Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Best of PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by Nazgol

Originally posted by made9

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

Says who? Adding >>>>> does not make it fact and is a matter of opinion.

I haven't played neither of them. But I'd be willing to bed GW2 PvP will be better than TOR, you see, this is one of the main focus of the game, the fact that it is skill based in battlegrounds, instead of having gear for PvP and PvE set appart is enuff reason to put it on top of TOR's pvp

SWTORs PvP is not "gear based".  You can wear your PvE gear for PvP, in comparison to the top PvP gear, they only receive a 10% increase in stats associated to PvP.  PvP is based around class builds and team tactics in SWTOR.  

like I said on some other thread, if they put no PvP stat in the gear, and completely separate PvP from PvE, while giving better gear for PvE, they are completely shi*ing on any PvP playerbase they might have had.

Im not gettin into more detail on this matter, should be pretty obvious why

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

I am a fan of both games and the destructable environment using a trebuchett is very cool but I think the Open World announcenent/ RVR planet and the sheer fun of what we saw in the Warzones for TOR made it a better showing for PVP. My opinion but I think ya got it backwards.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

I haven't played neither of them. But I'd be willing to bed GW2 PvP will be better than TOR, you see, this is one of the main focus of the game, the fact that it is skill based in battlegrounds, instead of having gear for PvP and PvE set appart is enuff reason to put it on top of TOR's pvp

This is your opinion, as I have no interest in GW2  therefore for me GW2 pvp <<<<< Swtor pvp.

In Bioware we trust!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

SWTORs PvP is not "gear based".  You can wear your PvE gear for PvP, in comparison to the top PvP gear, they only receive a 10% increase in stats associated to PvP.  PvP is based around class builds and team tactics in SWTOR.  

like I said on some other thread, if they put no PvP stat in the gear, and completely separate PvP from PvE, while giving better gear for PvE, they are completely shi*ing on any PvP playerbase they might have had

Not really.  Just because you add an incentive doesn't mean people have to have it.  Consider a game like Global Agenda.  You can work your ass off for tokens so you can buy OC gear,  but in most cases, you really only get a 5% increase.  Is it worth it?  To some people, yes,  to others, no.     The look of the PvP gear will be more enticing than the stat increase.  

Originally posted by dougmysticey

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

I am a fan of both games and the destructable environment using a trebuchett is very cool but I think the Open World announcenent/ RVR planet and the sheer fun of what we saw in the Warzones for TOR made it a better showing for PVP. My opinion but I think ya got it backwards.

heh I support your opinion, I am not against it :)

In Bioware we trust!

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

And let the childish 'my game is better than yours' arguments begin (wait it already started). Which game is better for 'you' is subjective and you can't disaprove an opinion unless someone is trying to twist facts and spread wrong information. So trying to argue which MMO has better PVP is waste of time since you can't expect everyone to enjoy GW2 PVP or SWTOR PVP. People will choose what they like and stick with it.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Swtor's pvp clearly > GW2 pvp for me.

For the sole reason of being able to actually DO pvp out in the open world. GW2 might have great, tripple faction WvWvW as an alternative, but it will still be "pvp in a can" and people won't experience the thrills of player induced danger out in the open world like on a pvp server. Needless to say this is my personal opinion.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I actually thought Pax Prime 2011 was pretty disappointing. I wasn't really impressed with either GW2 or TOR pvp. I thought both looked pretty boring. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

GW2 PvP sounds a little more FRESH to me.  SWTOR sounds very WoWesque other than the space battles on rails (which I'm not even sure have anything to do with PvP...I don't think it does, actually).  SWTOR PvP sounds very bland to me and "already done before."  I don't know.  Hard to judge things that aren't even released and haven't been fully played yet.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

GW2 might very well have better PVP.  But, the rewards are based soley on what was shown as PAX.  People are making too big of a deal out of this. 

For me, I am glad that SWOTR apparently actually ahs decent PVP.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

Should have been more clear. I was supporting your supporting suppport of SWTOR PVP over GW2. I was really responding to made9.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Obviously Games could only win ar one cattegory, or guildwars2 would have dominated all other cattegories too.....

But tghen thats my opinion, Innovation, Combat, PvP, Cocept and espescially most anticipated would have GW2 leading, but then since they won the big prize.......

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EijiBayushiEijiBayushi Member Posts: 5

lol at SWTOR beating GW2 for PvP.

• protomunkprotomunk Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by DarkPony

For the sole reason of being able to actually DO pvp out in the open world. GW2 might have great, tripple faction WvWvW as an alternative, but it will still be "pvp in a can" and people won't experience the thrills of player induced danger out in the open world like on a pvp server. Needless to say this is my personal opinion.

TOR pvp is no more open than proposed WvW pvp. You do realise that TOR rvr is centered on a different world than the rest of the game ( aka instance). This may seem more immersive to you but is the same thing as saying guildwars 2 has large open rvr taking place in the mists.

GW2 PVP >>>> SWTOR PVP  

simple

Should have been more clear. I was supporting your supporting suppport of SWTOR PVP over GW2. I was really responding to made9.

That is very supportive of you.

In Bioware we trust!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by protomunk

TOR pvp is no more open than proposed WvW pvp. You do realise that TOR rvr is centered on a different world than the rest of the game ( aka instance). This may seem more immersive to you but is the same thing as saying guildwars 2 has large open rvr taking place in the mists.

No, it isn't.  The contested worlds are apart from the regular questing worlds,  but you can PvP on any worlds that have both factions present.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

when it comes to pvp, TOR isnt even in the same category as GW2. its combat based on a WoW-esque static, turn-based mechanic. they really cant be compared.

as it stands, TOR's pvp is still no different from WoW's. the "open world" pvp is pretty much identical to Wintergrasp and contested zone  engagements.

WvWvW zone will be huge...it's a whole other world map essentially.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

Originally posted by sonoggi

when it comes to pvp, TOR isnt even in the same category as GW2. its combat based on a WoW-esque static, turn-based mechanic. they really cant be compared.

I think we better wait till game launch before drawing conclusions.  Too many of us pretend to be armchair experts.  We need no more crystal ball readers.

From my understanding of it, this is not the case. There are zones in some of the contested worlds that are for open world pvp.  You walk into that zone, and you are flagged. Illum will be like the Mysts in GW2.

In Bioware we trust!

as it stands, TOR's pvp is still no different from WoW's. the "open world" pvp is pretty much identical to Wintergrasp and contested zone  engagements.

Isn't GW2 the same hotkey mechanics as well, unless they do not have global cooldowns for abilities, then it is basically turn based.

In Bioware we trust!

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Oh look more pre-launch awards that don't mean shit...

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

Originally posted by LisXia

I think we better wait till game launch before drawing conclusions.  Too many of us pretend to be armchair experts.  We need no more crystal ball readers.

playing a game centres around your imagination anyways. there isnt much to the experiential aspect of gaming...once you see it being played, you're well equipped to draw any personal conclusions and opinions you want. it's a fact that TOR's pvp is slow, turn-based, and you pretty much sit in one spot clicking abilities as youre getting whacked. it looks like a comedic circus show.

now even IF the world pvp mini-games are done to perfection, is it really that fun taking part in such a lame combat experience?

• protomunkprotomunk Member Posts: 30

No, it isn't.  The contested worlds are apart from the regular questing worlds,  but you can PvP on any worlds that have both factions present.

I guess you're right. A more correct statement would be that TORs pvp is mainly instance focused similarly to gw2.

The pvp on questing worlds seems to be pretty similar to what wow or rift have and is something possible in the world but not a focus of such world. (i.e. you can pvp in contested areas in wow but there's no point)

Also, these awards mean nothing more than to serve as an added hype meter to pax. All games will be judged following their launches.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

From my understanding of it, this is not the case. There are zones in some of the contested worlds that are for open world pvp.  You walk into that zone, and you are flagged. Illum will be like the Mysts in GW2.

No you will be able to enter instanced fight in WvWvW where up to 500 people from 3 different servers will be fighting for pride of their own servers... 

And no SWTOR certanly doesn't have better pvp than GW2, neither does Wildstar deserve to be the most inovative since GW2 is the mmorpg which is supposed to bring something new in the genre... Whoever gave this awards didn't do his homework right.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Isn't GW2 the same hotkey mechanics as well, unless they do not have global cooldowns for abilities, then it is basically turn based.

GW2 is kinda of an hybrid between both action and keybind.

I can click my main sword attack and the weapon will swing with target or not, if my weapon swing on my main focus target hits him, and he has someone that is standing on the weapon cleave, it will hit him aswell.

Or if you try and shot an arrow at someone and there is someone in the LoS of that person, that someone will get hit instead.

Stuff like that

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."