Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people ignore AION??

Comments

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

the people that complain about "grinding" for grear are the same people that would rather have everything handed to em or would rather play some random pvp arena based game for hours upon hours ..this genra today is soo spoiled oh the reason this game is over looked is because most people "wether they want to admit it or not" dont like the asian grafix compared to something like wow or sw:tor ..people these days either dont have the time nor money to go out and try every mmo that hits the market...they rather stick to their guns and dont try nuttin new..unless its a copy / paste job

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I avoid it due to the early reviews pointing out the huge grind that was needed.  I'm not Korean and I have not developed a taste for killing 50,000 mobs to move up one level.  Has the game improved since launch, probably and yes it has less of a grind now from what I have read but I'm into other games now.  If sometime down the road I am looking for a new MMO and nothing is out I have not tried, I may pick up a copy of Aion and try it.

When MMO's launch, they earn a rep that stays for a long time.  Why MMO companies continue to release games with a lack of content (Cryptic) or in a terrible mess (FF14) is beyond me.  AoC was a good game but launched with a severe lack of content after the island, it has never recovered.  If Funcom would have waited 6 to 10 more months and filled in that content , they would have earned a lot more than they have now.  Aion was the same way, you cannot release a game designed for one type of player into a market of a different type with only minor changes.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Talonsin

I avoid it due to the early reviews pointing out the huge grind that was needed.  I'm not Korean and I have not developed a taste for killing 50,000 mobs to move up one level.  Has the game improved since launch, probably and yes it has less of a grind now from what I have read but I'm into other games now.  If sometime down the road I am looking for a new MMO and nothing is out I have not tried, I may pick up a copy of Aion and try it.

When MMO's launch, they earn a rep that stays for a long time.  Why MMO companies continue to release games with a lack of content (Cryptic) or in a terrible mess (FF14) is beyond me.  AoC was a good game but launched with a severe lack of content after the island, it has never recovered.  If Funcom would have waited 6 to 10 more months and filled in that content , they would have earned a lot more than they have now.  Aion was the same way, you cannot release a game designed for one type of player into a market of a different type with only minor changes.

you can market that type of game to a type of player..they just failed to do so..prolly cuz they were afraid that no1 would get into their game..this is where alot of mmo's fail..they follow the same quest rail as everyone else..looking to cash in the quick buck of theampark mmo's and not focusing on their own unique ways

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by Talonsin

Pfh, they marketed Aion to their peer players alright. It's a misconception that EU/NA-release Aion was a failure. The game got hyped like hell back when it released and treated like the next PvP revelation.... But in contrast to real failures like Warhammer or STO Aion retained lots and lots of players, the servers are crowded and there's been only the initial server merges after the hypewave died down.

You make it sound like its in line with bugfests and horrible f2p grinders. It's not, sure, its a f*cking asian game, it ought to be grindy. But its got all the features of an asian AAA title, gets updated regularly and is _very_ thriving. It's just not for everyone, i know dead sure it's not for me, but it's a fine game.

And AoC is a really bad example since the game DID recover after RotG and AoC:U's freemium model.

You either have not checked back on these games or consider everything that didn't hammer WoW off the ivory tower a failure.

M

• HorActiHorActi Member Posts: 33

1. Aion is not dead or ignored. Its initial hype has went down. Plus a lot of initial players were L2 veterans that were looking for L3, yet found L2 meets WoW, and believe me you can't make a player that loved L2 and all its depth to play WoW in all its shallowness .

2. In asian MMOs is the future, so it's time to get used to it. Western publishers have offered nothing really new or interesting lately, or at least of some quality so as to stand out. And no, I am not Korean, or Asian, I am European.

3. Infinite grinding is  bad, boring and blant. As infinite questing is. Personally neither bothers me, if it's fun.

So Aion has now found its audience. It doesn't do bad, actually, for what it offers. There had been more sofisticated games out there that were completely ignored.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

today opens Vindictus ÔB to europe, and its a very nice game (free), with nice combat system, and aion offers more or less nothing trhough the last 2 years (i was playing 1 year with breaks), so the question is?

does AION have enough value or fun to be pay to play?

My answer its nope as WoW or Rift have not enough stuff to be payed

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by manny702

Well i always see alot of post of peeps asking what game's to play or if they should play rift or WoW wtf why dnt people see aion? I mean ive been playing the game for only like 3 weeks and am level 31 and am having a blast of a time best game in my opnion i love the gear the wings the skills the people even the mobs lmfao i jsut love the game i go to bed sometimes still thinking am playing in the game still lol so why dnt people give aion a try? Is it because how NCSOFT screwed it up at launch? Or is it because some people find it boring i just want the opnions of why u dnt like aion or what gives u the turn off for this game? Just curious to now other people's opnion's.

The game had an exagerrated launch population because the game claimed it was something it wasn't.

Aion pulled a bit of a bait and switch at launch by calling itself a PvPvE game . This left many with the impression that while there was a healthy PvP component in the Abyss and select zones it was possible to play PvE to level and then the option of electing to go to PvP areas was present.

This was completely true up to about lvl 24 and again close to max level.

Then you got ganked... Alot.

Lowbie Epic grade PvP gear was easily the match of max level gear and anything better than green quest gear was hard to acquire as drop rates sucked after level 24.

Likewise the game is an Asian MMO that relied on grinding basically which left those little lambs that didn't want to PvP constantly in the open world waiting to get ganked.

For a PvP MMO, I think it's an awesome addition and once folks realized that this is what it actually was the game's real subscriber numbers showed.

The forum posts back then were quite funny though...

Month 1: "This game is awesome !!!"

Month 2: "This game is awesome but I am getting ganked alot I didn't realize it was a PvP only game. What can I do?" /Reply "It's not a PvP game, it's a PvPvE game...Hold Still"

Month 3: "Getting frustrated with this game as can't progress as everytime I go to grind or farm for next level I get ganked and have to start over"  /Reply " Cry More.. Umm where are you going next? I'm trying to get enough marks to get my gold boots"

Month 4: "Hey!! Where'd everybody go?"

Aion, at this point, pretty much has the number of subscribers it is going to ever have. I'd imagine it's current number of subscribers is in keeping with games like Lineage and Shadowfall as most PvP only games tend to share the same subscriber base. Had AionWest represented itself and the game clearly at launch it never would have had the launch numbers it did.

• MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by HorActi

1. Aion is not dead or ignored. Its initial hype has went down. Plus a lot of initial players were L2 veterans that were looking for L3, yet found L2 meets WoW, and believe me you can't make a player that loved L2 and all its depth to play WoW in all its shallowness .

2. In asian MMOs is the future, so it's time to get used to it. Western publishers have offered nothing really new or interesting lately, or at least of some quality so as to stand out. And no, I am not Korean, or Asian, I am European.

3. Infinite grinding is  bad, boring and blant. As infinite questing is. Personally neither bothers me, if it's fun.

So Aion has now found its audience. It doesn't do bad, actually, for what it offers. There had been more sofisticated games out there that were completely ignored.

I don't see any similarities in between Aion and Lineage 2. They are totally different games. Lineage 2 was a sandbox type open pvp grinder where Aion is a themepark faction rng grinder.

And yes, I loved Lineage 2. It wasn't a game where a lot of things were restricted thus you had the freedom of choice. You were unlucky with enchanting? You played the market and just bought an already enchanted item. In AIon on the other hand you are totally nyerked, all that soul bound crap mixed with the many annoying cooldowns mean you will need many months to get good stuff when you are not lucky.

For the record: I enjoyed the grind in Lineage 2 since it was open world, there always was pvp and such. In Aion you spend all the grind time in boring instances which giant cooldowns. It was a lot easier to level and get gear in lineage 2 since it wasn't all luck and you had multiple ways to reach your target.

|| Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
    /where God
    ERROR: Target could not be found
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    You missed your target since Believer ignores science
    /skill logic
    You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

• nowrnvrnowrnvr Member UncommonPosts: 42

Maybe because in its first month there was a million gold spammers, /3 channel you couldn't even see the people lfg due to so many spammers. 

Yup again more gold sellers ruin games .

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Akais

Had AionWest represented itself and the game clearly at launch it never would have had the launch numbers it did.

That pretty much matches my understanding also.  When it launched I was tied up with work and unable to play.  Many of my ex-WoW guildies dropped their WoW subs and went to Aion expecting a very strong PVE game.  Most were back in WoW by a few months later.

I still want to play it sometime.  The character art has the reputation for being some of the best in it's style.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Meridion

You either have not checked back on these games or consider everything that didn't hammer WoW off the ivory tower a failure.

M

So, your saying that Aion and AoC have both ramped back up to near launch day subscription numbers?  Do you have any REAL evidence to back that up or should I just take everything you write on the internet as fact?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Coming back to topic question - 

I don't think that it's the case of people ignoring Aion. It is Aion that ignores people. All they want is no life grinders that are happy with doing repetable stuff all over again for the price of nice and shiny piece of gear that don't mind paying extra charge to overcome already flawed system.

It might sound bitter and exagerated, but in fact it's pretty close to that...

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• widjitswidjits Member Posts: 10

Aion.. or narcissist online.. has about the coolest character creation of anything out there and the artwork is top rate. That’s what keeps people playing it.. Looking totally cool just sells.

If it had ugly characters.. it would have been tits up ages ago..

Only dvd in all my years of mmo’s that I folded in half till it snapped and tossed in the bin.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

And the major fun factor or Aion is ? No doubt it looks great and sounds great but thats about it.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I played in the last couple Aion OBT, preorder so I could make my toon at prerelease and subscribed for the first year. When the server merge came along and I ended up losing my toons name to a lvl 25 I quit. You get one thing that is unique in an MMO and thats your name, if they fuck that up through poorly done server merges, then they deserve to lose their playerbase. If someone asks me about an MMO to try, Aion isn't on the list.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by Ganksinatra

It's awesome.....right up until you meet up with a cleric in the Abyss only 2 levels higher then you and your friends and he rapes all 5 of you in a few minutes. They may have changed that, but that ruined it for me. At the time I last played, there was no real guarunteed stuns or interupts...you could use a skill that had a CHANCE to do those things, but to be honest, they hardly ever did, leading to clerics healing themselves to full every couple of seconds, all while dropping their little lightning thingy that kills you. That alone was enough for me to say screw it and leave for another game.

ALL games have problems with balance as far as PvP goes, don't get me wrong, but when the guy that keeps everyone alive is almost unkillable unless you gang up on him, it kind of takes away from anyone NOT being a cleric, and there were a TON of them back then.

You're right there is a balance issue. Clerics who stacks HP manastones will last much longer than one with Magic Boost. But Obviously you havent seen a Sorceror killing clerics with 2 or 3 casts then. Every class has its advantages and weaknesses. I play on a private server (which I will not specify) I love playing the ranger class. But compare a ranger with any other class out there they have the least amount of HP, unless of course you stack HP manastones. But they have such a variety of skills available to combat the other classes its pretty easy to win. The only classes I have problems with are the Spiritmasters and Clerics. Only reason being rangers got 6-8 second silence skill compare to a sorc's 20 seconds to battle the clerics, you'll most likely run out of mana before the clerics do. And this is what really bugs me. Rangers have the focused evasion skill which will resist or avoid 1 magic spell or 1 attack against you (its a 7 second buff cast before you duel). Yet the Spiritmaster's instant cast fear spell overrides this buff, so by the time the fear wears off on you, you'll most likely get the AoE fear shriek spell casted on you or have about 1/4 of HP left to try and kill them.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Originally posted by Akais

The game had an exagerrated launch population because the game claimed it was something it wasn't.

Aion pulled a bit of a bait and switch at launch by calling itself a PvPvE game . This left many with the impression that while there was a healthy PvP component in the Abyss and select zones it was possible to play PvE to level and then the option of electing to go to PvP areas was present.

This was completely true up to about lvl 24 and again close to max level.

Then you got ganked... Alot.

Lowbie Epic grade PvP gear was easily the match of max level gear and anything better than green quest gear was hard to acquire as drop rates sucked after level 24.

Likewise the game is an Asian MMO that relied on grinding basically which left those little lambs that didn't want to PvP constantly in the open world waiting to get ganked.

For a PvP MMO, I think it's an awesome addition and once folks realized that this is what it actually was the game's real subscriber numbers showed.

The forum posts back then were quite funny though...

Month 1: "This game is awesome !!!"

Month 2: "This game is awesome but I am getting ganked alot I didn't realize it was a PvP only game. What can I do?" /Reply "It's not a PvP game, it's a PvPvE game...Hold Still"

Month 3: "Getting frustrated with this game as can't progress as everytime I go to grind or farm for next level I get ganked and have to start over"  /Reply " Cry More.. Umm where are you going next? I'm trying to get enough marks to get my gold boots"

Month 4: "Hey!! Where'd everybody go?"

Aion, at this point, pretty much has the number of subscribers it is going to ever have. I'd imagine it's current number of subscribers is in keeping with games like Lineage and Shadowfall as most PvP only games tend to share the same subscriber base. Had AionWest represented itself and the game clearly at launch it never would have had the launch numbers it did.

Well, if only Aion had a real PvP focus and if the developers had a stance (i.e "we stand by our decision to make of this game a PvP game"), I would probably still be playing the game. But this is not what happened.

As you said, people interpreted PvPvE as meaning PvE at will and PvP at will. The way this was meant to be interpreted was PvPvE in the abyss, i.e. 2 factions PvP and 1 faction E (in the abyss). With minimal research about the game, people would have seen that rifts were a big feature of the game (rifts are what allow you to go to the ennemy land - to "gank").

In any case, to cut a long story short, you make it look like all PvE players left the game and the PvP crowd lived happily ever after, but apparently only the "carebear-est" of the carebears left the game (or probably the PvP players did not gank enough PvE players), since a few months later, they started preventing rifts (so no more ganking) and the patch content was strictly PvE oriented (extra dungeons and crap like that). Which was clearly done to catter for the PvE crowd (you). Also, the PvP equipment was easier to obtain with almost pure PvE grind.

Problem is PvP players got annoyed (so loads left), PvE players thought PvE was not that great (so loads left). So they lied to everyone (or rather, they did not chose to focus properly and completely on PvE or PvP).

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Originally posted by SaintViktor

And the major fun factor or Aion is ? No doubt it looks great and sounds great but thats about it.

Defending/attacking fortress was fun (Mass fortress based-PvP in 3 dimensions). The problem is it was broken... The idea was good though.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Getting great gear plus it, add top end manastones and becoming elyos general. It only lacked dedication from NC and got dumbed down by the american team other than that its still the best MMORPG outthere.

Though I did quit cause of the p2w manastone option.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

Originally posted by csthao

You're right there is a balance issue. Clerics who stacks HP manastones will last much longer than one with Magic Boost. But Obviously you havent seen a Sorceror killing clerics with 2 or 3 casts then. Every class has its advantages and weaknesses. I play on a private server (which I will not specify) I love playing the ranger class. But compare a ranger with any other class out there they have the least amount of HP, unless of course you stack HP manastones. But they have such a variety of skills available to combat the other classes its pretty easy to win. The only classes I have problems with are the Spiritmasters and Clerics. Only reason being rangers got 6-8 second silence skill compare to a sorc's 20 seconds to battle the clerics, you'll most likely run out of mana before the clerics do. And this is what really bugs me. Rangers have the focused evasion skill which will resist or avoid 1 magic spell or 1 attack against you (its a 7 second buff cast before you duel). Yet the Spiritmaster's instant cast fear spell overrides this buff, so by the time the fear wears off on you, you'll most likely get the AoE fear shriek spell casted on you or have about 1/4 of HP left to try and kill them.

Clerics who stack HP die easily because you can stuin/silence or "insert any CC" them.  Clerics with MR set are the OP part, they resist all CC/stuns and pretty much all magic dmg (which some physical classes also have lol) unless you have magical accuracy set and are preferably a sorc. Anyway, magic resist is broken as hell stat. Evasion is broken too...almost everyone has way higher accuracy than evasion so making evasion build...dunno, never saw one. Think ppl tried at the start but gave up as it was crap.

P.S. Just saw you said play on private server...a LOT there is different than on official servers.

• heimdall22heimdall22 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Watching how your character soar, walk and fight

Deciding which armor set looks best on your toon.

Enjoyng beautiful landscapes in the places you have seen for the first time.

Making nice looking screenshots.

Rest is a waste of time - it's all boring timesinks to keep you playing and paying.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I came to the game thinking that pvp would be really good. However, I was sorely dissapointed. It was just dumb zerg fests, or whenever you found some 1v1 or group battles it would just be 10 minutes of chasing somoene on those stupid wings that made it impossible to kill someone and way to easy just to run away. 

The only good thing they had was "rift" pvp, but even that wasn't frequent enough, and again led to more zerg pvp. The castle sieges (in which my hopes were going to be like lineage 2 style) were poorly done, they were just a pve objective with the chance of pvp (more zerg with no strategy). 

Anyways as you can tell i'm still bitter about the game, I had so much hopes about it upon release. Actually to be honest, it is the last mmo game i'll ever get hyped over. Regardless, I came thinking it would be a nice pvp game, it wasn't. I personally think that pve and pvp should be separate. They tried to put them together in this game and it just didn't work (for me anyways). 

• OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78

All the reply I see are mostly river of tears about the "oh so broken manastone and enhancement feature"... I guess "the MMO crowd is a sad sad crowd" heh I guess I read that somewhere :/

Well the point is the game has plenty PvE content, plenty PvP content (as long as you get a guild/legion). Yeah it is hard to get good gear and leveling is not so easy... but I'm soo tired of those nonsense games in which it takes 50 hours to reach max lvl...

I bought the game 2 month ago (previously played on private) I am now lvl 50 and farming my miragent set which is gonna keep me busy for about a month (yeah for a single armor set) and then I'll be busy rickrolling asmos !

This game is definitely worth a try .. or two and if you don't like challenge.. just don't come :)

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by Ronn

All the reply I see are mostly river of tears about the "oh so broken manastone and enhancement feature"... I guess "the MMO crowd is a sad sad crowd" heh I guess I read that somewhere :/

Well the point is the game has plenty PvE content, plenty PvP content (as long as you get a guild/legion). Yeah it is hard to get good gear and leveling is not so easy... but I'm soo tired of those nonsense games in which it takes 50 hours to reach max lvl...

I bought the game 2 month ago (previously played on private) I am now lvl 50 and farming my miragent set which is gonna keep me busy for about a month (yeah for a single armor set) and then I'll be busy rickrolling asmos !

This game is definitely worth a try .. or two and if you don't like challenge.. just don't come :)

a month seems pretty quick to get an entire armor set. takes a hell of a lot longer in other games. Just pointing it out since you said that "hard to get good gear" is not really true. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I tried the demo.  I was gone from the game about two minutes after being puti n the world.  Yuck. No thanks.