Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: F2P FAQ

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Fallen Earth blog has been updated with a new FAQ surrounding the game's conversion to free to play.

Questions in the blog post include:

• What happens to my existing subscription when the game goes F2P?

• What will the chip limit be for free players?

• What happens to free players' crafting queue if they try to craft for longer than eight hours?

Read the full FAQ on the Fallen Earth blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Hmm. I may actually try this game now. 

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

Just started up again.  They've updated a few things graphically (among other things) and it runs much smoother than I remember.  I'm enjoying it even before the F2P starts.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

For beeing generally opposed to item shop based games... this looks fine. The "penalties" for playing for free are at a minimum and have no impact on pvp or combat or anything.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

as i have never plaeyed. Whats the benifit of playing the commander for $30 per month. That seems a little harsh?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Different tiers of subscribership and item shop really kill the whole sandbox vibe the game is going for. Not to mention, the commander level account being $30 is an absolute joke. If it were something like $20 a month it would be justifiable, but twice the price of a standard sub is obviously a money grab.

It's a shame to see the game go down the freemium drain just as it started to get better.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Dunno why people are lashing out at the commander stuff. It seems something for a dedicated playgroup, where everyone goes commander to stack the auras.

If you are a normal player that makes n sense for you.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by maji

Dunno why people are lashing out at the commander stuff. It seems something for a dedicated playgroup, where everyone goes commander to stack the auras.

Because now "dedicated players" who want to get the most out of the game, who previously only had to pay $15 a month... then had to pay $15 a month plus potential item shop purchases (bank space increases, etc), now have to pay $30 a month plus potential item shop purchases.

Opening a new 'tier' of subscription bonuses means that people paying the regular $15 are no longer getting the 'full game', because it's relative based on all other options. In other words, regular players will have to pay the same amount of money to get a less complete gameplay experience as before.

If the commander level sub was only $5 more, it would be more justifiable because more players could justify the extra $5 a month if they're already subscribing. The cost however, is twice that of the regular sub, which is just plain ridiculous. But hey, maybe enough "dedicated" players will get suckered into paying the equivilant of two regular accounts for the full game experience.

I for one will never be returning to this game so long as it has this ridiculous freemium design, which looks to be indefinitely.

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

The F2P that they are offering seems generous when compared to other games, so I might try it out. Though I doubt I'd enjoy it that much, seeing how it's just some random sandbox MMO, unlike the upcoming sandbox MMO World of Darkness with set in a world I already have invested in (somewhat).

As for the Premium pricing, I feel that it should have been slashed in half. So: $5, $10, $15. That seems fair to me.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Originally posted by Ceridith

Different tiers of subscribership and item shop really kill the whole sandbox vibe the game is going for. Not to mention, the commander level account being $30 is an absolute joke. If it were something like $20 a month it would be justifiable, but twice the price of a standard sub is obviously a money grab.

It's a shame to see the game go down the freemium drain just as it started to get better.

What price will vets have to pay for a Commander Premium subscription? < A quote from the FAQ site

All players who had ever redeemed a Product Key (ie, bought the game) prior to the transition to Free2Play will see a price of $19.99 for Commander Premium. Thanks for sticking with us and helping make Fallen Earth great! We couldn't have done it without you :)
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by Master_M2K

The F2P that they are offering seems generous when compared to other games, so I might try it out. Though I doubt I'd enjoy it that much, seeing how it's just some random sandbox MMO, unlike the upcoming sandbox MMO World of Darkness with set in a world I already have invested in (somewhat).

As for the Premium pricing, I feel that it should have been slashed in half. So: $5, $10, $15. That seems fair to me.

It will happen because the prices arn't sustainable .

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Haha, who in their right mind would pay $30 a month to play a video game?

• tankadintankadin Member Posts: 1

After seeing the perma guns selling for $60 in APB:R and now the $30 premium accounts here, Gamers First clearly has no grasp on what would be considered generally reasonable pricing.

• RadiogirlRadiogirl Member CommonPosts: 16

Um, no. While you're right about most things being extras, there's now going to be a time limit on crafting, 8 hours a day. So in other words, it's a form of extortion: Pay us or we'll cripple a basic game function on your account and make it next to impossible for you to enjoy any aspect of the game without spending hours and hours grinding to offset the loss.

I can understand and support the idea of paying more for more, better buffs, quicker crafting and experience gain, more inventory space, more character slots, custom clothing and equipment, etc. but when you start crippling the game for those who can't or won't pay it's a recipe for disaster.

• HardWalkerHardWalker Member Posts: 84

This game continues to be a joke.

What price will vets have to pay for a Commander Premium subscription?

All players who had ever redeemed a Product Key (ie, bought the game) prior to the transition to Free2Play will see a price of $19.99 for Commander Premium. Thanks for sticking with us and helping make Fallen Earth great! We couldn't have done it without you :)
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by punchrx

Haha, who in their right mind would pay $30 a month to play a video game?

People that think the perks are worth it....and its only $19.99...$5 more than a normal sub if you've ever entered a product key or subbed in the past. If you have a regular group you play with you may even split the commander cost and share the aura perks ( I believe I read that this was possible). If RL friends just chip in on the sub...other wise your group could give you an allotment of chips per month or protions of craftingmats or...if there is a way...add shop cash to your account..who knows...just suggestions.

The rest looks pretty damn fair compared to other F2P games. You wouldn't even need the commander status....it's just extras. Just a $9.99...$14.99 sub or even free seems fine to me. Changeable per month..so you're not stuck with any plan. Hope it stays this fair.

It is $20.00 for those who have ever subscribed or entered a product key. For new players it's just extra perks for extra cash...they still have the standard sub rate (plus a lower rate) which also has some perks that you didnt get with a sub before. Plus...which is the first time I've seen...they give you reward points for a free account. Its only 50 but still. I like the game and will definitely try to make time to return and raise my character some more.

Originally posted by maji

Because now "dedicated players" who want to get the most out of the game, who previously only had to pay $15 a month... then had to pay $15 a month plus potential item shop purchases (bank space increases, etc), now have to pay $30 a month plus potential item shop purchases.

Opening a new 'tier' of subscription bonuses means that people paying the regular $15 are no longer getting the 'full game', because it's relative based on all other options. In other words, regular players will have to pay the same amount of money to get a less complete gameplay experience as before.

If the commander level sub was only $5 more, it would be more justifiable because more players could justify the extra $5 a month if they're already subscribing. The cost however, is twice that of the regular sub, which is just plain ridiculous. But hey, maybe enough "dedicated" players will get suckered into paying the equivilant of two regular accounts for the full game experience.

I for one will never be returning to this game so long as it has this ridiculous freemium design, which looks to be indefinitely.

They get what they get before for the same price. I lied...actuallly the $9.99 sub is on par with the pre-f2p sub of $15...and even the $9.99 sub gives you a few tiny perks. The $15.00 gives you various higher perks and bonuses that you didnt get before for the same price..Then there is the Commander sub...now they added what are essentially additional perks/auras/permanent buffs...for $30 per month ($20.00 if you were already paying $15.00). Again..the $30 is a new player price..not a previous subscriber. So I don't see the big deal.

I'll just stop replying. People will find fault in anything. Anyone who doesnt understand that F2P will always , at least, limit some aspect to the point that it might bother you but not necessarily keep you from playing a full game..well..Idk what they should do. I guess keep bitching until by some miracle..someone spends millions to allow them to play their game for no money ever.

This is one of the best models I've seen. If it stays that way is another matter.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

I think the pricing model is fair like some have stated what you get for $9.99 is like what you would have gotten with the old $15 a month model. Im going to come back and play my lvl 50 I started playing when this game first came out and really liked it and what it offered. It was always one of the most fun mmos ive played.

• leuciousleucious Member Posts: 8

This seems to be the most reasonable pricing model I have seen in any MMO to go F2P.  I am looking forward to the release and have actually resubbed just to get a bit of a head start on my old account.  I am not disapointed yet.

• ProstiProsti Member Posts: 45

Eh, it seems like a good deal.. But idk.. Just the sub prices on that list go from "Free" (or what kids call free nowadays), Sub, really devoted, and either psychotic for paying 30 bucks a month or just really sucked into the game to even get sunlight.

Just kind of think 30 bucks a month is asking for a hole in the head. Might as well take that hole. Cause unless you REALLY want that extra stuff. Just doesn't really seem feasible.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

It's pretty funny to see people complaining about charges in a F2P titles. Why do you think a game goes F2P from P2P?

I'll give you a hint - it's not because they want to make less money with the game.

• dbumandbuman Member Posts: 19

Going back to what you said, theres an 8 hr limit for crafting ON FREE ACCOUNTS, so whats the arguement? Pay more, or Pay at all?

What i simply said, however strangely it ended up deleted, was that the 9.99 sub is = to the 14.99 sub pre-f2p, and in addition you only had a 14 day trial prior to f2p and even then you couldnt play a single subbed char after your subscription ran out.

Think of it this way, pay 9.99 to enjoy what you WERE enjoying pre-f2p for 5 cheaper a month, OR pay a bit more to get more out of your experience. Either way everyone is blowing this up way too much.

Suck it up or the game doesn't need you to complain about it. If you don't agree with the plan, dont pay for it. I for one believe the f2p features are WELL worth 0 dollars and 0 cents...

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

geez its f2p, that is, it comes with restrictions. Deal wit it or leave, that simple.

the whole beggar crowd crying about the freebies not beein enough is embarrasing.

• RadiogirlRadiogirl Member CommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by dbuman

Going back to what you said, theres an 8 hr limit for crafting ON FREE ACCOUNTS, so whats the arguement? Pay more, or Pay at all?

What i simply said, however strangely it ended up deleted, was that the 9.99 sub is = to the 14.99 sub pre-f2p, and in addition you only had a 14 day trial prior to f2p and even then you couldnt play a single subbed char after your subscription ran out.

Think of it this way, pay 9.99 to enjoy what you WERE enjoying pre-f2p for 5 cheaper a month, OR pay a bit more to get more out of your experience. Either way everyone is blowing this up way too much.

Suck it up or the game doesn't need you to complain about it. If you don't agree with the plan, dont pay for it. I for one believe the f2p features are WELL worth 0 dollars and 0 cents...

With any other game that might be acceptable, but this is Fallen Earth and that makes a difference. Crafting is not only a basic and necessary function of this game, it's key in advancing further as weapons and equipment must be replaced and upgraded regularly in order to stay competitive and continue advancing. By crippling crafting in this way, players will be forced to grind and scavenge for chips in order to offset that loss.

On the one hand, it might be arguable that free players should be happy to get what they get and play for free. On the other hand, the reality is that players who are forced to do less fun and even boring stuff for hours just to stay competitive will eventually get fed up and move on to other games, taking their potential profits with them.

One of the most basic reasons a game like FE goes f2p int he first place is because there aren't enough paid players playing for the game to be successful and not enough new players are signing up. If FE makes it so that new players get annoyed with this system early on and don't take the time to get involved enough with the game to want to spend money on it, who does that help?

The reality is that the f2p market is very competitive and becoming moreso all the time, with games like STO and DCUO recently announcing that they're going f2p as well. In today's economy, with jobs being relatively scarce and entertainment budgets being tight, players are going to be much more careful about where they spend their gaming time and dollars. A game with an f2p system that's annoying to free players isn't a game that's going to inspire those new players to stick around long enough to want to shell out their hard-earned cash for a better experience. On the contrary, it will likely encourage those players to seek out a better, less limited experience.

There are plenty of examples of f2p games which make money in ways that don't cripple basic game functions but instead offer players other, non-game-breaking ways to improve their experience: Increased experience, faster crafting, custom gear, increased inventory space and character slots, and much more. All of these offer attractive incentives to a player who has money to spend for an enhanced experience without putting other players at a significant disadvantage and unbalancing the basic fairness of the game itself.

To my way of thinking, crippling  a free player's crafting ability in a game like Fallen Earth where crafting is a basic key function in advancing takes it out of the realm of free-to-play and puts it squarely into the pay-to-win category. In my opinion, that's not going to accomplish the goal which going f2p is supposed to achieve in the first place.

In a nutshell, if the free-to-play system disadvantages free players so badly that they don't feel it's worth the time and effort to play and instead move on to another game, how does that really benefit either the game's owners or its players?