Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see this game succeeding? Honest opinion and no trolling please. *poll*

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I chose "Impossible to say at this time", though my personal opinion is that it has a chance to succeed based on its license and the fame of its developer and very little of that success is going to be due to the game introducing anything radically new.  Initial sales should be impressive.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

It will definitely have a dedicated, active fanbase. Whether it will be a good MMO is another matter.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• gamer1982o39gamer1982o39 Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by Guileplayer

The title pretty much explains what this topic is about. I think so far the game looks good. And might surprise the "haters." But i myself chosing option no.3 because, i can't really pass a valid comment until i have played the game. I try not to judge games by videos.

I see this game closing eventually.

I want to own property too

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Honest answer.  Short term : yes, long term : no.  But then it depends what you mean by success.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The game will be a success their is no doubt about that whatsoever. How long it last may debateable but there again is not reason it won't have an ammount of longevity. Not seeing a lot of negatives below and as far as a Storyline/Factional/PvE based game goes it is looking great.

As far as I can see:

Financially ... Yes -

Gameplay Wise .... Yes - because this is where they have focused a little more enjoyment before reahing max level

Longevity .... Maybe -  6-12 month of gameplay after that not too sure...

PvE .... Yes - overwelmingley

Factional ..... Yes

PvP .... Maybe , But with elements such as Hutball and open PvP areas on certain planets a could be....

Tradeskills .... Yes, This looks very interesting and I know for one ahving co0mpanions deliver presents every time you log on ads a lot to the game

Companions .... Yes, Add variety can't see a downside

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is only the worlds msot known IP ,did this question really need to be asked?

If you wanted a better discussion topic,maybe ask how long it will succeed and what kind of numbers describes it as being successful?IMo the release will be a much better one than almost every debacle i have seen released lately.The only games i did not see Que ue's for lack of servers were FFXI/Eq2 and believe it or notVanguard,even as bad as FFXIV was/is,at least you got into the game ,when you wanted to play.

I will give my "opinion".it will 100% succeed,it will not have even half the numbers of Wow,and it will slowly decline month after month,maybe only a rise in month 2.Will it turn a profit?I would say a known IP is a can't miss for profit,that's why they made this game.

My definition of a game "succeeding",is totally different than just subscription numbers.IMO a game MUST succeed at holding value to the customer,not for one year but several,i think 5 years is a good number.If this game is fun for 3 months,then becomes boring it will not be successful in my books.This is NOT a single player game,MMO's SHOULD be about longevity.

A perfect example of a few games succeeding UT99,12 years old and i still play it.FFXI/EQ2/Wow all games still making a profit and still giving their player base value.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by gamer1982o39

The title pretty much explains what this topic is about. I think so far the game looks good. And might surprise the "haters." But i myself chosing option no.3 because, i can't really pass a valid comment until i have played the game. I try not to judge games by videos.

All games close eventually.

Originally posted by Supersoups

I don't see that, just this one.

Oh really considering games like Vanguard, EQ, Anarchy online are still up and running? i fail to see any logical reasons behind the reason why SWTOR will close down. And if you mean after 6 or 7 years well that is one hell of a run.

Oh really considering games like Vanguard, EQ, Anarchy online are still up and running? i fail to see any logical reasons behind the reason why SWTOR will close down. And if you mean after 6 or 7 years well that is one hell of a run.

sounds like a foggy crystal ball

I thought i was guessing  considering you are very ambiguous here. it will 'close down eventually' no shit sherlock. 

I thought i was guessing  considering you are very ambiguous here. it will 'close down eventually' no shit sherlock. 

/thread

• Honestly I think this game is gonna turn out alot like Warhammer.  Much like Warhammer is has some nice features and various cool stuff.

But I just don't see aby of  it really making the difference.  Granted WAR had some serious issues.  Performance was a problem and they ever really followed through on the design of major features, mainly the PvP campaign was half designed.

And I expect that Bioware will do a better job there.  But I suspect that things like the PvP they are planning and the PvE game will be half baked just like everyone else who does a WoW clone and there will be no ral differencee.  There might be some extra nice stuff but many people will petere out quickly.

I just don't think BW even really gets PvP frankly, at least not from an overall design standpoint.  If they did they would not be doing class design they way they are.  Might sound like backward reasong, but I think they are actually too good to do it that way if they truly understood the issues.

PvP will be tacked on and End game will be the same old raiding crap.  Crafting will be the same old shell game.  Do the story and out.

Perhaps the Star Wars name alone will keep it going, but somehow I dobt it.  The decline after month 3 will be severe.  They are gonna sell an ass ton of boxes though.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

I have in good faith this game will do well.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Kyleran

It will sell more than any other MMORPG title since WOW.....whether it will dethrone the champ remains to be seen.

Kyleran, do you think the 3,000,000 esitmate is high/low or right on?

I still think 2 million +/- 1/2 a million in the first year.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Darlok66

And as far as the openworld PvP hype.... well there is a reason why certain MMOs dropped their open world PvP and and why newer MMOs don't have it.  Those game that do have it have small communities.  Especially if it's faction based, just look at WoW server stats to illustate the imbalance it will bring.

Sounds contrary to the reality of the past to me: most MMO's have had open world PvP throughout the past, including as good as all the major ones.

SWTOR will be a successful game, starting very strong at first but subs will erode away over time as other titles get released but will maintain a sizeable sub pool.  From the look of things there will be no dethroning of WoW and a "New King of MMOs" but more variety and more spread-out populations.

It'll be no new king but an oligarchy, as things should be image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Darlok66

SWTOR will be successful, not phenominal successful like the fans are proclaiming it to be but more successful than Rift but not as successful as WoW. 

I think it's the same old formula being used here with only the personal stories being the only difference which is nice but not something all the cracked up to be.  Good solo material but not an gamebreaking mechanic, after a while I feel it'll lose it's appeal and this is an MMO( key word here Massively M-U-L-T-I-P-L-A-Y-E-R ) not a SPO (Single Player Online). 

And as far as the openworld PvP hype.... well there is a reason why certain MMOs dropped their open world PvP and and why newer MMOs don't have it.  Those game that do have it have small communities.  Especially if it's faction based, just look at WoW server stats to illustate the imbalance it will bring.

SWTOR will be a successful game, starting very strong at first but subs will erode away over time as other titles get released but will maintain a sizeable sub pool.  From the look of things there will be no dethroning of WoW and a "New King of MMOs" but more variety and more spread-out populations.

This is the biggest myth thrown around by the SWTOR haters:  That this will be more of a single player online game.  Anyone who has spent any amount of time researching the game understands that it's a true MMO in every sense of the word.  

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I voted the 3rd option simply because the question is so non-specific it can be taken to mean anything. Succeding for whom? Based on what criteria? Without being more specific about what you mean, it's tough even to offer a wild guess.

Originally posted by Biggus99

This is the biggest myth thrown around by the SWTOR haters:  That this will be more of a single player online game.  Anyone who has spent any amount of time researching the game understands that it's a true MMO in every sense of the word.  

Agreed. SWTOR is a fully fledged MMO, everyone should be able to see that who has a few years experience with MMORPG's.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I probably won't even play this game but because this is a multi-million dollar game for one of the biggest franchises in fantasy/scifi history there is no way it can fail. I mean look at how bad FFXIV was and just because its a final fantasy game people are still desperately trying to play it.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

I am quite shocked at the results so far. Pretty huge amount of people can see this game succeeding. I think alot of people, even the ones who don't like the game or are jaded by MMOs in this community know that the reality is that the game will be successful. Nothing so far has indicated otherwise.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

With open pvp and region control this game is winx5 for me.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Short Version:   I raise my crystal ball forecast from 3 months to 4 to 5.

Long Version:

even to this day i still question SWTORS longevity which to me is part of its formula to be successful.

the "200 hours of gameplay" will be tossed around til the cows come home, some will play straight through and cry due to hitting end game with in a week, thats also counting on them not trying out other parts of the game that contributes to the x amount of hours played...ya,  lulz.

anyway the recent news from both gamescon and pax prime have lifted some of my concern which i reflect on the things i have heard

operations: with 4/5 bosses/events to go through along with a toggle difficulty for casuals trying their hand in raiding and the hardcore wow vets that'll more likely pull out a play book from the legion of bosses that they faced in their previous game and go with that to finish the operation off within a month or 2 at max.

add the incentive to raiders in general for participate, they would at least get something out of it instead of nothing, a token and possible some form of item if they dont get the epic loot itself. this promotes non raiders to participate, and lessens the fustration of usual ailments of raiding (alt whores, guild leaders girlfriend, ninjas etc.) 

Pvp: This was something i was looking at greatly, unfortunately im still not completely convinced, but i am confident that they are in the right direction and not tossing PVP in as a senior citizens fart equilivant of a afterthought. Warzones for the arena types,  Huttball being the most thought driven, wishful thinking of ideas of a possible league, teams and a spectator mode to watch the carnage while rooting for your favorite player (sorry biowares good, but bioware's not THAT good. but we'll see)

And of most recently OpenWorld pvp w/ Objectives, More over a PVP planet (one of them at least). one cant help but think how much influence of Mythic will be put into it, if it all any of the team is indeed giving a hand.

crafting: I am now a believer that crafters live and die by their profession and if the system is strong enough, they will be there until the lights turn off. Crew skill crafting work flow with the addition of  Mod installing definitely sounds interesting on paper, to see it in game i am anxious to see for myself.

I can say with enough confidence that SWTOR will keep the majority bulk of their subs for at least 4 to 5 months barring their launch kicks ass and takes names. Their will indeed be guilds not only from the raider worlds of Wow, Rift and LOTR but also the pvp realms of WAR,Aion and AOC (ya, im serious, i said aoc), not to mention the Crafting and RP groups from SWG that will test the waters, not like they have much of a choice unless they go (edit). 

Anyway, even if SWTOR made 3 million subs and they lose 1 million to keep 2 million, it will be called a flop because people on the interweb said so. 

Originally posted by Beanpuie

Pvp: This was something i was looking at greatly, unfortunately im still not completely convinced, but i am confident that they are in the right direction and not tossing PVP in as a senior citizens fart equilivant of a afterthought. Warzones for the arena types,  Huttball being the most thought driven, wishful thinking of ideas of a possible league, teams and a spectator mode to watch the carnage while rooting for your favorite player (sorry biowares good, but bioware's not THAT good. but we'll see)

I did find myself enjoying watching the Huttball gameplay as if it was some sports game, it reminded me kind of how in GW you could watch the top games going in spectator morde. Would be interesting if they could have something like that in SWTOR, especially if you do it like in the cantina on big screens, would make social hubs even more social.

Anyway, even if SWTOR made 3 million subs and they lose 1 million to keep 2 million, it will be called a flop because people on the interweb said so. 

I think you hit the point right there. Even regarding WoW, people have been clamoring for years that it was in heavy decline and failing in subs, when in reality WoW was stable and even grew somewhat in sub numbers. And this was about the most successful MMO around.

So I have no doubt that whatever the outcome, there'll be people who will clamor out loud that SWTOR was a fail.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

Likely to have a great launch and drop off greatly past the first month. Why? People lose interest for whatever reason and return to the MMO they came from.

Also to those saying this should/will dethrone wow. Think for a moment of what you are saying. You are saying you want a new premium standard for MMOs; A new standard that is slightly upgraded from before. That’s consumer treason and you should be ashamed of yourselves for letting faboyism get he best of you like that.  You are saying you hope this game a game exactly like WoW in most ways should take its place. Had you said it for a better MMO i might let it slide but c'mon. This taking the throne would be the equivalent of the despot putting on a mask.

WoWs already going down on its own so let the throne lay empty. Let the good ideas roll free of a template that publishers can rip off and order developers to make.

Your hope may not do anything but it says what you want; and thats what worries me.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.