Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Subscription Plan: It's $1.00 per death.

Comments

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by Corehaven

So they charge you a buck for every time you die?  So no one would ever run challenging content because fear of death.  PvP would be non existant and completely unrewarding.  People would rage quit by the hundreds.  Or thousands. 

After a year the game would enjoy a wonderfully healthy population of 12 people.  Awesome. 

I am afraid he is right. While the niche MMO veterans welcome the innovation, the causal masses would not.  Now a server dedicated to these rules would be a nice option. It would really make players put their money where their mouth is.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I have a better idea,1 dollar for every yard you cross.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by astoria

I remember when this was the standard p2p system, only in my day it was a quarter not a dollar and a quarter bought you usually 3 lives. oh inflation.

Oh but all those arcade memories were worth every quarter. :)

By the way....I think this is a bad idea for only one reason.  You take peoples' money you cause a LOT of fighting.  This sort of fighting could leak over into RL.  You hit people in their pocketbook by being the douchecanoe that accidentally pulled the wrong room in the dungeon and SOMEONE is going to go crazy enough to possibly want you dead after the 5th time "it's an accident"....yeah right.  That is going to piss SOMEONE off.

You guys forget that a lot of the people you play these games with are fucking crazy.  I mean....for REAL crazy....certifiable crazy.

Nothing a mechanic like a ceiling or limits that can be placed by the player. Suppose a player logs onto a permadeath server. The default game option of 5 lives is set. After the 5th death, the player cannot log into the server anymore until he/she determines how many lives can be spent that session. 

• NuclearSodaNuclearSoda Member Posts: 9

Heh you think wiping makes people rage now, this would really do it. =P

www.wizardsdistrict.com

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by fansede

So they charge you a buck for every time you die?  So no one would ever run challenging content because fear of death.  PvP would be non existant and completely unrewarding.  People would rage quit by the hundreds.  Or thousands. 

After a year the game would enjoy a wonderfully healthy population of 12 people.  Awesome. 

I am afraid he is right. While the niche MMO veterans welcome the innovation, the causal masses would not.  Now a server dedicated to these rules would be a nice option. It would really make players put their money where their mouth is.

I don't really think that this is "innovation."  It's more like a bunch of hardcore MMORPG players hoping that "n00bs" will subsidize their MMORPG experience so they can play for free ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SpectrumizedSpectrumized Member Posts: 48

Dark Orbit, some small browser open PvP MMO did something similar to that, but with a different price, you could get the currency for free (Took a hell of a lot of time), and there was a subscription option that would remove that cost.

It didn't appeal to me that much, since there was only three teeny tiny "safe zone" and even being in a level 1 PvE area was running the risk of a maxed out guy coming in a 1 hitting everyone. I don't like PvP that much, so many it appeals to others, but to me it seems ridiculous in a PvP game, and maybe even a PvE game depending on how often a person dies, to charge players for each death.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

I like this idea because everybody else that likes this idea would be crying about how people like me joined the game for the sole purpose of killing everybody.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

no

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

I can only laugh at this idea....

The whole problem of today's gaming is that the people making games today are not gamers, but  weak feminine men and their dreams of being super hero's with no clue what makes a game fun.

In every game today you see it (the lackluster clueless design),  you walk around the corner, get ambushed by something you have no clue is there and it kills you cuz you had no chance. You throw your mouse up against the wall and punch your monitor, because you literraly had no chance to kill that thing unless you knew it was there... (the 2nd time around). This is horsecrap game design 101. Now you want to encourage developers to put more of this crap design in the game? Once again I can only laugh.

The only way to make a game is to encompass your player, to satisfy him, to challenge him, not to be a dick to him..

Seriously if I die, i get pissed off from the BS that just happened.. I aint going to bust out my credit card to see that happen again..

PLZ CLOSE THREAD NOW

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by fansede

I don't really think that this is "innovation."  It's more like a bunch of hardcore MMORPG players hoping that "n00bs" will subsidize their MMORPG experience so they can play for free ;).

Not too mention encourage hacking even more :D

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I'm late to the party but I think its an awesome idea. You could make games more modern but still have the old school heart racing/meaningfulness at the same time. Genious.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by drbaltazar

I bet there is a dev tryimg to add our idea to their game.would prob work with all paid sub mmo also lol.

As soon as any dev at a legitimate company suggests something this stupid, they'd have a mutiny from the entire CSR department.

It's a ridiculous idea that would never be seriously implemented by a company that actually wants to succeed.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Bad idea.

You would never get a group unless you got the best gear here, and you can't get the best gear without groups.

If it is a sologame it would be fine but MMOs are about groups, and thise would make it harder to put together a group. I would be forced to kick people I would otherwise think is OK, having to settle for a healer or tank with OK gear and acceptable skill works with monthly fees but not if I have to pay for dying.

• Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up but didn't Allods Online already do something like this, but in a cash shop format. Where everytime you die you get a stacking stat debuff and you had to pay to remove it. That effectively killed that Allods' raiding community and I doubt that any MMORPG, with challenging group content, would have a thriving comminity with this dumb idea.

Heck, just today I did my very 1st Raid in Rift and wiped 8 times. Some of them were from stupid errors (pet's ninja pulling). If I had to pay for all of my deaths then I wouldn't have even bothered attempting to raid to begin with.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I can see it now all the high level griefers setting up toll roads extorting you for your gold an items or he will kill you which costs a dollar. image

• ValefanValefan Member Posts: 15

Better yet, make it so that every step you take ingame drains from your bank-account.

Am i a hero? Well, i don't think Churchill, Perseus or Batman thought of themselves as heroes.. But yes.

• ThomasBPGThomasBPG Member UncommonPosts: 86

Gonna throw this out there how about if you were rewarded .50 cents for killing someone :P or .25 cents I mean talk about pvp incentive.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I can't believe anyone actually likes this idea. In MMORPG's, players frequently put their characters lives into the hands of other players. This would be a griefers paradise. Wait until your entire group is in a tight spot, then purposely get everyone in your group killed. Bam, you just made everyone in the group have to pay a dollar and there was nothing they could have done about it to stop it. How many times would this have to happen before the game loses most of its playerbase? I'd give it a couple of months at most, before the game dies out.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Yeah, I gotta agree with Jimmac and others that this is a really terrible idea. People freak out enough already when they die in games like EQ or Darkfall where you lose your stuff if you can't get back to your corpse. I can only imagine how stupid and angry people would get over losing real money towards it. I would seriously never buy another game from any company that does this ever again. Worst idea I've ever heard.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I really like this idea.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Jimmac

I can't believe anyone actually likes this idea. In MMORPG's, players frequently put their characters lives into the hands of other players. This would be a griefers paradise. Wait until your entire group is in a tight spot, then purposely get everyone in your group killed. Bam, you just made everyone in the group have to pay a dollar and there was nothing they could have done about it to stop it. How many times would this have to happen before the game loses most of its playerbase? I'd give it a couple of months at most, before the game dies out.

Yeah I know.  I'm honestly shocked that this idea got so much support.  There is really a huge laundry list of bad that this idea would cause which I and others have gone over in this thread and there really hasn't been any good arguments against them.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I honestly would buy this game in a heartbeat its the ultimate risk vrs reward other then blowing your brains out when u die in the game.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I wouldn't play a game like this. I like to do stupid stuff in games too much for something like this.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

so if i get ganked by an idiot and i pay a dollar to respawn.... i get a group of high lvls and gank the hell out of the idiot, can i get my dollar back?  :D

Thats what im saying you kill someone u get .50 cents added to ur account. If you were good and killed hundred of players a month u could make a decent part time income. of course on the flip side if u sucked you might pay a hundred bucks a month