Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you create a facebook account or share your existing to play TSW?

taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

AS the topic says, create a facebook account just for TSW or share you info with funcom?

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I'll just use someone else's facebook account.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I created 10 fake Facebooks. So that when phaseTWO happens I can invite all my other "fake" FB accounts so I can get into beta :)!

Screw Funcom >:(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Re: "I will create a fake account and hope they don't check the information."

I don't think Funcom would mind if you create a fake account.  It just facilitates player interaction for them, and chances are, they couldn't care less who you are IRL.  Funcom might have even encouraged fake accounts, except that it's Facebook's people who take issue with it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Don't really care. If they really want some kid pics...well. Also, if they spam me I will remove them.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I know the way technology bends. I see the trends and evolving norms, watch it filter down to either sputter out and die or conflagrate into the next big thing.

Facebook, and social networking sites in general, have their purpose. If my cousin 600 miles away has a baby, I can share in the immediacy of the congratulations, well wishes, and likely a picture or video of my new niece/nephew. Strengthening ties between friends and family is the only salient quality of such things.

However, more often than not, it is used as a platform for people to A) inflict their perspective of the world onto the world, B) massage grand egos by letting people know what they had for lunch and other such details that even the poster isn't interested in, or C) willfully display their stupidity, such as letting the world know what kind of ass their boss is while simultaneously forgetting said boss is friended to their page. And this is without even touching upon the security issues.

Further, I don't really care much for people to find me. If I want to know you, I can contact you without having a Facebook account. There are only about a million other ways to do so. I don't know what it would take for me to make a FB account, but whatever it might be it hasn't happened yet.

And so it holds true with TSW. If (I stress IF) it requires a FB account to play in general, it is a deal-breaker for me. Since the beta-sign up requires a FB account, I suppose this means I won't be signing up for beta (though I thought by taking the Faction test way back when, I was automatically considered for beta? Perhaps I am mistaken). It's a bit of a bummer, but, in the end it is just a game and if I can't make do in life without a single, specific game, I might as well sign up for FB.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I will not share my FB information with anyone except close family and friends. Seems or appears they could be going overboard. IMO I dont think they should even be considering that. Why cant they just have a like button and let people reply to things they post.

**Raving Rabbid scratches his head on which faction to join in TSW**

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

I created 10 fake Facebooks. So that when phaseTWO happens I can invite all my other "fake" FB accounts so I can get into beta :)!

Most folks here know im not a big Funcom fan but im almost starting to feel alittle sorry for these guys. They just might want to think some things out alittle longer before doing some things like what is happening now to them and Facebook.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55

they will not find anything interesting on my facebook page, i dont keep personal details or anything on there so they can take what they want from it

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

A game based on conspiracy wants me to utilize applications whose orgins began with the Total Information Awareness initiative? Social media was envisioned as a means for building dossiers on YOU by YOU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Awareness_Office

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Most folks here know im not a big Funcom fan but im almost starting to feel alittle sorry for these guys. They just might want to think some things out alittle longer before doing some things like what is happening now to them and Facebook.

Never underestimate the tenacity for stupid that comes from marketing weasels.

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

With Funcoms record, i dont think im missing out on anything.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

A game based on conspiracy wants me to utilize applications whose orgins began with the Total Information Awareness initiative? Social media was envisioned as a means for building dossiers on YOU by YOU.

Well put my friend! It seems the sheeple are still not aware of it. All goes according to plan.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

As I mentioned in another thread, I have no problem with Facebook nor am I worried about my info “getting out”.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and there is no info on it that I would consider worrisome.

Having said that I don’t like the idea of using a social networking site as a gatekeeper or a “pass” in order to take advantage of a game or a service.  To me that is more intrusive.

Recently, on “The Escapist” I went to make a quick post and was prompted to log in using my facebook account. So I just logged into the escapist using my regular escapist account and apparently trying to add a comment to a list of comments on their site still prompts you to log in with facebook.

I ended up going to the thread and it wasn’t a problem there.

If I am posting on a site or playing a game I don’t want to be linked to my facebook account. I don’t mind giving my facebook info to friends and as I’ve indicated, if facebook is selling what I have on their (which is barebones nothing) then fine. But I don’t want my “real life” conflated with my game life. And I don’t want any social networking site to be my ticket to a game or its services.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Nah i already had a FB account but i never put any personal information there so no problem for me. I am all signed up and ready.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I made a new one. Any other graduates of Dark Astoria High, Atlas Park University, or employees of Longbow look me up. :)

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I doubt it will require a facebook page to play the game.  That would be a very very very bad move on their part.  Many people do not use facebook, and while they may use social networking sites, facebook may not be the social network site of their choice.

Or there are people who despise facebook and wish not to share their personal information with the world, so they do not use social networking sites.

This is pulled from theaverage gamer website, whether it is 100% accurate or not, who knows.

• The average game player is 35 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

• The average game buyer is 39 years old, a year younger than in 2006.

• 40% percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (34%) than boys age 17 or younger (18%).

• In 2009, 25% of Americans over the age of 50 played video games.

• 37% of heads of households play games on a wireless device, such as a cell phone or PDA, up from 20 percent in 2002.

• 63% of parents believe games are a positive part of their children’s lives.

Granted, this is Gamers, not MMO gamers, but if you look at the list, the average player is 35 years old.

I would assume that many older people do not have facebook accounts.  My parents don't, their brothers and sisters don't, my grandparents don't.

I have met a lot of older gamers in MMOs and I doubt all of them have facebook.  So if they began requireing facebook to play their game I believe they would lose out on a lot of subscribers rather than gain any.

The move to make facebook required would do nothing to enhance their game, nor to entice players to come play their game. (Or perhaps it would only intice these younger pre-18 gamers to come play, which is exactly what we all want <eyeroll>)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Even though I've been at odds with Funcom since, AO, I'm still slightly interested in the Secret World, and I was attempting to sign up for beta.  The Illuminati are who I'd choose to join, but as soon as I got to the Facebook required part, I gave up.  I know I could create a fake account if I wanted, but I don't even have a real account yet, and probably never will.  This is a stupid requirement, so I'll hold out and hopefully they'll rethink this, but if not, then screw Funcom yet again!

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

HELL NO!

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

I refuse to participate in the poll because it will obviously use my information I provide(a choice) against me in some conspiracy! /tinfoil hat.

Obviously the first option.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I was very interested in TSW but this is a major turn off.  Anyone remember the gimmicks WAR used to get you into beta?  You would hope the game is strong enough on it's own to get enough attention and beta testers.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

HELL NO!

couldnt have said it better myself image

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Share existing. I don't have anything to hide from EA/Funcom.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by heavyhebrew
    Well put my friend! It seems the sheeple are still not aware of it. All goes according to plan.

Great. They'll think I'm a cat with poor grammar skills.

Templars!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

I'm one of those dumbass that just went ahead and accepted anyway.... BUt now, since i don't use much facebook, I don't really want them to annoy ym friend as well, so how do i remove them from ym facebook anyway hahaha XD?

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Yuui

I refuse to participate in the poll because it will obviously use my information I provide(a choice) against me in some conspiracy! /tinfoil hat.

Obviously the first option.

Golden!

I'd keep that tinfoil hat on hand to protect you from the aliens tonight.  Oh and that black car you saw sitting on the street today, yeah that was the government keeping tabs on you.  I'd be careful though just incase funcom decides to choose you for "required testing" based off of your facebook info (that is before they sell it).

Yeah, I chose the first option.