Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: PAX 2011 - Three Faction Persistent PVP Detailed

Comments

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I'm not a child, I dont get "pocket money", I am in my 40's, I work very hard 40 hours a week in a managerial role, I have disposable income, as well as all the bills that a family with a mortgage and car bring. I have been playing MMO's since Ultima Online, I am good at MMO's and I have even worked briefly in the MMO industry.

And no, I dont like Cash shops on top of a subscription. I understand its a business, and what they need to pay for, but for me, asking for a subscription, THEN making the really cool items only available if you spend additional cash is tantamount to creating a class system within a system that should break down all class barriers. 

Overreacting? Maybe. But MMO's should be the great leveller, where no matter who you are or what you do in the real world, anyone can start with nothing and be a great hero with all the best gear if they want to be. Cash shops remove this entirely, and are a slippery slope into a place that alot of us dont want to be.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by SBE1

Can't believe anything about a Funcom game until it goes live.  

I agree with these a lot of games coming out so we must spent our money wisely and not for dissapointments.

I would spent blindly money for skyrim than for secret world even if it's a single player game.

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

My interest in this game just went way up :D

• audorinaudorin Member Posts: 11

I get it, the cash shop + sub is a little over the top for some. But for me? No. It just adds another dimension to the game and it is not like we are forced to use the cash shop is it..

The facebook game is going to be fun to follow :D

The Secret War 

C

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

I'll play this AND Guild Wars 2 if i can.. :D

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

I think its time someone invests in a "high end" mmo... one that costs 50$/month and has only one server... limited membership.

gone will be the whining of the competitive vs the casuals,

• RadshakRadshak Member UncommonPosts: 36

Sadly because of the blood and gore I will not be playing this title.  I wonder how many subs gaming companies are losing out on.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Looks good to me, where do I sign up image

I understand that Funcom past isn't the greatest and I am willing to take another chance into a game of theirs.

Especially something different than the norm we got going with all these dwarves and elves in the current mmo scene.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

sigh, if they are doing such persisent pvp, they really need to ramp up focus on better combat then -.-

right now all reports are showing tab targetting hotkey combat D:

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Sulaa

Double dipping Failcom greedy monsters. Really Box+Sub+Item shop is too much

I agree.  It's an awful business model, but F2P is worse.  I actually like the subscription model.  It's easy to understand the value of the game.

Trying to figure out many F2P models requires a spreadsheet and generally isn't worth it.  Do I need these items?  What if I dont get them?  Is the game playable in it's free state?  I looked at Global Agenda and it wasn't.  Neither was AoEO, but that's facebook meets an RTS and births the Penguin, which mght not be fair to MMOs.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

If the 3 faction, open world PvP interests you then you might want to take a look at Prime: Battle for Dominus.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by chbautist

I think its time someone invests in a "high end" mmo... one that costs 50$/month and has only one server... limited membership.

gone will be the whining of the competitive vs the casuals,

Anyone with the time to be competetive won't have the money to pay that. Most casuals are casual because they work/family. People that play all day aren't earning the cash for high monthly, in addition to the 20 games they play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by raykor
    If the 3 faction, open world PvP interests you then you might want to take a look at Prime: Battle for Dominus.
    that game is on my radar as well. it also has swg style harvesting which is pretty cool. but im loving TSW setting and skill system.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

This all sounds well but i doubt the pricing model.

Time will tell...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by Radshak

Sadly because of the blood and gore I will not be playing this title.  I wonder how many subs gaming companies are losing out on.

If it's anything like the blood and gore in AoC I think most people will be fine with it. Several of my friends mentioned that they were nervous about the brutality of the Conan world but the first time they got to decapitate someone in game they started loving it lol.

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Originally posted by eluldor

Originally posted by lthompson94

Originally posted by SBE1

Can't believe anything about a Funcom game until it goes live.  

This ^^

Indeed.

+1

• HaightHaight Member Posts: 7

"...exploring ways to offer vanity items for additional costs..." ***and*** "...the fact they’re keeping the real-money stuff to vanity items would be enough to make players comfortable with the idea."

Attn: Retards complaining like petulant, entitled, ignorant children about mitrotransaction purchases being available.

Read that quote from the article and try to re-think your stupidity.  With very, VERY, few exceptions every persistent-world game in the history of ever that has been F2P as opposed to subcription-based has been markedly inferior to its sub-based counterparts.

And who cares if some guy buys a vanity pet that you can't get in-game?  He can't use his Super-cute Chihuahua to do more damage than you!!!

Jesus Christ, people.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

exciting and interesting.

3 way pvp and the premise/setting of the game are enough to keep me watching, and even though i'm not really into MMO's atm, this one could probably convince me to try it out.

• Iolanthe_TSWIolanthe_TSW Member Posts: 3

1) When did "several months" become 1 month? This is regard to the statement about the Polaris walkthrough that was shown at the EA Showcase, that was a month ago. If they have had ANY time to tweak that since then till now, color me surprised.

2) This game will not have blood and gore in it. Ragnar was quoted as to vehmently stating this.

3) The Persistent PvP bit is awesome. I love to keep hearing more and more about this. I really hope its as successful and engaging as it sounds.

4) That storytelling mission sounds spectacular. If this is what TSW is going to give us, I really cannot wait.

5) We've known about the PvP uniforms for months. If not years.

6) The pricing model will concern some potintial players and some definate players and understandably so. Sub + retail box + CS is a little disconcerting, but it will be entirely vanity items. Remember, your clothing won't give you stats: it just makes you look awesome. There will be plenty of ways to gain cool clothing to where, if you want, you won't even need to look at the CS. As long as they stay to the model of no "pay2win" with this "pay2play" buisness model w/ the added cash shop, it will be completely fine.

7) Just give it some time. If you happen to get into beta - check it out and see if you like it for yourself.  I'm not saying FC hasn't had difficulties in the past with launches, but come on, different team and its bloody Ragnar at the helm. Creator of the amazing world of TLJ. :)

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Seriously people.

Here you have a serious game developer that has put in 12 years of pre-production and, at launch, 7 years of development and a AAA budget with the same staff size as BioWare's SW:ToR on a NICHE piece of artistic genius. Then they proceed to give us 3-faction PvP, a classless and levelless system with the DREAMWORLD 2.0 engine, investigation missions, mysteries, sabotage missions and action missions.

THIS above all, proves that, no matter what you do as a game developer - retards gonna hate.

Seriously guys.

Here you have a serious independent game developer who has spent 12 years of pre-production and, at launch, 7 years of development on a triple-A budget with the same staff size as BioWare's SW:ToR.

On a niche game. That's full of artistic genius. It has 3 faction open PvP, what millions have been waiting for for almost a decade in a new game. The most refreshingly unique setting to EVER come along. No levels, no classes - Investigation missions, ARGs, Sabotage missions, and a story that doesn't hold hands and assumes the player is an idiot.

All these things, and you manage to get upset about a vanity cash shop?

This game is launching next to SW:ToR, Guild Wars 2 and TERA - and although those games pale compared to TSW's man hours, you just know they'll fight for subs. FunCom NEEDS that extra income.

But I guess this proves that no matter what a game developer does - retards gonna hate. Always.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Game features have nothing to do with why many people are dissatisfied. This game could even clean people apartments but still with this business model it is just bad. Easy to fix - resign from item shop and anger dissapear like with touch of a magic wand.

Besides putting item shop infrastructure since day 1 don't really speak confidence tbh. Eventual transition P2P -> F2P could be done very easily , becasue all "tools" will be there from begggining. Not really encouraging to invest time & money into this game considering that.

You're making the critical flaw in assuming they are alone in this structure. The truth is, they're the only ones being honest and up-front about it. SW:ToR has a cash shop planned, but are hushing it.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Funcom also claims that neither AO or AOC has items in their respective cash shops that give a competative advantage... So if they so blatantly lie on that point why should anyone believe that the CS in TSW will be vanity items only?

Amazing what players will swallow just because a dev tells them something is true. Also just because other games do it does not make it right. It is a money grab and the more suckers buy into it, the more companies will come out using it in their games.

AO... Massive issues at launch and missing features promised by the devs that were not added until several months later.

AOC... Massive issues at launch and missing features promised by the devs that were not added until several months later.

TSW... More than likely massive issues at launch and will be missing features promised by the devs that will not be added until months later.

History repeats itself and a company known for certain things good and bad tend to continue to do them.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

engine still making for outdated pvp feeling you've done all before in DAOC,but now with a bit more eye candy, same old limiting engine.