Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Feast Your Eyes - Our First Ever Video Review

Comments

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

This "The graphics in no way should get a 9"

• mexxxmexxx Member UncommonPosts: 6

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by mexxx

will guild wars 2 be the same as guild wars in terms of the non shared environment? this as the only reason i kept playing linage 2 during the time... because guild wars had everything in instanced and only you and your party were able to explore... so the world seemed dead... any clue if this will change?

I do not want to be rude because anyone should be allowed to ask any question, but if you were really interested you could find the answer to this in just a few seconds of looking. This answer has been known for a long time now, and I really have to wonder when people ask question to get information they could get in a two second search, if they are even serious or just trolling.

Here is what I found in two seconds of searching:

Will Guild Wars 2 be an MMO?

Yes. Guild Wars 2 provides a massive, online persistent world.

The World

Set some 250 years after the original game. Tyria will be the only playable continent, the continents of Elona (Nightfall GW-Chapter 3) and Cantha (Factions – GW chapter 2) will not be included.

The game world is set to be much larger than the original game, much of the game play is said to be underwater. The lost land of Orr has risen from the depths and along with it the elder dragons have returned to threaten its survival.

The majority of the world, with the exception of dungeons and personal storyline, is set in a persistent world and isn't heavily instanced like its predecessor. Areas will be large and from what we've seen in videos will be zoned, meaning there will be portals and loading screens between areas.

There are 25 large explorable zones, 8 dungeons, and 6 cities currently planned for Guild Wars 2 Source

The world will have day/night and weather cycles. Some events will be linked to the time of day and weather cycle, some events will even effect weather.

As well as language understandable by the player there will be translatable languages discoverable by players, source: The language of Guild Wars

Originally posted by sabine33

No it will not change it is sam path, only with new graphic

There are many differences between GW1 and GW2 and the fact you say there isn’t is laughable. Go ahead keep spreading misinformation, that anyone with a head on their shoulders (and a brain), can do a little research and find it is an outright lie! 

no troll... i did search on google and yahoo.... my search was " will guild wars 2 be a true mmorpg" and some others that were similar but didnt find... thank you for your answer and detailed response.. sorry if  you feel im too "lazy" to search.. but trust me i have been in forums long enough to know search before posting... guess i should have started searching within this site and not in yahoo or google.

thanks again and hope to see you ingame if you do play!

-Mexxx

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by mexxx

no troll... i did search on google and yahoo.... my search was " will guild wars 2 be a true mmorpg" and some others that were similar but didnt find... thank you for your answer and detailed response.. sorry if  you feel im too "lazy" to search.. but trust me i have been in forums long enough to know search before posting... guess i should have started searching within this site and not in yahoo or google.

thanks again and hope to see you ingame if you do play!

-Mexxx

Actually, I've found 'guildwars2.com' is a pretty good place to look for info.

That sounds sarcastic and snarky, but it's not.  I mean, just one click on their FAQ would clear up half the questions people ask here. :)

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Meowhead

Actually, I've found 'guildwars2.com' is a pretty good place to look for info.

That sounds sarcastic and snarky, but it's not.  I mean, just one click on their FAQ would clear up half the questions people ask here. :)

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make, how hard is it to go to the main site for the basic questions! Apparently it must be pretty difficult so most of the people on the net do not do that!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Finally video reviews. :)

I think that is the thing this site really needs, it is a lot more entertaining that the old written ones.

Good review but the sound could have been better, nothing a little practice wont fix. 

I suggest that you move over to video reviews altogether. :)

• DarakuDaraku Member Posts: 2

Gosh ... get it right ... Guild wars is not an MMORPG its an CORPG

• DarakuDaraku Member Posts: 2

okay okay ... he corrected himself ... thank you

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

played gw, waiting for gw2

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

great review. Too bad you didn't show anything about Eye of the North which is the most beautiful and immportant (for gw2) parts of the game.

Also, you seriously need to change your builds lol.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Ok here's my honest opinion about the review:

It might be the subject (I just don't give a hoot about GW), but tbh I got bored with the clip pretty fast (around 3 mins I actually wanted to stop watching).  This is mainly due to 2 reasons though;

1) Your voice. It's not very pleasant sounding to me. It's pretty nasal, the quality of the mic is very bad and you talk too much in one tone, which makes it a bit boring to listen to.

If you are really contemplating going this way in the future, please find a professional voice over guy to read the reviews.

2) The editing is sloooooow. You seemed to be rambling on in some bits just to fill a certain time, at least that's how it came across to me. There should be shorter, more interesting clips shown imo. Maybe also some leaders in between sections to break the monotony a bit.

As for the contents of what was said, I'll refrain from commenting since that didn't really matter to 'review' the video review imo. I kept my comments strictly 'technical' or 'productional'.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

#1 Good review, I like the discursive and conversation style. Sure some ppl's production comments will come in use for additional reviews, lots of tech-smart ppl around. Definitely more vid reviews would be great.

#2 Convinced me I missed out, not playing GW. Oh well.

#3 Scoring system: I was "out at sea" as to the weighting of what 9,8,7 compared to, but more or less agreed with the results especially the AESTHETICS category (not graphics = tech measures) as some posters were blathering on about mixing up the two components of visuals. The number of discussions that turn on this usage suggests it's not mincing of words to point that distinction out so well chosen use of words ; )

#4 Community/Game Modes/Social Features could be fleshed out a bit more, although observation mode was obviously a strong feature in this category.

#5 Interesting how Longevity took a hit. Perhaps instancing is the biggest "turn-off" for some people in this game or the complexity/accessibility of builds in pvp?

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Ok here's my honest opinion about the review:

It might be the subject (I just don't give a hoot about GW), but tbh I got bored with the clip pretty fast (around 3 mins I actually wanted to stop watching).  This is mainly due to 2 reasons though;

1) Your voice. It's not very pleasant sounding to me. It's pretty nasal, the quality of the mic is very bad and you talk too much in one tone, which makes it a bit boring to listen to.

If you are really contemplating going this way in the future, please find a professional voice over guy to read the reviews.

2) The editing is sloooooow. You seemed to be rambling on in some bits just to fill a certain time, at least that's how it came across to me. There should be shorter, more interesting clips shown imo. Maybe also some leaders in between sections to break the monotony a bit.

As for the contents of what was said, I'll refrain from commenting since that didn't really matter to 'review' the video review imo. I kept my comments strictly 'technical' or 'productional'.

Saying they should get some other voice over guy after his first video review is unfair.. just give him more time. I think he did a good job and I'm positive the later video reviews will get better over time.

And for the review.. as some already said about longevity, GW has tons of content so that really isn't an issue. But overall, a good review. Keep up the good work!

Eat me!

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Still love this game. Playing everyday! :-)

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

A good review but ruined by the poor audio quality, invest in some new hardware and review another MMO please as I prefer your style to the ranting/screeching approach which is popular currently.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

It's not a trilogy if there are four of them...

"The trilogy of games includes the original Guild Wars as well as Factions, Nightfall and the final installment of Eye of the North."

I count four sir, not three!

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by MisterSr

It's not a trilogy if there are four of them...

"The trilogy of games includes the original Guild Wars as well as Factions, Nightfall and the final installment of Eye of the North."

I count four sir, not three!

3 main games, Eotn is an expansion not a stand alone game

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

When is this "Gamertube" crap going to get a HQ option?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

He also forget that the UI does include the effects monitor, skill monitor, the map etc.

Just take a look at http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/UI

Add being able to adjust position and size of these things, and changing the visuals of them with Texmod (even adding stuff like spirit range to the radar etc.), and i don't think there is not going on enough. I prefer it that way compared to having to squeeze 500 skills, weapons and items into 50 slots.

And that stuff about end game content...yeah..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• xanarotxanarot Member Posts: 26

Only enough for 1-2 years? Doesnt this guy do any research before doing a review?

People have been playing pvp, almost on-stop, since the game started. As in, sharing an account with several people and never doing pve on it. Such accounts have not yet completed the entire pvp aspect. Not to mention the PvE area...

Also, due to HardMode, the entire games content is endgame. Once you reach level20 (about 5-6 hours for skilled players) the endgame starts. People play for thousands of hours. Do the math.

Also a shame you didnt reflect on what makes guildwars endgame unique: no weapon/armor/level upgrades. Once you have the best in something, it stays the best forever. No endless upgrades to be sought after, instead people seek after rare skins - what they find good looking enough to been seen in. This gives a massive diversity in armor/weapon usage (not even talking about being able to color your armor) allowing everybody to look unique... if they want to.

• spda242spda242 Member Posts: 1

Very nice way of reviewing a game, I haven't played GW so I can't comment on the accuracy of the what is said.

I definitely wanna see more video reviews, things which you could improve are Mic quality, and I would have prefered an HD option/button for the video (like youtube), the video looked really crappy at full screen (2560x1440).

• phantiasmicphantiasmic Member Posts: 38

My wife and I go back to GW from time to time, she really enjoyed having "heroes" you could control and have your own party to explore with. Kind of like old school rpg games.

I think GW has always been a solid game, nto for everyone but GW2 is going to be much different. They are taking what was good about GW 1 and adding many things that were not good and it will be different.

And again if you consider no monthly fee to play, that has kept it alive for a long time and why people go back to it between games etc...

- I have played Everquest, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, Aion, Rift, SW Galaxies, Planetside and Guild Wars (all expacs)

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

8 is the new 9, and 9 is the new 10. 10 is totally unrealistic.

8.6 for a 6 year old game is equally unrealistic. You are being way too kind, and, im sorry to say, not credible.

• TrokarnTrokarn Member Posts: 68

I haven't played Guild Wars, because when I tried the trial I just couldn't get into it. However, if you can get 1 - 2 years out of a game, I would say the longevity is at least a 9. 2+ years would definitely be a 10. Most recent MMO's can't remain interesting for over a month let alone a year. And those have subscriptions (which supposedly pay for content updates). A buy to play giving you a year or more of gameplay is amazing, I think.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I would have liked to see the video, however I have third party windows blocked.  Please host your video games on your own server.

From the comments I would say I agree with the final score of 8.6.    I have been playing Guild Wars since Sorrows Furnace was introduced, I still have lots to do.  I still feel that Guild Wars has some of the best graphics of any game (not so sure I like the graphics of Guild Wars 2 way too stylized).

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Mimzel

8 is the new 9, and 9 is the new 10. 10 is totally unrealistic.

8.6 for a 6 year old game is equally unrealistic. You are being way too kind, and, im sorry to say, not credible.

I agree with you on the assessment of the score, but not for the reason.

I did think the reviewer was being a little too kind.  I've been playing with my friend recently and trying to group with someone is often clunky due to the different districts of cities, no shared quest log or trying to figure out which heroes you're each bringing.  Some things like the camera bug me or just not having an auction house.

The game also has some issues with replayability due to its linear mission structure (though at least you get 4 campaigns total through all content).  Redoing things voluntarily on hard mode for a challenge can be fun, but leveling an alt right after another is painful.

So I'd have been inclined to rate it at least a little lower, maybe an 8.0.

That being said, it is a lot of content for no subscription fee, especially since we've seen the trilogy for on sale as low as $15 (normally $30).  Also, keep in mind what is probably the most amazing thing about GW, which is that the servers NEVER go down, not weekly to patch or for maintenance, not ever.  (They do update, and pretty frequently, they just manage to do it without taking the servers offline).

Compared to a P2P MMO, it's clearly dated and lacking in some of the modern features.  Compare it to a F2P MMO that is possibly filled with gold spammers, lacking in depth, or possibly P2W, GW comes off looking amazing for only a small upfront cost.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007