Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Gamescom - A Massive Disappointment

Comments

• Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by hardicon

I dont think they have plans for world pvp

"TTH: Can you talk a little bit about PvP objectives?

Emmanuel Lusinchi: A little bit. So, we have different kinds of PvP. The one you’re mentioning with objectives is the open-world PvP, I suppose.

The world PvP: you queue for it and we try to match a similar amount of players.

-We scale your power to a certain extent that we prefer to match players of the same levels.

-We also want people to play PvP rather than wait forever for a match that is never going to come.

-We have a system of match-making that can match you with people who are not your level, but everybody is kind of boosted to level 50 power.

-We try to minimize its impact, but it’s more about your skill rather than your level. Of course, the higher level the player, the more tools they have and they will have an advantage, but it won’t be overwhelming which is important.

this part he isn't actually talking about open world pvp.  its just the warzones.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Yes many of us "clearly" understand what's going on, unfortunately there are far too many who "wont listen" and will learn the hard way, $150 plus hard way.

"Where’s the beef?" there isn't any and is why their hiding behind the veil, it's most certainly grab as much cash as you can before and at launch cause after that it's over.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

It wold be a wasted opportunity IF there was really a rabbit in the hat, but I don't think there is to be honest.   I think when you look at the game objectively and remove the Star War lore and hype, what you will be left with is a fairly generic game that is on the rails with PvP tacked on as an afterthought.  I think they really invested a lot, possibly too much of their resources into the story.  Once the story is played out people will come crashing into the reality that is the same shallow gameplay that walks in the footsteps of the previous big budget failures of the last 6 years.  I'm sure the story will be fantastic since it is a Bioware game, but I think at the end of the day there won't be enough meat on the bone to keep people subscribed for the long term.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by rt33

Yes many of us "clearly" understand what's going on, unfortunately there are far too many who "wont listen" and will learn the hard way, $150 plus hard way.

"Where’s the beef?" there isn't any and is why their hiding behind the veil, it's most certainly grab as much cash as you can before and at launch cause after that it's over.

Damn i got rick rolled yet again.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Once this game goes live people are going to finally realize how extensive the handholding is in this game.  You want any kind of challenge this game will NOT be for you.

I have already decided that I will not bother with this game.  I want at least some challenge in a MMO and a bit of being able to make my avatar somewhat unique.  No chance for that in this game.

You will see a lot of disappointed people once this game goes live.

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

I will say that perhaps not mmorpg.com persay is biased, but the user base here certainly is.

That being said. I agree fully with this article. Why are they(ea/bioware) keeping such a tight lock on everything?

• ShaunJ1380ShaunJ1380 Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Once this game goes live people are going to finally realize how extensive the handholding is in this game.  You want any kind of challenge this game will NOT be for you.

I have already decided that I will not bother with this game.  I want at least some challenge in a MMO and a bit of being able to make my avatar somewhat unique.  No chance for that in this game.

You will see a lot of disappointed people once this game goes live.

Could I have my fortune told as well?

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by gaou

this part he isn't actually talking about open world pvp.  its just the warzones.

ok still.. world PvP plans -

PvP is very important for some players and is a valid way of playing the game. You’re spending time and are in the game. If we did not reward you in an equivalent manner if you were playing PvE, then you would be wasting your time. That would make it just so much harder for anyone to do PvP.

-So we give you experience, we give you credits, and we give you valor, which are unique skills that are administered in PvP and are not linked leveling in any way, but just how well you are doing in PvP. We give you tokens to let you buy various sets of PvP equipment at different levels.

It’s not every level, but there’s a great level 20 set and there’s a really great level 50 set. It’s a good way to play the game if that’s what you aim to.

-Of course, a player can just stay forever and only do that, but we think that there’ll be more balance than that. They’ll want to progress as a character through the story and do this as downtime, but it’ll be up to the player.

-Now, with open world PvP, we have objectives that can just happen naturally – you run into players of another faction and you can just attack them, especially on PvP servers.

-But we also have special places where there are objectives.

-Fulfilling the objectives will give you some tokens as well, which are different from the warzone tokens.

-They can be exchanged for each other, but not a favorable rate so that we encourage you to do both forms of PvP, but we don’t force you to do both forms of PvP.

-The reason why we have objectives in the open world for open world PvP is a) to focus the player as they know that there will players on the other side who is trying to do this objective, which is great.

-It’s a big universe, where do you fight otherwise? Not only does it let us focus them, it allows us to focus them in the right way, because if you put every player on the server onto one spot, it never works very well for many reasons: technical, gameplay, visual effects.

-It spreads them though the clever design of objectives and the clever design of what you need to do. It gives us control, but it’s also out of control because it’s open world."

Source: http://swtor.tentonhammer.com/featured-post/gamescom-interview-with-emmanuel-lusinchi/

Apparently the mod/upgrade system for gear which allows you to really look however you want doesn't give enough customization?

I'll probably be one of those "stick to my Jedi robes 1-50" kind of guys.

Also the 30% or so of the game that takes place in instances/phasing makes this a closed off, linear, instanced world?

Odd...

Apparently fighting 3-4 mobs at a time almost every time and ending every engagement at less then 30-50% health makes a game too easy?

Hmmm I wonder how "easy" it is for those who don't know they have CC at low levels (everyone does) that they need to use or will die often?

Sounds easier then most "pull a single mob at a time and end the fight with 90% health" MMOs...

Oh wait...

Or hey, there is always the "soft" aggro and trinity system where group roles are more fluid and dynamic instead of rigid tank/healer/dps where your only chance of dying is by being teamed up with a bad healer/tank etc.

Sounds a lot easier.. you know, having to think and react in group combat instead of just mindlessly spamming whatever abilities maximizes your role in the group...

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

The author hit the nail on the head. What about crafting? Yea, we've been told the details about it but wheres the vids on it? Why havent they shown any crafting vids at these gaming conventions? At this point, I find it hard to believe they will release the gam this year. Much to my shagrin. I'm excited about this game but I'm also nervous about the lack of info and playable demos being shown.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

maybe they want fans sites to relay the info like your own site?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/forums/thread/324377/Gamescom-PAX-Prime-2011-TOR-Information-Thread.html

seems to be a lot of stuff in there. starting areas for sith, bounty hunter, smuggler and pvp videos. 

Not really sure what you are looking for other than release date.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• WhitetreeWhitetree Member Posts: 76

I can't speak from experience with the game itself as I'm not a beta tester nor have I been to any of these conferences, but I will say this: we cannot base a game's success solely on the amount of hype aka information released prior to launch. Too many games have come and died that were expected to be blockbusters but were actually lackluster in every respect, despite the stream of information preceding its actual release. The fact is that the gaming industry, particularly MMORPGs, is a very fickle beast. We demand tons of information before the game is even available and want complete demos on every aspect of the game so we know its ins and outs before we can even genuinely play it. Then, if we don't get the information we want everyone berates the developers for being shady and inconfident in their product. The flipside is that even if we do get the information and demos, once the game actually releases people will STILL be upset and call the game a failure because it didn't live up to its hype. And it won't; nothing ever lives up to its hype unless it sneaks in the back door and shocks everyone, but that happens very rarely.

I for one would like to see less focus on generating buzz before a release date is ever announced and see more quality control in releasing finished, polished product that actually satisfies its target playerbase. While I'm looking forward to both SWTOR and GW2, I realize that likely neither will be the best thing I've ever played especially right out of the gate. Yet a game like The Secret World still has a lot of potential to grab my wallet's attention, too, despite the slower stream of detailed information.

Look at the movie industry. The most we get in the way of hype from most movies is one or two trailers, yet no one will contest the fact that movies make a lot of money worldwide. I'll grant it that it has a much more established history than gaming and attracts a wider audience as well, but it still proves that success is not determined by hype. The Dark Knight was an amazing movie not because it had 30-minute previews or because of the hype of it being Heath Ledger's last movie, but because it was simply well-crafted and perfectly executed.

Bottom line: Give me a good game that's worth my time and attention, and you have my financial respect. You don't have to hype it up; if the game is good, it will hype itself through its playerbase.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards. -Lois McMaster Bujold

The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. -Abraham Lincoln

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Antarious

Liked the article.

Huttball... I seriously wonder at times what developers are doing.   Drunk or stoned.. both?

Can you seriously see a bunch of Sith and Jedi.. "hey we'll fight over this ball.. and the winner gets the planet."  or something like that.  

You know I could go on and on just about Huttball and all the "pvp games" like it (capture the flag).   As opposed to say DAoC with Fort Capture etc   Or how perhaps the PvP "in" a game should actually match the lore of the IP its based on in some way.  Or at least make some kind of sense in general... as to why its even going on besides some kind of gear grind.

I guess I'll just stop here and say once again.. liked the article.

Why dont you look into things a bit more before whining. You sound as if Huttball's idea is to be some kind of planet domination contest for Sith and Republic but it's not, in fact it has no strategic value what so ever to either of the sides, from story point of view or strategic view considering your faction, you have no point in participating.

But that's not the idea, it's just a blood sports arranged and sponsored by the Hutt's and neither republic or the Sith cares if you participate. It's your personal thing if you want to take part in the SPORTS. You may also compete against a team of your own faction. It's blood sports arranged by the Hutt's and that's it. It makes as much sense as Podracing, another blood sports arranged by the Hutt's but only with fast moving vehicles.

Why should the world be filled with ONLY stuff that has huge importance to the Republic or the Sith? Things like this makes it feel like there's something else going on the galaxy and not ONLY Republic vs. the Sith in every inch of the known galaxy. I so do hope that Tatooine gets Podracing as "end game" choise if not by launch at least later in expansion. No need to participate if you want to do faction specific stuff only all the time.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Because SWTOR is based on a famous ip and is being developed by a well respected single player games developer, it already had broad attention from any games website.  (Unlike GW2, which untill recently only seemed to get coverage on MMO websites). They can play it safe and just have to show content that is polished.

GW2 needs more successfull media coverage. They need to sell their game to the masses because they are mainly dependant on boxsales and they also came up with quite a lot of changes in the genre for which they need to convince the players. And the (unusual) thing is that they are succeeding in this exceptionally well. I think its unusual, because there have been more MMO's with new and unique concepts , but they failed to convince the players when it mattered. Mainly because they made the old mistake of releasing an unfinished product instead of using gameshows to convince players of their new ideas.

I think both SWTOR and GW2 are showing a lot of polished gameplay before even open beta. This is unusual and Im afraid that they will stay the exception. TSW and Archeage for example, dont seem to be able to copy this.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by monarc333

The author hit the nail on the head. What about crafting? Yea, we've been told the details about it but wheres the vids on it? Why havent they shown any crafting vids at these gaming conventions? At this point, I find it hard to believe they will release the gam this year. Much to my shagrin. I'm excited about this game but I'm also nervous about the lack of info and playable demos being shown.

Here is the real issue I see with SWToR. Bioware seems to spread out and EA seems to be running the show. I mean honestly how long was the SWToR presentation before they were moving onto another game noone cares about?

SWToR should be there main focus, but it does not seem to be getting the attention it deserves.

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

I agree and disagree.  I don't believe GamesCon is a good convention for making HUGE announcements and I believe they will save it all for PAX.  If they do not unveil Character Creation, World PvP, Legacy System and start Phase 2 of the Guild HQ PAX will be a huge disappointment.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I think bioware wont release too much for the simple fact it will give the current market time to put something out

I think we the MMORPG audience is spoiled.

We are used to beta's and leaks and reveals and demo's and free trials etc. etc.

The majority of the video game industry does not work this way. They show some videos, show some game play, tell you some stuff, but save a lot of the surpises and really interesting tidbits till you actually play the game.

If  you know everything and have nothing left to discovery or be suprised about, especially in such a story driven game, what's the point?

Bioware has always been a fairly closed developer. They don't tell you everything about a game, but they release such good games people buy them out of trust for the developer, word of mouth, and straight up hype.

It's their first MMO, they don't want to ruin all the fun.

{mod edit}

You don't sell boxes to non-MMO fanatics with crafting videos at conferences.

Developers "hiding" information is not unique to the MMO genre nor is it always a bad thing.

Some devs do dilute and distort because they know their game isn't as amazing as they want it to be.

Duke Nukem Forever comes to mind... as does Fear 3... Bulletstorm, Final Fantasy 13, D@D Daggerdale... many examples.

But many games aren't hiding the bad as they are instead saving the good - Gears of War 1/2/3, Halo, Resistence, StarCraft II, Mass Effect 2, etc.

Many examples.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

SWToR will be the hugest disappointment on the face of the planet.  Everything that WE DO KNOW about the game is cliche (I'll avoid saying WoW Clone for now)  and the stuff that isnt similar other then the voice over story elements look like it was designed 10 years ago for EQ or soemthing.

Im sure the game will be polished but I also am willing to bet the game will suffer from that AoC/WAR been there done that element.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Zylaxx

SWToR will be the hugest disappointment on the face of the planet.  Everything that WE DO KNOW about the game is cliche (I'll avoid saying WoW Clone for now)  and the stuff that isnt similar other then the voice over story elements look like it was designed 10 years ago for EQ or soemthing.

Im sure the game will be polished but I also am willing to bet the game will suffer from that AoC/WAR been there done that element.

Begun the clone wars have.....

• BlacksirBlacksir Member UncommonPosts: 28

I will quote Yoda "Be patient Padawan"

& in same time i realy don't undestend how some1 can be disapoiment when something is not final release?????

plus do u know how many time was need to fix all problem what wow whas at start?!?!?!?!?!?! ppls who was play wow on vanila time my be remeber stuking when trie to ghater herb, vein or drop in midle of ocean using ship & many many nice bug (BUT was FUN mmo starter time)

soo let wait to see how will be when game will be final release & it will pass first 6 months other way evrything is just speculation ...

p.s. what a hell u expect to find on gamescom ??? there are soo many movie on youtobe about game ... there are soo many nuvel, story maide by fun ... so all this huge univers can't be build / reveal in few day ....

Yoda: "Be fraking patient Padawan"

Actually the game reminds me a lot more of the Mass Effect series and Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 then it does WoW/Warhammer/AoC.

Strangely enough, it's almost like two different games blended together into one.

On one hand, you have the Bioware game - great story, great characters, lots of dialogue, excellently designed things like the ships, travel, companions, crafting, mods/upgrades... but with the great addition of also being multiplayer - really does feel like multiplayer KOTOR/ME a lot of the time - especially the flash points.

But then you also have all the open world PvE "questing" and PvP and "battlegrounds" + "raids" that feel a lot like WoW/WAR hybrid then anything else, which makes sense due to the Mythic influence/partnership with Bioware in the EA umbrella.

Over all effect is very familiar, yet unique and amazingly fresh. Which I can imagine is exactly what they were going for.

IMO of course.

Space mini-game is full of win, but I loved Star Fox 64 and similar games (Rebel Assault series comes to mind.)

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

To be honest the only information I really want to get is the official release date.  Everything else leaves me with a sweet and sour taste, as it only allows me to watch without trying for myself... My pre-order is made and I will only be disapointed if I won't be allowed to participate in beta testing.

About Guild Wars 2, it can be very polished, with some interesting new addictions, nice graphics, etc etc, but the only way I will play a game with hero cows and bears and that kind of creatures / races is if SWTOR and TSW are major failures.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Puremallace

Begun the clone wars have.....

Lmao I almost spat out my coffee when I read this. =D  Anyway, it sounds like folks are waiting for that one thing that will really "blow them away" as far as reveals go.  I wager it's difficult to do that type of reveal when Bioware has been saying that STORY is going to be the thing that really blows folks out of the water.  The size, scope, and variety of the story elements are what set this MMO in a class of its own.  Everything else in the game could be considered "fluff" if you want to get down to brass tax.  PvP, crafting, and other MMO elements are going to be side bar activities for folks when they want a story break.  The Devs have been pushing the story element from day 1 so I honestly don't understand what folks are waiting for.  Its like telling people the ending of the Harry Potter series before the first book was released.  Sit back, relax, and wait till launch.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

bad spock that is not pvp, that is a pvp minigame to keep your mind off the dullness that the game will be, see wow for that.  instead of giving you content they give you minigames that take forever to see the end, that way they dont have to make things for you to enjoy in a game, just release more gear.  true pvp was never about gear, it was about fighting other players and having fun.  besides with arenas and all that kind of stuff how much open world pvp do you think is gonna happen.  people will sit in major cities and q for battlegrounds instread of exploring the world, just like in wow.

besides giving rewards is the second point i made in my post.  bioware is trying to give out too many rewards for everything.  hey i went to doodie 10 times today, i get a reward that i can buy a special pottie or something.  its dumb and its just a obvious ripoff of wow and other games that have done it.  I wanted star wars, epic space battles, epic land battles, grand armies clashing, thousands of jedi and sith fighting for what they believe in, instead we get 8 vs 8 pvp instance warzones that the only reason you are there for is to get the current season of gear so you can be ready for the next season, just like wow. 

hey bioware, wow is losing subs left and right because of this business model wake up, people are getting sick of doing the same thing over and over again each day, we want a game, not a job.  most of us have 1 to 3 jobs nowadays anyways, we want a game that we can relax and  immerse ourselves in not another job with a deadline and a schedules to keep up with.