Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

site crashed?

1235»

Comments

• AttoreionAttoreion Member UncommonPosts: 8

Well- I don't think it's really about what exactly was going to happen.  Whether it was about just getting a Beta-key, haveing a chance ot one, or even playing it as soon as you logged in.  The only thing that was specified was that you would probably get a Beta-key if you got to the site fast enough.

That being said, I think what should be the most telling thing about this is the fact that this simply looks bad.  Gratned everyone knows that the Beta will have  million bugs in it so that goes without saying.  But this is not beta, this is a simple website. From a consumer point of view, They did one of two things. 

1.) They either possed a publicity stunt to see how many people were going to hit thier site that day to test the waters.  IF that was the case, it was ill done.  No one likes being led on by the promise of something not given.  No matter what that something might be.  There could have been other just as enticing ways to accoplish that while maintaining customer confidence in the product.

2.) OR The site, like they said, simply failed.  This does not win votes of confidence either.  This should be a basic portal from one site to a beta-site to aquire a key or whatever they were offering.  If they cann't manage that, it reaally does raise questions about the hwo the company is going to manage the game itself.   Which gives one a healthy dose of skeptism.  A good number of MMO-Gamers are pretty burned with some games, and having anything in or around your game, RIGHT out the GATE, break outright doesn't look good.  Again, not a way to build and maintain customer confidence.

There are simply too many options out there right now for mistakes like this.  MMO's get subscribers by word of mouth.  If that world of mouth is sour with the first actual experience, then that is devestating to the MMO.  I hope they get thier act together quickly, because the game does look amazing, the premise enticing, and the character development intriguing.  Hence I would hate for any other set-backs to cause further lapses of confidence.

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28

last info about how is going is:

quote: Tarib Senior Community Manager  Today, 04:18 PM

Waiting for final confirmation on the status. Currently we most probably are looking at a delay of several hours. More detailled information will follow.

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=20442

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by fallenlords

'Funcom and EA announced at Gamescom today that horror-fantasy MMO The Secret World will launch in April 2012. And for gamers that just can't wait that long, the beta will kick off on August 26 and registration will be open soon.'

Don't owe me anything?  Actually they owe me a beta invite which I bought when I purchased a year sub + expansion to AOC. 

Interestingly enough, other articles state very clearly that it's about beta application process, even the Gamespy article you quoted said that it's registration that opens soon. If a beta starts, it doesn't mean that everyone who wants to will have access to that beta. As for the beta invite, they already commented upon that that people will get their access in the course of the beta process. That doesn't mean tomorrow or next week, it means some time while the beta period is still up.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28

@MMO.Maveric yes u have right BUT that not mean's it excuse funcom about failing wiht info, process about what a hell is going on ...

& if to get beta key it mean's require to have fb,tw & other crap account then in my point of view is a failure, personal i will not stay to spend hour & hour to read diferite site to see / get clue about what miracle will hapend in next second, see that ARG mistery

i post early they was skip some step about how was supose this hapend "close dor work > close beta invitation >open beta invitation >release"

fact if u are a custumer what have already buy a product from them & they gief u option to participate to beta & in end they gief u nothing sory but agen this is not good (who have let's say AoC buy already visit u'r account management & u will undestend)

enyway we can debaite how many time we want ze real power is in funcom company what they will decide wat they want to doo rest is just dust in wind ...

• joseph567joseph567 Member CommonPosts: 51

Well they officially announced that they are postponing the beta and sign ups until further notice.  They are thankful for everyones interest in The Secret World and are sorry for any inconvenience.  XD

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by joseph567

Well they officially announced that they are postponing the beta and sign ups until further notice.  They are thankful for everyones interest in The Secret World and are sorry for any inconvenience.  XD

This is what worries me about The Secret World - the game may be alright, the concepts and everything else. But can Funcom be trusted to deliver and maintain it in a reasonable manner?  This sort of thing is the 'norm' for them not a one-off, people don't call them Failcom for no reason.   I just really wish Funcom would be bought out by somebody that has a business brain.