Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Closed Beta Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most anticipated titles coming out this year is Diablo III. It was with considerable "squee-ness" that MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy opened his closed beta invite. He's been busily playing ever since and has some first impressions to share as well as a nice video of his Monk blenderizing the undead in Tristram. Read on!

I’m a few hours into Diablo 3’s closed beta experience, and I can’t put the thing down. It took an act of heroism to even close the client and come write this. It’s so damned late in the evening and I have to be up at six A.M. and I’m pretty sure that when I close this word document I’m typing I’ll probably log back in and run around as my fists-of-fury wielding Monk for a bit more carnage and looting (Note: I did).

Read more of Bill Murphy's Diablo III: Closed Beta Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

i cant wait for diablo 3. lets just hope blizzard will release it sooner than later.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Better check your news feed. It's coming in early 2012. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    I can't say I was too impressed watching the live closed beta streams my self.
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

IAmMMO, unfortunately, you cannot judge a book, yadda yadda.  It might be a combination of things, most of all gameplay and responsiveness.  Those two things you are missing.  Plus any streaming whatever has a delay, so you might not be feeling what is being felt by the player right there.

I have no idea either heh.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I'm still unsure whether I'm going to play it. The Diablo's where fun when I was younger and I hadn't sampled any other type of game but when I tried Torchlight I didn't enjoy it and the point and click MMOs like Aion and Lineage I find frustrating after playing WASD controlled games so I will need to think long and hard before I spend $50 on it. Hopefully there will be a demo or trial I can try before I buy.

I'm sure it will be a great game but sadly not for me.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Oh dear ... our Bill has been assimilated. This is not the same Bill anymore. The best thing we can do now is put it out of its misery and rejoice at the memories of the Bill he used to be. V_V

Without jest: cool that it's so compelling like you describe. It will no doubt entertain me for at least a month or two :)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I've waited for this game for what feels like ages, and yet I'm still torn over the always on internet connection. That one little (major) gripe I can't seem to get past.

So far, every CB impression of the game makes it out to be the "second coming" and I may end up faltering and being there day one.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Awesome! looks like my monk will be awesome!!! can't wait to hear about some pvp.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

There's no way for me to avoid getting this game. I can't resist Blizzard's power...

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

[quote]In their place is a system not at all unlike Guild Wars in where you acquire skills at certain levels, and slots in which to place them[/quote]

Sorry to say but that is horribly wrong. You don't "gain" skills when you level up, you get them through either quests, skill caps (for elites), reputation vendors, or buying them from Skill Trainers. You also have the same number of slots from the beginning all the way to the end, 8.

As for player customization, expect it most likely to be shoved into the Blizzard Store.

And who is honestly surprised this game is good? It's not like its World of Warcraft which seems more than likely currently being worked on by a B/C-list dev crew, if the amount of bugs that shouldn't even exist in the first place from what I've seen has anything to say about it. They have all the good devs working on Titan and this.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

And what to say now??? Damn bastards from Blizzard!  Why they can't make some bade game?? Now i have one more game to buy:(. I think  we will read about Blizzard in year 3001, this company will never go down

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

As good as this game looks, it's under the same category as star wars and guild wars 2, for me. The longer I have to wait for it, the less I care.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I played Diablo 2 this summer with a few friends, for the first time ever (shame on me, I know). Ever since I am interested in Diablo 3. This article only gets me more excited.

• gaidin6gaidin6 Member Posts: 29

Sorry, still not buying the game.  I want to, but the only way I can show my displeasure and fight the DRM is to not buy it.

If this keeps up as a trend, I'll have to find a new hobby.

-=[ Gaidin ]=-

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

There's an awful lot of "but"'s in this article (15) that makes it seem like he's really trying to spin his own opinion.

Sure that's the point, but seems like he's just covering his eyes to everyones complaints rather then adressing why they hate them so much.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

[quote]In their place is a system not at all unlike Guild Wars in where you acquire skills at certain levels, and slots in which to place them[/quote]
    Sorry to say but that is horribly wrong. You don't "gain" skills when you level up, you get them through either quests, skill caps (for elites), reputation vendors, or buying them from Skill Trainers. You also have the same number of slots from the beginning all the way to the end, 8.
    As for player customization, expect it most likely to be shoved into the Blizzard Store.

Apologies, Cursed. What I meant is that you simply have only a set number of slots in D3, with more skills than you can slot to choose from, and ergo you have to pick and choose what works for your build.

Like GW.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by zellmer

There's an awful lot of "but"'s in this article (15) that makes it seem like he's really trying to spin his own opinion.
    Sure that's the point, but seems like he's just covering his eyes to everyones complaints rather then adressing why they hate them so much.

I did address why they hate these things, by even mentioning them I did this. I just feel the opposite, and it is an impression piece after all.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Notice the serious sam mass attack in start of video.Difference here is that the BArbarian doesn't seem to be in any trouble at all,even with mobs all over him.It was done better in Serious Sam and with more room,more challenge.

Diablo3

Notice right away the narrator uses words like EASY/SIMPLE.Gameplay looks way toio simple no challenge at all.

This is basically like going back to play baldurs gate. only with a cost.

In this video you see how LINEAR the game play is,and the graphics are super cheap old school console type,pretty much like Starcraft or even league of legends.Oh did i mention >>>LINEAR=boring .zzzz.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im not sure if I would play D3 for long. I loved D2 years back, but now after having played MMO's it kind of feels too restricted. I also didnt play Torchlight for that long.

I recently played Dragon Nest open beta, which uses a similar dungeon system. But its combat is a lot more fun then D3 combat imo. It is actually twitchbased. They could use one thing from D3 though. And that is randomized dungeon layout and mobs. I always loved that in D2.

So for me D3 with a twitchbased combat system like in Dragon Nest would be a lot better.

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

Impressed, NOT. Was looking forward to another delve into the dark but more turns me off than on.

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Guys, forget about diablo 3. Check out torchlight 2. It will be the actual diablo 3 made by the original diablo 1/2 developers and even composer matt uelman. Theres just so much more positives with TL2 such as modding and offline play and no AH.. Blizzard are just greedy and they need a wake up call so stop supporting them and support runic games which is actually all ex blizzard devs anyways who got tired of corporate activision/blizzard.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by metatronic

Guys, forget about diablo 3. Check out torchlight 2. It will be the actual diablo 3 made by the original diablo 1/2 developers and even composer matt uelman. Theres just so much more positives with TL2 such as modding and offline play and no AH.. Blizzard are just greedy and they need a wake up call so stop supporting them and support runic games which is actually all ex blizzard devs anyways who got tired of corporate activision/blizzard.

Don't forget to pick your employee's check while your over at Runic games HQ.

The 2 or so ppl working on T2 left blizzard a long time ago, before activ/Blizz, likey got fired or layed off becuase their skill set was not broad enough for other projects, which looks to be true cus all they can come up with are Diablo clones. ahem

On topic It's been push back to 2012 so I guess I'll put my D3 giant foam glove and drinking hat away till next year.  Sad but hey Blizzard have yet to dissapoint so I'll let em off.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Allow me to preface my next statements by saying this: I'm not saying the following *will* happen... I'm saying *if* it happens. So, before anyone decides to flip out on me... please bear that in mind.

That said...

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading that change was "They're going with a system like GW so they're positioned to sell skills exclusively via a Cash Shop-like purchase somewhere down the road."

They couldn't really do that with a finite skill-tree based approach. With a "modular" skill system, however? Skills could easily be sold as individual products... or in "packs". GW does this.

Again, am I saying that *will* happen? No. There's no way I could know that.

However, if it happens... I will not be at all surprised.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by WSIMike

Allow me to preface my next statements by saying this: I'm not saying the following *will* happen... I'm saying *if* it happens. So, before anyone decides to flip out on me... please bear that in mind.

That said...

The first thing that popped into my mind when reading that change was "They're going with a system like GW so they're positioned to sell skills exclusively via a Cash Shop-like purchase somewhere down the road."

They couldn't really do that with a finite skill-tree based approach. With a "modular" skill system, however? Skills could easily be sold as individual products... or in "packs".

Again, am I saying that *will* happen? No. There's no way I could know that.

However, if it happens... I will not be at all surprised.

It wont happen.  The RMHA is blizzard little money stream that will keep them ticking over nicley over the coming years, the only ingame items I can see blizzard possibly selling in their store would be EXP potions or boosts.. but skills and gear not a chance in hell.

Besides factor in the rune system and each class has around 140 skills/abilities - that's the D3 skills tree that every one thinks is missing.  So is there room or player appetite for more?

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by gaidin6

Sorry, still not buying the game.  I want to, but the only way I can show my displeasure and fight the DRM is to not buy it.

If this keeps up as a trend, I'll have to find a new hobby.

You may as well start looking now... but its happening...

Remember Old School Ultima Online