Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is you Favorite Character Creator in an MMO / How will SWTOR Compare?

GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Okay, this is a simple opinion and reasoning question here.  Which MMO do you think has the best Character Creation AND do you think SWTOR will be able to compete with it.  I am asking for some actual reasoning for the way you feel and if you have some sort of demonstration link, that would be even better.

Here is mine.  City Of Heroes.  I personally have never seen another MMO do a better job in the Character Creator department.  I think it's greatest strength though probably lies in the fact that your "abilities" are not tied to gear in any way, so you can litterally look like anything your imagination can come up with, AND the game has a LOT of possibilities.  It's greatest weakness though lies in that the more freedom you give people, the more people that will abuse it eventually and you end up with male tanks in pink fishnet bodysuits and female nude "Mamazons" running around. 

Unfortunately, though I do think SWTOR will have a fairly dynamic Character Creator at launch, but being that stats are based on gear AND there is currently no appearance tab, it will not be able to live up to the quality of the CoH Character Creator (even discounting gear, just in body type/face/hair selections).  Hopefully with a year or so of work though they can add a great deal in this area.  Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx59YD3yJK8 

Looking forward to your thoughts and please, this is about friendly discussion, not trolling.  If you can't carry on a decent discussion on this subject without bashing SWTOR, then just stay away.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Comments

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

CoH character creation was fairly limeted, sure it was great due to the outfit design but the general character making was "ok" not great. SWG for tis time had a amazing character generator , CO has a better character generator then CoH has today, simple due to doign the same whit a few extra's in the non outfit department.

APB had a great generator also and remains the only game that had tatoo's you could place anywere asfar my memory serves me atm.

and a big EDIT!!!  :  you dare to say SW:TOR has a less indepth character generation then COH excl gear?

SW:ToR Beta Character generation

that almost makes you a troll who likes to hate  <*silly face smilies and other crazy emotes here*>

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

Champions Online, City of Heroes, And Aion have got to be some the Best Character Creators I have ever seen in MMO. Even APB is up there with the way you can make outfits and clothing or even Tatoos. 

Considering Biowares character creators in the past they haven't been too great. Just click a few options thats it.  Although, I never got to play Mass Effect so I know know how the creator was over there, but I did play Dragon Age and it was eh ok nothing fancy. Frankly, I liked Baulders Gate 2 with the character Portrait lol. (used to up load my own once in awhile) Neverwinter and Neverwinter 2 character creators weren't that great either. 

I'm thinking it will be probably be a slider of choices. And I really hope its not but, thats what I'm feeling from all the Bioware games in the past.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Actually Eladi, I think the choices that CoH offers in hair styles alone will probably beat out the total choices that SWTOR has.  But that is NOT the point of this thread, neither was it to troll.  In fact I have pre-ordered the CE of the game because I am so certain of how good it will be over all.  I am just not convinced that the Character Creator is going to be up to par to what it could easily be.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Perfect World, Aion and APB...three MMOs that were absolute crap IMO, but to this day still have the best character generators!  I've heard that the "Cities of..." are good too, but I loathe super hero everything thus I'll never play them to see!

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

Eve online...

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by GMan3

Actually Eladi, I think the choices that CoH offers in hair styles alone will probably beat out the total choices that SWTOR has.  But that is NOT the point of this thread, neither was it to troll.  In fact I have pre-ordered the CE of the game because I am so certain of how good it will be over all.  I am just not convinced that the Character Creator is going to be up to par.

I seen your pro-ToR post around so I know your not trolling ;)

But lets not forget that numbers does not egual quality, and in todays market CoH character creator is a joke (fancy grapical speaking)

CoH is also years ahead and did not have all those fancy options when they started out ,hell most of them only bin add after many years when they started to run out of new types of contend for the general game play. always happens whit games, first some expansions, and some more quest/missions and way down on the list are all the cosmetic addons that people request over the years.

Gear you have to exlc from the comparison since ToR adn CoH dont work the same way in that area, amd Im sure you are correct when you say the current generator will have less styles then the current CoH generator has, but then I could bring up that CoH hair styles look like paper hats stuck on a bald hat and ToRs look "real"

the games are simply to far apart both in Time and tech to realy compare them, check back in 5 years or so and its very likely that there will be some other game being compared to ToR amazing big generator and this whole "discussion" is started over again :P

personaly I only compare features, I exclude anyting that does not work the same way ( the gear in his case) and compare whats left , not in amounts but how good or how many options you are left whit. and then ToR has more asfar we can see now in the Ytube's video's floating around.  i

it wont be the best generator ever made tho, since for exsample it lacks the Cosmetics (eye/lips/cheek) features you could create in apb, you lack the tatoo placement function. its all fairly "static" slider work as seen in any game, but it does offer the current generation of sliders giving you full controll over the body/face .  the only generator currently in use that might actualy be better would be EvE's character generator.  but since I only seen it on videos and not testedthat one myself I could not say so..

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

Everquest 2 was my fav char creation system!

Originally posted by Zezda

Eve online... 

Ouch, bad joke.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Eve online... 

Ouch, bad joke.

You haven't looked at the eve character creator lately have you?

I still prefer Aion's to EvEs but both are amazingly flexible. I don't see any way SWTOR's will come close.  

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Without a doubt Champions online followed by City of Heroes. While I am very much looking forward to SWTOR the character creator will not hold a candle to the two games I mentioned here.

Originally posted by Eladi

Actually Eladi, I think the choices that CoH offers in hair styles alone will probably beat out the total choices that SWTOR has.  But that is NOT the point of this thread, neither was it to troll.  In fact I have pre-ordered the CE of the game because I am so certain of how good it will be over all.  I am just not convinced that the Character Creator is going to be up to par.

I seen your pro-ToR post around so I know your not trolling ;)

But lets not forget that numbers does not egual quality, and in todays market CoH character creator is a joke (fancy grapical speaking)

CoH is also years ahead and did not have all those fancy options when they started out ,hell most of them only bin add after many years when they started to run out of new types of contend for the general game play. always happens whit games, first some expansions, and some more quest/missions and way down on the list are all the cosmetic addons that people request over the years.

Gear you have to exlc from the comparison since ToR adn CoH dont work the same way in that area, amd Im sure you are correct when you say the current generator will have less styles then the current CoH generator has, but then I could bring up that CoH hair styles look like paper hats stuck on a bald hat and ToRs look "real"

the games are simply to far apart both in Time and tech to realy compare them, check back in 5 years or so and its very likely that there will be some other game being compared to ToR amazing big generator and this whole "discussion" is started over again :P

personaly I only compare features, I exclude anyting that does not work the same way ( the gear in his case) and compare whats left , not in amounts but how good or how many options you are left whit. and then ToR has more asfar we can see now in the Ytube's video's floating around.  i

it wont be the best generator ever made tho, since for exsample it lacks the Cosmetics (eye/lips/cheek) features you could create in apb, you lack the tatoo placement function. its all fairly "static" slider work as seen in any game, but it does offer the current generation of sliders giving you full controll over the body/face .  the only generator currently in use that might actualy be better would be EvE's character generator.  but since I only seen it on videos and not testedthat one myself I could not say so..

Even at the begining CoH, if I remember right, had more choices than SWTOR will have at launch (my opinion from what I have seen with beta leaks).  Though only three body styles (male, female, hulk) there are several basic settings for each body style and sliders to even morph those including one for height that lets you go from 4 foot tall to almost 8 foot tall.  Then the different facial options (which I admit that the "races" in SWTOR almost make up for) are a big plus.  On top of that the hair styles, glasses, hats, helmets, hoods, etc. add another dimension.  Then about 2-3 years ago they completely revamped the Character Creator in CoH and added MOR sliders all over again to even adjust facial features.  While I don't believe that SWTOR will have the depth of CoH's generator now, I also don't think they will be able to even compete with what CoH released with either.  I truly hope I am wrong though and have to eat my words. 

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Eve online... 

Ouch, bad joke.

You haven't looked at the eve character creator lately have you?

I still prefer Aion's to EvEs but both are amazingly flexible. I don't see any way SWTOR's will come close.  

To be honest, no I haven't now that I think about it.  Geez, it's actually been a couple years since I took a good look at Eve.  If you give me a link to a demo like I asked for in the OP, I'd be happy to check it out though.  Always willing to look at new things.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Wow, that EVE character creator is astonishing! The makeup options alone make me want to resub, even though I know the game doesn't offer much for my particular playstyle.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

My favorite would be CO for the options, and no i don't think SW:TOR Character creature will compete with it. I'm expecting a some options for body types, tats, hair face and maybe skin color.

I'm expecting these to be click based meaning that you click an arrow and go through pre-defined options and i'm not expecting though i would like slider bars

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Eladi

its all fairly "static" slider work as seen in any game, but it does offer the current generation of sliders giving you full controll over the body/face .  the only generator currently in use that might actualy be better would be EvE's character generator.  but since I only seen it on videos and not testedthat one myself I could not say so..

The hero engine supports a very wide range of slider functions for altering the shape of the character models...(HE was created for a heavy-RP MMO project (Hero's Journey) that never made it out of vaporware)...but as you can imagine an early goal of a heavy-RP game engine would be enormous customization options.

I imagine TOR will have a fairly good CC as a result--at least the skeleton of one. 

But the "enormous variety" of  looooooots of costume options doesn't come from the Engine, it comes from the Artists, and how much time/money the company wants to give them to create gobs of costume pieces.

In TOR's case, I would predict a pretty limited number of models.  They have an expensive IP to match the look and feel of...Lucasarts may have more weight on the final quality of the CC than Bioware does.

So...good sliders, bad variety of costume piece models.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Okay, this is a simple opinion and reasoning question here.  Which MMO do you think has the best Character Creation AND do you think SWTOR will be able to compete with it.  I am asking for some actual reasoning for the way you feel and if you have some sort of demonstration link, that would be even better.

Here is mine.  City Of Heroes.  I personally have never seen another MMO do a better job in the Character Creator department.  I think it's greatest strength though probably lies in the fact that your "abilities" are not tied to gear in any way, so you can litterally look like anything your imagination can come up with, AND the game has a LOT of possibilities.  It's greatest weakness though lies in that the more freedom you give people, the more people that will abuse it eventually and you end up with male tanks in pink fishnet bodysuits and female nude "Mamazons" running around. 

Unfortunately, though I do think SWTOR will have a fairly dynamic Character Creator at launch, but being that stats are based on gear AND there is currently no appearance tab, it will not be able to live up to the quality of the CoH Character Creator (even discounting gear, just in body type/face/hair selections).  Hopefully with a year or so of work though they can add a great deal in this area.  Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx59YD3yJK8 

Looking forward to your thoughts and please, this is about friendly discussion, not trolling.  If you can't carry on a decent discussion on this subject without bashing SWTOR, then just stay away.

COH was the best one I've used in an mmorpg and even though many people always say that CO had a better one I played bnoth and still enjoyed the COH generator more than the CO generator, in all fairness I though CO looked like crap anyway and didn't spend nearly as much time making toons in it as I did in COH but I still liked what I could come up with in COH more than what CO offered.

Also honorable mention from me for SWG creator too even though I didn't think the game had world beater graphics the character generator was pretty good.

To be honest I'm expecting TOR's generator to be kind of middle of the road that has never been their strong suit.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

I dabbled a bit with CO's character creation, I found it to be almost too much....almost.  I did like all the choices you could have.  The thing is, swtor can have a lot of options, but never as much as a game like CO.  They have to keep the characters somewhat in line with the universe/lore.  The last thing you really want to see is a  zabrak sith inquiistor looking like wolverine of the late 80's...spandex and underoos do not fit in with the SW universe. 

Except in yodas lil cave...when he's alone...at night...

Originally posted by Blasphim

I dabbled a bit with CO's character creation, I found it to be almost too much....almost.  I did like all the choices you could have.  The thing is, swtor can have a lot of options, but never as much as a game like CO.  They have to keep the characters somewhat in line with the universe/lore.  The last thing you really want to see is a  zabrak sith inquiistor looking like wolverine of the late 80's...spandex and underoos do not fit in with the SW universe. 

Except in yodas lil cave...when he's alone...at night...

I agree and that is why I personally only want the character creator to be able to adjust the bodies themselves.  Things like height, wieght, muscle build, hair, facial features, tattoos OR in other words, just the body, not the outfits.  Lots of sliders to morph the body, not just to change the features.

• easternstormeasternstorm Member Posts: 76

SWG and aion by far the best ive seen

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

CoX, DCU and SWG. Not expecting TOR to have anything near to it but hopefully will be pleasantly surprised. Tbh though char creation has never been a big thing for me, I'm all about the gameplay and mechanics.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

CoH and more recently Eve Online are the best I've seen. I've seen videos of Champions and it looks really good. I would most like it to be like Eve I think. I'm not the most imaginative person in the world so I didn't really think Eve's character creator would be that big a deal, but I have to admit that I never saw two characters that looked exactly alike. The clothing options weren't that great, but since TOR is item based anyway that shouldn't even be an issue for the character creator since clothing options will be post creation.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

I would say my two favorites are EQ2 and Rift. The problem with both of them, however, is the limited number of hair styles and the ridiculousness of some of the offered cuts (dark elf, anyone?). You can never have too many hair styles. I end up going bald in a lot of games now because I can't find a style I like. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Even though I prefer more racial choices than just human, APB had the best character customization I've ever experienced. I don't expect SW to come close at all.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

swtor is going to be standard for an mmo pick  your race , then your face now some hair. 

and coh was the same they just gave you more options because they did not have gear based cosmetics.