Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: Top Five Wishes for Warhammer 40K

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In The List today, MMORPG.com Industry Relations Manager Garrett Fuller discusses the top five things that most of us would love to see included in Warhammer 40K: Dark Millenium Online. Lots of people are looking forward to WAR 40k and it's a terrific list. See if Garrett hit your favorite wishes. Let us know what you agree with, disagree with or would include in the comments.

With Space Marine having launched this month and THQ keeping Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millenium Online under tight wraps lately I thought we should send them a message. So I gathered up some of my gamer friends to put together a list of the Top 5 wishlist items we have for Dark Millenium Online. This is just a starter list as 40K players know there is a lot that needs to be added into the game to really get the feel of the universe. Of all the 40K computer games made, the Dawn of War series definitely wins the prize in terms of full scope of the 41st Millenium. If that template can be used to build the MMO then there is a good chance we’ll see a great game online.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The List: Top Five Wishes for Warhammer 40K.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Amen to this list brother, now lets hope all of em will be implemented and this is a game that can for once hold the reputation for warhammer. Every other game on this IP sucked sofar

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Sorry, but IMHO your list is rubbish.

Why?

Because you completely fail to mention the most talked about issue to do with this game.

Number of 'factions'

Right here on MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1068/General-Discussion.html

in the 30 most recent threads THE most read and talked about issue concerns the decision to go with 2 factions.

and yet none your gamer friends thought this was in the 'top 5'?

Edit: I stand corrected.  See reply below.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

3 or more factions

without that the rest doesn't matter one bit

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Excellent list imo. 

Personally, one thing I really hope for is they use the same graphics as Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. As far as visuals go, Space marine nailed it perfectly. Chances are, I hope they aren't using the same crappy engine from 2010 or similar mechanics to what were displayed...at all!

This game is dying to be delivered as an action based mmorpg. 

The biggest wish I have is:

MASSIVE:

Battlefields need to truley be battlefields! There also needs to objective taking and incentives to 'Siege'. Also to get the Epic feel, I really hope they use NPCs even when player numbers are lacking to make it just look that much more epic.

As far as vehicles go, things like Titans need to be rare. Maybe 1-2 per side.

As far as progression goes, unfortunately from 2010 interviews it seems that progression and storybased gameplay will be in. Will they take a bigger priority than the battlefield at endgame? who knows. They said players will be part of the Black Templar Legion and progress through scout, neophyte and space marine ranks.

Sadly this game cannot allow people to play as any Space Marine legion they like. The likely setup of an 'order faction' (From what we heard there will be 2 factions) would be Space Marine Tank, Eldar Melee DPS, Imperial Guard Ranged DPS, Ecclesiarchy type Priest. But again that is VERY early footage.

Fact is Warhammer 40k is actually too big for an MMO to entirely encompass. So they need to focus on what people want. Sadly I feel they are gonna compromise the need people have to play as different Space Marine Legions, let alone Chapters rofl!. E.g. Maybe I want to play as a Ultramarine or Blood Raven specifically and not a black templar! Black Templars are a relatively unheard of Legion in terms of what gamers who aren't into the lore know.

Either way whatever they do, fans will be displeased in some fashion. Fingers crossed, end of the day we get to be a badass on the battlefield.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Why?

Because you completely fail to mention the most talked about issue to do with this game.
    Number of 'factions'

Actually, he does. Read #4 again. It's not 100% clear, and we apologize, but that's precisely what he's talking about.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Why?

Number of 'factions'

Right here on MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1068/General-Discussion.html

in the 30 most recent threads THE most read and talked about issue concerns the decision to go with 2 factions.

and yet none your gamer friends thought this was in the 'top 5'?

Yea I've seen this on other DMO40k forums too. People are quite displeased about the whole Order and Destruction thing. They don't want Warhammer Online in space. They want Warhammer 40k.

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

Un needed response.

I hope they learn from the mistakes of the last game (WHO), so far it looks like they are not.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Excellent topic!  We over at DMO40K.com have been bashing out these topics for months now.  Personally, if I could boil down my top 5 to just one it would be DEPTH.  The riches of the 40k universe are so plentiful and the options virtually endless that capturing the feel should be priority one for Vigil.  Sure, the game can have factions, but why dumb it down to just 2 such as in Mythics WAR when you could do something unprecedented as having faction affiliation based on racial interests by zone.  Sure the game can have vehicles but why not have ALL the Land Raider variants as special unlocks that space marine guilds can collect resources to craft and field plus all the bells and whistles that go along with "modelling" your favorite butt-kicking tank.

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

Originally posted by Razephon

Fact is Warhammer 40k is actually too big for an MMO to entirely encompass. So they need to focus on what people want....

Excuse me?

You think that the WH40K setting is too big for an MMO?

THAT is what makes it a potentailly fantastic IP for everyone (Developers, Gamers, Producers and even retailers!)

IF (and that is a BIG IF) the developer does it properly.

The hard part is figuring out where to start and designing tools to make continued developement easier.

There is so much potential for expansion here (if the game is good to begin with!) that it could keep Vigil going for years.

They need to focus on what people want most for the initail release.  And they need to do it well enough to maintain interest until they can do an expansion to release more of what people want... and not get too greedy about it along the way.

Can't be done?

Relic managed to do it with the same IP.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Why?

Number of 'factions'

Actually, he does. Read #4 again. It's not 100% clear, and we apologize, but that's precisely what he's talking about.

My apologies.

I consider myself pwned.  ;-D

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

I guess this sentence wasn't enough for you....

"The best part of Warhammer is the idea of the different races all at war. Even though no MMO can host 9-10 warring factions, it would be great to see the races broken out into more than just two sides to fight it out. "

:p 
  • garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Oh and PS:

I love this site

http://www.dmo40k.com/

glad you posted :)

:p 

Okay... double pwned.  :-)

(i'm getting old... it's late... the nurse forgot my spunge bath)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GyrusSorry, but IMHO your list is rubbish.
    Why?

Number of 'factions'

It's a wish, but it's a two faction game. Even if you have sub-factions, it's not going in there. You won't have a neutral-ish sub-faction of order fighting with any chaos sub-faction.

(This next bit is my opinion only) Part of the issue with gaming is people 'wishing' for stuff that is just never going to happen. It just turns into people complaining about the stuff that never happened.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

1. Better graphics

From what they've shown so far the game looks way too cartoony and doesn't cover the dark millenium feeling.

2. more factions

Warhammer is not based around two factions so you need at least 3. Mythic didn't get it right and we all know what happened.

3. complexity

Warhammer is deep, its complec so they need to cover that in terms of customiziation, playstyle and lore. I agree with the skill based system, who cares about balance there will never be a perfect balance so why waste time? Rather bring in something thats more on part with the lore.

4. open world

you can't have  instances in a game like WDK so there needs to be open PvP with bloody battles till the end. Add  some guild quarters for those that compete hard and succesful.

5. screw FPS like features

If you are making an MMOG (why do people always forget the G) Multi-Massive-Online doesn't mean anything. Make the combat feel real, encaging and dangerous, somewhat like Darkfall.

conclusion:

Since the developers are big World of Warcraft fans I really doubt this game will cover the lore, feeling and complexity of the IP.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• DnomsedDnomsed Member UncommonPosts: 261

Originally posted by lizardbones

Why?

Number of 'factions'

It's a wish, but it's a two faction game. Even if you have sub-factions, it's not going in there. You won't have a neutral-ish sub-faction of order fighting with any chaos sub-faction.

(This next bit is my opinion only) Part of the issue with gaming is people 'wishing' for stuff that is just never going to happen. It just turns into people complaining about the stuff that never happened.

While I don't disagree with anything you said in particular, isn't NOW the best time, while DMO is still in utero, to be starting civilized discourse on what we as future customers would like to see the game mature into?

Warhammer fanatic since '85.

Originally posted by Dnomsed

While I don't disagree with anything you said in particular, isn't NOW the best time, while DMO is still in utero, to be starting civilized discourse on what we as future customers would like to see the game mature into?

It is... but it may be too late already?

When it was announced that this was to be a 2 faction game there was a lot of negative feedback (some positive - majority negative).  If Vigil were going to change it - they should have made the change then.

If they didn't... then all the work since then is based around a 2 faction game.

That's a lot of work.  Millions of dollars of development costs probably.

It's not just a matter of resetting a 'flag' to allow this race to shoot at that race.  There will be a whole heap of stuff involved. 

Weapon stats, class 'balance', crafting... environment design, quest plots... so much stuff that we could do a thread on just that alone.

If Vigil decide (learn) three months after release that they got it wrong... it may not be even possible for them to change it.

To give an example - there is one PvP war MMO that had 3 sides in a 2 faction system that I know of.

That was WWIIoL.  They had British + French vs Germans.  And they got it 'wrong'. 

For years, French brigades could not move through British held towns (and vice versa).  British troops could not spawn at French held Spawn Points (and vice versa).  It was a very serious problem.  It caused serious issues in game.  Even though the two armies were allied - they kept getting in each others way.   I don't recall all the details but IIRC CRS had to completely redesign large parts of the game engine.  It took CRS years to fix it.

If Vigil design this game around 2 'factions' they may never be able to fix it.  They may not remain in business long enough.

• schliferschlifer Member Posts: 3

Interesting wishes, i read an article at IGN that vehicles that are big, like the predator i believe was usable only with enough players driving it.

No matter what one thinks warhammer 40k frachise has always been great and the only game to dissapoint me so far is Firewarrior 40k rubbish fps, otherwise no matter how it turns out it will just be great in the end and i believe witht his qoute.

"But you won’t be able to be a Space Marine right away, because that’s a very unique class, if you know the universe. The road there is a great road, and they are in the game.”

They will capture the universe pretty darn good, if one remembers Dawn of war 2 the assault marine thateus, name escapes me he was recruited from a gang in the lower parts of an spire when a blood raven saw him, i believe quests and what not proving ones worth will let one join up witht he space marines which is pretty darn good.

Originally posted by schlifer

"But you won’t be able to be a Space Marine right away, because that’s a very unique class, if you know the universe. The road there is a great road, and they are in the game.”

Ahhh - thanks for reminding me.

That is another mistake.

Players will expect to be able to play Space Marines from day one.  Vigil can expect major problems if they can't.  I am not just talking upset forum posts either... this is potentailly a deal breaker for people who pay for the game.

I do see what Vigil's concern is here.  They don't want 10000 'Space Marines' vs 12 guys who like to play Orc...

But queues and 'race restrictions' are not the way to solve the problem.

• moxfactormoxfactor Member Posts: 70

man, about the customization.  i've been a Salamander fan for over 10 years, and i would love to get in the game, join my dark skinned brethren, and burn the living crap out of everything.  and as Salamander, i would be better with a flamethrower, than say, a Space Wolf.  if the details are properly made, this should be the game of the century.  however, having to cater an online audience who are accustomed to whining about "fairness" in pvp, would we have a game where a lowly goblin be able to play as a terminator's equal?  or since this should be an epic size game, would we be able to play as a squad(ala original Syndicate), which then numbers could balance out the game and the player playing as a squad leader.  it would make more sense than to play as a single character in an enormous world such as W40K.

-- Vet of: UO, Pre-AI AO, EQ, DAoC, Shadowbane, Pre-CU SWG, EQ2, RO, Crossgate, Neocron, StoneAge, JY Online, JY Online 2, Seal Online, Asgard Online, Mabinogi, Dragonraja, Lineage, Guild Wars, WoW US, WoW China, WoW Taiwan, EVE Online, LOTRO, Dark and Light, FFXI, FFXIV, Age of Conan, Atlantica Online, STO, and many more...

-- Still have an account on: WoW: Cata(US)(2 months+).

-- waiting for them to make:
    Zork(game), Wizardry Compiled(novel), Dune(novel), G1 Transformers(cartoon).

Originally posted by schlifer

Interesting wishes, i read an article at IGN that vehicles that are big, like the predator i believe was usable only with enough players driving it.

No matter what one thinks warhammer 40k frachise has always been great and the only game to dissapoint me so far is Firewarrior 40k rubbish fps, otherwise no matter how it turns out it will just be great in the end and i believe witht his qoute.

They will capture the universe pretty darn good, if one remembers Dawn of war 2 the assault marine thateus, name escapes me he was recruited from a gang in the lower parts of an spire when a blood raven saw him, i believe quests and what not proving ones worth will let one join up witht he space marines which is pretty darn good.

While I agree that building up your character is great, they need to provide that kind of 'maturity' experience for each race. Which may be a significant undertaking.

What I would like to see is a personal story 'instanced' and group 'instancing' of smaller scale incursions...alongside dynamic battlefields which are persistent. Thats all I ask for Vigil!!!!

I don't think there is much of a need for 'Open world questing areas'. Space Marines DO NOT KILL 10 RATS!! If you want that kind of system in the game, it needs to be on a battlefield or involve some kind of infiltration/invasion.

Oh and...

SPACE HULK, SPACE HULK, SPACE HULK, SPACE HULK!!! CRAFTWORLD! CRAFTWORLD!!

Sorry, I'm such a WH40k fanboi :(

Forgot to add. What I DO NOT!! and I repeat DO NOT WANT to see is:

1xSpace Marine Tank

1xImperial Guard DPS

1xEldar Banshee Melee DPS

1xInquisitor

PLEASE **** NO!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS TRAVESTY OF A MISTAKE! Sorry for caps. But from footage we've seen there are some scenes which make it look that way :(

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Okay... double pwned.  :-)

(i'm getting old... it's late... the nurse forgot my spunge bath)

No pwning! Just clarifying for our sake. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MerkethyMerkethy Member UncommonPosts: 23

best fan site out there atm ; http://www.warpwatchers.com/

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

My only real wish is that the combat will be close to that of WH40K: Space Marine, i've missed a GOOD FPS/TPS MMO combat since Neocron.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.