Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, was it a lie that pre-order stocks are 'limited', or is the demand lower then expected?

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Kabaal

A lot of people are latching on to the word limited without realising that they aren't quite as limited as they think. It is a guesstimate but probably a conservative one that pre-orders and pre-order codes are already well above 1.5million including all US, EU, AUS and every other part of the world physical and digital requests. They are still available, just not at every retailer letting the numbers still climb higher.

Why do i say 1.5mil at least? Us has nearly 500k in physical pre-orders so i have to assume Europe does too, add on to that all the orders from countries and continents outside of those, and then take a wild guess at the digital pre-orders through origin. Personally i think those digital pre-orders would equal or exceed the physical ones but 1.5 doesn't sound like a silly number, yet it is huge.

I disagree on several things here. I think most people still prefer to have a physical copy of a game. While I think digitial sales are becoming more popular, they still haven't reached the level of box sales. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion concerning digital sales.

I also think you're jumping to conclusions on the idea that Europe will have as many sales as in North America. Also considering they are limiting where they release the game, it's not as widespread of a release as you seem to be implying. Not even all of Europe has had full access.

The meaningless marketing line the OP brought up notwithstanding, they have said all along they will be limiting the release so that they can have a smooth launch. I doubt they will sale out via pre-orders, but I suppose anything is possible.

I think you underestimate our buying power in Europe. We don't always stick with games like the US does for sub numbers but we certainly buy nearly the same amount. Also don't forget that while there are a few red countries in Europe as far as availability through Origin, it doesn't stop them from buying from sites like Amazon. Same goes for Australia as everyone i know from there via gaming still bought successfully through the Amazon site apart from 1 who i got a pre-order from the UK for.

I think you also underestimate how many of us buy our games digitally. Granted many prefer the boxes but many of us don't. I only have experience of my own personal circle, where people bought TOR from on a very large site in the UK and polls on the TOR forums to go by for ratios of physical vs digital. The latter two by far favour digital sales. Sure, it's not an overview of the world but its a significant section of it. Yet i still went with the conservative guess for totals.

On the flip side pre-order keys have sold out at many retailers across the world but they are still selling the game so perhaps that would skew things.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Obviously they don't want to have to stop taking preorders, they want to sell as many as they can.  The number of poreorders allowed was certainly not arbitrary, but based on how many players they believe they will be able to accomodate during launch.  We have no idea what the limit is, nor how close they are to the limit.  Calling it a lie is simply stupid, as is trying to claim that demand is low for the game.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Don't forget they are staggering access to the game depending on WHEN you buy your pre-order.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Originally posted by vesavius

It has to be one or the other, right?

How can digital download pre-order be limited anywas....?

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by wojtekpl

Very easily, through a single line of code limiting the amount that they are going to sell.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Obviously they don't want to have to stop taking preorders, they want to sell as many as they can.  The number of poreorders allowed was certainly not arbitrary, but based on how many players they believe they will be able to accomodate during launch.  We have no idea what the limit is, nor how close they are to the limit.  Calling it a lie is simply stupid, as is trying to claim that demand is low for the game.

+1 for intelligence...too bad there wasn't more of it going around :D!

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Literal pre-orders are limited.  I got an e mail saying they were.  And by golly if you dont buy now, Bioware may get impatient with you and you WONT be getting your special in game bonus item doodad. 

Just like me.  Sniff....no in game bonus item thingy.  And no early access!  I am low and ashamed.  To not be like me pre order TODAY!  Supplies are limited!  In Biowares head anyways. 

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

For software, digital download sales are still behind boxed purchases but that is rapidly changing in the same way copies of physical books are severly lagging behind download sales for digital readers now. The last report I saw from industry research analysts was quoted in this article at Shack News and anticipates downloads to surpass physical copy sales for games in 2013 in a conservative estimate.

Demand for SWTOR is obscenely high by all indications from sales figures, to forum intrests, and even little kid's lists of give me's to Santa. The limited availablity tag line for marketing seems a bit hokey in that its not clear cut. It is what it is. Right now they are milking it for all that it's worth and successfully.

However, if internet service providers think NetFlix is bad on bandwidth just wait for the digital preorder's for Blizzard's Titan to come in. lol...

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Well if Amazon is any indication, they aren't accepting pre-orders anymore (at least for the CE).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Xondar123

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Pre-order stocks weren't limited, however collector's edition pre-order stocks were.

Even then, I'm pretty sure that every retailer got a limited number of CEs to sell for pre-order, so if you can find a retailer that didn't sell all their CEs yet you are in luck.

The OP is using the old Horns of a dilemma mind trick.  It's the kind of low life thing that lawyers use.  It presupposes two situations as the only choices and beats up the target no matter what choice is made. Don't fall for it from anyone.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

It's an old marketing ploy to get you to make an impulse purchase before you have a chance to really think about it. Nothing more.

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

No it doesn't have tobe one or the other. They still plan to phase people in over time, but that doesn't stop them from taking orders for more subscriptions in the meantime.

• Yes, some EA marketing people are scum.  There was that so hard.

Its marketing, if you believe it you are a rube.  Sorry, if that hurts.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Very easily, through a single line of code limiting the amount that they are going to sell.

Obviously that is not what i meant.

There is no limit to something that isn't physically limited. It's not limited by CD/DVD or anything. You can download it indefinitly. The only limit there could be is only if BW decides to limit it for example to avoid too big server stress on release.

You can't however talk of limited supplies of preorder when it comes to digital version.

• LucianoguidoLucianoguido Member Posts: 6

There is no limit to something that isn't physically limited. It's not limited by CD/DVD or anything. You can download it indefinitly. The only limit there could be is only if BW decides to limit it for example to avoid too big server stress on release.

You can't however talk of limited supplies of preorder when it comes to digital version.

You are using logic and assuming most mmo players will too.

History has shown gamers in general lose all logic capabilities when it comes to pre-orders and lifetime subscription offers. And Bioware/EA count on this just like every other developer.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Lucianoguido

You are using logic and assuming most mmo players will too.

History has shown gamers in general lose all logic capabilities when it comes to pre-orders and lifetime subscription offers. And Bioware/EA count on this just like every other developer.

limited supply could have just applied to the collectors edition only, and not to the 'regular' copy of the game, but  that would still entitle them to call it a limited supply..  even though it implies a limit when there isnt one. its a marketing strategy thats also used by travel agents funnily enough image

• korndog22korndog22 Member Posts: 62

It is not Limited.They may run out of collector's editions .But They will not deny you the opportunity to pre order /purchase the game.It is a simple marketing ploy that works every time.

First of it can not be limited , when there is no set number.They announced this months ago."Hurry up and pre order now, or you may not get in on launch".But they never stated a number so technically they can not be called liars.2 million people can pre order this game(Which is Highly unlikely) and they can then announce , we had a limit of 1.5 million but decided to raise it an additional 500k to accomodate our valued customers.Then everyone will be like..."Oh they are such a great company, they care so much about there customers." They force an impulse buy on the consumer then ( simple marketing again) make there self out to be the most amazing thing since sliced bread.

At that point it won't matter if the game is crap (Hypothetical, not calling the game crap) everyone will be brainwashed into thinking the game they are playing is great cuz the devs care...:)

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Except you just did, and even gave the proper reason for it. The fact it's their choice to limit it doesn't change the fact that it's limited. Obviously they'll lift those limits as time goes on, but it doesn't change the fact that there will be limits initially. I don't see the difficulty you seem to be having with the idea.

Except you just did, and even gave the proper reason for it. The fact it's their choice to limit it doesn't change the fact that it's limited. Obviously they'll lift those limits as time goes on, but it doesn't change the fact that there will be limits initially. I don't see the difficulty you seem to be having with the idea.

Okay but why would you "limit" pre orders?  That doesnt even make sense.  Do games usually limit pre orders?  Ive never heard of that.  That doesnt sound like exactly good business to me. 

Its just a sales tactic.  Cant tell you how many times Ive seen "For a limited time only" with something and two years later its still " For a limited time only! " .   I figure its a lie.  Pretty cheap. 

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by Corehaven

Okay but why would you "limit" pre orders?  That doesnt even make sense.  Do games usually limit pre orders?  Ive never heard of that.  That doesnt sound like exactly good business to me. 

Its just a sales tactic.  Cant tell you how many times Ive seen "For a limited time only" with something and two years later its still " For a limited time only! " .   I figure its a lie.  Pretty cheap. 

They limit it because they want a controlled number of people playing at launch. Nothing more than that.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Quite a few MMO's have "limited" their pre-orders. Most of the time it's an indication of the game being an awful messy failure. Doubt the same fate is in store for SWTOR, though.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by Xerenix

They limit it because they want a controlled number of people playing at launch. Nothing more than that.

Yea but anyone can just go out and buy it the day it comes out anyways.  So that doesnt fly either.  And Ive never heard of an mmorpg trying to limit the people playing at launch.  I understand that its a rough time for any game, but I dont think companies try to do that. 

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by Xerenix

Yea but anyone can just go out and buy it the day it comes out anyways.  So that doesnt fly either.  And Ive never heard of an mmorpg trying to limit the people playing at launch.  I understand that its a rough time for any game, but I dont think companies try to do that. 

True but people who pre-order gets access to the Early Access and by that, they control the amount of players and that allows them to make the launch as smooth as possible.

Here is a quote from the Pre-order FAQ why it's limited:

"BioWare has always had a history of delivering high quality experiences for our customers and we are dedicated to making sure that track record continues with Star Wars: The Old Republic. Our focus is on not only delivering a high quality game, but also in developing a thriving online environment. In order to ensure a great user experience we have decided to limit initial launch supply. Further supplies will be released post-launch."

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Ala the notorious Disney corp. They re package and release their films on a rolling base something like every ten years before it "goes back into the vault" which ironically my favorite disney film is getting that treatment right now the Lion King.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I haven't seen a UFO, but people told me they exist.

They are either lying or mistaken about what they saw, right?