Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Actually Offended by Huttball

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Troneas

the name is still pathetically rediculous though, so is the concept. 

I imagine that "Hutt Ball" is a slant rhyme for "Foot Ball" and is just a happy coincidene that they capitalized on in order to make a game that was somewhat evocative of a sport.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

when the CIA was training Osama, they weren't at war. 

in case you haven't found out yet, the sith are invading republic space and kinda intend to extinguish the republic and the jedi.

so unless you can come up with a pick-up game post-2001 the argument doesn't work. 

My argument is forget about the vocal minority who are qqing.

Most of the population will be too busy playing to care what they have to say.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

in case you haven't found out yet, the sith are invading republic space and kinda intend to extinguish the republic and the jedi.

so unless you can come up with a pick-up game post-2001 the argument doesn't work. 

... I guess I just can't take video game wars too seriously, and that's the problem.

Even if I kill somebody on the other side in a video game, I'm perfectly aware they'll spawn again, and only be slightly inconvenienced at worst.

So if they take breaks to go play sports in between pretending to kill each other, it doesn't seem like a huge break in reality.  It's just a game.

Anyway, there really WAS a documented case of soldiers during... what was it, WWI or II, I forget... taking a break mid battle to play sports.  So it's not completely crazy. :D

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by Sovrath

I imagine that "Hutt Ball" is a slant rhyme for "Foot Ball" and is just a happy coincidene that they capitalized on in order to make a game that was somewhat evocative of a sport.

doesn't speak much about their originality though does it? 

but then again what was i thinking? starwars was never original image

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

this is what they plagiarised to make huttball:

It seems alot more like smashball than this. Also, there are plenty of capture the object games that involve putting an object at the center and having everybody fight for it.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Huttball looks like some fun shit. If it costs me a little immersion to play a fun game, who gives a damn?

There is no such thing as "original". It does not exist. The world to look for is authentic.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Atlan99

Originally posted by Meowhead

I absolutely refuse to read 30 pages on a topic I don't care too much about, but....

I don't see the problem with level 80 characters playing sports.

The President of the United States, inarguably one of the most powerful people in the entire world, plays basketball.

The Navy and Army both have football teams, and they play against each other.

Even really powerful, serious business people like playing sports sometimes.

If you can't picture your own character playing it, just don't do it. D:

It's not like being a killer, or being really important precludes enjoying yourself through sports, hobbies and the like.

yet obama didn' go playing basketball with osama bin laden. 

When the CIA was training Osama, Obama stopped by to have a pick-up game.

You probably missed it, since he was going by the name of Tim Osman at the time.

I for one don't care what happens in real life as i'm playing a game. which was suppose to be an escape from reality. Besides there was a truce, it's fragile as heck but they aren't in open war fare, the empire did invade yes, they did sack Coruscant, yes, they did sign a treaty, yes. Both are on fragile terms and fighting could break out at any moment but neither side can afford an all out war yet. If it happened both sides would get squashed and their economy would fall into the drain. They are at the moment in a recovery state, biding their time until they can start up again.  They don't like each other yes and sometimes skrimishes are faught, but as long as big battle ships don't start destroying planets everything stays cool. Not honkey dory like i'm going to go out to this sith birthday party and eat cake and ice cream. But they aren't holding guns at each other either.

Both sides are in a stall period hoping the other side doesn't strike before they are ready. Thats the point the game starts, when this kind of waiting starts to become frail and falling apart.  Treaty is still in effect, it's why you can't go to the other sides home planet. that would be an act of war, and they don't want to start a war yet, they want to recover first and get stronger.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

... I guess I just can't take video game wars too seriously, and that's the problem.

Even if I kill somebody on the other side in a video game, I'm perfectly aware they'll spawn again, and only be slightly inconvenienced at worst.

So if they take breaks to go play sports in between pretending to kill each other, it doesn't seem like a huge break in reality.  It's just a game.

Anyway, there really WAS a documented case of soldiers during... what was it, WWI or II, I forget... taking a break mid battle to play sports.  So it's not completely crazy. :D

you've been playing the wrong kind of games.

in some, yes they spawn again but will have to endure with some meaningful penalties.

and one of the most prestigious designers of the mmo industry will disagree with you about being "just a game". 

and again - the sports you speak off where not sports between the allies and the nazis. 

Originally posted by denshing

There is no such thing as "original". It does not exist. The world to look for is authentic.

well its not even authentic.

how is it authentic to star wars?

its a bloody violation of everything star wars stands for. 

Originally posted by whilan

I absolutely refuse to read 30 pages on a topic I don't care too much about, but....

The President of the United States, inarguably one of the most powerful people in the entire world, plays basketball.

It's not like being a killer, or being really important precludes enjoying yourself through sports, hobbies and the like.

You probably missed it, since he was going by the name of Tim Osman at the time.

I for one don't care what happens in real life as i'm playing a game. which was suppose to be an escape from reality. Besides there was a truce, it's fragile as heck but they aren't in open war fare, the empire did invade yes, they did sack Coruscant, yes, they did sign a treaty, yes. Both are on fragile terms and fighting could break out at any moment but neither side can afford an all out war yet. If it happened both sides would get squashed and their economy would fall into the drain. They are at the moment in a recovery state, biding their time until they can start up again.  They don't like each other yes and sometimes skrimishes are faught, but as long as big battle ships don't start destroying planets everything stays cool. Not honkey dory like i'm going to go out to this sith birthday party and eat cake and ice cream. But they aren't holding guns at each other either.

Both sides are in a stall period hoping the other side doesn't strike before they are ready. Thats the point the game starts, when this kind of waiting starts to become frail and falling apart.  Treaty is still in effect, it's why you can't go to the other sides home planet. that would be an act of war, and they don't want to start a war yet, they want to recover first and get stronger.

It's not an "official war". But there is definitely a "proxy war" going on behind the scenes. Which is what the story centers around through your character.

It's about as authentic as cantina's, twi'lek exotic dancing, and pod racing. Ok, fairly less authentic than pod racing.

yes yes but the truce doesn't explain how a monastic peacekeeping organisation (ie the jedi) find themselves playing floatingball soccer with their historic enemies in a ganster town. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

yes yes but the truce doesn't explain how a monastic peacekeeping organisation (ie the jedi) find themselves playing floatingball soccer with their historic enemies in a ganster town. 

Because not all the jedi follow the jedi code to a T.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

That is far far to broad of a statement. It may be a violation of what the Jedi stand for, but clearly they can't leave out one class. Not to mention the statement is rather subjective since some  people feel a Jedi, especially in this time period, may be more apt to play. As for the sport itself, I think it fits the setting quite well. I can see how some might see the jedi playing this game as something questionable, but I can see all other classes doing it without any problem whatsoever, yes inlcuding the sith.

It's about as authentic as cantina's, twi'lek exotic dancing, and pod racing. Ok, fairly less authentic than pod racing.

let me explain. the idea behind the sport, yes. the way its being implemented, no. 

if it were some pass-time of the mob (like many in the lower levels of courascant) for instance, it would be OK - aside from the name which i insist is rediculous. 

but the way its sold by bioware is just not authentic to the principles. next they'll put a casino in the jedi temple. 

I'm sure the explaining is what the storyline is for. This sort of thing actually sounds perfect for what you might expect of a Bounty hunter or Imperial agent. But if I remember correctly in Kotor, you were doing duel competitions in order to make credits to get off of Taris.

In all likeliness you will be caught up in some trouble on Nar shadaa and have to partake in this competition to get out. Sound familiar to how Qui-gon had to take his bet on Anakin winning a pod racing competition to get off tattooine? Well, getting caught in a rut sounds even more likely in Nar Shadaa.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Better Example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

The Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during theFirst World War. Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.[1]

It happens.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm offended by radishes, fleas, togas, salad forks, penny stocks, mitsubishi (the word, not the company), and Dark Pony,  but strangely enough,  huttball seems relatively fun, festive, and enjoyable.  

Can someone honestly say that about.. radishes?

listen the jedi are a legal governmental organisation. they are part of the Judicial Department which answers to the supreme chancellor. 

triying to dismiss my point by pointing out that "some" members bend the rules is not good enough. it doesn't justifiy the circumstances. 

*snipsnipsnip*

Are they? Is that what the really are in this era? I'm not so sure about that. This isn't the movies, the jedi of this time period aren't glorified cops or stand ins for a nonexistant army as they seem to be in the time of the movies. I don't know enough of the lore to know what they may be in this time period.  A reglious order certainy, but one that has rocked the galaxy with civil wars and may not be entirely trusted because of it. They're close to the Republic certainly, but the relationship is fragile, in fact at the time of this game they aren't even allowed to stay in their temple on Coruscant. It's very possible the jedi code isn't held to quite as well in this time period as it is within the time period of the movies.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I think there are enough examples in history and fiction where people from opposing sides do stuff together for shared goals or due to circumstances.

The rest of the discussion is just the same kind of 'meh' arguments as I've seen with AoC, LotrO and other MMO's where lore judges find fault in some ingame element or feature image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

listen the jedi are a legal governmental organisation. they are part of the Judicial Department which answers to the supreme chancellor. 

triying to dismiss my point by pointing out that "some" members bend the rules is not good enough. it doesn't justifiy the circumstances. 

How about it's fun and people like it. If it's too immersion breaking for you. Don't play. You'll have more time for your LARP sessions.

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/08/19/blue-milk-cereal-what-do-you-think-of-the-huttball-warzone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AskAJedi+%28Ask+A+Jedi%29

*snipsnipsnip*

Again I question this. That may be what they are in the time of the movies, but is it what they are in the old republic era? Certainly they can't be a judicial department if they are in exile.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Ready...

C'mon get Ready...

I mean really  Ready....

Are you ready for some HUTTBALL?!! A monday night PARTY!

We got Vader, Luke, and Han and 'bout to get thing STARTED!

Launch the X-Wings, Charge the Death Star,  that's right!

All my Force friends are here on Monday Night!