Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you see this game succeeding? Honest opinion and no trolling please. *poll*

Comments

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Distopia

I think that's the problem, they've played the same regurgitated content over and over again. In turn they've burnt themselves out on it. I'm not saying that's what TOR is, I'm just saying that's what they feel it is. I also feel regardless of if it's the case or not, that's how in the end they will feel as well.

If you mean with 'they' the people that are complaining about themepark MMO's on these forums, then you're right, because I honestly think it's a case of projection here, the 'I cannot enjoy certain gameplay anymore, so this must be the case for every other MMO gamer that has been playing themepark MMO's for years as well'.

However, regarding the general MMO populace I'm more of the opinion of what Khrymson wrote earlier in this thread.

You know I did think like this at one point (it's just here). Then I actually started looking around a little more. The hate is really everywhere you look today. People just hate everything it seems, nothing is good enough. Dumb action flicks can't even be dumb action flicks anymore. Everything must have some greater meaning than itself. Huttball can't be fun , nothing can be just for fun anymore, everyone wants to be blown away. I think it's more or less a niche to like anything in this day and age. Yeah I know grim outlook, meh...

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Distopia

You know I did think like this at one point (it's just here). Then I actually started looking around a little more. The hate is really everywhere you look today. People just hate everything it seems, nothing is good enough. Dumb action flicks can't even be dumb action flicks anymore. Everything must have some greater meaning than itself. Huttball can't be fun , nothing can be just for fun anymore, everyone wants to be blown away. I think it's more or less a niche to like anything in this day and age. Yeah I know grim outlook, meh...

While i agree that it isn't just here - you only have to watch how extremely toxic any political debate in the US has become - I don't agree with it being the case everywhere. For example, to use this site as an example, if it had been like what the vocal majority (and overall minority?) on this site was claiming for years, then WoW was already in rapid decline years ago and according to many here would be down to a bare few million subs. Yet in all that time that people here were saying that and WoW was getting flak, instead of the predicted decline it even gained a few million during that time.

Apparently the general MMO populace in those past years weren't as tired or fed up with WoW as MMO posters on mmorpg.com were saying those people were, or as they were themselves.

Anyway, I realise it's starting to get offtopic, so I leave it at this image

/offtopic

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Guileplayer

The title pretty much explains what this topic is about. I think so far the game looks good. And might surprise the "haters." But i myself chosing option no.3 because, i can't really pass a valid comment until i have played the game. I try not to judge games by videos.

Please define what exactly you mean by succeeding. If the world of MMORPGs has shown us anything over the years, it is that what one person might consider a triumph another will see as a trainwreck.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

i think it will sell well but long term success will rely on the content and what features the devs bring to the table that could attract and keep entertained large numbers of different playingstyles.  going the niche way won't help achieve the long term success that 's for sure, so let us wait and see what happens.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

What i meant by succeed on this topic is whether or not it will have the subscriber base to survive and have a decent, healthy community (500k-1mil). But ofcourse we are humans and we do have different way of looking at things. For some 250k maybe a success but for some 1 million isn't. I mean do you guys think (honestly and no troll answers) this game has what it takes to stay alive decently with a good number for subs for years? The reason i chose no.3 answer is because i don't know if the game is good. I have never played it, and i don't like to judge from videos. What maybe boring to watch, can be very fun to play (eg; baseball for me). But i know if a product is good, polished, and offers enjoyment then it will succeed. WoW is a great game, no one in this world can't deny that it is very polished. Tightest gameplay i have played on a MMO, fluid responsiveness on actions, no "input delay" like some MMOs. And as much as people bash on WoW pvp it is one of the best i have played on a MMO (all thanks to its tight controls and responsiveness). And WoW pvp does have a lot of depth and strategy when playing against good people. 

So yes i believe the reason WoW was a success is because it was a great game. And if TOR is a great game, with tight gameplay then i believe it will be a success. I think If the material and substance is there then a product will find success no matter how many people seem to bash it at first.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Originally posted by Kyleran

It will sell more than any other MMORPG title since WOW.....whether it will dethrone the champ remains to be seen.

GW2 will sell more.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@Guileplayer: while I agree on some points, I think you're forgetting the competition especially when you take the longterm, past 1-2 years look. Seriously, competition will be more murderous than ever before in the past 10 years. How many AAA MMO's have been released in those 10 years, 2 at most in a year, sometimes none?

Now look at 2012: GW2, TSW, TERA, ArcheAge.

With some strong other titles like Firefall, Planetside 2 and Blade & Soul to accompany them.

And in 2012 you'll have a World of Darkness, possibly a Defiance and Undead Labs' zombie MMORPG near.

That's a pretty strong line up.

So, while I expect SWTOR to do well in the short term, the first 6 months, after that things will become a bit more turbulent with the fierce competitive MMO climate that will arise.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Coming out of the gates, this game will easily be the 2nd most played P2P mmorpg and it will hold the #2 spot for a P2P mmo easily.

I don't see much innovation in SWtOR as I once did. But it really isn't bringing much new to the mmo scene that we haven't seen already in WoW predecessors like Aion, Rift and countless others.

It will be 3rd best played mmo after Guild War 2 is released. However I do see  it retaining a healthly 750k to 1 millions subscribers the 1st year just because it's Star Wars with its ground and space missions.

They gotta improve on the PvP system, cause PvE Boss raiding for End Game alone will not progress this game through the years.

To me a Star Wars mmo needs to feel like you live in the universe (immersion factor), not just play in it when it to get uber loot.

Man I miss the old SWG the more I see footage on this new mmo adaption image

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I voted yes, barring disasters.

The third option is probably the most realistic, but doesn't leave much room for opinion image

I'm hoping it, GW2 and TSW all do well, choice (coupled with quality) is a great thing to have in the marketplace.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

They gotta improve on the PvP system, 

I wouldn't mind seeing them adding an all PvP planet, even for the PvE servers, where its just a huge 'live' battlefield that anyone can join in or quit at anytime, with tons of objectives to complete, vehicles to drive around, turrets and other large weapons to control.

There should obviously be a huge Republic and Empire base, each of which can be infiltrated with a large enough force {bearing special objectives within} and strewn across the zone, dozens of smaller outposts, with as I mentioned above various objectives, like capture and control, destroy, sabotage, infiltration, maybe even some kind of puzzle to solve like shown in the Eternity Vault Raid, etc etc etc  

And most of all don't have a silly time limit like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad in WoW have, but rather everyone has a rolling score and once every 30min-1hr its tallied and you get your points based on performance yet all-the-while, the battles continue to rage on endlessly!

I definitely like this idea better than a tiny battleground with a dozen players...

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Dude it's BioWare. What more is there to say?

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

I think given the push EA is giving it, the bioware involvement, and the IP, it would be really hard for it not to do well.

Number 2 mmo out of the box and for a long time following is my prediction.

And this is considering that it's an incredibly derivitive game, i don't think that will matter.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

@Guileplayer: while I agree on some points, I think you're forgetting the competition especially when you take the longterm, past 1-2 years look. Seriously, competition will be more murderous than ever before in the past 10 years. How many AAA MMO's have been released in those 10 years, 2 at most in a year, sometimes none?

Now look at 2012: GW2, TSW, TERA, ArcheAge.

With some strong other titles like Firefall, Planetside 2 and Blade & Soul to accompany them.

And in 2012 you'll have a World of Darkness, possibly a Defiance and Undead Labs' zombie MMORPG near.

That's a pretty strong line up.

So, while I expect SWTOR to do well in the short term, the first 6 months, after that things will become a bit more turbulent with the fierce competitive MMO climate that will arise.

Some very excellent points, Maverick.

To the OP, financially I think Bioware will easily make their investment back and even reap a nice windfall. However as MMO.Maverick pointed out, successful longetivity of a large continuous player base hinges on many more factors than just the quality of SWTOR itself. Its impossible to know for sure until we see how its new competitiors fair.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

From the looks of things, i believe it will do decent.. i mean by no means will it take over the market right away, but it has tons of pontential if Bioware can play the cards right

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by Precusor

it's safe to say that ToR is the MMo that we've all been waiting for.

[mod edit] we are not  ALL waiting for swtor.

Many are waiting for GW2 and other mmo.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It will be succssful because it is Star Wars and Bioware.

'Made by Bioware' still commands vast amount of sales. Just look at the 2 new IP that came out in recent years and how well it has done.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect. 2 brand new IPs sold millions cause it had the 'Made by BW' logo.

This.. this is freakin Star Wars.

Add those who will buy anything that has 'made by BW' logo (including myself) and anything that has to do with Star Wars.

Yeah.... 

I think this will have a 'WoW effect' in that a lot of players will be 'first time MMO' players. This is very good news as it means the MMO genre is expanding. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by jpnz

'Made by Bioware' still commands vast amount of sales. Just look at the 2 new IP that came out in recent years and how well it has done.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect. 2 brand new IPs sold millions cause it had the 'Made by BW' logo.

Add those who will buy anything that has 'made by BW' logo (including myself) and anything that has to do with Star Wars.

Yeah.... 

I think this will have a 'WoW effect' in that a lot of players will be 'first time MMO' players. This is very good news as it means the MMO genre is expanding. :)

And you forget what bioware did with dragon age 2.clue: big flop.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It will definitely succeed.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by ruonim

Yeah.... 

And you forget what bioware did with dragon age 2.clue: big flop.

Sales figures of 1.5M+ in 10 weeks is a 'big flop'?

Wow! I'd hate to see what you define as a 'success' though. lol

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Yeah.... 

I'm with you on this. TOR has a similar set of circumstances preceding it to what WoW had, and judging by the KOTORish art style and the gameplay design choices I think Bioware have been wise enough to exploit them.

I don't think TOR will follow WoW's success in quite the same way though, mainly because so many MMO players want something different, but I do think that it'll bring in a lot of Bioware and KOTOR players who have never really played MMOs before.

And even though many MMO players are jaded and want something new, there are many others who have passed through that stage and come out the other side as casual MMOers. And of course there are plenty of others who are fine with playing another themepark game simply because it's not the same old tired fantasy setting and TOR offers enough differences to previous games to satisfy them.

Speaking for myself and my MMOer friends, we'd fall into the "past jaded" category and are looking forward to TOR for whatever it has to offer us. If it's got long term appeal then great, if not then we'll still probably get as much, if not more, gameplay out of it than any number of single player games.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Ceridith

It will sell a lot of boxes. As for how long people stick around, well that depends on how long the novelty of WoW with a Star Wars reskin lasts.

I see that you take gameplay and gameplay alone into consideration when calling something re-skinned, in that case, every game released last 10 years and everything that is upcoming right now are a re-skin of something already done.

Like the upcoming secret world, it's a good example of re-skinned champions online, you know, you get to choose your abilities from a pool of every ability in the game, then there's zombies and mythical creatures, gameplay is tab targetting + hotbar, modern setting etc. CO re-skin I'm telling you! You feel just like playing CO in TSW. Not.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

They gotta improve on the PvP system, 

I wouldn't mind seeing them adding an all PvP planet, even for the PvE servers, where its just a huge 'live' battlefield that anyone can join in or quit at anytime, with tons of objectives to complete, vehicles to drive around, turrets and other large weapons to control.

There should obviously be a huge Republic and Empire base, each of which can be infiltrated with a large enough force {bearing special objectives within} and strewn across the zone, dozens of smaller outposts, with as I mentioned above various objectives, like capture and control, destroy, sabotage, infiltration, maybe even some kind of puzzle to solve like shown in the Eternity Vault Raid, etc etc etc  

And most of all don't have a silly time limit like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad in WoW have, but rather everyone has a rolling score and once every 30min-1hr its tallied and you get your points based on performance yet all-the-while, the battles continue to rage on endlessly!

I definitely like this idea better than a tiny battleground with a dozen players...

I was under the impression that Hoth will be exactly that planet in the game. It's supposed to be PvP planet regardless of your server type. http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/planets/hoth

• WiezardWiezard Member Posts: 158

Gotto try it myself to make an opinion. And i don't believe anyone who says i have been in beta for the game. People throw this line a lot around here to give some kind of validity to their opinion, a last ditch effort to make you believe.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Despite seeing a lot of negative feedback, it will succeed. 

I make this assumption based on the unspoken demographic who do not browse gaming forums, or bother to comment on them.

The indication on here is not good. It probably has to do with age, and a mature crowd not liking the themepark mmos.

Prime looks like a good copy pasta of the same cuisine. I wonder what the same people who don't like swtor have to say about that game? It does not have cartoon graphics and has a bounty system. This is already a win, right? I can't complain.

Maybe people are reading too much into peoples negative comments. Maybe they like swtor but only say bad things to be on topic while liking other things in the game? Maybe it is my uniformed style of writing and trying to be fair and saying the good, the bad, and the fair.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

My guesses are:
    It will sell a lot of boxes, and a lot initial subscriptions, then the number of subscription will go drastically down in 2-3 months. There will be enough subscriptions to fund the operations, but not even close to what investors are expecting. That will lead us to the game going to pay2win (free 2 play) to milk hardcore fans(? does something like hardcore fans that even exist among today's kids - it seems their attention span is extremely short).

I love starwars but original trilogy. The new trilogy was disappointing, then clone wars tv serie was pathetic. It is still good animation and it stands out from moronic crappy present time made cartoons for kids, but i'm adult now and i have different expectations. It seems that the game is leaning more to that style then to what i loved in original saga. (no i'm not messing this game with the other kids mmo based on clone wars).

I don't like the graphics, animation is so damn stiff, and the combat looks so painstakingly dull. After trying some games with free targeting seems that chances i will ever again like a game with old fashioned tab targetting are pretty slim.

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online