Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Insert Hyperbole = Receive Attention

13»

Comments

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

The last patch before BC came out, the patch that started giving everyone free epics ..

Started to ruin wow...and from there whent down under

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Pocahinha

The last patch before BC came out, the patch that started giving everyone free epics ..

Started to ruin wow...and from there whent down under

• “Cata ruined WoW.”

• “Wrath ruined WoW.”

• “Welfare epics ruined WoW.”

• “LFD ruined the community in WoW.”

• “The new PvP maps ruined WoW.”

• “Blizzard ruined WoW.”

• “Trolls ruined WoW.”

• “Recycled content ruined WoW.”

• “Nostalgia ruined WoW.”

• “The balance team ruined WoW.”

• “The general population playing WoW ruined WoW.”

• “Other games copying WoW ruined Wow.”

• “Generic hyperbolic comment X ruined WoW.”

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by Kyleran

This article was unclear and bounced around several subjects, not really focusing on one single topic.

Is the author telling us people use Hyperbole when describing WOW sometimes? (but not all of the time?)

Is he upset with the drops and or artwork in WOW?

Or, is he just trying to receive attention like many of us here on MMORPG.com? 

I'll go with the last one.

I was'nt going to say but I'm so glad you did, I did'nt even bother reading the entire thing...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Scripture1

This article was unclear and bounced around several subjects, not really focusing on one single topic.

Is the author telling us people use Hyperbole when describing WOW sometimes? (but not all of the time?)

I was'nt going to say but I'm so glad you did, I did'nt even bother reading the entire thing...

Yeah, it was a mess. Not to mention somewhat hypocritical... I have seen staff users on MMORPG.com use hyperbole repeatedly. Seems weird to comment on.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Well, as was recently pointed out to me (rightfully so, I admit) by another columnist here (think it was Bill Murphy?) when I commented without having read the article, it's a little on the rude side to comment on an article's content and the intent of the article's writer without actually having read the article.

If you had read it, you might have had the answers to your questions. (Directed at Scripture1, since I presume Kyleran at least made a passing attempt to do so, unless his post is based off what others in the thread have said.)

His is the featured column, so in my opinion, it may be safe to say that "just trying to receive attention" is, at least in his case, not a viable option. The author - presumably a staff writer, which I am not and I don't think either of you are - has admitted that the article was a bit "schizophrenic" - something he's already apologized for and agreed to work on for next time.

There are authors on this site I don't especially care for, either. Rather than making an effort, they generally treat readers like something they stepped in. Those are the writers whose columns I generally avoid like the plague unless they say something so outrageous they deserve a digital slap. This writer has been incredibly gracious and polite, even to critics, on his first time out. Give the guy a chance because right now, he's done nothing to deserve you being arsehats to him.

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Nifa

Well, as was recently pointed out to me (rightfully so, I admit) by another columnist here (think it was Bill Murphy?) when I commented without having read the article, it's a little on the rude side to comment on an article's content and the intent of the article's writer without actually having read the article.

If you had read it, you might have had the answers to your questions. (Directed at Scripture1, since I presume Kyleran at least made a passing attempt to do so, unless his post is based off what others in the thread have said.)

His is the featured column, so in my opinion, it may be safe to say that "just trying to receive attention" is, at least in his case, not a viable option. The author - presumably a staff writer, which I am not and I don't think either of you are - has admitted that the article was a bit "schizophrenic" - something he's already apologized for and agreed to work on for next time.

There are authors on this site I don't especially care for, either. Rather than making an effort, they generally treat readers like something they stepped in. Those are the writers whose columns I generally avoid like the plague unless they say something so outrageous they deserve a digital slap. This writer has been incredibly gracious and polite, even to critics, on his first time out. Give the guy a chance because right now, he's done nothing to deserve you being arsehats to him.

<3<3<3

• JeneleaJenelea Member Posts: 22

I think the sarcasm in this post was lost on the lot of you.

• Tylerbrown13Tylerbrown13 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by Doozerglue

Joeseph,

While I don't play the game anymore, I have played it for many years with my children who are now 23, 21, 19, and 17.  There were many hours of fun that my kids and I had together, but that was the key.  Even in our own homes we'd have team speak up and we'd run dungeons or raid cities or towns looking for world pvp. Is it the most in depth game I've ever played? ... certainly not. I've played UO, DAoC, Eve, and now Perpetuum... However, I didn't let the WoW's simplicity stop me from having a good time.

Given your age, I'm not sure how much real world experience you're able to bring to the table. Here's a fact that you seem to be missing... it's just a game. If it's more than that, there are issues beyond artwork in a game that you need to address.  I am well past twice your age so, pardon me, but I think I'll give you a little advice.  Life moves forward at a pretty hefty clip, and I wouldn't waste my time playing a game I didn't like. World of Warcraft served it's purpose for me.  It was an easy game that I could play with my kids when I got home from work.  It was worth every penny in that respect.

Now that one son is a high school teacher, one working on his Masters in math, my daughter is a struggling student/musician, and my youngest son is getting ready to graduate high school, those days have passed.  I miss them.  I didn't enjoy the game because the game was great, but because I had the best guildies in the world. That's what made it fun. It was truly my Neverland.

I roll my eyes when I see posts like yours, because it's your fault your not having a good time, not the developers. 

Know this though, for many of us here at mmorpg.com gaming is our lives or at least a large chunk of it. We're 10 to 19 year old children, and we socialize, eat, sleep, etc, but after we do all of that, were usually stuck with about 6-12 hours of free time, depending on the day.  And so we game to fill that void of time. And because of that a lot of us play a lot of different games, and don't like any of them, and we blame the developers for not giving us a good single player game experience, I am not saying I am one of those people, but i can surely releate to them, because I am pretty damn close.

I get bored with new games, go back to old games, get angry about old games not being good, and can't find any new games. Then most people when in that scenerio go rage on a forum site, and that's who most of these people are. Even though I am sure you have a lot of life experience, you can't relate to most people on mmorpg sites.

I know you're just trying to help, but i just want to point that out before you start acusing people of being idiotic and having no life experience, your making assumptions based off of a single fact, witch can almost never be completely accurate.

From a 14 year old child.

Tbrown, Love me or die!

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Originally posted by Tylerbrown13

Joeseph,

While I don't play the game anymore, I have played it for many years with my children who are now 23, 21, 19, and 17.  There were many hours of fun that my kids and I had together, but that was the key.  Even in our own homes we'd have team speak up and we'd run dungeons or raid cities or towns looking for world pvp. Is it the most in depth game I've ever played? ... certainly not. I've played UO, DAoC, Eve, and now Perpetuum... However, I didn't let the WoW's simplicity stop me from having a good time.

Given your age, I'm not sure how much real world experience you're able to bring to the table. Here's a fact that you seem to be missing... it's just a game. If it's more than that, there are issues beyond artwork in a game that you need to address.  I am well past twice your age so, pardon me, but I think I'll give you a little advice.  Life moves forward at a pretty hefty clip, and I wouldn't waste my time playing a game I didn't like. World of Warcraft served it's purpose for me.  It was an easy game that I could play with my kids when I got home from work.  It was worth every penny in that respect.

Now that one son is a high school teacher, one working on his Masters in math, my daughter is a struggling student/musician, and my youngest son is getting ready to graduate high school, those days have passed.  I miss them.  I didn't enjoy the game because the game was great, but because I had the best guildies in the world. That's what made it fun. It was truly my Neverland.

I roll my eyes when I see posts like yours, because it's your fault your not having a good time, not the developers. 

Know this though, for many of us here at mmorpg.com gaming is our lives or at least a large chunk of it. We're 10 to 19 year old children, and we socialize, eat, sleep, etc, but after we do all of that, were usually stuck with about 6-12 hours of free time, depending on the day.  And so we game to fill that void of time. And because of that a lot of us play a lot of different games, and don't like any of them, and we blame the developers for not giving us a good single player game experience, I am not saying I am one of those people, but i can surely releate to them, because I am pretty damn close.

I get bored with new games, go back to old games, get angry about old games not being good, and can't find any new games. Then most people when in that scenerio go rage on a forum site, and that's who most of these people are. Even though I am sure you have a lot of life experience, you can't relate to most people on mmorpg sites.

I know you're just trying to help, but i just want to point that out before you start acusing people of being idiotic and having no life experience, your making assumptions based off of a single fact, witch can almost never be completely accurate.

and you sir won the common sense awards. congratulations (no sarcasm btw, you nailed it perfectly)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Tylerbrown13Tylerbrown13 Member UncommonPosts: 48

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Joeseph,

and you sir won the common sense awards. congratulations (no sarcasm btw, you nailed it perfectly)

Thank you :'), I am pretty damn proud of myself too!

Tbrown, Love me or die!

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Joeseph,

Nice write up man!  You made some very solid points, bravo! :D

I haven't thought about it like that though, its been some time since I've bene fourteen, i do remember having significant'y more time to waste back then, so in retrospect, perhaps this all makes sense...

I'll stick to my fancy smancy literary terms explaination though! :P

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

Ever see those nature films of baby birds in a nest getting fed by the parental unit.......These forums are nothing but a bunch of baby birds jockeying for a worm.  The nastiness in forums is nothing but your fellow nestmates, who by the way ALL have an agenda.....I have some gaming friends who I know bad mouth games just to keep people in game....They are little power freaks who are afraid of change.....I've watched them repeatedly go into new games with nothing but an agenda of trashing it for no other reason than to get the group to drop it and come back to the game they like......Everyone has an agenda....My agenda is to get you to recognize theirs then go play whatever game makes you happy.......Be your own leader, not follower.....

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 920

Some one on the internet presented their opinion as an absolute fact, say it aint so sam, say it aint so.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Heh heh, well hyperbole rules many forums, especially gaming ones. I can't believe sometimes how upset people get about games and then they spout x meme, cliché, or however you want to put it, to the point that it gets old. Then other people pull out the 'beating a dead horse' comment. After browsing gaming forums for 10 years, they're pretty much all the same and I see the same cycles over and over again.

Is it just to get attention for the poster? I think it's also to vent off steam while getting enough attention to find out if someone agrees with you and you feel justified in feeling the way you do. Perhaps forum warriors feel so insecure about themselves they need that sort of support? And then there is the really strange variety that want only negative attention from other forum users and they will continuously spam on threads dealing with a game they profess to hate, and that sometimes for years and years. I can think of several cases on a different board...

WoW is a really average game in many ways. People might hate on it but that's because it's the most popular game so it's inevitable that will be the most talked about. It underwent some major changes too recently, which is also why it's getting a lot of attention. I think the next possible red-headed step child of the industry will be ToR if it's slated to be as big as they all say. So do people unjustly target WoW? Nah, that's the way it goes. To use an analogy, Lady Gaga is really popular right now and she attracts tons of negative attention. Or how the few good politicians can still get bad attention.

The real hate spew is not against WoW though, it's against SOE. You could have written about it and it would be even more relevant, taking into consideration those players who have boycotted SOE for years and yet still persist on coming onto the forums of SOE games and spouting hate and trying to ruin things for the fans of their games. SOE have done some crappy things in the past for sure, but they're definitely not the only ones nor the worst. From my personal experience that would be EA and how it's destroyed so many gaming companies that were good (Bullfrog, Mythic, Origin Studios, etc.). Many others have had shoddy practices too: Funcom, Cryptic, CCP, .....

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.