Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Players May Be Able to "Create" Own PvP Servers

Comments

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

i dont like the idea

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by Zefire

i dont like the idea

what is there not to like?

In League of Legends you can create your own custom matches where you choose mode and map. Now you will be able to do that in gw2 aswell... If that's not your thing then don't do it. Go play WvWvW or 'official' tournament matchers or any other amazing pvp gw2 has to offer.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Originally posted by Murah

Originally posted by Talthanys

Why would anyone play in WvWvW in gw2 if there's all these arena matches going on?

<--- not a troll.  I honestly am trying to understand gw2's entire pvp model.

It's a good question, and I can only offer my own perspective.

For someone who can jump on, play a couple hours, and then log off, the constant and persistent  W v W v W mode has more appeal. Arenas and private tournaments are an awesome feature, but require much more time ot dedicate yourself to a team, learning how to coordinate and play off each other. If I had the time, I'd be good at that sort of thing. But there might be more people like myself who just want to jump into a huge, chaotic brawl (complete with point control and such, of course) and help their team out as best they can.

Which isn't to say I'd turn down the chance to play in smaller scale PvP.

Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at, now that a few of you have confirmed my suspicions.  When a game offers both, people mostly do arenas.  Especially the competitive intense pvp players that are in pvp guilds, etc, are typically drawn to arenas.  This weakens the open world experience. 

I loved counterstrike, and if I wanted the great combo of mmo + counterstrike, this feature announcement is jawdropping.  But I loved DAoC more, which is why I consider arena play a detraction from the WvWvW play.  Because of this I'm super looking forward to Prime, but tbh, I'll probably try gw2 as well, just because it might be fun so why not.

Server wide bonuses for the winning side of the WvWvW conflict, and the maps themselves offer something entirely different from arena matches in terms of gameplay.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lol, smart move. Letting people hosting servers will save bandwidth.

• nax38nax38 Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Loke666

Lol, smart move. Letting people hosting servers will save bandwidth.

I don't think they meant dedicated servers.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Really interesting.  Im sure groups of friends and guilds will make very solid use of this. 

I cant really see any problems caused by this either.  Good move by Anet.  But then Im really not surprised. 

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by Talthanys

Why would anyone play in WvWvW in gw2 if there's all these arena matches going on?

<--- not a troll.  I honestly am trying to understand gw2's entire pvp model.

It's a good question, and I can only offer my own perspective.

For someone who can jump on, play a couple hours, and then log off, the constant and persistent  W v W v W mode has more appeal. Arenas and private tournaments are an awesome feature, but require much more time ot dedicate yourself to a team, learning how to coordinate and play off each other. If I had the time, I'd be good at that sort of thing. But there might be more people like myself who just want to jump into a huge, chaotic brawl (complete with point control and such, of course) and help their team out as best they can.

Which isn't to say I'd turn down the chance to play in smaller scale PvP.

Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at, now that a few of you have confirmed my suspicions.  When a game offers both, people mostly do arenas.  Especially the competitive intense pvp players that are in pvp guilds, etc, are typically drawn to arenas.  This weakens the open world experience. 

I loved counterstrike, and if I wanted the great combo of mmo + counterstrike, this feature announcement is jawdropping.  But I loved DAoC more, which is why I consider arena play a detraction from the WvWvW play.  Because of this I'm super looking forward to Prime, but tbh, I'll probably try gw2 as well, just because it might be fun so why not.

I wouldn't say so, not this strict at least.

Other games that I've played that use both are WoW and WAR, in war, at least in my servers, when everyone was starting to get more RR they just wanted open world pvp, or RvR, there were massive battles and 5 am organized server pushes etc. Waking up to see Altdorf being attacked was nothing new.

In WoW they just completely destroyed any sense of outside world besides the city, at this point in wow, if you made elywnn forest/stormwind and durotar/orgrimmar player hubs, everything else instanced no one would notice. 

So ofc with the many community/server transfers, flying mounts, and much more WoW has destroyed the World PvP to a point of no return. seriously, it really is a point of no return, so I dont think comparing instanced pvp with world pvp there is fair.

As for GW2, its very simple, you go into Instanced PvP you gain nothing for you main character. If you want to see some kind of progression, look cool or whatever, you will do WvWvW. Plus some kind of PvE bonuses yet to determine. 

Also, they haven't really said anything relevant about WvWvW other than "its there, we are not ready to show it", so until they are, and they properly show the rewards for it and what not, we can only wait and see.

So far there is very little room for disapointment for me in PvP, and Anet earned my trust when it comes to it, so i'll wait.....

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Great idea, definitly something that will make the game very popular, nothing better than a good old lan party.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Sounds awesome and it explains how GW2 is going to have player ran tournaments.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    That"s sooooo sexy!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i didnt think i could ever love a game company more then ccp, but AN are really pushing :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Skymourne

Originally posted by Tyrxz

*jawdrop*

This...this right here just happened to me!

For me as well, but probably as an effect of a totally opposite reaction. Mine was more along the lines of WHA?!?!

I just don't understand why I'd want this sort of thing in MMO's. What will the environment of these servers be like? What will the addition of this competitive ideal bring to the MMO portion of this game?  It's bad enough logging into AOC and looking at gen chat, memories of Xbox live pop into mind everytime. Now we'll be logging into the MMO equivalent of that for sure.

Competition and e-sports have their place in gaming. The problem is they promote the opposite of what creates a thriving MMO environment.

If there was a websters definition of the term E-jock  this is how it would read : "They are a poison to communities".  This game will be full of them. That can only be a bad thing to the community side of an MMO.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

I was never really a big fan of guild wars or even the idea of guild wars 2. But man, with all the info they keep releasing that is ACTUALLY innovative on top of some 'other' MMO's being more of the same, they are really starting to win me over. I am definitely not a big PvP'er but just the fact they are doing stuff like this speaks volumes about the quality of the dev team.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

So games devolve back to lobby style from open world, and we applaud it as innovation? Lol, interesting. Maybe EQNext will be a 2d sidescroller! OMG game of the year inc.

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Jimmydean

So games devolve back to lobby style from open world, and we applaud it as innovation? Lol, interesting. Maybe EQNext will be a 2d sidescroller! OMG game of the year inc.

Cuzz MMO developers offering play style choices to players is devovling right? /facepalm

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Holy crap, just when i think they cannot be any more awesome, they go and throw us such a nice juicy bone! Hosting my own server will be frackin awesome! My bros and i will be playing for hours & hours on our LAN! ;)

Archlinux ftw

• LeongtiLeongti Member Posts: 37
    Very interesting stance on things, I think it opens up market to players that are very arena driven and helps slide them into open world mmo's. Obviously helps as well that they only have to swallow the once payment pill instead of monthly payments which the likes of a COD player might find hard to stomach.

I look forward to seeing how it pans out, better the have the option of this than not to have it at all.

Thumbs up from me.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Awesome. Just when you think Anet have surprised us enough...

Originally posted by M1sf1t

Cuzz MMO developers offering play style choices to players is devovling right? /facepalm

I wouldn't exactly call splitting the player-base up like this an evolution to the genre, I really don't understand the purpose of this type of thing in an MMO.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Distopia

I wouldn't exactly call splitting the player-base up like this an evolution to the genre, I really don't understand the purpose of this type of thing in an MMO.

Unless it was BioWare doing it with swtor, right?

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

If you don't like real competitive PvP then go play WvWvW, its open, its unbalanced, its chaos, and IT IS ALSO SUPER FUN. Why wouldn't they offer something like for players who would like to set up their own private match with their friends. Gw2 will be an e-sport, and things like this are MUST-HAVE. So all of you thnking this is a bad idea, stop whinig, and choose your own play style. Arenanet is kind enough to give us tons of variety, so you can really customise your gameplay. What's the big problem about this?

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Build one place for everyone and trolls will say "I hate it! It sux!". Build another place to offer more options and trolls will say "I hate it! They're splitting the playerbase!"

Brilliant!

Eat me!

Originally posted by thedarkess

If you don't like real competitive PvP then go play WvWvW, its open, its unbalanced, its chaos, and IT IS ALSO SUPER FUN. Why wouldn't they offer something like for players who would like to set up their own private match with their friends. Gw2 will be an e-sport, and things like this are MUST-HAVE. So all of you thnking this is a bad idea, stop whinig, and choose your own play style. Arenanet is kind enough to give us tons of variety, so you can really customise your gameplay. What's the big problem about this?

This just isn't the direction I want to see MMO's going, it's a personal stance and I'm entitled to take it, if you want to see my full gripe you can just look a few posts back.

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Unless it was BioWare doing it with swtor, right?

No, what does Bioware have to do with my post?