Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has some of the best graphics for an MMO out there

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by shinobi234

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by fadis

This reply is pretty much exactly as I saw it.  Each class has a personal story which factors into it.  So thats individual time allotment.  Id imagine there are also class specific quests and missions. 

I know classes will be doing some of the same stuff or playing with one another.  So in response to Fadis, maybe a bit of both.   But if the 200+ hour thing is true, especially for each of the classes, yea.....thats a LOT of game. 

Let me try a different approach.

If you were to decide to play through the entire story of two classes solo - smuggler and trooper, for example - and you were to ignore time spent trying to solo flashpoints or group quests... you believe that by the end of each story, you would have 200 hours of content, none of which is the exact same as the other class.

Or, do you believe there might be 20 hours of unique content... and about 180 hours of generic quest hub content that is shared by the entire faction?

* and for a comment actually on topic - I see nothing wrong with the TOR graphics.

Beats me.  Seriously I cant imagine its 200 hours of pure individual content per class.  I have to assume if they're saying 200+ hours for each class, that has to include everything.  Group quests, killing mobs, PvP maybe.  All of it. 

So how much unique class content?  I have no idea.  My best guess?  80 hours?  50?  Something around there.  Heck it could be more.  But I doubt it. 

nice you doubt something you never played :) wait until it releases. one you dont know how much content  you have wait until you play it 2. it has alot of content i read up on it and they work hard on it and it has tons of content to doubt a game you never played thats nice unless you in beta you dont know :P. well play the game if you doubt it. if not dont play it ether way i am going to enjoy it .

Hey Im just giving my best guess.  I can doubt it.  I mean, if I had played it I wouldnt have to doubt or believe in anything cause then Id know.  Which is where the whole "doubting" thing comes into.....play.  Sorta....

Anyways I just find it hard to believe they have 200 hours of completely unique content per class.  Because there's a lot of content there I imagine the classes share.  Similar quests, definitely the same zones.  PvP.  Group stuff.  So if its 200 hours of unique content wouldnt that other stuff added to it be more like.....600 hours of content per class?  Or more? 

But heck I dunno.  Obviously.    : P

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Wizardry

I am sure they have improved them from a year ago,but they are nothing to brag  about.The texture is still low end ,there is not one sign of shader use anywhere and lighting looks really done cheap.The characters clothing still looks like ancient console graphics,eq2 puts swtor to shame in this respect and eq2 is ancient tech.I actually find that ffxi using real low tech has better looking clothing with alot more detail and ffxi is a very old game engine,using real low end graphics.

Sorry but swtor is not going for anything hi end or high tech as a matter of fact,it barely makes it as being average.There is not a single hi res texture used.The gun  fire since they are using hi tech lazers ,should have some sort of knockback or some indication they are getting hit  ,expecially since the character is wearing next to nothing for defense.There should be a sort of side to side motion to show the player is getting hit,instead they added zero for extra animations ,only the death animation.

They also made sure to keep the polys down with very little use of coulour,there is a common theme in first map,greyish.brown.green.

The animation is ok for looking proper,but it has very little realism as it looks to be one dimensional.There is nothing that moves on the character ,example clothing moving or breathing nothing realistic.Also the animation looks blocky when turning ,it only looks normal when moving in a straight line.

IMO this being a very well known IP needed to go that extra step,this is a game that SHOULD have used destructive surfaces.This game using such low end tech ,could have easily pulled it off,but instead it is quite obviouis they are going the easy ,cheaper route for developing this game.

i know what you mean you dont like the grachics :P. but then again they went this route so others can play this game with out being able to build super mechine..... my wife lab top can play this game with out upgrades it has the specs required and its fun . but then again if you dont like the grachics and want shiney games i sure there tons of games out there. but me and wife going to be happy dont matter how it looks i still play it because its fun.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

This reply is pretty much exactly as I saw it.  Each class has a personal story which factors into it.  So thats individual time allotment.  Id imagine there are also class specific quests and missions. 

I know classes will be doing some of the same stuff or playing with one another.  So in response to Fadis, maybe a bit of both.   But if the 200+ hour thing is true, especially for each of the classes, yea.....thats a LOT of game. 

If you were to decide to play through the entire story of two classes solo - smuggler and trooper, for example - and you were to ignore time spent trying to solo flashpoints or group quests... you believe that by the end of each story, you would have 200 hours of content, none of which is the exact same as the other class.

Or, do you believe there might be 20 hours of unique content... and about 180 hours of generic quest hub content that is shared by the entire faction?

* and for a comment actually on topic - I see nothing wrong with the TOR graphics.

Beats me.  Seriously I cant imagine its 200 hours of pure individual content per class.  I have to assume if they're saying 200+ hours for each class, that has to include everything.  Group quests, killing mobs, PvP maybe.  All of it. 

So how much unique class content?  I have no idea.  My best guess?  80 hours?  50?  Something around there.  Heck it could be more.  But I doubt it. 

No the 200 hours is an average for class story alone. It factors in no other content be it group quests, normal quests that everyone can do, pvp, world bosses or anything else. 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Jimmy562

No the 200 hours is an average for class story alone. It factors in no other content be it group quests, normal quests that everyone can do, pvp, world bosses or anything else. 

Hmm, this is not how I recall it, what they said. Continuing below:

This is going offtopic, but ok, here it goes: iirc they mentioned the 200 hrs or 'hundreds of hours' referred to the gameplay hours in total, so incl World Quests you might want/need to do to level up but excluding everything else, the pure basics of Class Quest content, required combat and traveling for that and additional World Quests. They also mentioned that at the starter worlds the amount of Class Quest content ws 60-70%, afterwards it becomes 40% and only at the very end the Class Quest content amounts to 10% compared to the World Quest content.

So from this I gather the pure Class Quest content is around 75 gameplay hours of your leveling experience, or in the range of 50-100 hours of it.

Of course, that's for one playthrough, there are examples and they also mentioned where different choices lead to entirely different questlines and locations you'll visit. Not every decision you make will have such drastic different outcomes, but from the amount of examples and statements I'd say it's still a significant content variation within the same CQ class.

In short, I'd estimate that the Class Quest content for each class holds like 125-150 hours of gameplay with all its variations in decisions, about which you'll probably see 75 hours of on your first playthrough. the rest of the gameplay hours that you'll spend leveling will be doing the World Quests that are shared with your faction, or as alternate leveling options, Flashpoints, Heroic Group Quests, Warzones, and open world pvp.

Of course, even if they're estimations based on the info and facts available so far, it's still just speculation.

/offtopic

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

/offtopic again

just to clarify a little bit here. maybe backup what maverick just said. this game isnt 200 hours of personal story then "bam" youre at endgame. its more like the game starts out heavy personal story and then as you are leveling, the personal story is a steady but quieter backdrop to the other stories you'll come across ie political, military, underworld, etc type stories. your choices affect how those play out as well. so it s a combination of class and personal choices that makes the entire leveling process unique.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The graphics aren't bad but they aren't the greatest either. This game needs Mass Effect type graphics or even the original Dragon Age type graphics.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Torgrim

Yet another one who is confuced and don't know the difference between grahics and artstyle.

But it do looks nice.

Why brag about your games graphics when the game isn't appealing to look at?  I've never really understood why people keep trying to separate art style and graphics.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Hmm, this is not how I recall it, what they said. Continuing below:

This is going offtopic, but ok, here it goes: iirc they mentioned the 200 hrs or 'hundreds of hours' referred to the gameplay hours in total, so incl World Quests you might want/need to do to level up but excluding everything else, the pure basics of Class Quest content, required combat and traveling for that and additional World Quests. They also mentioned that at the starter worlds the amount of Class Quest content ws 60-70%, afterwards it becomes 40% and only at the very end the Class Quest content amounts to 10% compared to the World Quest content.

So from this I gather the pure Class Quest content is around 75 gameplay hours of your leveling experience, or in the range of 50-100 hours of it.

Of course, that's for one playthrough, there are examples and they also mentioned where different choices lead to entirely different questlines and locations you'll visit. Not every decision you make will have such drastic different outcomes, but from the amount of examples and statements I'd say it's still a significant content variation within the same CQ class.

In short, I'd estimate that the Class Quest content for each class holds like 125-150 hours of gameplay with all its variations in decisions, about which you'll probably see 75 hours of on your first playthrough. the rest of the gameplay hours that you'll spend leveling will be doing the World Quests that are shared with your faction, or as alternate leveling options, Flashpoints, Heroic Group Quests, Warzones, and open world pvp.

Of course, even if they're estimations based on the info and facts available so far, it's still just speculation.

/offtopic

I think you're wrong here Mav. Just sayin. As I recall if they went with gameplay hours in total which include class quests, world quests, flashpoints etc., then the number they mentioned with that was 1600 hours. They never mentioned that number again however so I think someone just pulled that one out of a hat, but in any case the number of hours for gameplay hours in total is a heck of a lot more than 200 hours. I mean heck, DA:O averaged out at only 100 hours and I've gotten the impresson that the average of class stories in TOR is quite a bit more than that.

Originally posted by Foomerang

/offtopic again

just to clarify a little bit here. maybe backup what maverick just said. this game isnt 200 hours of personal story then "bam" youre at endgame. its more like the game starts out heavy personal story and then as you are leveling, the personal story is a steady but quieter backdrop to the other stories you'll come across ie political, military, underworld, etc type stories. your choices affect how those play out as well. so it s a combination of class and personal choices that makes the entire leveling process unique.

No, nobody ever said that the 200 hours would get you to max level. I mean 200 hours in an MMO isn't really that much. If that's all it was people would be max level rather quickly. The 200 hour average is only referring to the number of hours to get through your class story.

Edit: Altho I'm sure that by the time you do finish your class story you will be max level, but you will have done a lot of other stuff along the way as well.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by SaintViktor

The graphics aren't bad but they aren't the greatest either. This game needs Mass Effect type graphics or even the original Dragon Age type graphics.

Nailed it. I would say they are just below LOTRO. Out of all the games Ive played, AoC has the best graphics followed by LOTRO. TOR's graphics are good enough for the graphical style they went with but arent that great. I wish they would have stepped this up to be comprable to LOTRO's graphics.

Originally posted by donjuanagain

Nailed it. I would say they are just below LOTRO. Out of all the games Ive played, AoC has the best graphics followed by LOTRO. TOR's graphics are good enough for the graphical style they went with but arent that great. I wish they would have stepped this up to be comprable to LOTRO's graphics.

I think they're on par with those of Lotro in my personal opinion, perhaps a bit better. I still don't like the cartoon style, but the graphics themselves is easily on par with Lotro.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So a friend of mine I havent talked to in over a year calls me out of the blue yesterday. Wouldnt you know it, hes been playing ToR for the past 7 months haha. I asked him about the graphics. He said the landscapes are better than any released mmo to date. He also said that the range of emotions and facial expressions makes tor really stand out in the character graphics dept. But he did state that the character bodies and interactive objects look pretty basic. Who knows, maybe they will overhaul those as well. He did say that the graphics have improved dramatically since he's been playing.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by donjuanagain

I think they're on par with those of Lotro in my personal opinion, perhaps a bit better. I still don't like the cartoon style, but the graphics themselves is easily on par with Lotro.

I wholeheartedly disagree. As having seen the game, the level of detail compared to LOTRO just isnt there for me. The detail of the armour in LOTRO compared to TOR isnt even close.  However, that could be due to the game being in beta testing etc. Is it possible the graphics could be turned up a few notches by the develepors for launch?

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Foomerang

/offtopic again

No, nobody ever said that the 200 hours would get you to max level. I mean 200 hours in an MMO isn't really that much. If that's all it was people would be max level rather quickly. The 200 hour average is only referring to the number of hours to get through your class story.

Edit: Altho I'm sure that by the time you do finish your class story you will be max level, but you will have done a lot of other stuff along the way as well.

I think that it was Erickson who stated that when you're done with chapter 3 of your class storyline, you're close to level cap.

In that time you won't have spent all your leveling and gameplay just doing Class Quests though. There'll have been a sizeable portion of World Quests and such that you've done as well, or as he stated, things that helped you level.

As for LotrO, I think that SWTOR is on the level of a LotrO, the character models of SWTOR are better than the LotrO char models and the environment graphics of SWTOR are on par with LotrO if not better.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The animation is ok for looking proper,but it has very little realism as it looks to be one dimensional.There is nothing that moves on the character ,example clothing moving or breathing nothing realistic.Also the animation looks blocky when turning ,it only looks normal when moving in a straight line.

The character models and animations just look off to me. I think that is what bugs me the most. I have to agree with a lot of people that the environments look pretty darn good.

How come they didn't use motion capture for their animations, like AoC did and other games such as Assassins Creed.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by DJJazzy

The character models and animations just look off to me. I think that is what bugs me the most. I have to agree with a lot of people that the environments look pretty darn good.

How come they didn't use motion capture for their animations, like AoC did and other games such as Assassins Creed.

They did.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Atlan99

They did.

Hmm, didn't look like it. Oh well.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Atlan99

They did.

Hmm, didn't look like it. Oh well.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110318

• esos24esos24 Member Posts: 34

It's looking AWESOME :)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

OH its 200 hrs per class story. If u do empire for one and republic for another character they have 0 quests the same. While a trooper and jedi may share some things like planetary quests not sure how much gameply per class story same side may be same. 

Then u have planetary stories for the 17 major planets and the minor ones which are numerous plus one pve planet thats all story at end game. This game has plenty to do as far as class story. They say one part of a class story is more then they had in mass effect altogether.

As for graphics having played aoc lotro and wow i like wows the best. Forsaken world is prettier then all 3 of them together. Tor graphics look awesome and every review i read since biggining of the season of game shows says graphics are awesome.

So say what u will based on camcorder recordings and screen shots not being real but the proof is in what people who have actually played it say and every review ive read loves them. 

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by keithian

After watching the latest videos, I am convinced that Bioware has improved the environments 100% from just a year ago, including the animations. When I watch the first 30-45 seconds of the video below and focus on the environments, there is not one game out there that matches it in my opinion. Very detailed and perfect for the Star Wars Universe we are looking for.  I'm not talking about the game play which I think has to show case two of the worst players in MMO history lol, just the enviroments. Now I haven't tried FInal Fantasy because I knew what a disaster that was going to be, but even if the artistry is not your thing the ambiance they have created is top notch...especially considering this is not the final build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnXws_37xs&hd=1

Updated:

This video is easier on the eyes because a turd isn't playing it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMbI30KKJ0

I guess u never played Rift or EVE Online on high end graphics. SWTOR looks like Hello Kitty online compared to this games, also compared to GW 2 ...

I can wait to hear how disapointed fans will be of this game. I will be here with other veteran mmorpgers, to tell. "NO WAI?!!"

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i agree mavrick and i read a review on torwars by a fan not a game writer he loved the graphics said they were awesome.

everythng ive read or seen about tor the graphics look awesome only in the ones where they are hand held cameras do the graphics look iffy. Thats because its a hand held camera.

IM sorry i will listen to people who play the game at game conventions saying how good the graphics look and not the haters on here who just want tor to fail for there own petty reasons.

First off i never want any game to fail. The more games that succeed not matter sandbox, themepark or sub or free 2 play or buy to play is good for gamers.

The more games are a success the better it is for us as gamers cause in the end it means more choices and more diversity to choose from.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by ioryadragon

I can wait to hear how disapointed fans will be of this game. I will be here with other veteran mmorpgers, to tell. "NO WAI?!!"

I think allot of the naysayers will be pleasantly surprised by ToR.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by ioryadragon

Gloating for something as petty and simple as a game to fail and wanting others not enjoy a game is kind of... I don't know, silly, don't you think? Not something that grown up, well balanced adults should do?

Think it has something to do with this genre, how few and far between AAA games can be, and when one's done especially well, we've had years of almost nothing but clones of that successful game - so of course, we don't want the next big one to be one we personally consider the worst, in terms of our own preferences.  From what I can tell, the genre is finally moving forward, but TOR has the potential to send the genre reeling backwards again, if it does too well.

Even if TOR turns out to be terrible, you've got all these casual players who'll only try one MMO after WoW, and if all the hype and advertising succeeds, it could reach that critical mass, where it'll keep growing and growing, as the next standard household name of an MMO that everyone knows about.

I'd personally hate seeing it at the top of the MMO heap, since the more I've learned about it, the more it just sounds terrible to me.  Terrible enough that even if I don't want to see it "fail" per se, I just don't want to see it at the top, but I do think it deserves to fail.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Artstyle + graphics > Artstyle > graphics

This means i like the look of SWTOR a lot [and i mean A LOT] more than AoC.

However i also like the look of GW2 a lot more than SWTOR.

Don't know what people wan't from TOR looks, imo it is pretty good. Hard to expect from MMO Witcher-2-like graphics [when maxed]