What is minimum for maximum?

For people that do not understand what I mean by 'minimum for maximum'. I mean the minimum system requirements to play said game. I am going to be  upgrading my computer here in about a month with these system specs:

8GB DDR3

GTX 260 Overclocked

Corsair 650w PSU

AMD Phenom II X4 955, 3.2Ghz Quad Core

64GB SSD SATA III / with an additional 320gb 7200 for extras

 

I was wanting to know how well I could run: Age of Conan, WoW, Rift and Oblivion with these specs.

Comments

  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

    With that graphics card it probably won't run AoC very well but I imagine the others would max out just fine, it's quite an old card that really doesn't make sense to go with the other parts you plan.

  • moguy1moguy1 boca ratan, CTMember UncommonPosts: 97

    Everything you listed is really over kill for every game listed. You wont even use half that amount of Ram. That video card is great for all those games. That MOBO is super but your system wont even utilize half of it for those games.  I mean, I guess it would be cool to tell people that you have all that nifty suped up stuff in your comp ./shrug

  • Well I already actually own the 260. I'm not upgrading that until the next gen comes out so the cards now will drop in price. So how well would it run Aoc?


  • Originally posted by moguy1

    Everything you listed is really over kill for every game listed. You wont even use half that amount of Ram. That video card is great for all those games. That MOBO is super but your system wont even utilize half of it for those games.  I mean, I guess it would be cool to tell people that you have all that nifty suped up stuff in your comp ./shrug

    Honestly most of these parts were not my idea at all. They were told to me by many members of these forums and the reasoning behind them was longevity. I was just wondering how well they would run those games. Honestly I could go for cheaper, but I want it to last me. I got my computer about 5 years ago and have decided it's time for an upgrade.

  • immortal111immortal111 Toronto, ONMember UncommonPosts: 54

    Wow maxed, rift possibly maxed, AoC High and some very high settings, same with oblivion.

  • psyclumpsyclum blah, ALMember Posts: 792

    Originally posted by Kabaal

    With that graphics card it probably won't run AoC very well but I imagine the others would max out just fine, it's quite an old card that really doesn't make sense to go with the other parts you plan.

    260 was a NEW card when AoC was released, I dont see why you'd say that it wont run AoC very well....  granted it wasn't the 280 which came out at the same time, but it's by no means a low end card...  it should run AoC at high settings fine. 

    AoC has seen quite abit of changes in the last 3 years, but the basic rendering engine is the same.   it shouldn't cause ANY problem for a card that was basiclly designed to run that generation of games.

  • You say it should run it on high, but do you know if it will run it with dx10 settings and all?

  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

    Originally posted by psyclum


    Originally posted by Kabaal


    With that graphics card it probably won't run AoC very well but I imagine the others would max out just fine, it's quite an old card that really doesn't make sense to go with the other parts you plan.

    260 was a NEW card when AoC was released, I dont see why you'd say that it wont run AoC very well....  granted it wasn't the 280 which came out at the same time, but it's by no means a low end card...  it should run AoC at high settings fine. 

    AoC has seen quite abit of changes in the last 3 years, but the basic rendering engine is the same.   it shouldn't cause ANY problem for a card that was basiclly designed to run that generation of games.

    I haven't used a 260 with the new Dreamworld engine but I did use one around a year after the game came out and it really didn't play well with everything maxed out, when i say maxed I mean maxed for at that time ie dx9 as 10 wasn't implemented with everything up as far as it would go including shadows @ 1920x1080. It had decent FPS when standing around doing nothing but large and frequent drops when it counts ie during PvP or running around on a horse.

    Since the dreamworld update all i've tested in it is a gtx460 1gb and an old 4870 1gb which is similar in power to the 260. The 4870 didn't cope well with dx10 but the 460 runs it all fine. As you say, the 260 should run it maxed fine in theory but my experience with it was that it didn't.

  • This is the card I got:

    http://www.amazon.com/BFG-BFGEGTX260MC896OCE-GeForce-MAXCORE-Graphics/dp/B001G0MSMG

    It's a bit of a different version. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference, but I heard this one ran much faster and better then the original 260.

  • From what I've read the one that I purchased is much closer to a GTX 280 in performance, not quite but pretty close. So how would you think it would fair in AoC knowing that?

  • CatamountCatamount Indian Trail, NCMember Posts: 773

    You know, back when I played AoC on my 4870, it ran just fine at high settings and at 1680x1050. Did I max out every option? Probably not, but it was close enough. Of course, I do believe that was mostly in the DX9 client, the DX10 client had serious performance issues at the time.

    With that in mind, I don't think your GPU will bottleneck you in that game to any degree of note. My 4870 wasn't as fast as an overclocked GTX260 (the 216 core model; curse Nvidia and their habit of naming multiple cards the same thing), so there should be no problem.

  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,905

    Originally posted by Nunez1212

    For people that do not understand what I mean by 'minimum for maximum'. I mean the minimum system requirements to play said game. I am going to be  upgrading my computer here in about a month with these system specs:
    8GB DDR3
    GTX 260 Overclocked
    Corsair 650w PSU
    AMD Phenom II X4 955, 3.2Ghz Quad Core
    64GB SSD SATA III / with an additional 320gb 7200 for extras
    I was wanting to know how well I could run: Age of Conan, WoW, Rift and Oblivion with these specs.

    I ran AoC fine on my old computer, it had 4Gb, 280 GTX, a Intel 2,66 Quad and the OS on a SSD. 

    The 260 card is weaker, so you might be forced to tweak down thsome settings a little on AoC, you should be able to max out the other games.

  • To: Loke666

    Did you put it on dx10 max?

  • OgdinOgdin Winnipeg, MBMember UncommonPosts: 17

    Will run all those games on max except Aoc(will run almost max) and Rift.Although they may have made changes to Rift since i left,that game was a cpu hog with a piss poor AA implementation.Maxing out the AA dropped fps by 50% and i was floating around 35 fps with a 955be@3.7 and a pair of 5870's.

    If your on the side that likes it great. If your on the side that doesn't,thats great.If your on the side that will argue til your face turns blue about pointless this or that comparisons,you've come to the right gaming site.


  • Originally posted by Ogdin

    Will run all those games on max except Aoc(will run almost max) and Rift.Although they may have made changes to Rift since i left,that game was a cpu hog with a piss poor AA implementation.Maxing out the AA dropped fps by 50% and i was floating around 35 fps with a 955be@3.7 and a pair of 5870's.

    Thanks a ton man. As long as I can get most max and pretty close on AoC I will be plenty happy :)

Sign In or Register to comment.