Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Induction" on skills (casting time) makes this game incredibly dull.

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Seriously; I am now playing a Burglar and even with this I feel like killing in sirup. When I sneak up on mobs/npc's then attack them, I see my character raise his arms like in forever before the attack is initiated. Ridicolous.

I have tried LOTRO like 100 times since it was released, and I am not getting past level 40 due to sheer boredom. This is highly frustrating cause I really love the rest of the game. The combat system takes away all the fun here unfortunately.

Will this sleepy Burglar class change anything in later levels? If so, please let me know before I cancel the subscription again. For information; my Burglar is now level 18. The killing itself is killing my fun here...

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

You might also consider goig to the official forums for the burglar class and pick the minds of people who have played the class since the game started.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I played the Burglar as well and didn't really like the combat that much either.  I loved the Shire though, that was worth it right there.  But after that I got bored and stopped playing.  Maybe if I picked a different clase I'd like it better because I really got a kick out of meeting all those characters I grew up reading about.

The main problem I had with the burglar is that stealth was pretty useless.  The aggro range was very short so you didn't really need stealth to sneak through many mobs, and many of the difficult encounters you would start out of stealth anyway because they followed dialogues.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I am a "fan" of the LOTRO as game, but I sure do really dislike the classes. The most action filled class I tried so far is the Minstrel, but the class (when I played it) was extremely weak in solo pve.

The game has great graphics, great atmosphere, tons of things to do; too bad the classes all feel clunky and slow. So slow it is to the edge of torture. Sad really, cause LOTRO would have been a great comepetitor to World of Warcraft if not. There's so much that I want to experience in this game, but the boredom of doing it kills all the motivation...

Originally posted by chrisel

I am a "fan" of the LOTRO as game, but I sure do really dislike the classes. The most action filled class I tried so far is the Minstrel, but the class (when I played it) was extremely weak in solo pve.

The game has great graphics, great atmosphere, tons of things to do; too bad the classes all feel clunky and slow. So slow it is to the edge of torture. Sad really, cause LOTRO would have been a great comepetitor to World of Warcraft if not. There's so much that I want to experience in this game, but the boredom of doing it kills all the motivation...

The minstrel is actually very good in pve the higher you go so you could try that again. Or, you might try warden.

you essentially have to memorize these "gambits" in order to activate various attacks, abilities, etc. Some of them require you to enact 5 things in a row in order to do something.

It's not very passive and will definitely keep you on your toes when you are surrounded and have to come up with a particular gambit.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

I got turned off the game when i got told i had 2 spend IRL monies...or start up 10 charecters on 10 different servers (1 on each server) then spend 10-15mins on each char to do the introduction....Just so i can get a friggin mount!!!! (10 silver coins each time u complete the introduction, on each character)

i mean, srsly? they couldnt jus give away a crappy mount in a quest like every other game...?

Originally posted by Juggerz

I got turned off the game when i got told i had 2 spend IRL monies...or start up 10 charecters on 10 different servers (1 on each server) then spend 10-15mins on each char to do the introduction....Just so i can get a friggin mount!!!! (10 silver coins each time u complete the introduction, on each character)

i mean, srsly? they couldnt jus give away a crappy mount in a quest like every other game...?

I could have sworn I remember getting a mount from a quest just north of Bree.  You need to be a certain level though.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I could have sworn I remember getting a mount from a quest just north of Bree.  You need to be a certain level though.

On lvl 20 but you must be VIP to get that quest

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

You mean every other game that has a monthly sub?

LotRO is a pay for content game or you can sub. Sorry you weren't aware of that before.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Originally posted by Qtar

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

On lvl 20 but you must be VIP to get that quest

Oh, LOL.  Forgot that there are gamers out there that expect to play a AAA title for free with no restrictions.  image

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

Eden Eternal....F2P, u get a mount from quest....

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Sovrath

You might also consider goig to the official forums for the burglar class and pick the minds of people who have played the class since the game started.

No OP is right most of combat in this game feels like someone poured a couple gallons of syrup over it.  Its a very slow placed style that had me grinding my teeth for most of the time I played.  Started at launch played through an expansion and just never got used to the pacing it just seemed liked somone took the knob and turned it down a notch or two with this one,  Just un-natuurally slow.

Why couldn't you just have earned some turbine points and unlock your gold limit and then just sold some stuff and purchased the mount?

or earned some turbine points and then bought the quest?

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

OP:

All classes are slow in this game. For whatever reason, the developers thought a non-responsive combat system would be more tactical than one which actually responds when you activate your skills. This was a game breaking issue for me. I leveled several characters and found it to be unbearable after a while. They updated it and remediated some of the issue but it's still a noticeable and rather un-fun combat system, at least from my perspective. 

Combine that with the virtue grind and f2p switch, there's little left to enjoy for me. Best of luck!

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I can't really put a finger on it, but I've never been able to get into LOTRO, maybe this is part of the reason.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

The combat is truly god-awful in this game.  And I say that as a fan of Lotro.  Everything else about the game is solid as can be.  Lots of content, great scenary, epic lore...just the damn combat really takes away from the rest of the game.  Animations aside, this game has some of the most ridiculous cooldowns I've ever seen for some abilities...stuff that's not even game-breaking if it could be spammed.  I still love the game, but agree that leveling a toon is brutal due to the boring combat.  It's a shame, really.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

I loved the books, I learned what epic was and even felt inspired to try my hand at becoming an author myself (without stealing the concept of orcs, hobbits, and such from Tolkien's masterful rewriting of the Nebulung ring saga).

Then I played LOTRO - and I was disgusted with what they thought was epical pvp (PvM)....and the fact I could chat it up with Bob the Dwarf right after a BG where his spider or worg might have beat up my burglar.  Epic fail at best - when in truth, the game should have been the standard of epic quality by which all mmorpgs followed.

Tolkien taught the world that elves came from Scandinavia, and weren't tiny faeries and pixies with cutsie voices - that alone brought epic change to the previous Brothers Grimm concept of what fantasy should look like. 

Tolkien's writings inspired Dungeons and Dragons, and so forth, in fact, anyone with any sense can agree that the entire fantasy mmorpg genre came from what Tolkien created (borrowed brilliantly mind you).

In short, it was Turbine's responsibility, nay, the responsiblity of anyone who took the franchise of Lord of the Rings, to inspire the genre and truly bring the first true fantasy epic of the century to life.

And they failed through arrogance and absolutely slapped the Father of High Fantasy and his fans...in the face.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

The combat is why I dont play lotro.  Each time I tried it I really liked everything the game offered but the combat was unbearable.

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

If at level 40 you don't like the combat of the burglar, then you will never like it. The combat in LOTRO is, indeed, slow, and I understand how people are turned off on it.

For me, it was never really a problem. I kind of enjoy the slow pace of the whole game.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I have played nearly all classes to level 30; thats the "breaking" point for me. Fortunately there are someone here who says the Minstrel is "solid" today, so as soon I get to level 20 with my Burglar I will reroll a Minstrel cause the Burglar is killing me with it's boredome and gay animations. I do remember the Minstrel having the "funnest" action for me, but back then when I played it, it was damn weak in PvE solo. My "old" Minstrel is level 35, but I can't remember when I used to play it. (human, will make Hobbit this time I think)

Sigh... I just hope this game will deliver after level 30 this time. I am on the breaking point to return to WoW just for the sake that there is so few other alternatives (I have put a ban on WoW in my home; since pre-Cataclysm). I sincerely hope I don't have to take such drastic measures...

Argh... :(

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

To be honest I cant see why people hate the combat so much. I personally really enjoy it. Im guessing its just a taste thing. The thing that I found that really holds the game together is the story driven through it. If you dont read the quest texts and just zerg through it like you would in wow-esque  mmo, you will hate it. I really enjoy the game and I hope that others will aswell :)

A class I would really recomend is the runekeeper. If you like huge criticals and fairly fast paced combat, try it out!

Oh and btw the new expansion (Rise of Isengard) is a really good deal for those that are F2P or are just starting up. for 50 dollars it comes with the expansion (dur :P) Path of the fellowship quest packs including Evendim Troillshaws etc. It also comes with the Mines of moria quest pack and the Siege of mirkwood questpack and 1000 TP. the quest packs alone total to 44 dollars in turbine points. Moria unlocks legendary items and both the Runekeeper and Warden classes. I really recomend anyone that may be starting the game or are F2P to get it. 

best wishes

Saint

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

everything instant cast would be:

- everything about the same damage , higher dmg soekks usually need cast

-animations keave, 30% of the animation is casting the spell itself

-and come on....yust spam every button for the win> without casting time the guy with the lucky spell wins anyway then (and i mean the guy who has a spell 1% stronger then the other classes)

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • UrzaElentUrzaElent Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Comaf

I loved the books, I learned what epic was and even felt inspired to try my hand at becoming an author myself (without stealing the concept of orcs, hobbits, and such from Tolkien's masterful rewriting of the Nebulung ring saga).

Then I played LOTRO - and I was disgusted with what they thought was epical pvp (PvM)....and the fact I could chat it up with Bob the Dwarf right after a BG where his spider or worg might have beat up my burglar.  Epic fail at best - when in truth, the game should have been the standard of epic quality by which all mmorpgs followed.

Tolkien taught the world that elves came from Scandinavia, and weren't tiny faeries and pixies with cutsie voices - that alone brought epic change to the previous Brothers Grimm concept of what fantasy should look like. 

Tolkien's writings inspired Dungeons and Dragons, and so forth, in fact, anyone with any sense can agree that the entire fantasy mmorpg genre came from what Tolkien created (borrowed brilliantly mind you).

In short, it was Turbine's responsibility, nay, the responsiblity of anyone who took the franchise of Lord of the Rings, to inspire the genre and truly bring the first true fantasy epic of the century to life.

And they failed through arrogance and absolutely slapped the Father of High Fantasy and his fans...in the face.

Whoa there little buddy and take a deeeeeeep breath then count to ten. Other than your rant about PvP exactly (which is a matter of personal taste frankly) just HOW did Turbine slap the Tolkein fanbase in the face? As someone that has not only read both the LotR series, The Hobbit and more epic fantasy then is probably healthy for most, I dont see any problem with what Turbine did with the game.

As someone that has played the game from beta and still plays it to this day I think they have stayed pretty loyal to the lore and background set by the books. Frankly the only thing I'm getting from your post is that since it wasnt some PvP fest then its nothing more than a fail insult to fans everywhere. Well from one fan of Tolkiens I'd have to say get off your high horse pal, you dont speak for any of us fans, gamer or reader at all. You want PvP? Go play GW2.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I recall hearing awhile back that Turbine is bound by IP contract to follow exactly what the Tolkien society dictates is correct. If they do not follow the lore and obey, the contract wlll be revoked and they will have to close the game. I cannot prove that this is true as it was just something I had read quite a while ago.  May be some food for thought. 

anyways thought id offer something I had heard haha. take it with a grain of salt -bow-

best wishes

Saint

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109
    This is one of those things I just dont get "Combat Speed". I enjoy the pace of combat and find it much better myself than just killing a mob in 2 seconds over and over. What i also dont get is speed on Burglar skills. I (funny enough) atm have a level 40 burglar i have been playing and dont see this forever arms in air you speak of. I can say Burg is not the fun till mid 30's least for me, but now i am enjoying the class a lot. ALong with my support heal spec captain which im sure you might just break something if you played it attempting to do a quest >_<. Some of the animations on the other hand could use some work. But i Found Burglars not to be the one the needs it.

You might try a champion instead. Though the animations are not that great. Also burgs are not really a high dps class. They are more support (cc/debuffs)not a rogue.