Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see this game succeeding? Honest opinion and no trolling please. *poll*

Comments

• katasteelkatasteel Member UncommonPosts: 30

Well Everquest is still around, so if by succeding you mean "will still be around in 10 years" then yeah.

I won't play it, I don't think it will be as great as people are making it out to be either, but it should still be around.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

1) Tor will sell a shit ton of boxes.

2) Tor might bleed subs in the long run.

3) Will Tor be a success...yes.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• frogtownfrogtown Member UncommonPosts: 59

Depends on what your definition of success is. I think the game will have a decent playerbase and will be around for a few years.

Will it be the MMO that ends all other MMO's... no.

As long as it is making money for the people who made the game I would consider it a success.

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

What a question.. Will it be successful... Man, it will be HUGE. Basically everything that has 'Star Wars' on it sells. Example: just stamp it on toilet paper and poof sales go through the roof.

I've preordered the CE and am sure that I'm gonna sink many, many hours in this game

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

commercially? hell yea

fulfilling bioware's hype? nope, no way.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Absolutely! It is going to be a huge success.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

I predict In subs it will be the #2 MMO by Feb 2012......Possibly #1.

TOR will also flatten GW2

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by fony

commercially? hell yea

You don't think it will be a standard MMo, with an added layer of story, that changes the way questing is handled in MMO's?

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Bioware and ea has stated that 500k subs makes this game profitible it will do as well if not better then rift which has 1 mil subs still last i knew. 

So this game will be a success by bioware standars as well. They dont expect 11 mil subs . NO one does thats a once in a lifetime phenomenom. 

That said i dont see why so many people are convinced a game with over 200 hrs of gameplay in class story alone per class isnt gonna keep players. 

Most players i know wanna play multiple classes. So thats more hrs of class story multiplied throw in dungeons and pvp and other stuff as u level to max level and biowares story and this game will keep more then some think

It may not be revoloutinary in combat or ui but its story elements wil hook and keep more players then those saying it will only keep 300- 400k subs think.

Ive read enough reviews that state u cant underestiimate the power of bioware's story its a huge diffrence in gameing and makes them long for when tor comes out so they can quit the mmo they have played up to now. 

So dont underestimate the story aspects in this game and what it brings to the genre with the full voiced vo and the companions and the choices that affect your character. Those things alone will keep more playersw playing and re rolling alts then any of those who think bioware will bleed subs is giveing them credit for.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

No

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

obvious question is obvious:

whay do you mean by "succeeding"?

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

Originally posted by Troneas

obvious question is obvious:

whay do you mean by "succeeding"?

From a financial point of view, I've run some #'s using a 20% IRR requirement (using the estimated $100mm development cost spread over 5 years), a 35% tax rate and assuming they can retain 85% of the players who buy the box in year 1 and 70% of players a year after that, and that gross margins on revenues are 80% initially and move up to 95% rather quickly as player and development support dwindles over the years.  I estimate that the company needs to sell roughly 750,000 boxes and have 635,000 subs in year 1, sell about 10,000 more boxes in year 2 and 2000 more in year 3 in order to hit their hurdle rate of 20% return over the next 10 years.   Anything short of 700,000 box sales and 75% player retention, and this game will fail to deliver the required returns from a financial point of view.

I should mention that I worked on wall street and am very familiar with these financial calculations, I'm not some random dude spewing #'s out his butt.  Feel free to flame, but I assure you that my understanding of finance and accounting exceeds yours.

All that said, I think they'll probably sell more than 750,000 boxes (probably sell twice as many), but I have serious doubts about player retention assumptions given that this game is very story based. 

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Distopia

commercially? hell yea

You don't think it will be a standard MMo, with an added layer of story, that changes the way questing is handled in MMO's?

No.

I think the way Bioware is handling story is nice - it's better... but not THAT much better - and probably not anywhere near worth the effort Bioware has put into it.

I would've preferred Bioware put more effort into making a complete game than just having every Tom, Dick and Harry questgiver have 5 minutes of dialogue before they tell me to do the same thing questgivers do in every MMO.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by fadis

I would've preferred Bioware put more effort into making a complete game than just having every Tom, Dick and Harry questgiver have 5 minutes of dialogue before they tell me to do the same thing questgivers do in every MMO.

I don't know how informed you are or not, but SWTOR is as complete a game as games like WoW, LotrO and so on were.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

i think it's too early to tell considering it's not out yet, The numbers so far look good and what i've heard from beta players is on the positive side. My interest will be in what the new games like this one will cause players of  future and existing other games

devs to have to follow as standard features. For example, Rift: random/community events...aoe looting, SWTOR: npc gathering for crafts, Torchlight II: npc to town to sell unwanted items, GW2: changing homelands/housing according to life events of player characters.

How will games like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings etc survive without these features seen in other games that will one day become standard features rather then new ones?

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

I don't know how informed you are or not, but SWTOR is as complete a game as games like WoW, LotrO and so on were.

Maybe "complete" isn't the right word.

Instead, I'll go with "better."

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I am on the fence really. I won't be playing, as I have never particularly liked SW universe (sorry :) ).

As far as I have seen from the footage relased, I think it will perform like Rift. A lot of atention in the early stages, and little after a few months.

Originally posted by itgrowls

i think it's too early to tell considering it's not out yet, The numbers so far look good and what i've heard from beta players is on the positive side. My interest will be in what the new games like this one will cause players of  future and existing other games

devs to have to follow as standard features. For example, Rift: random/community events...aoe looting, SWTOR: npc gathering for crafts, Torchlight II: npc to town to sell unwanted items, GW2: changing homelands/housing according to life events of player characters.

How will games like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings etc survive without these features seen in other games that will one day become standard features rather then new ones?

A little off-topic, but something I talk about with friends.

I think there is a difference between quality features and quality gameplay.

For instance - I'd consider a lot of features like AOE looting, greater appearance customization, NPCs selling loot in towns, etc.  to be nice things.  The better ones will probably be adopted by future games - but I don't consider any of them essential to keeping an audience.

On the other hand - RIFT's dymanic events (or pseudo-dynamic, depending on how you look at it) with the rifts spawning, the npcs marching around attacking things.  THAT feels like an innovation in gameplay - maybe not the biggest one you could ever imagine... but certainly a few steps beyond "rare boss spawn" and more than some of the stuff some MMOs have with npcs of various factions "fighting" each other in certain zones.

So for the stuff I call features... despite the outcry you'll see on forums about them.... I don't think they really matter all that much - especially individually.

For the gameplay innovations... I do think that games lacking these will begin to appear more and more obsolete - even if they are chock full of the latest features.

Bioware thinks their approach to story is an innovation.  I think it is more of a feature.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Bioware thinks their approach to story is an innovation.  I think it is more of a feature.

I think this completely depends on how important someone considers questing to their gaming enjoyment.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I'm not going to even buy this game and I say it will do great.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I want to see it suceed, but when I see EA is involved I'm not getting my hopes up much...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146

I am hoping it does well, Not sure if I will be playing it yet but the more choices we hvae game wise is a good thing.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

Honestly, I don't know how this could not be a success. Even the first 3 episodes were a success, and they were pretty bad overall. It's Star Wars. That's like a golden ticket. No matter what state it's in, you'll have a dedicated [huge] Star Wars fanbase determined to enjoy it for what it is.

As far as it being a success outside of Star Wars fans, I don't know. It's going to have it's negatives as with all things, and I think the hype is already setting it up for failure for a lot of people. I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm looking forward to it, but might not play past the first month if it doesn't compete with my enjoyment of Aion. Nothing else is competing with it right now, so SWTOR needs to be one hell of a fun, engaging MMO to win me over in the long term.

I'll be happier if I can get in to the beta because at least I can give feedback on how it looks and hopefully make it in to a better game from my perspective. I hope everyone that gets in to beta takes this approach. Don't just get in, take a look at it's current state, and say 'this game sucks'. Put it in a specific feedback report about what you didn't like and why so it can be a better game for all of us. It's not done yet so any negatives we see at this point could change, and we play a part in that.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I expect a huge success. Multimillion and possibly challenging WoW. SW:TOR has everything that could lead to such a success - the good name of the company, the good name of the license, the calmness and throughoutness of the development (Its done when its done), and the originality of the concept.

But ...

... sadly I'm much less optimistic if *I* will like this game.

Yeah story content should be great, like always with Bioware.

But the rest ... the classes look too random for me. The rulesystem is simply very weird, with the ability to change from dd to either tank or healer, for many classes. I would rather want to focus on one class and really learn it than to do such drastic changes. A little flexibility is apprechiated, as is the ability to change your skilling, but a total change ? Not really what I'm going for.

And the classes ... I dont like rogue like classes, I dont like ranged classes, I dont like the idea of heavy armor guy with two weapons, I consider saberstaff a stupid idea, and I have no motivation to play a class thats conceptionally supposed to be "evil" ... so yeah, that only leaves Jedi Sage and Jedi Guardian.

Compare that to Vanguard: I dont like Rogue, Ranger, and Druid. The rest are OK. So yeah, I can fill every single slot of my account with a class I like (there are 15 classes total and you get 12 slots per account).

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by Distopia

commercially? hell yea

No.

I think the way Bioware is handling story is nice - it's better... but not THAT much better - and probably not anywhere near worth the effort Bioware has put into it.

Then you meant to say yes? I said nothing of it being better just that it's different. My point is it seems from many sources that the game hits the strides it was trying to hit.

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...