Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Star Wars: The Old Trek

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

In fact yes. Jedi cant have relationships, not a class for me:)

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Damn! Why i cant reply???

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Originally posted by palulalula

They can, but it generally moves them toward the Dark Side.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Saerain

Personally I just think that's wrong. My understanding of the force was always that the light side was "good" and the dark side was "bad". I don't really agree with the whole light side/dark side system that they are implementing. I thought the light side/dark side system from KOTOR was much better. You didn't get dark side points in KOTOR for having a relationship. Oh and not to mention Jedi in the books have relationships. Just look at Luke and Mara Jade for example. Even in the old Republic there are Jedi who have relationships. Hell even the current Grandmaster of the Jedi order has a son who becomes a member of the S.I.S. for crying out loud.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Banegrivm

Personally I just think that's wrong. My understanding of the force was always that the light side was "good" and the dark side was "bad". I don't really agree with the whole light side/dark side system that they are implementing. I thought the light side/dark side system from KOTOR was much better. You didn't get dark side points in KOTOR for having a relationship. Oh and not to mention Jedi in the books have relationships. Just look at Luke and Mara Jade for example. Even in the old Republic there are Jedi who have relationships. Hell even the current Grandmaster of the Jedi order has a son who becomes a member of the S.I.S. for crying out loud.

Luke is balanced between dark and light. That's what the balance of the force is. The far ends of both spectrums of Light and Dark are bad.

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Xzen

Luke is balanced between dark and light. That's what the balance of the force is. The far ends of both spectrums of Light and Dark are bad.

No way! Oh and almost forgot, Kyle Katarn has a relationship too. He's another light sider.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Xzen

No way! Oh and almost forgot, Kyle Katarn has a relationship too. He's another light sider.

Yes way. Acording to the Jedi Order if your mommy  is gunna get killed by sand people you're not supposed to care. That doesn't sound "good" to me. You're not supposed to love. Again doesn't sound like "good" to me. Luke says eff that crap I'm going to do what is right.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Great article.  Presenting truths with humor.  

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I don't know how this article thread got into this topic but it's an interesting one. Keep in mind that the whole Jedi philosophy is something that emerged from George Lucas' mind with some inspiration and looking at real world religions and such. The whole concept of good and bad, Light side and Dark side, is just what he made up for his movies, nothing more to it than that.

But looking at real world religions and philosophies, the thought of abstinence or trying to refrain from emotional passions in order to reach a higher order of spirituality and elevation is seen in various religions over the world, from christian priests to zen buddhist monks. So, it's not that strange.

The lore explanation that has been given in the Star Wars Expanded Universe is that relationships went out of favor after periods in the Jedi history where it led to vast outbreaks of Jedi surrendering themselves to the Dark side because of it. Sort of a wave trend, where sometimes there's a period where relationships are forbidden and then periods again where it's tolerated.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This is being temporarily locked until we can go through it and sort things out. When it is reopened, I'll post again and let you guys know. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Okay, we have decided to reopen this thread to comments. However, keep real life political, religious, and moral arguments/discussions out of it. We have a diverse group here, so let's not lose respect for that fact. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

We could of used this discussion, in the TOR forums, a few yrs back. The same whining has been regurgitated too many times over there.

Oh well, the forums are better to deal with than the PRECioUs part 2.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

A well writen article with some seriously good points of view. When you think about those three complaints they do sound very stupid.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I concur with the OP

NGE2 + role playing with NPC in a massively multiplayer game+ having everyone run around with a pet = awsome.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

"Star Wars fans are pretty much f**king psychotic."

I stopped reading there and whole hearted agreed with your rant.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

NGE killed SWG and I will never forgive them for that. And I do not trust them anymore.

SWTOR will fail from start, so will not even buy it. I canceled my pre-order.

Why will it fail? Too cartoonish, childish, WoWish and too much single player for a mmorpg. The combat also look boring. It will follow AoC, high pop the first weeks and then it will die.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by ShredderSE

NGE killed SWG and I will never forgive them for that. And I do not trust them anymore.

SWTOR will fail from start, so will not even buy it. I canceled my pre-order.

Why will it fail? Too cartoonish, childish, WoWish and too much single player for a mmorpg. The combat also look boring. It will follow AoC, high pop the first weeks and then it will die.

Case in point.  These out of place statements of opinion are just one of the annoying things that led Coyote to write this piece.   Something about "Luckily that hesitation to ever trust again doesn't stop them from going into every forum they can find in order to remind everyone that no matter how good they feel the game is, it'll eventually be ruined."

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by DarkPony

You guys sound a bit like grumpy old men. (KanoRain even like a violent grumpy old man. What is wrong with you? Feel criticized and can't deal with it?)

Coyote is exactly like you correctly mentioned: a columnist. Columns are by definition a medium for writers to express themselves and their often feigned or exagerated opinions in controversial / shocking / humoristic / unexpected / ironic and sarcastic ways. It's the stand up comedy of journalism. Luckily Coyote is using that freedom to the full extent.

To me, he's a breath of fresh air to the usual, informative or carefully written opinion pieces on mmorpg.com. His columns are hilarious but seeing some people getting so riled up about it comes in as a good second.

This guy is holding up a pretty good mirror to what he is seeing and reading here and I can't blame him for doing so: a lot of mmorpg.com posters do make up an egotastical, self-entitled, over-opinionated bunch. Good thing that he doesn't care about stepping on a few toes.

Go Coyote, go!

This. Some of these comments make me ashamed to be a member of this site. Which I suppose proves his point. 

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by BadSpock

OMG do not start arguing these points again!

PLEASE!

Read the article and laugh, laugh at yourselves for trying to bring up and argue this crap AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

what he said

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Video romances to be taken seriously are silly anyways. Someone can't get laid or what ?

The most they do is add a little flavor to the storry.

As for article, yeah, i agree with most of it :)

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Originally posted by Abdar

Wow, your amazing bud. I mean it must be really hard to take a sh1t on a game that hasn't come out yet. For the record, you could have been talking about GW2, Tera, Secret World .. whatever.

Point is, do you (and mmorpg.com) actually think this provides any value to anyone at all?

lol. did you even read the article?

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

We live in an age where it is more important in Star Wars that we have gay sex than Wookie player characters. Star Wars may be a MMO that fails, but at least it will fail while having Equality, what could be more important than that?

I really couldn’t make it up, thanks for giving me my best laugh in a few weeks. :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

An entirely new level of stupid has been reached with some of the comments in this thread.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

With all the BS that's put up on the internet on an hourly basis.. THIS is the one everyone is getting up in arms about? lol.. Ok...

• Ifrinn1Ifrinn1 Member Posts: 1

Rant much