Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: PAX 2011 - Three Faction Persistent PVP Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the biggest announcements coming out of last weekend's PAX Prime was Funcom's revelation of three faction PvP in The Secret World. In fact, it was exciting enough to win the MMORPG.com Most Anticipated Award. Managing Editor Bill Murphy has an inside look at persistent PvP. REad on and then offer us a few of your thoughts in the comments.

The Secret World presentation we were treated to at this year's PAX Prime began with a re-hash of the same dungeon experience we saw several months ago at EA's Summer Showcase. The Kingsmouth dungeon experience did look much further along though, with a newer UI, further improved visuals, and it seemed much smarter AI even though our demo folks from Funcom cheated (ah, to have the power of the devs). We saw the skill system in effect and were treated to a preview of the skill wheel itself (there really are 500 unique skills to gain). But it's what came after this recap that really caught our attention and showed us just why Funcom's next release deserves the "Most Anticipated" award we've given it.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Secret World: PAX 2011 - Three Faction Persistent PVP Detailed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ohhh dear.. Love to 3 faction PvP!!!

The Ultimate Breakdown

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Yep this game has lot going for it. This game is the reason why i am losing my interest in GW2 day by day.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

3 Faction World PvP. A dream come true!!

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Cash shop on top of subscription, even if "MOST" of the items are also available in game, turns me off the game automatically. I dont want to pay a sub, then be made to feel I should be spending yet more money on the game. If your advertisting or marketing department isnt good enough to get the amount of people playing you need to make a profit, you should fire them and get someone good. Not just stick in a cash shop.

Or make it free to play. 

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'm disappointed they are continuing down the sub plus cash shop (and inevitable paid expansion) road.  Not surprised, but somewhat disappointed.

I also do not like the association with Facebook.  It's a game I've been very interested in for years, but these developments definitely lower the appeal of the game for me.

The information on PvP does sound like a lot of fun, however.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• wahala99wahala99 Member UncommonPosts: 147

Well I gotta say this game looks interesting.  Hopefully the cash store will be like in wow where items are just for show .... not for go.  I have spent zero over my sub cost and do not feel at any sort of disadvantage in wow, or any pressure to buy stuff for cash (tho my sister has conned a few into buying her some stuff and even bought some herself.  Tho now she is playing rift ... go figure.

My only big worry is the hype machine.  (remember warhammer?)  I hate being disappointed and so am not gonna expect this game to be very cool.  I expect the stick figure annimation of all the Overhyped games (which turns me off ... i like the annimation to give the characters weight and inertia).  The 500 skill thing reminds me of eve ,,, we shall see.  However if they do a decent job with annimation and presentation, you are likely to see a Dragon character called Wahala stomping around the world, as I do love the "Idea and concept" of the secret world.

Come on funcom ... hit one out of the park for once :)

If Ya Ain't Dyin, Ya Ain't Tryin

• BrisaneBrisane Member Posts: 3

Sound just like whining. Of course they want to make a living too.

The game looks just great and I have been waiting for years, so I'll gladly pay when it get reviews like hey have. Anyhow, if you want to stay out - well, that is your loss!

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Can't believe anything about a Funcom game until it goes live.  

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Can't wait to play this.

One thing I like is how most of the self-entitled F2P scrubs won't be playing, thank god.

People getting upset at an item mall ontop of a sub?  Errrr, wrong, kids getting upset 'cause their allowance isn't that big.  What type of person does it take to say they won't play a game over such a matter?  Correct, people that we don't want in our game.  :)

Have fun with GW2 another Fantasy game.

Between this and D3 I won't need to play much else for a long time.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by SBE1

This ^^

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Double dipping Failcom greedy monsters. Really Box+Sub+Item shop is too much

• VenedVened Member UncommonPosts: 71

Nah, its just ok.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

I've been burned by Funcom too many times now. Still... looks great and that makes me kinda sad and confused.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I don't mind the monthly sub plus cosmetic cash shop items.  I'd rather pay 20 bucks a month and have everything included though.  I just hope Funcom doesn't fumble.  Take your time and do it right ...

No bitchers.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

cash shop is cool.

Not everybody has the time to grind all day, some of us work and have family. So we can just buy the stuff to be on same level with the others who play all day long. But we have the money to spend on cash shops.

Aoc has for example this +100% exp potions in cash shop. Good Thing. Hope something like that will be here too.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

This has me looking forward to TSW so much more.  I miss good 3 faction PvP, it has been a long time since I was in DaoC.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

How is this different than DAoC ?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Finally

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

This time i won't go into the "pre-order CE" crap that i fell for with AoC, which wasn't at all what it promised

AO was good when i started (started playing after notum wars)

But knowing failcoms rapsheet, i won't be fooled again, will wait for a trial.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Please for the love of all that is holy Funcom, don't eff this game up. Let em do their thing. Stay out of it. Hands off.

• MuffloMufflo Member Posts: 30

Oh GOD why do they have to get a monthly fee? D: 

I was hoping for them to try to do the same as GuildWars2 but no..

And that, is the main reason I probably won't keep on playing this game, cause I'm soon off to study at university and won't have the economy.

The sylvari ordered Rice n chicken in a bar. The waiter asked him: "exploded or intact?" He angrily answered: "Intact of course! Do you take me for a fool?"

Those were his last words.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

Looks absolutely insane, in a good way =) Buying this right away and THANK YOU Funcom for making Vanity items the only "purchasable" items, I have no problem with that.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

even if this game starts with monthly subs, sooner or later will end up F2P; 3 factions sound good, hopefully the game will have enough population and won't suffer from faction imbalance

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by lthompson94

Originally posted by SBE1

This ^^

Indeed.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

awesome!

and great!