Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: PAX 2011 - Three Faction Persistent PVP Detailed

13»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

“This is the team’s answer to having everyone look however they want and creating mass hysteria on the battlefield in the process.”

Good to hear, I was amazed at how players wanting to look any way they wanted was outweighing good PvP balance when it came to outfits in Rift.

As long as the cash shop is vanity items only that’s fine, but MMO’s with a P2P element seem to always end up becoming cash cows, lets hope it don’t go that way.

-  -  -

Spelling!

“but the lit also drew enemies to us. It's sort of anise change of pace for mechanics to see light used as a form of aggro.”

“as great scenes for competitive fits

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by atziluth

History repeats itself and a company known for certain things good and bad tend to continue to do them.

History repeats itself, but there are also enough times that history took another course, that's when revolutions and changes happen. In fact, if there's one constant in life and history, then it's change image

In other words, we'll see how things will go with TSW. So far, the whole information reveal approach by Tornquist & co seems to be going differently from the atmosphere that was around AoC info reveals by Gaute & co.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

Well, look at that...anothergreat big pile of promises from Funcom. Maybe 2 years after launch half of these promised features will be in.

500 skills!!!!11!! Of course only 20 of them will be any good and sctually see any use amongst the player base.

Also, edit your articles. The spelling and grammar in this one is terrible. It's supposed to look professional, not like a random forum post.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

@Mercantor

Don't care about what Swtor or not has or will not have tbh.

This does not change nothing about TSW for me.

• Zang67Zang67 Member Posts: 1

Forced PVP again ? Nice .... great !

This is what got me away from Aion in the first place, forced PVP.

I have nothing against PVP, but why force peoples to have PVP ? :s

I'm interested in PVE mostly and interaction with the community, but not PVP.

I had big hope for this game, but now that i read this i kinda feel like not playing it anymore. Tired of getting killed while farming by a low life loser who has nothing else to do than farm low levels while they are farming or doing quests. Sweet ....

• Iolanthe_TSWIolanthe_TSW Member Posts: 3

What part of the PvP is forced? Everyone shares the benefits of the bonuses of the warzones, regardless of if they partispate or not.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957

Originally posted by Zang67

Forced PVP again ? Nice .... great !

This is what got me away from Aion in the first place, forced PVP.

I have nothing against PVP, but why force peoples to have PVP ? :s

I'm interested in PVE mostly and interaction with the community, but not PVP.

I had big hope for this game, but now that i read this i kinda feel like not playing it anymore. Tired of getting killed while farming by a low life loser who has nothing else to do than farm low levels while they are farming or doing quests. Sweet ....

There is no forced PVP! Where the heck did you read that?

There are instanced war maps and persistent PVP zones. That's it. The rest is PVE!

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

what's with the GW2 hate lol? u guys know TSW will crash and burn, right? it's Failcom.

• NervesNerves Member Posts: 7

Yes, the PvP is instanced.  In the specified zones, "The uniforms come on and the gloves come off".  In PvE there will be no player on player collision (there will be in PvP), and you can group up cross-faction for PvE goals.

As for the 'Can't trust Funcom' crowd.... I've taken this stance with ALL games and it's worked well for me.  No preorders, no signing up until I've heard reviews from late stage beta at least.  Let someone else take the risk, tyvm, I'll give money to studios that field a quality game I want to play.  That being said,  I have been watching this one closely.  I still won't be pre-ordering it until I've heard a  consensus from actual players.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by eluldor

Originally posted by lthompson94

Originally posted by SBE1

Can't believe anything about a Funcom game until it goes live.  

This ^^

Indeed.

Especially since a lot of this could be said of AOC, too - and they managed to make "three faction persistant world PvP" completely meaningless within the context of the rest of the game.  Hopefully, they've learned from their mistakes.  Hopefully TSW will be different.  I won't be entirely surprised if they haven't, and it isn't, though.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• EijiBayushiEijiBayushi Member Posts: 5

I'm not sure it's really as "anticipated" as they let on. There just isn't as much info on TSW as there is on other games. People want to find out out. That doesnt' mean they are antcipating playing it. Way to jump the shark. They might find out more and decide it sucks after all.

• BrodieBroosBrodieBroos Member Posts: 32
    Why is everyone getting nodded about the store? They are VANITY items. They are for looks. And most u can get in game anyways!
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Sounds a lot like the PvP they promised for AoC with hundred's of players but never deilvered or still bugged and laggy to the point of unplayable.

Let's hope they get it right this time around, it certainly could be great!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• saluksaluk Member Posts: 325

Well considering the 3 factions and pvp were planned for from the start, and a focus of the game, I think there is far less chance of dropping the ball on it than the guild stuff for conan.

Also, different design teams. This is tornquist's baby. That's one reason I still have hope. The description of the player dungeon, with great atmosphere, sounds neat.

I'm not happy with the MT business, but it's popping up in every game lately. There are definitely a lot of little things stacked against this game, that if they weren't there I would be frothing at the mouth. I mean, lovecraftian, consipracies, good atmosphere and story, modern, guns, skill-based rather than class based, work together in pve but fight in the undergrounds, and tornquist. But then, you know the rest, AoC launch, p2p+mt, lackluster looking combat, ARGs. None of that ought to be deal breaking on its own, but its cracks in the armor, cracks in the armor.

Cracks in some shiny shiny armor. Here's hoping :)

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by saluk

Well considering the 3 factions and pvp were planned for from the start, and a focus of the game, I think there is far less chance of dropping the ball on it than the guild stuff for conan.

Also, different design teams. This is tornquist's baby. That's one reason I still have hope. The description of the player dungeon, with great atmosphere, sounds neat.

I'm not happy with the MT business, but it's popping up in every game lately. There are definitely a lot of little things stacked against this game, that if they weren't there I would be frothing at the mouth. I mean, lovecraftian, consipracies, good atmosphere and story, modern, guns, skill-based rather than class based, work together in pve but fight in the undergrounds, and tornquist. But then, you know the rest, AoC launch, p2p+mt, lackluster looking combat, ARGs. None of that ought to be deal breaking on its own, but its cracks in the armor, cracks in the armor.

Cracks in some shiny shiny armor. Here's hoping :)

Very well said!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Game looks sweet, article really looks like you need more copy-editing than a simple spell checker.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by Mordred1

Originally posted by eluldor

Originally posted by lthompson94

This ^^

Indeed.

+1

+1

I will wait for planetside 2 for my 3 sided war. ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by atziluth

History repeats itself and a company known for certain things good and bad tend to continue to do them.

History repeats itself, but there are also enough times that history took another course, that's when revolutions and changes happen. In fact, if there's one constant in life and history, then it's change image

In other words, we'll see how things will go with TSW. So far, the whole information reveal approach by Tornquist & co seems to be going differently from the atmosphere that was around AoC info reveals by Gaute & co.

Yes, but 9 out of 10 revolutions happened not because of such idealistic things as better insight, wisdom or noble ideals, but because people were starving and at risk to die and there wasn't any other option anymore. Also 8 out of 10 revolutions ended in dictatorships and decades of mass executions.

As the old Romulan proverb goes: if there is a light at the end of the warptunnel, it is probably a quantum torpedo...

As to the topic: it all looks very cool, but alas there is fat chance Funcom manage to break every single good attempt. I guess time will tell.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TineaTinea Member UncommonPosts: 86

With open world PVP and battlegrounds, I hope that people don't hide themselves away in battlegrounds until max level like in WAR (because of population imbalance or because of rewards from battlegrounds).  Battlegrounds make the open world dead if PVP is the goal.  Yes, imbalanced population can make open world PVP less fun but there are ways to give underdogs bonuses.  This might be nostalgia talking, but I think that's why battlegrounds in DaoC worked, they were fun training sessions until you got to max level.  They didn't interfere with open world PVP and open world didn't interfere with the battlegrounds (at least when I played; and I know that DaoC had its issues, just comparing how battlegrounds / open world PVP worked there).

If battlegrounds and open world PVP co-exist, then better rewards should always be from the open world.  By the way, I always try to pick the underdog so I'm not just saying this because I think I'm going to go out and dominate the low poplation faction(s).  I'm not even that good at PVP.  I just know when I've enjoyed PVP the most, it's been open world battles in an MMORPG.

I'm not saying don't have battlegrounds, but if they exist then they should be there for fun and small rewards... but when the faction pride (and true rewards) are on the line, you should want to go open world.

I really want TSW to be a sleeper hit, but as a lot of you have said it's Funcom.  I'll cross my fingers, but my crossed fingers won't pre-order.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Why not just increase the sub price? I get it, they need more cash and the subprice for MMO's has remained the same for year after year when inflation has most certainly not been zero.

So, they need more money, I don't mind, charge 25 bucks a month I can afford it. But I don't want to be nicle and dimed to death. Take Lotro, everywhere that bloody shop logo shows up. Buy this, buy that. EVEN if I already got the item. Buy dyes? My scholar has stacks of them in my house open to all, take them PLEASE!

Frankly TSW is for me the big unknown. I loved the longest journey, didn't care for the 3D move in the sequel but still, TLJ is great. But TSW? They sure as hell haven't mentioned a lot about PvE which for all successfull MMO's is the bread and butter. AoC focussed a lot of PvP as well, what happened to it again? 

The combat so far seems silly, melee range automatic rifle? Running around? I have got the same sinking feeling when I see the combat as when I see SWTOR, they try to make it dynamic but all I see is SWG:NGE combat. Lets have your run about so you got the feeling things are dynamic but you are still hitting keys on a quickbar.

There are a LOT of big names coming up. GW2 SWTOR and TSW and all three so far to me seem to not have learned the lessons from previous MMO's. 

We shall see which survives, I can easily afford to play test them all but if I don't like them I will make that very clear, angry ex-players like me killed of games before. 

I don't Funcom can survive a third disaster.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

A dark and dirty modern DAoC...  I love it!

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by sfc1971

We shall see which survives, I can easily afford to play test them all but if I don't like them I will make that very clear, angry ex-players like me killed of games before. 

You're so self-important that i'm sure my screen just fogged over for a second.

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

I concur!

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."