Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: The Long Good-Bye

2»

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

More SOE bs...horrible...just all out sad

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Yeah I fell for it.image

I had to sub just to Screenshot all my houses and things. I spent 3 years in-game. I had a lot of nice swag. I want something to remember the "good times", though honestly they were not very good.

Way I see it, my trips to TPB for Sony products have just about evened us up! So I won't hold a grudge SOE.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by precious328

Originally posted by Ozmodan

My guess is that SOE will be out of business, at least in the MMO department, within the next two years.  Smedley has driven that division into obsurity.  There has to be a point where Sony realizes that the divison is a losing proposition and just boots it.

EverQuest "Next" is in the making.

SOE's MMO realm is obviously generating income. It doesn't have to be like WoW to be successful.

It's a profitable failure.

Profitable, hardly, they have been losing money the past couple years, the only thing that keeps the division afloat is the playstation game revenue.  Do you really think EQ Next will actually be published?  I rather doubt it.  All the good developers left SOE a long time ago.

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

hahahahaha

This is like a big F U from sony.

Ppl were screaming for atmospheric flight for years and only now when the game is shutting down, they put it in, lol lol lol.

Next thing they will bring back pre cu for the last month, rofl

you know the code they ""LOST""   roflmfao

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

I is easy now to say good bye, especially when  another SW MMO comes out.  It was good game (not perfect)  it was Star Wars world and nothing can compare with that saga. Soon  will millions of players enjoy again under the 2 suns of Tatooine. Force is strong with us dear SW fans and we should rise again, we should rise and stay forever dominant force in this universe. We will be fat from eating tons of pizza, we will not see real world for years and everyone from our family will abandon us.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Got to see X-wings and Tie Fighters over Mos Eisley tonight, pretty cool stuff, however it's a day late and a dollar short.

I will enjoy my long goodbye to this once popular mmorpg.

What a waste of a mmorpg.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Yeah, I don't think I'll be resubbing to a game I left years ago. It's a shame they can't have two MMOs in the SW franchise running at the same time. I liked KoToR and all, but the atmosphere of that game does not beat that of the actual movies and SWG did a great job recreating the feel of the original three movies.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• PadmeAmPadmeAm Member Posts: 26
    I never played this game but reading about this alot lately with the latest (or should i say LAST) developements I wish I would have tried it at one point... Ah well... I ordered my SWTOR CE and thats where i will dive into the Star Wars MMO experience i guess... See you all there!
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Instead of a "long goodbye", eveyone should just do like I did.....uninstall the game and run away.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Long good-bye ?

More like the ultimate insult yeah

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186

Adding atmospheric flight right before the shutdown, LOL, are they kidding?  Did Sony really need to invent another reason to hate them?  

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by Kravis

Adding atmospheric flight right before the shutdown, LOL, are they kidding?  Did Sony really need to invent another reason to hate them?  

Ok, how about changing the EULA of all their services without telling you taking away all your rights to sue? For anything, not just breaches of privacy? You can use their personal arbitor by yourself, or go hang.

95% of arbitration finds for the company.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/87946

And my favorite: consumer affairs:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/09/pubcit_arbitration.html

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by precious328

I don't even want to hear it.

I've played nearly every major MMO out there. Star Wars Galaxies was the best by far.

Two reasons:

#1. It was just different. I didn't have my path set out in front of me. It was combat combat combat. I could socialize, set up shops, combat other guilds, go exploring (real MMO exploring), depict my character as different due to the countless clothing/color options, etc.

#2. Star Wars World

This will never happen again. It's sad.

The success of WoW has destroyed MMOs. It went from innovation and about the players to give give me give me give me give me $$$$ developers.

I don't think it was so much the success of WoW as the ease to play of WoW.  Then people who played WoW as their first game spread out to other games and complained because the other games were so hard, which ended in games being nerfed.. and that is what ruined MMO's.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by PadmeAm

I never played this game but reading about this alot lately with the latest (or should i say LAST) developements I wish I would have tried it at one point... Ah well... I ordered my SWTOR CE and thats where i will dive into the Star Wars MMO experience i guess... See you all there!

Well, I decided yesterday to have a look at it and activated the 14 day Trial...

So.. today I have 13 days of the trial left... and cannot log in because SOE are not accepting 'new accounts'...

I should have expected this from SOE.  While I understand they don't want to take on any new SUBSCRIBERS ... where is the harm in letting me finish my free trial?

Anyway... I am kind of sorry I didn't get a bit longer with it.  The starter area did make me think of "Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter" though. 

Would have liked to have seen a planet or two.

Anyway - the timing of this makes me think there is probably some kind of licence deal between SOE+Lucas Arts and Bioware+Lucas Arts to 'encourage' SWG fans and players to move to SW:TOR.

It may already have been announced?  if so, don't hang me please, I haven't been following the news that closely.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Gyrus

Originally posted by PadmeAm

Well, I decided yesterday to have a look at it and activated the 14 day Trial...

So.. today I have 13 days of the trial left... and cannot log in because SOE are not accepting 'new accounts'...

I should have expected this from SOE.  While I understand they don't want to take on any new SUBSCRIBERS ... where is the harm in letting me finish my free trial?

Anyway... I am kind of sorry I didn't get a bit longer with it.  The starter area did make me think of "Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter" though. 

Would have liked to have seen a planet or two.

Anyway - the timing of this makes me think there is probably some kind of licence deal between SOE+Lucas Arts and Bioware+Lucas Arts to 'encourage' SWG fans and players to move to SW:TOR.

It may already have been announced?  if so, don't hang me please, I haven't been following the news that closely.

Underlined part might be the reason why they are doing so, two evil companies working together for a greater evil.

Really the NGE not only started the downfall for this game but also for Soe as a whole I'm really wondering, who in his right mind will give them a chance after messing up so many games?

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• kuraikenshinkuraikenshin Member Posts: 47

Wow... just wow. 

It's like SOE just spit in my eye when I read this news.

Jump to Lightspeed was the one redeeming factor of SWG in a time when it was plagued with bugs and pointless 'quests', it was the one part of the game I thoroughly enjoyed. Enough so that the rest of the game became more tolerable even with it's infinite flaws. This sort of update would have thrilled me back when I was playing. I definately wouldn't resubscribe at this point to check it out, although its a few days too late for me, I refuse to shed out any cash for it after everything SOE put me through. Disgruntled SWG vet ftw! Seriously, though.  For all the crap I took from that game there were still good times, effort put into making the smallest little corners of SWG my own, I would almost be tempted to pay the subscription fee just to go back and take a few screenshots, just relive some of that old magic, even if its just listening to the music in the background while the spaceport loads, or walking into a cantina only to experience a moment of lag while the dozens of people in it load. 

It's in this respect that I have to compare SWG to an X girlfriend, perhaps even a first love, that you left behind to move on to bigger and better things... well,  she got ugly and trashy, and you couldn't help but shake your head whenever you see her walk passed you- what did she do to herself? You pity her, but you'd never go back. Well that X just got a boob job, but she's still trashy. And now she has a time limit? Puh-lease.

Nice try to round up a few more subs before the shutdown, I wish they'd put that sort of effort into the game itself before it was doomed. Oh well.

Rest in peace Galaxies. I really wish all my old screen shots of you weren't on a busted hard-drive, but maybe its better that way. The fact that you have a death date on you only serves to make me look back; but I've moved on long ago. You've been dead to me for years.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

*raises a glass as bag pipes play in the background*

May the Force be with you.

/cheers

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Well, its after the date and all but...

Atmospher Flight was always do-able but it had the potential of ruining BH game play.  Hjal put it in so folks could use it to take screen shots as you can't kill anything while flying.

There are those who wish that SWG would go on ecspecially in its current state for the amount of content so far accumliated.  Yes, many of the things hated for the NGE exist but the games content is leaps and bounds removed from the Pre-NGE empty spaces.

A dream senario would be SWG in a Pre-NGE working mechanic with all of the Post-NGE content.  A hybrid of the best SWG was and is ... bug free and working.  Alas, SOE never got the game to a bug free, polished state and LA pretty much abandoned it exept for the cross promotional push that Death Trooper failed at.  Working with what was already approved, SOE only fixed and added to GCW and Fishing in the past year.

The main reason SWG is shutting down is so potential new players won't do a "Star Wars MMORPG" search and mistakingly find SWG instead of TOR.  EA has banked so much into this investment with LA they want all potential players.  Why shut off new additions to SWG?  Theres your answer.  Sept. 15 is beginning of the projected open window for the release of TOR.  Dec. 15 lets SOE close the servers and have time for the holidays for its employees.

I concur with others here.  SOE is not doing well. DCUO failing did not help the company.  Sadly, the monthly sub era of MMO's coming to an end.  The market can not withstand shoddy launches and poor products.  Thats why so many new games seem very small and content-less compared to games of the pasted barring graphics and other advances.  Developers must make budgets and schedules so investors can recoop thier money.  When they fail to do so, thats why you get crappy launches.  This use to be the norm until the finacial and ecomonical system has falterd and just can't withstand such failure for a luxary product.

Why is WOW loosing subs?  Folks gotta eat and the first thing to go is the luxary of gaming.  Yes, the new expansion  wasn't that great but the truth is we are in a resession.   SWG is the least of folks worries.

• MajDogMeatMajDogMeat Member UncommonPosts: 17

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

You guys realize that SW:TOR is just the next "patch" to SWG-post NGE, right?

I mean, yeah, sure you realize it... Its, pretty obvious....

Not the same at all !!

I too have played both. I left SWG after NGE, it killed it for me.

SWG is NOT even close to TOR, far better game is TOR.

Still to have Sony patch/update at this point in time is wrong.

They should as stated, re-activate all accounts and any one who what to get on for old time sake can for free. NOONE should have to pay a dime more at this point. Just show why the game is dead, even with Lucas not giving SOE a renew.

Lucas is making way for TOR, that is pretty obvious !!!

To make the most of the SW fan base you can have only one SW MMO out.

EnJoY

Any problem can be solved, with the Proper Amount of High Explosives.....
    Don’t take life serious, you’ll never get out alive…..

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

This game is a shame. In the begining it was pretty good, but needed updates, tweaks, and improvements.

Instead, every patch and update seem to make things worse, again and again.  Its shocking and sad really. What lost potential and poor management.

• Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

guys guys... Calm your selves , who cares if SOE doesnt run SWG anymore ,, there are PRE CU FREE SHARDS/Private servers that thousands of people play on... 

you poor saps have been playing post CU SWG this whole time?!?!?! ouch...

• Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Gregross111

guys guys... Calm your selves , who cares if SOE doesnt run SWG anymore ,, there are PRE CU FREE SHARDS/Private servers that thousands of people play on... 

you poor saps have been playing post CU SWG this whole time?!?!?! ouch...

AND paying for it... ugh