Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This looks good. Is it?

firereaverfirereaver Member UncommonPosts: 9

Hi all.

I am a long time reader of MMORPG.com but have not really given back as much as I have taken.

But only last week did this game catch my eye (I know, I must be blind) and from what I see on the site and the from news here this looks really amazing. Then again most games releasing around this time do.

What I guess I am asking is how bad is the NDA on the beta. As in can anyone at least text out their opinions saying things like ; "This is just like the screens" or "The vidoes are not really just CGI but close to reality" . I guess you all know where I am heading with this.

Then again between this, Gw2, SW:TOR, DOTA 2, Blade&Soul, Firefall, WoD and TribesUniv I am at this point just waiting to get my hands on whatever comes first and eventually play all before I settle down with whichever promises to hold my fancy the longest.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have heard and seen no information, except what the developer has released, so my guess is that the NDA says you can't talk about it. There have been developer videos with actual game play. Strangely enough, I haven't seen any cgi teasers at all...only game play videos.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• abadvirusabadvirus Member Posts: 5

Check and join the face book and twitter pages. Most fridays they have a live dev chat on Ustream. They listen to suggestions but will not change to appeal to the masses. This is a niche pvp driven 3 faction game.

That's about all I can say as I am bound by the NDA. What I can say is I am very very excited about the team at Pitch Black Games and the game itself.

I encourage anyone who loves 3 faction mmos and pvp to watch this game very carefully.

• firereaverfirereaver Member UncommonPosts: 9

Originally posted by abadvirus

Check and join the face book and twitter pages. Most fridays they have a live dev chat on Ustream. They listen to suggestions but will not change to appeal to the masses. This is a niche pvp driven 3 faction game.

That's about all I can say as I am bound by the NDA. What I can say is I am very very excited about the team at Pitch Black Games and the game itself.

I encourage anyone who loves 3 faction mmos and pvp to watch this game very carefully.

Thanks for that. It was pretty much what I was looking for. I tend to enjoy PVP driven games in general so this should help me get just the right mix of annoyed and excited at the release not being here already.

• abadvirusabadvirus Member Posts: 5

There is a lot of information on the web site. This game has been in development for over 2 years. They are using the hero engine so they didn't have to spend time building their own which has given them 2 years to actually work on the game.

I am impressed with what I have seen so far. I tend to be very reserved when it comes to new games but so far I am very excited. Keep an eye on the facebook page and twitter because they have started giving away closed beta keys if that sounds interesting to you.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by firereaver

Originally posted by abadvirus

Thanks for that. It was pretty much what I was looking for. I tend to enjoy PVP driven games in general so this should help me get just the right mix of annoyed and excited at the release not being here already.

Your two highlights are what many of us are looking for but you must know yourself that where MMO's are concerned it tends to be a needle in a haystack to find the good ones. I'm hesitant, so much dross is released with few being good and fear this may be the same. It has many of the features we're waiting for but for the first one in a while to end up being good is a long shot.

No judging, just saying that yet again we need patience and acceptance rather than jumping to conclusions through a feature list.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Kabaal

Your two highlights are what many of us are looking for but you must know yourself that where MMO's are concerned it tends to be a needle in a haystack to find the good ones. I'm hesitant, so much dross is released with few being good and fear this may be the same. It has many of the features we're waiting for but for the first one in a while to end up being good is a long shot.

No judging, just saying that yet again we need patience and acceptance rather than jumping to conclusions through a feature list.

I certainly understand any apprehension mixed in with excitement when one sees a game that seems like they'd really enjoy being announced/discussed/launched. I think it's safe to say that if someone has played more than one MMO, they tend to get an idea of what type of MMO is ideal for them, what features they would get excited about or turned off by. When I first read about Prime I was stoked, but very standoffish until I learned more about the game.

Obviously, the community that has congregated on the Prime official forums tend to expect a game somewhat akin to Dark Age of Camelot, because of the similarities. Here are a few features about Prime that we know about, and that you can get excited about if you're looking for a faction-based PvP game:

1- Prime has three factions with separate classes, architecture, PvE safe zones, and general ambience.

2- Prime is a PvP-focused game, in that the end game revolves around PvP (and won't culminate in a glorified PvE scenario), will be balanced for PvP (Devs have said that if a certain class's ability works fine in PvP but is too powerful in PvE, they will change the way PvE works instead of blindly nerfing), and has a robust crafting system which directly links to PvP.

3- The best items in the game are crafted. You can purchase armor and weapons from vendors, get minimal items dropped from world bosses (not regular mobs), and through crafting. They are more and more powerful in that order. Crafted items will be better if you use better grade materials. The best grade of crafting materials are found in the end-game open-PvP zone, Dominus. If you want the best materials, you will have to go out into the PvP zone to get them.

Furthermore, new crafting recipes will be patched in secretly (not in the patch notes), and crafters will be encouraged to experiment to find new recipes (or, as an alternative, stealth classes of opposing realms can target known enemy crafters to copy their schematics). There is also a technology progression system that we don't have enough details on yet to comment too far, but your faction will have to keep up by gaining Prime (an element, and important crafting material).

4- There are several bases on Dominus to fight over, with up to 7 buildings to choose to call down for each base, and each will give its faction a different bonus. Furthermore, whichever faction holds a majority of the bases will get access to the Mines of Dominus, an open PvP dungeon zone.

5- The Mines of Dominus will have some really nice crafting materials inside, some nasty world bosses, and a separate opening for each of the factions. If you are inside the dungeon while your faction loses access, you are not kicked out, but you cannot get back in if you zone out or die until your faction regains control. If this sounds familiar to Dark Age veterans, good, you know what this is similar to.

6- The game has jet packs. Jet packs are awesome.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully, if nothing else, this will be a great game for those who are sick of content dependent on new quest zones and PvE encounters, and will instead depend more on community-driven PvP. I have an NDA to consider, so I can't answer all questions, but I can answer things we have been told.

Check out the livestream recordings of past developer chats on Somuchmass's youtube channel. They are much easier to view here than on the dev team's ustream channel (ustream has some weird problems).

Also, check out the official forums, and join in on the discussion if you'd like! There is a wealth of information in the official news and links portion of the forums found here. There are quite a few interviews in there (the class interviews are the most informative).

Also, Keen from Keen and Graev has taken something of an interest Prime, and has a few articles up that are insightful.

Lastly, if you don't want to watch through the hours of livestreams, and would rather browse through text to see some important talking points, community member Sek has transcribed some key points on this thread.

Hope this helps!