Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play Neverwinter Nights 1 similar to an MMORPG!

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by twstdstrange

@WSIMIKE

That's positively infuriating, but it makes for an interesting story!

Oh for sure. It was infuriating at the time, though soon after I realized it was for the better. Without characters there, I wouldn't be compelled to go back for more abuse lol. I actually ended up finding a better server after that (Realms of The Lost Legion), so it all worked out.

Funny thing is, he eventually took that server down and later decided to make a new one, built around a perma-death systm. If you died, no matter how far in you were and what you'd accomplished, you were dead. No rezzes, no nothing. Of course... unless you were - you guessed it - the DM or one of his inner clique. The same exact  crap happened on that server. That was short-lived, as people saw one of the "chosen few" get killed right in front of them... and then miraculously, they were alive 10 minutes later and running around. There was an uproar and he ended up taking down the server after only a month.

He was quite the character.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by sfly2000

....and for gods sakes people...stop talking about this game in the past tense already :-P

I think people say that in the sense that they used to play it, but don't currently. I don't think it's to imply that the game isn't still around :-p

Also, what good servers have you found? I have NwN reinstalled, so I'll have to check them out.

Though, I'm dealing with this horrible lag/choppiness in NwN for some reason. It's apparently happening to a number of people from some searching I've done, particularly on Windows Vista/7.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

Just tried to join a PW and was sent to "Jail" twice, the first time for using quotations in my name, the second because there was a an extra space in my name. /rolleyes

I'm going to make my own... Or attempt to. I've always wanted to.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Just tried to join a PW and was sent to "Jail" twice, the first time for using quotations in my name, the second because there was a an extra space in my name. /rolleyes

You fiend, frankly I'm surprised they let you out after those heinous acts.

Originally posted by Xexv

You fiend, frankly I'm surprised they let you out after those heinous acts.

Well I *am* Chaotic Neutral.

• ken7ken7 Member Posts: 3

I actually prefer NWN to the MMO's I play. When I'm looking for a mindless grind I'll hop onto LoTRO or Ultima Online, but for good RP I'm all about NWN. PWs share all the same elements of MMO's, and they are designed pretty much the same way. It's safe to say that PWs are modeled after MMO's. There are towns, merchants, safe zones, pvp areas, crafting, loot drops, etc. I would say they are MMO's. More precicely each PW is an MMO instance. Technically it would be simple to tie all the NWN servers together and form a single truley massive game (there's a Sigil server that would love to act as the hub), but thanks to a few douchebags like WSIMikes old DM that's never goiing to happen. :(

Sure the graphics are dated, and no, there's no z axis. But there's not much else you can say bad about the game and having DM's can be AWESOME. I can certainly understand why MMO's can't allow DM's. WSIMike's story pretty much says it all. But if you find a good server with good DM's the NwN experience is completely unique. The world becomes an evolving living breathing thing driven (at least to some degree) by player actions. There's nothing like it.

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

That brings back memories.

I mostly hanged out in "social" inside Tavern mods to socialize.

Altho the only thing that happend there was a group of people wearing black and txt editing there gear&characters to one shot people and being immune to all damage lol.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by WSIMike

Funny thing is, he eventually took that server down and later decided to make a new one, built around a perma-death systm. If you died, no matter how far in you were and what you'd accomplished, you were dead. No rezzes, no nothing. Of course... unless you were - you guessed it - the DM or one of his inner clique. The same exact  crap happened on that server. That was short-lived, as people saw one of the "chosen few" get killed right in front of them... and then miraculously, they were alive 10 minutes later and running around. There was an uproar and he ended up taking down the server after only a month.

Was it Wake?

Also, what good servers have you found? I have NwN reinstalled, so I'll have to check them out.

Though, I'm dealing with this horrible lag/choppiness in NwN for some reason. It's apparently happening to a number of people from some searching I've done, particularly on Windows Vista/7.

I've got all my suggestion for servers posted in my NWN1 community/guild thingie 

http://www.xfire.com/clans/superfly2000/

Currently I am playing at Kharlindale which I wrote about in the news section there.

About lag/choppiness, you should probably take a look at my other list on how to solve problems with getting the game properly installed on win7/vista:

Does anybody know of any PW's that don't have RP Nazi's in them?

I've never really gotten into RPing, and every time I join a new server I get yelled at for saying "Hello." instead of "GREETINGS, TRAVELLER! I AM SIR BLAH OF THE SEVENTH DIVISION OF THE KNIGHTS OF DERP! PRAY, COME ALONG AND COMBAT THE VILE UNDEAD HORDE THAT HAS PLAGUED THIS LAND FOR FAR TOO LONG!"

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Drmarvin

Higher ground servers in NWN 1 are phenomenal.  They do what many MMO's would aspire to.  The scripting and how far they've taken the NWN 1 game is truly amazing.  A few links for those interested.

http://wiki.hgweb.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com/index.cgi

and the review on NWN Vault, why it's a '10' 

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Gameworld.Detail&id=251

They have customized the game so you can go to level 60 and soon level 80. 

Action based, not a lot of role play but focuses on grouping and epic content.

I've played many many MMO's starting with UO and EQ and I always come back to this.  Can't beat free and continuously developed and amazing world.

To quote myself from earlier in this thread, here is an action based, no RP server that's amazing. 

Does anybody know of any PW's that don't have RP Nazi's in them?

Personally I shy away from servers like that so most suggestions you get from me should be if not totally free of them at least to a minimum degree.

I like roleplaying....but not overdone. Everything is relative really and there is a scale to everything.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I have spent countless hours both playing and designing content in NWN, and I have to say that it is one of my all-time favorite games. Just another reason why I love Bioware!

I'm really glad to see there is still a supportive community for this game.

Was it Wake?

Nope. I honestly don't even remember the guy's name anymore.

Incidentally... Does anyone know how to fix the issue with NwN1 running very choppy/laggy?

My understanding is it's an issue with multi-core processors. My hardware is certainly well capable of running it lol.

I've tried the fixes for multi-core processors and they don't make a difference. Making it really unpleasant to play the game with it chopping/lagging up so badly.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Was it Wake?

Incidentally... Does anyone know how to fix the issue with NwN1 running very choppy/laggy?

My understanding is it's an issue with multi-core processors. My hardware is certainly well capable of running it lol.

I've tried the fixes for multi-core processors and they don't make a difference. Making it really unpleasant to play the game with it chopping/lagging up so badly.

I haven't had any problem with it on my dual-core. Have you tried setting affinity to just one core?

Also, it's a good idea to install the game in a new directory and not in the program files x86 folder, even with UAC off that folder can cause problems.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Was it Wake?

I haven't had any problem with it on my dual-core. Have you tried setting affinity to just one core?

Also, it's a good idea to install the game in a new directory and not in the program files x86 folder, even with UAC off that folder can cause problems.

Yeah, I'm on a dual-core as well, and get that issue. I've tried the affinity thing, but it doesn't make a difference either. Really kinda at a loss... especially since I've played NwN1 on this system before and it was always fine.

Really weird.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Great post, I have many great memories of playing this game online. Mainly on 'the world of amon cluster' and one of the neversummer servers. I played a fair amount on one of the story pw's as well till it shut :/

My one hope for the future of the d&d type crpg's now is something based on the Pathfinder rules set (I'm really anti 4th ed d&d).

(Pathfinder being a continuation of 3rd ed d&d by ex wotc employees that hated the direction wizards of the coast took with 4ed.)

You tried everything in the link on my last post?

Especially this part:

If you have heavy lagg you should check the "Client CPU Affinity" setting in the nwnplayer.ini file. NWN doesn't support multiple processors. You have to set NWN's affinity so that it only runs on a single core. In the ini file set "Client CPU Affinity=1". If the line does not exist you can add it.

• birdman076birdman076 Member Posts: 3

Mike,

Are you by chance running a newer Nvidia card? Say 200 series and up? If so grab the latest 280.xx drivers that solved lag issues for a lot of folks.

Out of curiosity, and out of inspiration for my new module, possibly a potentially new PW if I manage to finish it (Ha)...

Is there anything about PWs you've been in before that you don't particularly like?

Specifically, "starting areas"?

Do you like a tutorial-like area, that explains the rules of the server or gives general world info?

Do you like to just be dropped into a primary city/town and start adventuring?

Just looking for some opinions to work off of.

• EphesymEphesym Member UncommonPosts: 11

I played this game for a very long time and loved every moment of it.

I started on Neversummer, then moved to Trinity II, helped dev on a couple servers, one, Tornado of Souls, I think is still running.

I saw Kharlindale mentioned a few posts back and that is a great server as well. Very friendly dev and nice player base.

I would love to come back to NWN but I have the hardest time convincing my friends to join me.

Out of curiosity, and out of inspiration for my new module, possibly a potentially new PW if I manage to finish it (Ha)...

Is there anything about PWs you've been in before that you don't particularly like?

Specifically, "starting areas"?

Do you like a tutorial-like area, that explains the rules of the server or gives general world info?

Do you like to just be dropped into a primary city/town and start adventuring?

Just looking for some opinions to work off of.

I think similar in-depth question will probably be better answered, and by more people, at the Bioware Social forums where the official NWN forums reside.

Generally about design questions I personally feel that many PW designers need to stop and ask themselves....what do I like myself?

Now to your questions...things that I don't like...hmm...yeah of course...there is like one million things hehe...but ok...lets talk starting areas. I can live without them even though most servers have them. A more "clean" way of introducing a player to the servrer I think is using journal entries. It has many pros. Especially if you are not using the journal for quests and even if you are. It is always avaliable to the player....not just from the start.

Out of scripting technicalities you might end up being forced to have a starting area anyway...because many scripts can more easily be made through conversations there or in similar ways.

Many servers even have a small "referer" area before the starting area. Another scripting techincality that is often used to solve scripting things like having different players start at different places or similar things. Theese "referer" areas are usually very small...and they load so fast you almost don't realise you went past one of them....

Personally I like the primary city/town thingie....and info in the journal. Maybe a short starting area...

Originally posted by Ephesym

I saw Kharlindale mentioned a few posts back and that is a great server as well. Very friendly dev and nice player base.

I would love to come back to NWN but I have the hardest time convincing my friends to join me.

Yeah, Kharlindale is probably on of thoose servers that would fit players used to more modern day MMO's good. It has many quests from the beginning that can be made solo (think WoW).

The only cons with Kharlindale is that it doesn't use the latest tilesets and no additional new custom content tilesets. Still it is a very well designed world and the players are like the most social and helpful ever.

About your friends...yeah...I know....I have some friends also who "moved on" to newer games....but I dunno....I am kind of stuck here. Trying to get more players and friends....for example through this thread...and it works! Got some new friends on Xfire that poke me for playing NWN sometimes and vice versa.

Then there are thoose who don't play computer games at all...but they are beyond saving...lol.

They brushed down the price for it a bit. At least for this weekend it seems.

8 $ at GOG now. As close as you get to a free MMORPG...

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

They brushed down the price for it a bit. At least for this weekend it seems.

8 $ at GOG now. As close as you get to a free MMORPG...

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

even cheaper if you buy it in this promo pack:

http://www.gog.com/en/page/dnd_promo