Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom - A Massive Disappointment

12345679»

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Originally posted by Kretan

for every fanboy post in this thread there are 2 bad reviews to counter with, but dont let that sway you.

even the investors are scared its going to bomb, but dont let that sway you.

by all means stay in this little niche and keep shelling out 120$ for collector editions of crap games. at least you will have a doll to comfort you when they pull the plug on the servers a couple years from now.

Did the investors call you up personally? didn't know you were friends with them.

Bite Me

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I've been playing the game 12+ hours a day for over exactly one week now. Trust me, I am DYING to tell everyone exactly how AWESOME this game is. I could write a book about it.

O_O dang! I would love a beta-invite email, but with it being completely random, and not based on filling out a questionnaire - I'll continue waiting for the beta weekends...

"Why isn’t space combat on the show floor for all to play?" - Its a side game, and since the gameplay was initial starting zones for like 40 minutes, nobody got that far into it to receive a ship.

I am really interested in character customization, but I feel like the beta may just have a simple version - and I assume the beta folk shouldn't comment on this.

For thoughts on gamescon and what they could have shown or spoken on, I would have to go with explorable worlds, how much sense of adventure off the mission path is there?

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by vesavius

I personally do not like the practise of selling the product while having the NDA in place.

If it's ready to take money on, it's ready to let people who have played it actually talk about it imo.

To gag players at this stage, while the cash flows into the tills, suggests a lot about EA's worry about the reception it will receive with unfettered info and opinions out here in la la land.

If I hadnt played it and had thrown down my money based on BW spin and hype I personally would have been sorry. InsteadI will be waiting for GW2 and avoiding this one in the same way I avoided Rift.

You do know that this is a STORY based game, right??

Think back to KOTOR....would that game have had the effect that it had on it's players if everyone knew before they even played the game that their character was actually Darth Revan??

Honestly, I'm pretty damn positive that no one with any inside knowledge of the game is worried about it's reception. Not even a little.

Your attempt at fostering paranoia, and  insinuation that SWTOR is something to be avoided are transparent as glass.

Have fun in GW2, with your elves and swords. Personally I've had enough of phantasy games.

Allowing PLAYERS to voice an opinion of GAMEPLAY has nothing to do with blowing any big plot, but I think you know this. In fact, the nature of the game says there isnt any one big plot to blow anyhow, so your argument is kinda weak all round.

There is only one reason to have a NDA up for this game at this point- They arnt happy for their players to talk openly about their game. Ofc, they ARE happy to take your money though.

The things you guys defend because it's your entrenched flavour of the month....

I've been playing the game 12+ hours a day for over exactly one week now. Trust me, I am DYING to tell everyone exactly how AWESOME this game is. I could write a book about it.

I'm not "defending" this game because it's FOTM....I do it because it's a great game, and people who spew conspiracy theories are full of shite.

I read these posts by people who think they "know" why there is an NDA, or "know" really anything about the plots and game mechanics and I laugh myself silly.

95% of them are SO FAR off base that it's plainly obvious that they are pulling things out of their arses.

I've always respected you, Vesavius, and enjoyed reading your posts...which is why I am so surprised to find you taking part in the whole anti-SWTOR conspiracy theory crowd.

Thanks, nice of you to say, but you know I am not one for crowds. :)

I was in beta for a month and I too want to talk openly about this game, but the NDA stops that. I obviously cannot expand on that here, but I don't think we would be sharing the same views on this one (which is ok!).

Either way, I would like to see all game devs dropping NDAs before they started taking money. I am not just having a go at EA/ BW here.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

I think the guys in charge at BioWare just don't know WTF is up!  Now, yes they are supposed to be really smart guys, and I'm sure BioWare has a ton of supremely talented people... But something is WRONG when they start taking money and they can't even set a preliminary release date.  Seriously, its Implicit in business that when you want people to pony up for a "pre-order" those same people deserve to know when they might expect the "Product" for which they are paying!!

And don't give me the BS line about how "we are working soooo Hard! to make the game the way it should be!"  If you are "professionals" you should be able to estimate when a project will be complete.  And, IF, situations arrise that will bump that date back you can explain that and most will accept it.  And, furthermore, If you so much as dare say things like this on their forums your thread will get deleted within moments after you post.  So what is it about the topic that is so sentitive for them?  (Then again the forums are probably moderated by EA employees... and many of us know just how completely messed up they can be.)

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

How on earth are people still falling for the pre-order scam?

I guess when you've got $11million of stolen oil money coming to you from the Nigerian ex-Minister of Finance, you can afford to throw your money away.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I'd have to write that this is a crazy story from Mike, and I think he had unrealistic expectations from a games con. Reality is that Bioware presents as part of Electronic Arts show case, so they put on something much needed a PvP game that will apeal to casual gamers who might wander through. Youaren't going to be playing the GM copy at this event ...so get over it!

• KretanKretan Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Nikkita

for every fanboy post in this thread there are 2 bad reviews to counter with, but dont let that sway you.

even the investors are scared its going to bomb, but dont let that sway you.

by all means stay in this little niche and keep shelling out 120$ for collector editions of crap games. at least you will have a doll to comfort you when they pull the plug on the servers a couple years from now.

Did the investors call you up personally? didn't know you were friends with them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-24-report-ea-investors-doubt-star-wars-mmo

• KretanKretan Member Posts: 9

i would suggest you do more research before you attempt to discredit someone, or just continue to make yourself look silly i dont care.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

i would suggest you do more research before you attempt to discredit someone, or just continue to make yourself look silly i dont care.

LOL.....like I would trust anything written by eurogamer anyway. They don't even bother to play most of the games that they "review".