Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Big Fights, Great Hair

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Welcome to the next installment of our continuing series, TERA Tuesdays. MMORPG.com has partnered with TERA devs and En Masse to bring you the best TERA screens on the Net. This week, we feature three screens that show players wildly leaping and swinging at their enemies while simultaneously maintaining their "do". Check them out in our TERA Tuesdays: Big Fights, Great Hair feature.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Textures are amazingly crisp. Wonder what the hardware requirements are to get this quality.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

I just can't respect the oversized weapons. I know it's stylization, but it's a style that I don't care for. Mainly because leaping through the air with a ten foot long, three hundred pount blade is just plain ridiculous. 

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I really dont understand how people get so worked up over art styles. as long as it's quality I could care less what style it is .. gameplay, mechanics and various other systems are way more important to me than the size of the swords.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but the screenshots really do look just like Aion (which means that they're gorgeous, by the way).  It will be interesting to see if TERA loses the war with Aion in the West like it did in the East considering both games will be targeting basically the same playerbase.  It's going to be interesting, for sure.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Don't care for Japanese/eastern art style.

At all.

• goouiegoouie Member Posts: 44

Reminds me of Bleach

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

You gotta have giant robots.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

It is really all about the badass factor. If you want to look like someone not worth messing with, then carrying a giant sword can certainly help with that impression. :)

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Graphics are gorgeous the combat is great but wait ..... he has a giant sword i wont play it  seriously get a grip

Originally posted by GosuRusha

Originally posted by WhySoShort

I just can't respect the oversized weapons. I know it's stylization, but it's a style that I don't care for. Mainly because leaping through the air with a ten foot long, three hundred pount blade is just plain ridiculous. 

{mod edit}

Ouch. Somebody took their grumpy pills this morning.  Realism IS an aspect of MMO's and some people want a more realistic and less cartoony appearence to their game.  Immersion is always a part of any MMO, and some people cannot feel immersed in a world with rediculous or cartoony elements in it. 

• MurahMurah Member UncommonPosts: 41

I must be jaded.  The art in those screenshots, while looking professional and well-done, isn't unique, special, or captivating.  When I go to gw2's site, I just drool.  When Aion came out, drool.

• MataOCDMataOCD Member Posts: 54

Awesome graphics!

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

lol i thin its funy guys talin abou realism and how big sword is unrealistic. Look at the world and monsters your fighting, do you see them on the street corner, or hacving a coffee at starbucks.? dont understand how you can say one thing about the swords but not i dont know, THE WHOLE F"IN game

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Looks more like L2 then Aion to me. And there is a dif in style. I hated the art style so much in Aion I didn't even finish my beta time.

Originally posted by Nivisiru

Looks more like L2 then Aion to me. And there is a dif in style. I hated the art style so much in Aion I didn't even finish my beta time.

I would agree with the L2 comparison.  All three games have a distincly Eastern look, which I personally love.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I could say the same thing about games like Fallen Earth and Rift (Rift not so much, but it aint always pretty) and other Western games. 

So yeah, it goes both ways bub (bubs...since theres more than 1 of you)...

Also, predjudicing a game by looking at 1 class? lol?

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

"Big Fights, Great Hair"   Love the article title!

Wicked screenshots.  I like the stylistic approach and don't see it detracting from immersion.  I'd much rather a stylistic art style than a realistic one that doesn't hit the mark for realism.  Uncanny Valley

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Gee what a shock the female character is wearing high heels.  Where's the bikini?  Some day people (male developers/art directors) might, just might consider that gear can be great looking and not look like a 'ho in the red light district.

Otherwise interesting visuals, definitely has the 'asian' anime feel, if it's like Aion, I'll wait until it's out to try it.  

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I cant wait to play.

Whats wrong with a female character wearing high heels?

I bet I could kick your butt while wearing high heels,

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

I don't really care for typical American art as the characters features have no personality.  Art that is too realistic like some rennaisance painting becomes to bland and gives the characters no personality. We're trying to ESCAPE reality. Not log onto it.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I love the art style of TERA. I think it is visually one of the most beautiful games that I have ever seen. I just wish they would hurry up and get this sucker playable in the USA. I want to see if it is as fun as it is beautiful. Enough already!

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Japanese art style will never yield a truly huge success in an MMO in the United States.  It won't happen.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by lectrocuda

I cant wait to play.

Whats wrong with a female character wearing high heels?

I bet I could kick your butt while wearing high heels,

why does it have to be a female character wearing high heels? 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Japanese art style will never yield a truly huge success in an MMO in the United States.  It won't happen.
    Considering that not even ten years ago, the majority of games we played in the US came from Japan, Id have to disagree.

American gamers are all caught up in middle aged men with a dark past and five o clock shadow FPS.

That trend wont last. Nothing does.

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

If the game is FTP it might be ok I guess, art work looks average to me - which is odd because I love anime - I just dont like my mmo's to be in anime-style.

/shrug looks wont break it for me but combined with poor world design or simillar it would be time to skip it.