:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231266

Just to make sure you understand it, the discrete card has 6 SIMD engines instead of 4, and clocked 50% faster.  It has more memory bandwidth, too, though considerably less than double, so you probably get about double the graphical performance from Radeon HD 6650M instead of 6520D.

It uses the same processor as the Gateway laptop that you were looking at.  Having the graphics work offloaded to a discrete video card means that it can clock the processor higher while keeping the whole chip inside the 35 W TDP.  This does come at a price, however:  the power consumption of the Asus laptop will be much higher than that of the Gateway.

"Its got a built in gpu tied in with the CPU along with a dedicated 1 gig video card that can be combined to 1.5 gig video."

Actually, no.  You're simply wrong about that.  That's not how video memory works.  The relevant figure is the per-GPU amount of video memory.

"The sticker on my laptop says Radeon HD 6720 G2"

That's probably trying to use asynchronous crossfire, which basically doesn't work.  You should mess with Catalyst Control Center and see if it's trying to have the discrete card and the integrated GPU run at the same time.  If it is, then disable that.  Ideally, you'd like to have the discrete card run when you're gaming, and shut it down to use integrated graphics when battery life matters.

"Now older games may not utilize the crossfire mode. In my AMD control center I can disable or enable crossfire."

It's not supported in DirectX 9.0c and earlier games at all.  Even in newer DirectX 10 or 11 games, it often gets you worse frame rates than using the discrete card alone would.  I'd strongly advise disabling it by default, and only even trying it if the discrete card alone doesn't get you good enough frame rates, on the off chance that it will help with that particular game.

Get a second memory module and add it, as I said above.  I gave you a link to one that should work for $19.  You need to match the memory channels, as if it only has one, then it's leaving a memory channel completely blank.  It won't perform properly until you do that.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by just2duh

None of my friends 8 yr old kids get to play call of duty or MMOs

LUCKY!!! LOL You got it for $20.00 cheaper than I did :p its listed at $450 on best buy and with tax it came to around $480 for me.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

hum... havent kept up with it, but has AMD fixed the xfire driver for the APU's yet?   i remember anandtech hammering them pretty hard on the xfire driver not working properly.

Normal crossfire drivers are fine.  The problem is asynchronous crossfire.  Neither AMD nor Nvidia had previously even tried to have CrossFire or SLI work on two substantially different GPU chips.  (Even hybrid crossfire required the integrated and discrete cards do be essentially the same GPU chip.)  Or perhaps rather, they likely had tried, but couldn't make it work well enough to bother releasing it.  The reason is that they couldn't.  Nvidia insists that to use SLI, it has to not merely be the same GPU chip, but the same bin of the same die.  AMD at least lets you try using different bins of the same die, by running both cards at the lower bin specs.

Now that AMD has tried with different GPU chips, they still can't make it work right.  They probably figured that if you're going to have both integrated and discrete graphics for discrete switchable graphics purposes, they might as well let you try to run both at once.  Now and then you may benefit, and the end user can turn it off when it doesn't.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Get a second memory module and add it, as I said above.  I gave you a link to one that should work for $19.  You need to match the memory channels, as if it only has one, then it's leaving a memory channel completely blank.  It won't perform properly until you do that.

I wanted to verify that it has an open memory slot... when I unscrew the panel (it says DDR on it so I assume it's for memory)  it doesn't want to  open up.  I can bend it back where the screw went in but I am afraid I will break it.  Is it normally difficult to open these things?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I wanted to verify that it has an open memory slot... when I unscrew the panel (it says DDR on it so I assume it's for memory)  it doesn't want to  open up.  I can bend it back where the screw went in but I am afraid I will break it.  Is it normally difficult to open these things?

Yes it has 1 open memory slot left for you to add another 4 gig stick making the total 8 gigs. Ive never opened mine up yet to add the other stick of memory but I plan on ordering it soon. Ive been able to run games fine without the other stick of memory. But like others suggest another stick should be added to maximize the dual channel in the memory to get the best bang. And be careful dont break it lol.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by just2duh

None of my friends 8 yr old kids get to play call of duty or MMOs

I'm pretty sure this isn't a thread about what games kids can or cannot play.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV55S04u-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Ebony/dp/B0051OLC4S/ref=sr_1_10?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1316994608&sr=1-10

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-NV75S02u-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Ebony/dp/B0051OLCTS/ref=sr_1_2?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1316994838&sr=1-2

Two comparable deals from Amazon with no tax of course. The second one also has a 17.3 inch screen.  If you have Amazon Prime or know someone with it who will add you to their account then there's free shipping too.

Gotta say I didn't know any kids my age at 8 who were playing teen rated games or movies...

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

here is a great site for gaming laptops http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html 

But like noquarter said 700 range is what you are loking for. Good luck on your search. 

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

Originally posted by djnexus

Yes it has 1 open memory slot left for you to add another 4 gig stick making the total 8 gigs. Ive never opened mine up yet to add the other stick of memory but I plan on ordering it soon. Ive been able to run games fine without the other stick of memory. But like others suggest another stick should be added to maximize the dual channel in the memory to get the best bang. And be careful dont break it lol.

Let me know if you are able to open it.  I tried again and I just can't figure out how it opens.  Unscrews fine... but then I can't seem to get it off without applying a lot of pressure which I fear will make the cover snap.

Everything about this ASUS laptop including updates and fixs for things can be found here

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?s=41271506786e7258306a2646f1ad7344&t=3183764

Here is a picture Slap of the cover taken off at the memory spot so you can see what it looks like for adding more RAM. I did not take this picture. This was taken by another user on the slickdeals site I linked. Hope this helps.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7441/dsc01924z.jpg

If that doesent help try asking a friend who might know.

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Normal crossfire drivers are fine.  The problem is asynchronous crossfire.  Neither AMD nor Nvidia had previously even tried to have CrossFire or SLI work on two substantially different GPU chips.  (Even hybrid crossfire required the integrated and discrete cards do be essentially the same GPU chip.)  Or perhaps rather, they likely had tried, but couldn't make it work well enough to bother releasing it.  The reason is that they couldn't.  Nvidia insists that to use SLI, it has to not merely be the same GPU chip, but the same bin of the same die.  AMD at least lets you try using different bins of the same die, by running both cards at the lower bin specs.

Now that AMD has tried with different GPU chips, they still can't make it work right.  They probably figured that if you're going to have both integrated and discrete graphics for discrete switchable graphics purposes, they might as well let you try to run both at once.  Now and then you may benefit, and the end user can turn it off when it doesn't.

Since there seems to be a detour in drama in the threads I'll go ahead and revisit a point a few pages back.  Since I just saw it. From what I understand there have been recent developments where certain mobo manufactures finally have this up and running but it was only because a 3rd party hardware developer put the R&D into it. I believe mobo's stamped with lucidlogix technologies have been able to show full load compatibility when loading an ati and nVidia into the mobo at the same time.

The biigest drawback has been cost; the lucidlogix technology has only been featured on a handful of mobos (I think not even a half-dozen), its a relatively new type of tech (came out sometimes this year) and it adds a painful $200-300 more to the cost of the mobo. That price itself is kind of a huge drawback given that's the price of a higher end GPU's.

SInce i never really bothered to bookmark or copy the article, might be able to fetch the news articles for it via endgadget, tomshardware or ars under Lucidlogix as part of its Virtu technology. I liked the product idea but the $500 mobo was a nerd turnoff lol....

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by sdeleon515

Since there seems to be a detour in drama in the threads I'll go ahead and revisit a point a few pages back.  Since I just saw it. From what I understand there have been recent developments where certain mobo manufactures finally have this up and running but it was only because a 3rd party hardware developer put the R&D into it. I believe mobo's stamped with lucidlogix technologies have been able to show full load compatibility when loading an ati and nVidia into the mobo at the same time.

The biigest drawback has been cost; the lucidlogix technology has only been featured on a handful of mobos (I think not even a half-dozen), its a relatively new type of tech (came out sometimes this year) and it adds a painful $200-300 more to the cost of the mobo. That price itself is kind of a huge drawback given that's the price of a higher end GPU's.

SInce i never really bothered to bookmark or copy the article, might be able to fetch the news articles for it via endgadget, tomshardware or ars under Lucidlogix as part of its Virtu technology. I liked the product idea but the $500 mobo was a nerd turnoff lol....

what you are refering to is the lucid hydra.  it's not working yet (like the async xfire) but in theory it should be better then either xfire or SLi.  the key point here is it's not really working like it should yet.

Not sure what happened here on this thread with the heated talk but I thought I would mention another link for the ASUS Laptop I mentioned to you all. Heres another forum thread at laptop reviews with over 100 threads of people talking about this laptop.

Link here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/601808-k53ta-best-deal-ever-could.html

I know alot of people are planning on running SWTOR and Battlefield 3 from the forum posts ive read so far.

Here are some videos of the ASUS K53TA laptop running some programs and games for you all to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mbf7qxCf6E&NR=1

Running Just Cause 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3M0UnQ4IA&feature=related

Modern Warfare 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxlsocOwydo&feature=youtu.be

The Hunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPt6aIJlPdQ&feature=related

Crysis 2 (LOOKS NICE! he added the other 4 gigs of RAM for a total of 8 gigs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yluVO4NJGfU&feature=related

Originally posted by sdeleon515

Since there seems to be a detour in drama in the threads I'll go ahead and revisit a point a few pages back.  Since I just saw it. From what I understand there have been recent developments where certain mobo manufactures finally have this up and running but it was only because a 3rd party hardware developer put the R&D into it. I believe mobo's stamped with lucidlogix technologies have been able to show full load compatibility when loading an ati and nVidia into the mobo at the same time.

The Lucid Hydra doesn't really work, either.  Well, it works in the sense of, the game will probably run.  But if card A can do X frames per second by itself, and card B can do Y frames per second by itself, then we'd like for cards A and B working in parallel to be able to do around X+Y frames per second.  Normal CrossFire and SLI can usually do this.

AMD's asyncrhonous crossfire occasionally can, but usually can't, and more often, just gives you near either X or Y frames per second.  That is, about what you'd get from one card without the other.  And sometimes it's the slower of the two cards, too.  Lucid Hydra with two similar cards can sometimes do better than either of the cards alone, but generally nowhere near X+Y frames per second.  And if you mix an AMD card with an Nvidia card, the the Lucid Hydra rarely offers performance significantly better than the faster of the two cards alone.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Uh yeah ok.

Anyway back to laptops.

Would this:

TOSHIBA Satellite L745D-S4230 Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3400M(1.4GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6520G

Be the smaller equivalent of the gateway laptop the OP was looking at to begin with. Or is there some vital spec I'm overlooking? In my case the horribly limiting size of 14" is a given. The Asus K53TA is sweet but can't do it.  Bigger won't fit and the increased battery life matters more than the increase in  graphics capability. It looks like the best reasonably priced 14" around. I should be able to play two year old games at lower medium resolutions. 

The problem is that Toshiba disables video driver updates for some daffy reason.  So even if the hardware is plenty fast enough to run a game smoothly at moderate settings, you might well be stuck with essentially beta drivers.  If some new game launches a year from now that runs into some weird driver glitch, maybe it will perform horribly or even refuse to run at all.  When you run into that problem, you download the latest drivers, it fixes the problem, and then the game runs properly.  But that's only if you can install the latest drivers, which Toshiba won't let you do.