Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Who Else is Sick of Comic Book Movies?

Comments

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

Oops lets try this again

I'm sick of badly done comic book movies

Thor was kinda awful. He never really had a big fight while he had his powers. Hes a god. Who can beat a god?

If they can make a really good action flick comic book movie then that would be ok. Lets just hope the avengers is good

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Kabaal

Sick of comic book movies? Not at all. Sick of the multitudes of poorly done ones? To my back teeth.

I love the genre in movies but there really are very few which are very good. I went through a fad last year where I would google for every single comic book movie made and then proceeded to watch them all and while I loved some, even ones I'd seen before, the majority of them really were quite pathetic.

I entirely agree.   They're churning them out like crazy though because I guess they sell.  I can see why.  Especially in that, for so very long, you barely had any real super hero movies to choose from. 

Its had its bad points and good points.  But because of this, we get stuff like Iron Man occasionally.  The first movie I mean. 

Personally I want to see a movie based on the graphic novel Kingdom Come.  Im hoping one day someone makes it, and that its of the same quality and script as the graphic novel.  

Its become its own genre at this point and a strong one.  Which is both good and bad.  It means you're going to get plenty of bad to horrible movies, with some real gems thrown in there.  Im just happy to have the gems.  If that means I have to suffer the existence of a few dozen bad ones to enjoy even one single amazing super hero movie, I'll grin and bear it.  Its worth it as far as Im concerned.   : )

• BuckaramaBuckarama Member Posts: 48

I'm tired of bad comic book movies.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by Tridian

Oops lets try this again

Thor was kinda awful. He never really had a big fight while he had his powers. Hes a god. Who can beat a god?

If they can make a really good action flick comic book movie then that would be ok. Lets just hope the avengers is good

Thor has lost his powers before. It's not something new at all. If you read the comic books you would know that the storyline in the movie followed Thors orgininal plot line very well. Although I will admit parts were rushed and the love affair in particular was rushed. It was almost as if when Jane Foster saw him with his shirt off she fell in love with him.

Also even though he is a god he's not the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, that would arguably be Sentry, silver surfer, or the phoenix. Another example is the hulk is physically stronger then Thor. Plus he doesn't get his true godly powers until he inherits the Odinforce, which is when he becomes truly awesome and more godlike.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I don't agree that they're "getting" watered down...

Matter of fact, the actual Marvel Studios movies are actually pretty decent.  And they're actually working to create the Marvel Universe.

But since the superhero movie "boom", arguably starting with the first Xmen movie, there have been clunkers.  Daredevil, anyone?  Electra?  Fantastic Four?  Spiderman 3?  Both Punisher movies?

And before the boom, how many REALLY GOOD Batman movies were there?  I count the first one.  That's it.

So, watery-ness really isn't a growing trend, it's been around for a while.  I suspect largely because Directors and Producers lack the faith in the character and the universe they come from to stick to what was already written for the past 30 years.

I agree wholeheartedly on the new Spidey movie, though.  The reboot is unnecessary, and the brooding punk angle is DOA in my book.  If you told me 20 years ago that a Spiderman movie was coming out and I'd be waiting til' video release to watch it, I'd say you were all kindza nuts... but yeah... my interest in seeing this movie ends with curiosity.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

You know it was bad when Hollycarpwood and Marvel aprroved a spiderman reboot. OMG!!!! NO!!!!! people pls boycot this movie.

I lost some respect for marvel for letting a reboot be done under 10 years its not called for I mean why could they not do a a spidy vs Kraven or better yet The Black Widow? Mavel for now I bid you ado.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

I'd rather watch a terribly watered down comic book movie than most of the other drivel that gets released.  Fact is, I grew up reading about all these comic characters, seeing them play out in still pictures and captions, and it was wonderful.  But it is also nice now that technology allows to see these same characters played out on the big screen (old Capt. America movies, etc show that it was even worse a couple decades ago), no matter how shallow they may be.  Do I wish they were better?  Sure.  But i'll take what I can get.

Of course i'm probably a minority.  I also enjoy seeing Transformers and GI Joe movies, and eagerly await more of my childhood friend's big premiers on the silver screen (here's looking at you, Voltron!).  Like I said, if it's between the garbage we get and nothing, i'll take the garbage, thank you very much.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I never cared for any of them at all. I haven't seen the new batman movies because comic book hero movies, shows, comics themselves, etc bore me. I find I can make up my own heroes.

@tmr819

Super hero MMO's are great because you don't have to dres or be like a super hero, you can be anything you want (ninja, pirate,  power ranger, gun slinger with a trenchcoat, etc). You're just in a world where people have abilities and super technology.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Sick of all the comic book movies...  Sick of all the movie re-makes movies.  Saying that, I used to spend a good $100 a month eating out followed by a good movie.  That money is better served in my mutual funds.

Power to the Sheeple

• thefinnthefinn Member Posts: 46

To the torches guys! Burn it all!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by daeandor

Originally posted by Kabaal

Sick of comic book movies? Not at all. Sick of the multitudes of poorly done ones? To my back teeth.

Going to have to agree with Kabaal here...

I'm going to have to jump in this boat as well.

And I'll add, I'm tired of a series making 3 movies then feel the need to reboot that franchise completely (I'm looking at you, Spiderman).  I've seen the origin story umpty-million times already, in the first movie, in the 3 animated series, and about every 2 years in the comics.  We all know teen-age geek + radioactive spider = an affinity to wear red and blue spandex.  And let's not revisit the 'classic' comic stories (your turn, X-Men).  We've seen the Phoenix saga in about a dozen forms, we don't need to see it again.  Let's move the franchise into new areas with original stories using the characters.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

To be fair, we got The Watchmen. Im perfectly ok with taking a comic and making it live action, frame for frame (but with a octopus at the end).

• curzon176curzon176 Member Posts: 14

I love comic books, and i love movies, so naturally i love super hero movies. I watch any and all i can get my hands on, and altho some of them are less than stellar (i'm lookin at you Ang Lee's Hulk), most of them are pretty good. As for this whole Peter Parker and wise cracking Spider man Shpeel Coyote was goin on about, well, i don't know if you actually read Spiderman lately, but Parker left his much geekiness behind back in his early 20s, right around the time he MARRIED supermodel MJ Watson. Granted thats all changed now like it never happened, but he seems hardly the socially awkward nerd he used to be. (tho i admit, being a scientist now does make him somewhat geeky again) But more importanly, the writers have thrown a lot of really emotionally crappy experiences Spidey's way in recent times, and much of the time he's definitely not his usual mouthy, wise crackin self. I for one, wouldn't be in an uproar if they decided to make a new spiderman movie where he's embroiled in one of these dark times. If they occur in the comics, then why not in a movie. Maybe the studio's reasons for doing it are skewed but i can live with that.

• VichusSmithVichusSmith Member UncommonPosts: 67

NOT I!! As long as a comic book movie looks promising, I'll go see it. If not, I am not forced to go see it, so how can I be sick of it? There are enough movies I have not seen that will hold me over if all comic book movies stink.

There's nothing more gratifying than playing an MMO for free.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Originally posted by k11keeper

Originally posted by Tridian

Oops lets try this again

Thor has lost his powers before. It's not something new at all. If you read the comic books you would know that the storyline in the movie followed Thors orgininal plot line very well. Although I will admit parts were rushed and the love affair in particular was rushed. It was almost as if when Jane Foster saw him with his shirt off she fell in love with him.

Also even though he is a god he's not the most powerful being in the Marvel Universe, that would arguably be Sentry, silver surfer, or the phoenix. Another example is the hulk is physically stronger then Thor. Plus he doesn't get his true godly powers until he inherits the Odinforce, which is when he becomes truly awesome and more godlike.

Gotta go with the Silver Surfer's boss, Galactus http://marvel.com/universe/Galactus as arguably the most powerful being in the marvel universe. (filled the "the Power Cosmic" you know.)

I'm old and therefore a bit tired seeing remakes of comic based movies, such as they've done with the Hulk and are now planning on doing with Spider man.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

I'm tired of 3 hour movies.

When I was a kid we walked 5 miles in the snow uphill, both ways, to watch a movie that was 90 minutes +- 5 minutes and still managed to tell a story. I would have a lot more tolerance for so-so movies if they weren't so freakin' long.

Not that I mind a long movie if it's good, loved the Watchmen, even the longer cuts.

I'd like to see more things like this, movies based off of darker and less well known comic books/graphic novels.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

All my childhood I dreamed about the day when they will start making movies based on my favorite comic heroes.

Now, i regret it....

The hollywood industry became so expensive that they can not make the movie if they not 110% sure it will be sucessful. And how best to be sure ?

Well, just take something that is allready proven to be popular : comics.

Problem is

You got to appeal to two crowds

1 People that like the comic

2 People that never heared about it

On the end the result is always dissapointing to both crowds. Because it tries to be both and falls in middle.

My message to Hollywood

You like comic book heroes ? Want to make movies about them ?

Than invent new ones , create them for the movie itself.

• Originally posted by Mr.Coyote

Absolutely.

I would LOVE to do a column on how MMORPG's are missing RP, quests, storylines, and are basically mutliplayer first person shooters with zero risk or real feelings of investment.

Corpse runs.

REAL death penalties.

REAL consequences for the poorly thoughout zerg attack or lack of planning.

But man.

The forums would all but explode.

Heh.

Maybe next week.

If you did this...I would pee my pants, continuously, for about two weeks, as I would not be able to stop laughing. Please let me know, in advance, as I could stock up on Depends.

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Its easy enough, if you're sick of them then don't watch them.  I personally like them.  I don't like chick flicks but I can care less if they make them because I don't watch them.  Comic book movies are in now.  In the next few years it'll be something else.  Comic book and video game movies are easier because the IP is already there and people already like the characters.

• zhandaozhandao Member Posts: 46

As of late, MMORPGs (with a few obvious exceptions) have become watered down, easy to digest versions of themselves designed for the masses instead of the core demographic of fans that made them popular in the first place.

As a writer, I absolutely understand the need to appeal to a larger-than-target audience in order to make a buck. But I also understand that you can do so by presenting solid material that doesn't pander to the crowd or dumb down the content. MMO devon the other hand seems hell bent on using the same tired two tricks in attempts to appeal to that larger audience, only to ultimately appeal to none.

• sn0wblind00sn0wblind00 Member UncommonPosts: 388

very much so.  seen a few lately and they've all been awful.  if anyone mentions a movie being a 'comic book' or graphic novel'-adaption, i'll skip it (now).  sick of seeing too many of the same cliche's and awful dialogue; this is even going in with the expectation that it will be a dumb but fun action movie.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

I like them.  If yoiu're sick of them though, why not just not go see them?  There's plenty of other great flicks out now.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes was amazing! (for example)

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Nah I'll never get sick of comic movies, I'll just continue to not watch the bad ones.  What I found odd was you described how bad a Jack Black Green Lantern would be (and I agree) but the one they actually released was pretty uninspiring as well.

I'm just glad to see that so many entertainment venues in this day and age cater to the things I grew up on from Transformers to GI Joe,X Men and on.

Now the funny thing is right around the launch of the new Captain America flick G4 or Spike tried to capitalize on the trend by showing these extremely campy Captain america films I didn't remember until I saw that movie and I immediately recalled them from when I was younger, for those who may remember cap had this red and clear plastic looking shield he would stick on the front of a motorcycle. 

Me personally I just wish know it all nerds would stop bashing anything that's halfway decent like the Spiderman trilogy maybe we wouldn't be stuck with the crap they are going to do now, if you thought Rami's version was bad wait until you see what they are going to try  to do now...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Mr.Coyote
    Absolutely.I would LOVE to do a column on how MMORPG's are missing RP, quests, storylines, and are basically mutliplayer first person shooters with zero risk or real feelings of investment.Corpse runs.REAL death penalties.REAL consequences for the poorly thoughout zerg attack or lack of planning.But man.The forums would all but explode.Heh.Maybe next week.

I like my job, but it's terribly boring. You should do this on Monday of next week.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.