Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird Mouse problem with Games

LilyRoseLilyRose Member Posts: 4

~

I have no idea what to do about this, I don't even know if its actually game-related, except that it only happens when I'm playing games on my pc....

Once the opening page, gateway or whatever it's called, for signing in, etc., appears on my screen, my cursor disappears from the screen. I can therefore not negotiate any part of the page that requires the mouse cursor to do so. I've tried everything to solve the problem, downloading drivers and mouse software, changing mice, nothing seems to work.  I can't even save a game while playing because of this problem.

Anybody have any idea what's going on, and how I can fix this?

~~

a silver thorn, a bloody rose

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

First thing I do with mice problems are to uninstall every driver for any mouse you've ever had.

Once that's done, reboot the computer, and let Windows pick the mouse back up and use the generic mouse driver.

Most of the time, it's some conflict with vendor-specific mice drivers and DirectX, and going to the generic driver will fix it.

• LilyRoseLilyRose Member Posts: 4

okay, that sounds like a plan. Does that mean uninstalling any other mouse software? (I've got a Logitecvh with various stuff, I'm not even sure what)

Is there a chance that by uninstallig the mouse drivers I could make it impossible to finsih rebooting and reloading again? (Sorry if that's a dumb question)

~~

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by LilyRose

okay, that sounds like a plan. Does that mean uninstalling any other mouse software? (I've got a Logitecvh with various stuff, I'm not even sure what)

Is there a chance that by uninstallig the mouse drivers I could make it impossible to finsih rebooting and reloading again? (Sorry if that's a dumb question)

it shouldn't.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Do you have mouse trails on? Turn it off. The mouse pointer is still there and works but it's just not visible. You might see a button highlight when you move the invisible pointer over the button.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

I did have mouse trails on and it did seem to fix the problem  to turn it off. Whew. Thank you.

~~

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I did have mouse trails on and it did seem to fix the problem  to turn it off. Whew. Thank you.

This probably means the graphics driver is not working quite right btw, you may want to uninstall the graphics driver, reboot, and then install new ones.

Originally posted by noquarter

This probably means the graphics driver is not working quite right btw, you may want to uninstall the graphics driver, reboot, and then install new ones.

Okay; once again (because this stuff makes me nervous) if I uninstall the graphics driver, I have to reinstall it by downloading it from a website right? There isn't a chance that between uninstalling it and getting the new one that I won't be abel to see what I'm doing? Does that even make sense? :-/

~~

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Okay; once again (because this stuff makes me nervous) if I uninstall the graphics driver, I have to reinstall it by downloading it from a website right? There isn't a chance that between uninstalling it and getting the new one that I won't be abel to see what I'm doing? Does that even make sense? :-/

Windows will default to a standard VGA driver while you have the real driver uninstalled so you won't have any problem. I would download the new driver first to have it ready though, uninstall/reboot, then install the new driver.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

It means it isn't a graphics driver issue. Re-installing the graphics drivers wont fix this issue but it is a decent excuse to update the graphics drivers. I was able to easily replicate and correct the mouse trails problems on my own system.

It means the mouse software calls in Direct3D did not work like they were supposed to in DirectX 9 and older versions so game makers avoided them and instead used the operating systems mouse software calls. They finally fixed the Direct3D mouse calls in the 10th major revision of DirectX and the continued use of the OS calls makes the mouse do wonky things in DirectX. It's probably why LOTRO DX10 version initially had mouse issues.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams