Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play Neverwinter Nights 1 similar to an MMORPG!

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Inconceivable! If NWN is comparable to an MMORPG then Bioware has experience with MMOs and WoW must be a clone of NWN, hence TOR being a WoW clone is dismissed!

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Thank you for this.  It's the additional weight on the multiplayer side of the scale I needed.

I've recently been playing a lot of NWN 1 and would love to see whats in the multiplayer community.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Thank you OP for creating such a wonderful thread.  I think around the beginning of 2012 I will finally be done with my NWN PW (me and 3 others have been at it for five years on and off), It will be called Isles of Medrea (CEP 2.4 and tileset haks required) when released. It uses a 3.5 edition ruleset and has some better AI and spawn systems included.  NWN PW's pretty much destroy any mmo out for me as the community is tight and works well together, feels like an actual RPG with DM's, imagine that (I play Ravenloft Mists server).  Cheers to all that still play and build with NWN1 !  NWN 2 is cool but the toolset is just horrible for semi-casual builders, bioware rules when it comes to toolsets (NWN1, DA1).

• WulfynWulfyn Member UncommonPosts: 19

I still play NWN1 online. I first started playing quite a few years ago with a group called Ancient Warriors, who had made a really great mod called Path of Ascension. Last year I decided to reload the game to see if people were still playing and to my amazement it was still going strong. A found a group called Higher Grounds who had taken PoA and adapted it further. The amount of extra work they have put in is amazing. There are a ton of sub-races that you can find books for that when activated will skin your character. It also goes beyond level 40. They have added extra spells and tweaked others to make them more balanced. The quality is exceptional, especially considering it's made by players.

A huge map, tons of quests, enjoyable right from the lowest levels, very well balanced and has a great community. I was befriended by some vets in the first few hours who helped me out a lot. If anyone has NWN1 then it's definitely worth the effort to reinstall it and the CEP and find their servers.

www.ygworlds.net

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Ok. There some mistake here.

NWN 1 is nice game, multiplayer in NWN 1 is great , but that what is is multiplayer not mmorpg.

Lately mmorpg and mmo terms are overused.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479

I bought NWN a long time ago, the disks stopped working for me.  I'm not super interested in paying money for something I already had.  If memory serves correctly, its similiar to alot of the D&D games that were out at the time.  I'm currently playing DDO, and having fun doing that. ;0

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Sulaa

I don't agree. Instead I think it is that some people think that they have the exclusive rights to only call some games MMO's.

Can we not agree on that it is a rather wide term?

I mean,

M = Massively

M = Multiplayer

O = Online

Ok...so the two last ones are NWN for sure. The first one, "Massively", is a bit of a longshot...but still...there is no such thing as defining that EXACTLY and also most of the games that you would call MMO do have to some extent INSTANCING in them...so I think it is really mote to claim the opposite as well...that NWN is not at ALL an MMO.

Besides...my main point with my original post was to inform of this game and that it could be SIMILAR....can you dig that word "similar"?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I did play NWN online 10 years ago on 64 and 128 player servers, itr was good old fun. Some servers with active GMs were in many ways better than playing an actual MMO, NWN is still the best online game I played.

No MMORPG though, just  MORPG. :)

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by sfly2000

I don't agree. Instead I think it is that some people think that they have the exclusive rights to only call some games MMO's.

I mean,

M = Massively

M = Multiplayer

O = Online

Ok...so the two last ones are NWN for sure. The first one, "Massively", is a bit of a longshot...but still...there is no such thing as defining that EXACTLY and also most of the games that you would call MMO do have to some extent INSTANCING in them...so I think it is really mote to claim the opposite as well...that NWN is not at ALL an MMO.

Besides...my main point with my original post was to inform of this game and that it could be SIMILAR....can you dig that word "similar"?

erm no?

NWN 1 is Multilayer Online RPG, not Massive Multiplayer. Same as Call of Duty is not massive multilayer game , it is just multilayer.

Having 32 , 64 , 128 players playing with themselves at same time is not massive simple as that.

Having thousands like in mmo's is massive.

Really it is simple.

NWN 1 is simialr cause it is multilayer and cause it is rpg , but it is not massive that's why it is not mmorpg , just morpg.

I agree that is very good game though. I still have a original copy of NWN 1 laying somewhere on a shelf.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

This thread gave me the ambition to dig up my old NWN Gold edition. Turns out it still works! :D Hooray and such.

Finally I've found a game I enjoy again, for a while there I was getting a little depressed that I couldn't get involved anymore.

Currently playing a Rogue through the normal campaign and working on a module. Hopefully my older brother gets his copy working soon...

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Played this game for years on a PW action server, can't remember the name, had faction wars and guild wars in it and everything, lots of pvping with no overpowered items attainable, everything capped at like +5 with the very rare chance of a +6.  Made for some good pvp and had like soooo many level 40s it wasnt even funny, trying to create the best build, screwing up and doing it again, thinking you had something good only to get rolled then remaking them over again....endless possibilites of class/feat combos.

Having 32 , 64 , 128 players playing with themselves at same time is not massive simple as that.

Really it is simple.

NWN 1 is simialr cause it is multilayer and cause it is rpg , but it is not massive that's why it is not mmorpg , just morpg.

Ok...you want to get technical...ok...lets get technical.

The thing with NWN servers is that you can interconnect them as-well. Meaning that you can take a couple of servers with almost 100 on them and make it into several hundreds of players...or if you want...thousands...Then, using an external database (which is very normal for NWN servers) you can also connect ALL the players more or less to each other...voila...we have basically achieved an MMO.

But sure...what I am REALLY talking about is MMORPG...so mixing in action games here and comparing with that really is not so interesting...and also can we please for crying out loud agree that the gameplay CAN be SIMILAR to an MMO?

I don't want to see more of  the cathegorical "this is not an MMO" please...

Besides....there are a LOT of other games on this "MMORPG" list:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

That really belong there a LOT less than Neverwinter Nights....

....just saying...

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Did anyone else play on Three Towns?

Edit: holy crap.. its still active..

http://www.wakizashi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=12

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Oh man. If it wasn't for that infuriating D&D battle system I'd probably enjoy this.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Vryheid

Oh man. If it wasn't for that infuriating D&D battle system I'd probably enjoy this.

To be fair the NWN combat system is a lot like modern MMORPG games systems, where it struggles is in the low levels where your time between standard attacks is long (you get more attacks per "round as you gain levels), you dont have very many special abilities to use or if you are a magic user you cannot cast many spells/memorise a decent variety of spells.

Ahh yes persistant worlds are what helped NWN1 last so long, I loved playing them. The World of Athas server was a personal favourite of mine.

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

Higher ground servers in NWN 1 are phenomenal.  They do what many MMO's would aspire to.  The scripting and how far they've taken the NWN 1 game is truly amazing.  A few links for those interested.

http://wiki.hgweb.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://highergroundpoa.proboards.com/index.cgi

and the review on NWN Vault, why it's a '10' 

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Gameworld.Detail&id=251

They have customized the game so you can go to level 60 and soon level 80. 

Action based, not a lot of role play but focuses on grouping and epic content.

I've played many many MMO's starting with UO and EQ and I always come back to this.  Can't beat free and continuously developed and amazing world.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by sfly2000

I mean,

M = Massively

M = Multiplayer

O = Online

erm no?

NWN 1 is Multilayer Online RPG, not Massive Multiplayer. Same as Call of Duty is not massive multilayer game , it is just multilayer.

Really it is simple.

I agree that is very good game though. I still have a original copy of NWN 1 laying somewhere on a shelf.

So if an MMO is dying and losing subs and there isn't "thousands" on, it is no longer an MMO then?  Very few MMO's have "thousands on a server at a time"  So should we thus say only a few actual MMOs even exist?  That is the problem of classification on what actually is an MMO.  Sure I would say a persistant world is the number one key.  But then again, you add in instances either areas so they are less packed or actual dungeons so people can run them without others and you lose persistant.  I would say a persistant NWN world is akin to an MMORPG in every way. 

• virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Thank you for this thread. I went searching for my copy of the game, found it randomly in a box of DVDs in my garage. Installing it now, looking forward to trying it out again.

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

My wife and I played on an RP enforced NWN server for a while, I actually had a lot of fun- and it was easy for us since we were in the same room, we didn't have to RP much.

Really it was only bugs in the player made content (which regularly crashed me) that made us leave.

I would LOVE to see this sort of model implemented more in the MMO world- the MO game. Smaller servers, smaller more tight-knit populations, GMs that can create/launch/drive events.

Maybe some of the dynamic quest content from GW2 and Rift will rub off and help start a new sub-market.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I installed nwn2 a few weeks back. I got it gor free with my gfx card 2 years ago and never had a look at it.

A friend recommended it to me so i started playing ... and am loving it! Still going through my first play to learn the tricks.

However, i find only few public servers for it.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Just bought it and downloading. I joined your xfire guild as well, great post!

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

In reply to Pecusor:

Yeah....and even if your favourite server isn't around there are many others.

I do miss one called Ajojahti Genesis...well, later on it was called Nordock Genesis...

That one is gonner though...even if I tried to host it myself some...

I still don't understand why Neverwinter Nights can not be added to the gamelist here...I mean they have a lot of games that aren't even close to an RPG....doh...??

I've requested it several times but no go and no response even...

Guess no one has time for e-mail quieries theese days...

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

If a few people want to join a PW with me, I'd be down with that.