Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: No Same Sex Relationships

Comments

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think this is really a non-issue as people play the game for fantasy and can RP gay relationships with other players if they choose. Can't see WoW people clamouring for ghey pandas in the mists, so I don't think it critical.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Talthanys

Star Wars:The Old Republicans

Lolol. That's a pretty good one actually.

That really cracked me up.  Very clever. :)

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by i_evil_i

My Lord Exilor, count to 10 and catch your breath!

This is exactly the kind of knee-jerk reaction and drama grabbing response a lot of people (including me) are always expecting in any conversation where gays think they have been wronged.

You claim tolerance but yet you don't tolerate someone with an opposing point of view...and then you try yourself to 'paint' the other person with an opposing view as the one who has the tolerance problem.

Probably not such a long shot nowadays, to guess that there will be someone complaining and giving everyone a guilt trip, in the LEGO Online forums because they don't have enough same sex relations in their game either.

As others have expressed, I also have a kid who loves Star Wars and I don't want him exposed to same sex relationships in any game I purchase for him. 

I agree wholeheartedly with LA's decision to keep it out of the game.

Knee-jerk reaction and drama grabbing. The same, in essence, that I said about the "ewww, gay stuff" post I quoted in my post that you quoted. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by Master_M2K

Hasn't this been known for a while. I mean the game has been pushing for a T for Teen rating, so I doubt they'd be able to get away with same sex relationships. I'd be more concerned if the M rated Mass Effect 3 didn't have same sex relationships.

Woah woah woah.

Just because its a Same Sex relationship doesn't mean its a higher Rating for a game... Srsly, how could you even think that?  Same sex realtionship's doesn't mean "raunchy pr0n".

Going further, this yet continues to prove how unintelligent and uninspired this game is, as well as the people developing it.  "You can have your own story, but it has to be a heterosexual story only."

This game is really pathetic.

• BadSpock2BadSpock2 Member Posts: 96

You people can bicker back and forth all day -

Point is, it is a FACT that same-sex relationships are not as generally approved of in Western cultures.

Right or wrong doesn't matter, it is a fact.

A game is a product that you sell to consumers, not having same-sex relationships in the game is the "safe" route to not offending in some way the majority of your consumers.

Right or wrong doesn't matter.

Personally, I find it unfortunate that Western societies aren't as open as they should be considering our supposed "love" of freedom and respect.

Doesn't change the fact I'm in the minority for being accepting.

• slurpee222slurpee222 Member UncommonPosts: 25

why is this such a big deal?

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by eycel

Originally posted by CazNeerg

Originally posted by veratutazz

...Which is why they should just remove all 'romance' aspects, period.

This is a terrible argument; a stupid rule from the ESRB prevents 5% of the population from having romance options in the story, therefore the other 95% shouldn't have them either, because the options might irritate the 5%?

doesnt matter if its 5 percent or .000000000001 percent.  If those people have something they need, either its being held against there will from them or it isnt.

"Need?"  It's a game, need has nothing to do with it.  If you like the design decisions, you play, if you don't, you don't.  Like it or not, there was never any substantial chance of scripted same sex relationships in TOR.  The ESRB has historically placed higher ratings on games with homosexual content, so from a business standpoint it would be irresponsible to include it in a MMO which is aiming for millions of subscribers (there are far more kids, as a percentage of the population, than there are gay people) and even if it wasn't, it is highly unlikely that LucasArts would ever allow openly gay characters in a Star Wars product.  As far as they are concerned, gays don't exist in their IP.

Either way, it isn't fair to blame BioWare if you dislike the decision, because it either is a decision literally forced on them by the owner of the IP, or a decision practically forced on them by the practices of the ESRB, regardless of what they would like to do.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by veratutazz

Originally posted by DarkPony

Romance with NPC's isn't really a primary reason for me to want to play the game but I am pretty bummed about this: I want to be able to roll a female character who will have relationships with female npc's rather than males.

Do not want romancing with other penis owners, even if they are npc's.

V_V

But.. what if the NPC was programmed by a penis owner?

>FacePalm<

Personally, I find all this fascinating (Ergo, a penis dressing up as a vagina and not wanting to romance penis, but vagina, and yet wanting vagina IRL to romance his penis and being annoyed if said IRL vagina didn't want his penis.. and probably Truly annoyed if said vagina was actually penis dressed up as vagina)

I think they should allow for any kind of 'flirting'.. or 'romancing' in-game. If they're going to put it in-game, then they shouldn't -blockade- certain types

Hell, to be frank, I think we are ALL missing the big picture... I think you should be able to "romance" other races and even robots.

I mean, if you want your character to be a deranged bot-lover so what?

This is all mostly BS IMHO anyways. As long as its just very minor 'flirt' chat options and not something integral to the game then it doesn't mean much. Choose a same-sex 'companion' and make your own same-sex slave relationship.

It is a bit annoying that a developer/employee said something like that, though. They should have just STFU about it because now they have to either tow the line or go back on what they said. IMHO they just just should say "Fine, EFF ya'll, we're yanking all 'romantic' aspects at all.'

I mean.. are you REALLY going to make a decision on this game based on what they decide is appropriate NPC sexual conversation choices for this venue? Really?

By the by, my 6 yr old daugter will be playing this game with us... or at least watching us play. Personally, *I* dont want sexuality involved. I Certainly don't want it to be integral and necessary or almost necessary (see- Dragon Age) and I DEfinately don't want to have to explain homo vs. hetero to he because of some flipping nuthead i am grouped with who loves the homo chat options.

food for thought.

Hehe. Nice elaboration on the the subject matter. Very decent too with only the bare minimum of referring to specific reproductional organs. :D

We'll have to see how important and worked out this aspect is though, in storylines, etc. *curious is*

I think I read somewhere that it will be totally optional anyway.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

In a single player game, I'm all for whatever people want for romance options.

In a MMORPG, I'd prefer to have NO NPC romance options, same sex or opposite sex. Let the "RPG" part come out, and let two PEOPLE interact that way if they wish (cybering, etc). Would just seem weird to have 200,000 people "in love" with the same NPC. Even Wilt Chamberlain and Gene Simmons couldn't keep up with that.

Will Bioware allow marriages in game I wonder... I know some games will do same sex marriages and some won't.

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

It is not a big deal, unless of course you happen to be gay, Which i am NOT ... ... .. I think... ..lol

(I will ask me wife and kid later) :)

Work hard Play Harder

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by BadSpock

Point is, it is a FACT that same-sex relationships are not as generally approved of in Western cultures.

A game is a product that you sell to consumers, not having same-sex relationships in the game is the "safe" route to not offending in some way the majority of your consumers.

Personally, I find it unfortunate that Western societies aren't as open as they should be considering our supposed "love" of freedom and respect.

The "safe route" would be to not have these relationships in the game period.   Being a game marketed to sell and any company wanting "max profit" should realize this.   Why?  

Because one thing that really drives up sub numbers these days is families.   People want to be able to do things with their kids.   When you put a bunch of parental controls in a game (as many do) obviously having relationships of this type in a game defeats the purpose.   Now if you are marketing your game to a Mature audience and are happy with that smaller customer base fine.

I don't have any issue with MA games.

I just don't think EA bought bioware for 860+ million dollars etc to develop this game for anything but the maximum audience size.   To that point "in game relationships" are going to prove counter productive.

Beyond that I don't care what someone else does or how they live their personal/private life.   Unless of course the things they do impact negatively on others who were not given a choice.    Then again when someone develops a game in ways I don't like I don't go on some grand crusade to try and change things....  I comment about it and move on or completely ignore it. 

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I am face palming at this thread in more ways than one.

Look, there's no <insert weird sexual fetish here> Relationships in the game! Rage!

I don't really get this whole thing about romancing NPCs to begin with though. Especially in an MMO game. It's like... objectophilia.

Since I'm going to playing this game with my girlfriend, I'm sure as hell not going to pursue some random NPC chick in a romantic way.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Marcelino

Originally posted by Banegrivm 

According to what I read and saw they are pretty apparent. I.E. it happens in casual conversation just like it would in Dragon Age 1 or 2, Mass Effect, etc. I for one don't want hit on by someone that's gay. I don't hang out where I can be hit on IRL by gays I shouldn't have to experience that in a game that I play to escape from RL. I realize gays love it, gays think everyone else should love it too, but I don't like it. I'm old fashioned. I don't hate gays, I just don't appreciate "gay content" if you catch my drift. 

{mod edit}

What a crock.  Maybe in some areas, but across the total population, most research places the amount (in the U.S.) at somewhere between 1 and 3 percent.  A far cry from "1 in 5."  

Though I agree that the poster you are responding to is being silly, it isn't like a character can jump through his monitor and assault him, in games the "No means no" approach works just fine.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

According to what I read and saw they are pretty apparent. I.E. it happens in casual conversation just like it would in Dragon Age 1 or 2, Mass Effect, etc. I for one don't want hit on by someone that's gay. I don't hang out where I can be hit on IRL by gays I shouldn't have to experience that in a game that I play to escape from RL. I realize gays love it, gays think everyone else should love it too, but I don't like it. I'm old fashioned. I don't hate gays, I just don't appreciate "gay content" if you catch my drift.

{mod edit}

I think your "1 in 5" is a bit off... more like 3 to 5 in 100

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

but war is!!!!

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

Originally posted by xZeRGz

{mod edit}

I think your "1 in 5" is a bit off... more like 3 to 5 in 100

Not from my experience!! haha ...;)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I personally think they should just leave Character/NPC relationships out of it.  Who really needs that?  Aren't RL relationships enough?  Do we really need to develop relationships with computers?  If you want hetero- homo- or whatever- relationships - go have them in REAL LIFE.  But, if you really want to get upset because your particular flavor isn't in a game, then here's some advice:

Don't play the game that offended your sensibilities.

Find a game that has what you want in it.

Go make your own game that has what you want in it.

Stop playing computer games to get your interpersonal interactions and start living real life.

I think that devs have every right to decide what they want to put in thier games.  If they want hetero- only, fine.  If they want homo- only, fine.  If they want a mix, fine.  If you don't like what they're offering, see my above advice.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, discussing the topic at hand and stating your opinions on the decision (positive or negative) are great and encouraged, but please try to remember that how you say something is important also, on either side. We have a diverse community here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70

is this really an issue? did this topic really just get 10 pages of discussion?

people must seriously be bored out of their minds anticipating this game.

if some turbo nerd homosexual wants to go do some same sex wookie RP at the rusty trombone cantina, then by all means let them do it. But is it really a big deal if that option is not available?

i'm mean 99% of the time its a male playing a female character hitting on a male character.  i guess my point is, you never really know what you're getting anyway, so why make such a big deal about it?

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

There was never any gay stuff in Star Wars. Not sure why this is even an issue.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Fascinating how many mediums biggots end up involving themselves in. Here's a company WELL known for having gay/bi options in it's games because quite simply this is closer to a real life immersion then not having it and now they are being strong armed by Lucas Arts because let's face it, in the limited view of these people, Gay people don't exist and are not part of nature much less natural design, HA. Despite massive amounts of evolutionary/historical data to back up just the opposite. All scientific evidence asside wouldn't it increase the numbers of your sub only game to attract ALL people from all walks of life to your game by providing a more realistic immersion factor rather then the opposite from a purely marketing point of view??

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Pretty much this.

Lucas(art) has always rules the star wars francise with a iron fist, we've seen the living proof of that even in SWG.

And lucasart knows it wont really matter to the gay-scene, relations betwine players will form regardless, its not like they are banning gay players or even gay retations.

Them taking this (meaningless) stance on gay relations will apease the anti-gay crowd.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

no gay relationships allowed but a straight man is allowed play as a female...

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by i_evil_i

Exilor writes:

Don't paint us as if we were weird clingy weirdos into weird kinky stuff and on the verge of raping you. FFS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Lord Exilor, count to 10 and catch your breath!

This is exactly the kind of knee-jerk reaction and drama grabbing response a lot of people (including me) are always expecting in any conversation where gays think they have been wronged.

You claim tolerance but yet you don't tolerate someone with an opposing point of view...and then you try yourself to 'paint' the other person with an opposing view as the one who has the tolerance problem.

Probably not such a long shot nowadays, to guess that there will be someone complaining and giving everyone a guilt trip, in the LEGO Online forums because they don't have enough same sex relations in their game either.

As others have expressed, I also have a kid who loves Star Wars and I don't want him exposed to same sex relationships in any game I purchase for him. 

I agree wholeheartedly with LA's decision to keep it out of the game.

I'm curious, but would you allow your child to pursue a heterosexual relationship in a game?  So long as it's a straight romance, it's kosher?

I respect that others may have no interest in homosexuality in any form and it might even make them uncomfortable.  I have no interest in it either, but as far as I'm concerned, equality trumps everything else, even when it's inconvenient.  Especially then.  If one type of romance should be removed from the game, then all should. 

Using the 'protect the children' argument is just convenient way to justify one's own willingness to suppress another's contrary viewpoint, instead of learning how to live with it.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by evolver1972

I personally think they should just leave Character/NPC relationships out of it.  Who really needs that?  Aren't RL relationships enough?  Do we really need to develop relationships with computers? 

You do not have a relationship with a computer, you in fact are having a relationship with a developer's fantasy (usually male), so hitting a female NPC in game, means you're actually hitting an imagination of another male (penis-owner as defined above).

REALITY CHECK

This discussion has been closed.