Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, was it a lie that pre-order stocks are 'limited', or is the demand lower then expected?

12345679»

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Faelsun

It SOUNDS like they are trying to terrify as many people as possible to buy as many boxes as soon as possible to cover costs. Which makes you wonder how certain they are about future sales.

My take is a bit different.  To me it sounds like they want to make sure they have sufficient infrastructure to handle the load.  They give a clear release date but an article linked above talks about potentially staggering release so the impact can be spread out over time.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Faelsun

It SOUNDS like they are trying to terrify as many people as possible to buy as many boxes as soon as possible to cover costs. Which makes you wonder how certain they are about future sales.

Few people are that dumb, if you are somewhat insecure if you want the game or not you can wait the 2 weeks it takes for them to make another set of boxes or starting to seel the game again on steam.

What they do limit is the overpriced CEs, limiting them means that they can charge a lot more for each box.

Sure, pre orders are good for companies, a lot of people that pre ordered failures like STO regreted it later and wouldn't have bought the box after the open beta and of course will the say that you should pre order to be sure to get one, but it is not really releated to worrying about future sales. They have nothing to loose by trying to sell many pre orders and if worst case would happen they have everything to gain.

Almost all MMO and regular game companies tries to hype people for pre orders, Blizzard are doing the same for Diablo 3 and I am pretty sure they don't fear a failure with it (they might fear that South Korea actually bans it but no pre order or lack of would help in that case).