Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five MMOs Worth a Second Look

Comments

• MEGAFACEMEGAFACE Member Posts: 7

DF is great when you spend some time with it, 2.0 will bring loads of tweaks to make it even better.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

I recently attempted AoC and FE, based on reviews that advocated I try them now, that they were much improved. Well, I was unimpressed with either one. AoC has one of the most 

One game I expected to see listed here that wasn't: STO. Now that's a game that has markedly improved of late. But maybe you're waiting till it goes F2P before you re-review it. :)

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

Oops. I meant to say that "AoC has one of the most tedious tutorial/beginner areas of any game I've ever tried." 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

'Only thing Vanguard is lacking is people playing. If filthy $oE would do something about that...'

They did.  they worked hard to make it from Sigil's disaster to what it is today. But no one really came back and the population kept falling and falling and falling and falling.

As to why it doesnt go f2p Im guessing they cant figure out a feasible model for it.  If they lose what little sub revenue they have for it they cant afford to keep it afloat.  People that try it dont stay subbed generally.

They just are unwilling to spend money into a game thats done nothing but suck money and has given no indication of ever growing legs.  

Doesnt help that the game has the absolute worst first impression imaginable.  Character creation.  The characters are so hideously ugly with the horrible cloting options on top of that.  Overall the game doesnt look bad, but your character sure does.

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Interesting list, might even give AoC a whril.  I would suggest that those that won't give a MMorpg a second chance, not play them at release as everyone out there is incomplete and has problems.  Wait six months or a year and just maybe you'll find that jewel you were looking for.  I know that Vanguard is a pretty decent game and those that wouldn't give it a second chance lost out!

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

I have tried every game on that list recently. The ones I have contnued to play are Vanguard and Champions. Champions just satisfies the super hero fix I need and is actually a very solid quest based MMO in my opinion. As to Vanguard I am really baffled how this game has failed. It's a deep open world game with some of the best crafting I have tried and the diplomacy system is original and quite fun to me at least. I really think if people just came back and gave the game another shot they would be surprised. As someone else said there are all these old school vets looking for a good game and right there it is. Also hase one of the best communities I have ever seen bar none.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Good list, but one correction. Fallen Earth is not a sandbox.

• ArthegonArthegon Member Posts: 6

DarkFall rocks, problem lately is that playerbase is being kept guessing as to what and when is going to happen to their favourite game, as Aventurine is planning DF2.0 ....  I have played UO and EVE Online before and DF falls right in line with those other favourites of mine!

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

From those 5 games , only Vanguard is worth taking a second look.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Darkfall?  I mean, come on, Darkfall?  I kept hoping they would make it somewhat as fun as the old orginal Ultima Online, but that is so far from the truth it is sad.  Without skill limits, latecomers will perenially be behind the 8 ball.  Anyone taking a second look at Darkfall is wasting their time, there is nothing worth visiting.

You would have thought they would have looked at some of the early pvp games like Ultima and take the good things, but no, they had their own ideas which frankly do not work.  

I might give Vanguard another try sometime though, nothing on the rest of the list interests me.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Great list.  Probably the only one of these that's not on my personal radar is Champions Online.

It will be interesting to see what DF will come up with for their DF 2.0.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Samhael

Sorry, I couldn't buy into any of the 5 listed here.

Same here.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Ill definately play FE again when its going F2P next month. The limitations for a F2P account were less severe then I expected.

• skaterx2skaterx2 Member Posts: 14

I completely agree, Darkfall without a doubt is the most underrated game out right now.  It is in a genre all its own.  If you like skill based combat where your aim matters, full loot pvp anywhere and everywhere, and the biggest world in any game out i strongly suggest giving Darkfall another try.  Don't be offput by all the haters.  The game is great and worth another look.  If you roll on NA contact Timothias FearsNoEvil of Old Timers Guild for much needed startup gear and advice.  Happy hunting!

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

5. It's like a number on the MMObieland (as in Zombieland) rules of the apocalypse: #1 Never given SOE your money. Sure, I loved the idea of Vanguard as "The Vision" was relayed. I loved everything about it until Microsoft dumped Sigil as publisher and SOE was picked up. It was that moment I knew it would never work between Vanguard and me. That day in beta was my last in beta. Tried it a few years later but everytime I loaded it and saw SOE I felt sick and dropped it after a week.

4. Not into superhero stuff so I'll pass.

3. I liked FE. If they had of made it so the factions could not mix and so that players could hold land, build a house on it and farm it, etc., I might have stayed. It was a sandbox tease, but not a fully developed sandbox.

2. "Combat, Combat, Combat!" Where's that got ya Gaute? Hmm? Played this a few months, all the while kicking and screaming during beta and at launch that they need to have a more thought out crafting system. Combat isn't going to hold the majority of people by itself. So, I played, my guild built a guild keep and kitted it out. Then most of us left the game. Now I here they are "revamping crafting". Yeah, cool. I told ya...3 years ago!

1. Heh, played this at its launch. Lasted two weeks and I just didn't have fun. And it has nothing to do with PvP as to why I didn't. I got killed a couple times, I killed a couple people. It just wasn't as fun as Ultima Online was, which I played for years.

Either way, as some have stated I pretty much give a game one shot. Put the things I want in it (you listening Funcom re AoC) and do them very well and polished and I'll play your game. If instead you determined to do what you want and that I just have to "give you a chance"...hmm, okay, sure. You better "woah!!!" the bajeesus out of me, though. Cause if you don't then I'm dropping your game like a hot plate and never looking back.

And no, I don't owe you a do over 2+ years down the road when you decide to put in the things then that would have kept me and many others as paying customers all along had you put them in during development like we asked you to.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

NEVERWINTER NIGHTS 1

The best MMORPG* ever!

*) Well...close enough to an MMORPG at least. It can be played on quite big servers and with quite a big party if necessary though emphasis usually is on smaller party adventuring.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by mCalvert

Good list, but one correction. Fallen Earth is not a sandbox.

Nor is it free. From what I understand it will become FTP sometime in the near future, but as of right now it's only free for a 14 day trail.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

5) Sounds worth a look.

4) Cryptic can keep their mediocrity to themselves.

3) Its not Free 2 play Until October 12th, so right now it is not free to play. That said I agree people should try it as I thoroughly enjoyed playing it as a subscriber.

2) No thanks, played for several years & the game never fixed core issues. Playing F2p with restrictions doesnt interest me and unlocking the characters I already maxed by paying Funcom even more money ? no thanks.

1) All I hear are bad things so I will stay clear.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Either way, as some have stated I pretty much give a game one shot. Put the things I want in it (you listening Funcom re AoC) and do them very well and polished and I'll play your game. If instead you determined to do what you want and that I just have to "give you a chance"...hmm, okay, sure. You better "woah!!!" the bajeesus out of me, though. Cause if you don't then I'm dropping your game like a hot plate and never looking back.

And no, I don't owe you a do over 2+ years down the road when you decide to put in the things then that would have kept me and many others as paying customers all along had you put them in during development like we asked you to.

You seem a tad high on a horse in these last couple paragraphs.

No one is making a game "for Khalathwyr". They don't have to "impress you". They have to impress enough of the people the game is designed to cater to. If you don't find the game fits the bill for you... then that's fine. It's not for you. The developer hasn't done anything "wrong" by "not putting the things in it that you want" and "doing what they want" instead. They've made a game that will appeal to people looking fo that kind of game/experience... and you simply aren't one of them.

You kind of remind me of this guy I knew in High School. If a band didn't record exactly the album *he* wanted to hear, he bashed them. Didn't matter that others enjoyed it... He didn't, and therefor the band sucked, end of discussion.

And please don't come back claiming to speak for the majority. You speak for yourself. Others who aren't playing have their own reasons. Some may overlap with your own, others won't.

Just like anything else in life, there's no "guarantee" you're going to like something, no matter how much you might want to, or others might tell you that you will. That you spent money on something doesn't entitle you to "get the game you specifically want". It entitles you to get the game the developers produced and released. You might like it, you might not. That's the chance you take with any product you buy, not only games.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I can agree with AoC. But the rest??

CO - All reports indicate it still lacks any depth or content

VG - Why would I pay 15 dollars a month for a game that was abandoned years ago, and has a nominal population? And, don't give me that spin about SOE promising content. "SOE" and "promise" only belong in the same sentence with "foolish for believing". We'll talk if SOE actually ever mans up(11+ year wait on this, btw).

DF - WTF, Bill???

Fallen Earth - Just not for me. I found the game to have a severe lack of immersion and responsiveness in its controls.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by WSIMike

You seem a tad high on a horse in these last couple paragraphs.

No one is making a game "for Khalathwyr". They don't have to "impress you". They have to impress enough of the people the game is designed to cater to. If you don't find the game fits the bill for you... then that's fine. It's not for you. The developer hasn't done anything "wrong" by "not putting the things in it that you want" and "doing what they want" instead. They've made a game that will appeal to people looking fo that kind of game/experience... and you simply aren't one of them.

You kind of remind me of this guy I knew in High School. If a band didn't record exactly the album *he* wanted to hear, he bashed them. Didn't matter that others enjoyed it... He didn't, and therefor the band sucked, end of discussion.

And please don't come back claiming to speak for the majority. You speak for yourself. Others who aren't playing have their own reasons. Some may overlap with your own, others won't.

Just like anything else in life, there's no "guarantee" you're going to like something, no matter how much you might want to, or others might tell you that you will. That you spent money on something doesn't entitle you to "get the game you specifically want". It entitles you to get the game the developers produced and released. You might like it, you might not. That's the chance you take with any product you buy, not only games.

And you assume way to much. Obviously these are MY thoughts about MY preferences. For you to assume they are more than that is your folly. Not mine. You may not know what you like in MMOs. That's fine. I do know what I like and stating so isn't "high on a horse". It's stating my preferences. As you stated some my overlap with mine, which is the only reason I put "many others" in the second paragraph.

Yes, they do need to impress me. Just as they need to impress a ton of other people. If I'm not impressed, I won't play. I would think those many others wouldn't play, too. I feel like I'm stating this twice. Oh, wait, I said that in the post above...

And YOU called the developers doing "wrong" because of my statement of them "doing what they want to". I never labeled it such. It is "wrong" now that you mention it for me in particular if what they are doing is something I don't like. And thus, I (me, this one guy, noone else) won't buy it. Que sera.

I doubt I remind you of anyone you know because you don't know me. If I do it's of someone who told you to your face "You know, you'd better serve yourself by asking someone what they mean instead of assuming and getting high on your own horse."

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

5. It's like a number on the MMObieland (as in Zombieland) rules of the apocalypse: #1 Never given SOE your money. Sure, I loved the idea of Vanguard as "The Vision" was relayed. I loved everything about it until Microsoft dumped Sigil as publisher and SOE was picked up. It was that moment I knew it would never work between Vanguard and me. That day in beta was my last in beta. Tried it a few years later but everytime I loaded it and saw SOE I felt sick and dropped it after a week.

This made me LOL- I 100% agree with the sentiment and found the Zombieland Rule remark priceless- I am going to steal that quote from you =D

4. Not into superhero stuff so I'll pass.

-Agree

3. I liked FE. If they had of made it so the factions could not mix and so that players could hold land, build a house on it and farm it, etc., I might have stayed. It was a sandbox tease, but not a fully developed sandbox.

This I agree with as well- What a wasted oppertunity for a true sandbox setting. I also hated the crafting (I know many did not) 

2. "Combat, Combat, Combat!" Where's that got ya Gaute? Hmm? Played this a few months, all the while kicking and screaming during beta and at launch that they need to have a more thought out crafting system. Combat isn't going to hold the majority of people by itself. So, I played, my guild built a guild keep and kitted it out. Then most of us left the game. Now I here they are "revamping crafting". Yeah, cool. I told ya...3 years ago!

-100% agree as well

1. Heh, played this at its launch. Lasted two weeks and I just didn't have fun. And it has nothing to do with PvP as to why I didn't. I got killed a couple times, I killed a couple people. It just wasn't as fun as Ultima Online was, which I played for years.

I am with you as well. The original vision was a sandbox but the product was a deathmatch game. The no skill cap really destroyed what could have been a giood sandbox with dedicated crafters and such. I really want to like this game, really love the game setting and exploration is fantastic...But it isnt really a sandbox.

-Let me know when you find a game because chances are its going to be what I am looking for as well. =D

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by DarkPony

DF might become interesting. Is there any info released on 2.0 graphics/features?

Darkfall 2.0 might as well be called Darkfall 2020, its not likely to come out before then.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by tmr819

I recently attempted AoC and FE, based on reviews that advocated I try them now, that they were much improved. Well, I was unimpressed with either one. AoC has one of the most 

One game I expected to see listed here that wasn't: STO. Now that's a game that has markedly improved of late. But maybe you're waiting till it goes F2P before you re-review it. :)

Man oh man, you have terrible taste in games.

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

Maybe it is just me, but all of these seem to be PvE-focused games (besides the obvious Darkfall).

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2